Can someone help me find a good laptop under $1000 with the following features ?

FlameTail

Platinum Member
Dec 15, 2021
So I am looking to buy a good laptop under $1000 with the following

■Features I NEED: I cant live without these. My laptop definitely needs to have them!

☆Atleast 1080p screen.
☆NVMe SSD
☆Screen Size 13-16 inch
☆AMD CPU with minimum 6 cores
☆Good Build Quality
☆Good Durability and Reliability
☆Weight below 2kg.
☆Minimum 8 GB RAM / 256 GB storage
☆A reasonably powerful iGPU and/or discrete GPU

■Features I WANT: I would like to have these features. Don't mind if one isn't present, as long as the others are.

• Screen brightness atleast more than 350 nits
• Good Webcam
• Good Speakers
• 16:10 Display.
• 8+ hours of Battery life.
• Good Trackpad
• Good Keyboard

■Features I DESIRE: Would like to have the following features but can live without any of them.

-Matte Screen ( i would be good with a glossy screen because i have NEVER use my laptop outdoors )

- 2-in-1 Form Factor/ 360° Hinge ( Either a clamshell or 2-in-1 would be good )

- Touchscreen

- Cellular connectivity

- A fingerprint sensor or Windows Hello. (Face unlock/fingerprint sensor would be nice to have. But I don't think I need them really. My current laptop (quite old) has neither of them. I don't mind using a password to login.)

- High Refresh Rate Screen/ultra high power dGPU. (I am not a 'devoted' gamer).

- Bloatware Free ( Don't mind having Bloatware out of the box as long as it can be uninstalled. )

■Features I don't want:

- RGB LEDs
- Weird second screens or other crazy stuff
- Issues ( Widespread Problems with the screen, battery, track pad, keyboard etc.. that arise after a few months of usage or right out of the box. )

I don't mind if it's a gaming laptop, business or laptop or normal laptop, I want the above listed features.

I am open to Laptops from all brands. I think its unfair to label one brand as good, and another as bad. A brand can have one good laptop model, while the rest of the other dozen laptops it sells are just straight up garbage.

So can anyone help me find one please ? Laptop Geeks ?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
While I do not have time to go laptop shopping for you, I will say you are going to need to narrow down your list of wants for that price point. You are basically asking for a good all around machine for a budget price. And limiting yourself to AMD only REALLY limits your options. AMD CPU's are great, but no getting around the fact that most laptops are Intel powered.

• Haha
Reactions: Oyeve

FlameTail

Platinum Member
Dec 15, 2021
While I do not have time to go laptop shopping for you, I will say you are going to need to narrow down your list of wants for that price point. You are basically asking for a good all around machine for a budget price. And limiting yourself to AMD only REALLY limits your options. AMD CPU's are great, but no getting around the fact that most laptops are Intel powered.

I must say I kinda agree

I really like the HP Pavilion Aero 13. Fantastic all around laptop. Costs around 800 USD where I live.

1. One problem is that it doesn't have a discrete graphics card.

2. Another problem is that the Realtek WiFi card that it comes with is said to be temperamental.

I can buy an external GPU and a Intel modem to fix those two issues. Would that be work ?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I must say I kinda agree

I really like the HP Pavilion Aero 13. Fantastic all around laptop. Costs around 800 USD where I live.

1. One problem is that it doesn't have a discrete graphics card.

2. Another problem is that the Realtek WiFi card that it comes with is said to be temperamental.

I can buy an external GPU and a Intel modem to fix those two issues. Would that be work ?

For the price of an external GPU enclosure and GPU, you would be money ahead to just buy a laptop that comes with one. GPU's are outrageously expensive right now and hard to find.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
So I am looking to buy a good laptop under $1000 with the following

■Features I NEED: I cant live without these. My laptop definitely needs to have them!

☆Atleast 1080p screen.
☆NVMe SSD
☆Screen Size 13-16 inch
☆AMD CPU with minimum 6 cores
☆Good Build Quality
☆Good Durability and Reliability
☆Weight below 2kg.
☆Minimum 8 GB RAM / 256 GB storage
☆A reasonably powerful iGPU and/or discrete GPU

■Features I WANT: I would like to have these features. Don't mind if one isn't present, as long as the others are.

• Screen brightness atleast more than 350 nits
• Good Webcam
• Good Speakers
• 16:10 Display.
• 8+ hours of Battery life.
• Good Trackpad
• Good Keyboard

■Features I DESIRE: Would like to have the following features but can live without any of them.

-Matte Screen ( i would be good with a glossy screen because i have NEVER use my laptop outdoors )

- 2-in-1 Form Factor/ 360° Hinge ( Either a clamshell or 2-in-1 would be good )

- Touchscreen

- Cellular connectivity

- A fingerprint sensor or Windows Hello. (Face unlock/fingerprint sensor would be nice to have. But I don't think I need them really. My current laptop (quite old) has neither of them. I don't mind using a password to login.)

- High Refresh Rate Screen/ultra high power dGPU. (I am not a 'devoted' gamer).

- Bloatware Free ( Don't mind having Bloatware out of the box as long as it can be uninstalled. )

■Features I don't want:

- RGB LEDs
- Weird second screens or other crazy stuff
- Issues ( Widespread Problems with the screen, battery, track pad, keyboard etc.. that arise after a few months of usage or right out of the box. )

I don't mind if it's a gaming laptop, business or laptop or normal laptop, I want the above listed features.

I am open to Laptops from all brands. I think its unfair to label one brand as good, and another as bad. A brand can have one good laptop model, while the rest of the other dozen laptops it sells are just straight up garbage.

So can anyone help me find one please ? Laptop Geeks ?

I have to ask: what apps do you intend to use? Are you certain to play games? Are you chained to Windows?

I ask because a MacBook Air with an M1 chip would easily fit the requirements if you just want a system whose graphics won't choke on everyday use and the occasional game. Great screen, fast SSD, built well, excellent keyboard/trackpad, lasts ages on battery. It also has a few of your nice-to-haves, such as zero bloatware and a fingerprint reader. It's really just a question of whether the apps you want are available, and whether you're open to a Mac.

FlameTail

Platinum Member
Dec 15, 2021
For the price of an external GPU enclosure and GPU, you would be money ahead to just buy a laptop that comes with one. GPU's are outrageously expensive right now and hard to find.

Thanks guys for you replies. Much appreciated.

As Stuka87 said, an external GPU is very expensive, in fact extremely expensive where i live.

So I have decided to settle on the ROG Zephyrus G14. Really nice laptop it is. Hoping to get it in the coming few months.

FlameTail

Platinum Member
Dec 15, 2021
I have to ask: what apps do you intend to use? Are you certain to play games? Are you chained to Windows?

I ask because a MacBook Air with an M1 chip would easily fit the requirements if you just want a system whose graphics won't choke on everyday use and the occasional game. Great screen, fast SSD, built well, excellent keyboard/trackpad, lasts ages on battery. It also has a few of your nice-to-haves, such as zero bloatware and a fingerprint reader. It's really just a question of whether the apps you want are available, and whether you're open to a Mac.

I must admit i do not like MacOS. Apple Hardware is good but the software isn't- for me.