Can we stop the nonsense?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
This issue has been brought up before but it needs to take a different route this time.

This forum has pretty much deteriorated into a flamefest. I am guilty - you are guilty - damned near all of us are guilty, no matter how subtle or sly you think your post was (I wish I was as creative as some of you though ;) :p).
The quality of this weekend's threads/posts are appalling and it needs to stop - NOW!!

We've tried calling out the Mods to do something by posting threads here asking them to moderate - it hasn't happened.
We've tried calling out the Mods to do something by posting in "Forum Issues" - nothing has happened.
The only thing I can think of is that they don't wish to take sides (wise indeed) with doling out vacations/bans and are content with letting us destroy this P&N Forum so they can just shut it down and then not have to deal with it. I do not wish for them to close this forum and I hope that you don't either, but it is the only reason I can think of for their obvious lack of policing. This is not an attack on the Mods in any way - I understand their dilemma and I seriously can't blame them for what they have (haven't) done. WE are the problem - not them.

So I don't know exactly how we can save this forum but I'm sure a few of you have some ideas - SERIOUS IDEAS ONLY PLEASE. One such "idea" that was thrown out somewhere (I don't remember exactly where or by whom) was to "police" our own "side", however it isn't perfect either since some topics by nature are blatantly partisan - but it would be a start. Anyone have any workable suggestions?

We seem to have lost one member tonight due to the quality (or rather the lack there of) of the posting, and I'm sure there are many who have silently left due to the same reasons. Remember - WE are the problem - WE need to solve it - not the Mods.

Sincerely,
CADkindaGUY

/me steps off of soapbox

---

Sticky with thanks and full support from your friendly neighborhood AnandTech Moderators.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I agree with all of the ideas you presented and would go along with a no flame policy.

The question of how to enforce it is tricky but can be worked out.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Well, it's not a solution, but if everyone just accepted that everyone has their own point of view, is entitled to it, and you likely will not change that we might be able to have rational discussions. Also, no matter how much we disagree, we could avoid name calling and off hand comments meant to be veiled personal attacks while sticking to the discussion at hand.

While it will be far from easy, if an attack is directed at you, simply don't respond to it.

Edit:

Oh, I almost forgot...how about using lots of postive emoticons? ;)

:beer::D:cool::gift::heart::light::moon::music:
rose.gif
:):sun::wine:;) <--Like these!

;):Q:D

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
I think it's as easy as ignoring the obvious trolls and flames. I've been trying to ... it's really hard ... but I'm trying :p ;)

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The no flame policy should extend to all people though, not just those on this forum.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Who did we lose? edit: NM, found the thread.

I agree, the flaming must stop, deflecting threads Off topic should stop too.

Piano Man

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
This issue has been brought up before but it needs to take a different route this time.

This forum has pretty much deteriorated into a flamefest. I am guilty - you are guilty - dasm near all of us are guilty, no matter how subtle or sly you think your post was(I wish I was as creative as some of you though;):p).
The quality of this weekend's threads/posts are appalling and it needs to stop - NOW!!

We've tried calling out the Mods to do something by posting threads here asking them to moderate - it hasn't happened.
We've tried calling out the Mods to do something by posting in "Forum Issues" - nothing has happened.
The only thing I can think of is that they don't wish to take sides(wise indeed) with doling out vacations/bans and are content with letting us destroy this P&N Forum so they can just shut it down and then not have to deal with it. I do not wish for them to close this forum and I hope that you don't either, but it is the only reason I can think of for their obvious lack of policing. This is not an attack on the Mods in any way - I understand their dilemma and I seriously can't blame them for what they have(haven't) done. WE are the problem - not them.

So I don't know exactly how we can save this forum but I'm sure a few of you have some ideas - SERIOUS IDEAS ONLY PLEASE. One such "idea" that was thrown out somewhere(I don't remember exactly where or by whom) was to "police" our own "side", however it isn't perfect either since some topics by nature are blatantly partisan - but it would be a start. Anyone have any workable suggestions?

We seem to have lost one member tonight due to the quality (or rather the lack there of) of the posting, and I'm sure there are many who have silently left due to the same reasons. Remember - WE are the problem - WE need to solve it - not the Mods.

Sincerely,
CADkindaGUY

/me steps off of soapbox

I'm all for this.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
as long as there are threads started with the sole purpose to bash on the French I will resort to flaming.
these threads are racist from nature and people like Dari are accusing me from being antisemite because I'm European.

you just have to look am my sigh to see what kind of people frequent this forum

you call me anisemite, i call you a trailerparktrash cattlehumper

simple

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
When the cat's away the mice act like rats.
---------------

This forum has pretty much deteriorated into a flamefest. I am guilty - you are guilty - dasm near all of us are guilty, no matter how subtle or sly you think your post was(I wish I was as creative as some of you though).
------------------------
Up your ass. Why don't you speak for your God Damned self. I don't want to be included in your sudden neurotic guilt trip. You are the thing you can stop now. You stop yourself if you got an itch. Goodie two shoes runs to the center of the ring. Hey hey everybody we got to stop. Look at me, we got to stop. You could have stopped long ago.
--------------
-------------------------------
You stop
----------------
---------------------------
You stop.
--------------------------------
The only thing I can think of is that they don't wish to take sides(wise indeed) with doling out vacations/bans and are content with letting us destroy this P&N Forum so they can just shut it down and then not have to deal with it. I do not wish for them to close this forum and I hope that you don't either, but it is the only reason I can think of for their obvious lack of policing. This is not an attack on the Mods in any way - I understand their dilemma and I seriously can't blame them for what they have(haven't) done.
-----------------------------
Shut your stupid face. You stop
-------------------------
WE are the problem - not them
-------------------------------------
The only part of we you have control over is you. You stop being the problem.
------------------------
So I don't know exactly how we can save this forum but I'm sure a few of you have some ideas
-------------------
Yeah, shut your stupid face
--------------------------
- SERIOUS IDEAS ONLY PLEASE.
--------------------------
Seriously
---------------------
One such "idea" that was thrown out somewhere(I don't remember exactly where or by whom) was to "police" our own "side", however it isn't perfect either since some topics by nature are blatantly partisan - but it would be a start. Anyone have any workable suggestions?
-------------------------------------
Police your god damned self.
---------------------------------
----------------------------------
You are the problem. You know what to do.

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
I totally agree that it is YOU, with self-interests that must set the example for as how to post here.

Trying to police other individuals is like the US trying to make all the Iraqis follow a certain line -- it's not going to happen. The moderators have obviously left this area to our own self-moderation, because politics are almost unmoderatable. If someone here is whining, it gives the appearance that they are doing so because they can't take the heat that they feel they are always losing in their fight to make everyone believe what they believe. And it does seem a lot of whining is coming from a side where their bush hero is losing face on his fight and they can't stand to be wrong or on a losing side.

YOU, as an individual must play by the rules you want/expect around here. If others step out of line, raze over it and take the higher road. You have many options, including just glossing over the post, responding in a non-aggressive/non-namecalling way, putting a certain individual on IGNORE, private message the individual with your off-topic retort/namecalling/etc. and etc.

I know I've been called names many times be a certain individual around here, but I haven't resorted and lowered myself down to follow his childish tactic. And it never caused me a moment of sweat or stress, because I took the high road and ignored that word. Actually I saw the humor of the situation and got a chuckle out of it. ;-)

I'm all for peace around here and amicable talks/discussions and even acknowledging that we can agree to disagree. I wish we all could do that. But there will always be some silly fuddy duddies around a forum to throw a wrench into the water. Rise above responding to it. All will be well. :)

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: freegeeks
as long as there are threads started with the sole purpose to bash on the French I will resort to flaming.
these threads are racist from nature and people like Dari are accusing me from being antisemite because I'm European.

simple

This is the problem.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
We're all supposed to be adults here, so it looks like the Mods give us all the rope we need to hang ourselves with
before they step in and snuff the guilty party. If they boot someone it's pretty obvious why.
I still question why some threads get the lock, Mods personal response I guess, their perogative.

There are a few here that throw out a subject and sit back, coiled like a snake waiting to pounce if someone
does have the audacity to speak thier mind and it falls outside the preconceived constraints of the originator.
All of us have had threads that we wanted to lead into a serious discussion crapped on -
which totally hijacked the threrad and it died as a result of the continuity being lost.

Whenever I have run into a situatuion that goes 'out of scope' I don't contact the moderator, I either make the
party aware of their transgression, or PM them off of the forum. Granted, some are way too quick to begin
personal insults in the heat of emotional battle, but just think - what if they were behind the wheel of a car during
rush hours on the Hollywood freeway, or were in a Urban Combat situation with a live M-240 on their lap.
You got to think - and be responsible for the action you take.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx

simple

This is the problem.

if people like you and Dari would stop with dragging the French in EVERY thread, I'll stop flaming. It's that simple.

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Unfortunately there is a lot of unexplainable, unnecessary, childish bias against the French here in America.

It's only because the lemmings see their leader doing it, so they jump on the bandwagon and do it too, freegeeks.

Not just the french thing, but that's a lot of the mentality here in America; it doesn't make it right, or excuse it, but I'm just pointing it out. It's something a lot of us have learned to live with by ignoring it.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: phillyTIM
Unfortunately there is a lot of unexplainable, unnecessary, childish bias against the French here in America.

It's only because the lemmings see their leader doing it, so they jump on the bandwagon and do it too, freegeeks.

Not just the french thing, but that's a lot of the mentality here in America; it doesn't make it right, or excuse it, but I'm just pointing it out. It's something a lot of us have learned to live with by ignoring it.

Well, that didn't take long.

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: etech

Well, that didn't take long.

...got to love "highjackings" taking place in the 'stop the nonsense' threads. Our efforts seem futile

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
I didn't direct anything against anyone specific around here. Chill out, man; we're hashing things out, don't be so quick to jump the gun.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm chill, I also don't see the need under this new 'policy' to resort to calling people lemmings. That is the point of this discussion.

Is it necessary to call people names to get your point across?

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
I think you're being a tad too sensitive about this, as I have mentioned that it wasn't addressed to anyone around here. Let's not take this policy too far as to not allow a non-specific-named example.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I think you're being a tad too sensitive about this, as I have mentioned that it wasn't addressed to anyone around here. Let's not take this policy too far as to not allow a non-specific-named example.

What if some thinks they are being clever by "not naming a specific group" but it is obvious who they are talking about? Doesn't that subvert the policy and lead us all right back down the same path?

Why do you feel the need to call some broad "unnamed" group of people names?

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx

simple

This is the problem.

if people like you and Dari would stop with dragging the French in EVERY thread, I'll stop flaming. It's that simple.
Well, let me ask you this then:

What is the difference between Galt asking for regime change in France because of the French incompetence during the heat wave versus "Bush is a Moron, Regime change now"?