Bush's Fantastic Economy:Americans declaring Bankruptcy, contemplating suicide, can't compete with India at 1/6 of wages

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
1-22-2004 Snow Says CAD's beloved BLS Report Flawed, May Have Understated Growth

U.S. Treasury Secretary John Snow said on Wednesday the Labor Department (news - web sites)'s December report on employment may have understated jobs growth.

"There is some question about the accuracy of these statistics."

"There is a big error factor in those numbers ... and I think they may well have understated and we will see a restatement in the future," Snow told WDAY radio station in North Dakota.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: etech
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
1-22-2004 Kodak Lays Off 15,000

NEW YORK - Eastman Kodak Co. said Thursday it will slash its work force by 20 percent and take up to $1.7 billion in charges over the next three years as the company accelerates a painful shift away from the waning film photography market.

as the company accelerates a painful shift away from the waning film photography market

Dave, you are turning into a luddite.

Does that mean you think he is an oligophrenic biped that has more teeth than brain cells? If so, I couldn't agree more.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Ultra Quiet

NEW YORK - Eastman Kodak Co. said Thursday it will slash its work force by 20 percent and take up to $1.7 billion in charges over the next three years as the company accelerates a painful shift away from the waning film photography market.

as the company accelerates a painful shift away from the waning film photography market

Does that mean you think he is an oligophrenic biped that has more teeth than brain cells? If so, I couldn't agree more.

Why thank you. I'd rather have a small brain and use most of it than larged brained and only use 10% like most people.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

No surprise here. I thought this would have happened years ago. Take a look folks, digital photography is taking jobs away from the old film producing industry. Maybe Dave will support a movement to ban all digital cameras in the US for a throw back to film so we can support our own people. How about it Dave?

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003

He is a luddite for quoting the article verbatim? He did not even add his own comment. You guys are turning into bullies beating on Dave every time he posts. Get a life.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Ldir

He is a luddite for quoting the article verbatim? He did not even add his own comment. You guys are turning into bullies beating on Dave every time he posts. Get a life.

It's not only OK LDir, it's great, they've given me the inspiration to get back on the airwaves, hopefully they would like to be guests on my show.

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Maybe you should rename this to "Clinton's Fantastic Recession"

Economists Say Recession Started in 2000

"The last recession may have started in the last months of the Clinton administration rather than at the beginning of the Bush administration. "

"Presidents don't have so much to do, in my opinion, with when recessions start,"

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Gr1mL0cK
Maybe you should rename this to "Clinton's Fantastic Recession"

Economists Say Recession Started in 2000

"The last recession may have started in the last months of the Clinton administration rather than at the beginning of the Bush administration. "

"Presidents don't have so much to do, in my opinion, with when recessions start,"

Why rename it since Bush swears it ended just a few months later in November? :confused:

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
I work for Kodak.
Trust me, the layoffs have absolutely nothing to do with the current economic state.
If you weren't such a fvcking idiot, you would realize that the Kodak brand name is associated primarily with a dying industry called photographic film.
Kodak will basically have to reinvent themselves as a leader in digital imaging if they want to survive. This has been their goal for the past few years but is difficult when you are competing against other companies with a stronger background in digital technologies. Reducing expenses is the only way they can survive when sales of their highest volume products are shrinking and their new technologies are not yet profitable.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Shanti
I work for Kodak.
Trust me, the layoffs have absolutely nothing to do with the current economic state.
If you weren't such a fvcking idiot, you would realize that the Kodak brand name is associated primarily with a dying industry called photographic film.
Kodak will basically have to reinvent themselves as a leader in digital imaging if they want to survive. This has been their goal for the past few years but is difficult when you are competing against other companies with a stronger background in digital technologies. Reducing expenses is the only way they can survive when sales of their highest volume products are shrinking and their new technologies are not yet profitable.

Are you sure Kodak can't blame Bush for this problem? According to Dave & Co, everything that is bad in the world is Bush's fault.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Dave,
I suggest you rename the thread "Economic Tri-tricklelation--- AKA---The Umpa Lumpa Parade"

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
I heard on KNX 1070 out of LA, Ca. tonight that the most recent analysis of jobs activity here indicates the average job losses average $55000 per annum per capita and the jobs gains is $34000. Looking for a link .. if anyone else read this I'd like to get into the details..

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
DirtBoy,
Are you sure Kodak can't blame Bush for this problem? According to Dave & Co, everything that is bad in the world is Bush's fault.
I don't think that is the case at all. The issue is not really whose fault it is that Kodak or whoever is suffering but, rather, and where the discussion ought to be focused on in Washington... What is it that can be done?
Bush is no more to blame for anything but what he can control and impliment.. The two economic stimuli needed better direction and the congress ought to have allowed maybe 750b in '03 given the state of the economy. IMO.
We are in a growth mode, no one can deny that or debate reasonably that we're not. But, we're also in a jobs problem. One Economic Professor friend said yesterday that (unverified by me) todays GDP (I think he said GDP) should have supported 2.5 million more jobs if you look at just the numbers. That this is a whole new ball game and NO ONE is fully sure which tweak where is the right tweak to enact. Folks, he said, are simply looking for more data to analyze.. before committing to one direction or another.
I guess it is the fault of the Economists..

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Who is holding the sky up in New York and Georgia?

1-23-2004 Hefty Layoffs Feed Georgia's Jobless

Atlanta - Georgia posted the nation's second-largest increase in jobless claims due to large-scale layoffs, according to a Bureau of Labor Statistics report.

Only the state of New York had a larger increase than Georgia.

Edit: More great local layoffs:

1-23-2004 SRS Nukes 300 Jobs

AIKEN, S.C. - About 300 people working at the Savannah River Site near here will be laid off, officials from contractor Westinghouse Savannah River Co. said Thursday.

Westinghouse employs more than 11,000 workers at SRS, the former nuclear weapons complex.

"I would ask that all of you be particularly understanding of the stress and distraction that job losses can cause for everyone," the email said. "I would ask everyone to maintain your focus on the task at hand and work safely."
--------------------------------------------------------
This facility is just a few exits up I-85 from me, live closer to the South Carolina line than Atlanta. Actually drive through the site as a short cut to get to the Georgia coast.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: dirtboy
I work for Kodak.

I'm waiting for the Dave thread about how Bush invented digital photography as part of a diabolical conspiracy aimed at deporting gay people.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: dirtboy
I work for Kodak.

I'm waiting for the Dave thread about how Bush invented digital photography as part of a diabolical conspiracy aimed at deporting gay people.

Do you want a Tinfoil Hat? :D

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
1-23-2004 Foreign Tech Workers Finding Jobs Stateside In Healthier Economy

Is there still a shortage of skilled U.S. tech workers?

Was there really one at the height of the tech boom?

Broad studies of employment and pay cast some doubt on that widely held belief, which in years past spurred the nation to let in more foreign workers.

Yet corporate America claims the shortage was real. Some recruiters say it lasted even through the downturn, and persists today amid some new challenges.

Companies still have a hard time finding qualified tech workers, says Jason Kreuser, a recruiter at New York software developer Information Builders Inc. He says talent from abroad often arrives versed in the technical knowledge needed to do the nitty-gritty programming his company needs.

Why is there any need for foreign workers as U.S. firms continue slashing tech jobs?

That's a matter of debate. On one hand, data suggest a surplus of certain skilled U.S. workers. On the other, some companies say when looking for specific technical expertise, they have to widen their horizons beyond U.S. borders.

A study out Wednesday from the Washington, D.C.-based Economic Policy Institute found that after the recession's job losses, growth in higher-paying fields is giving way, in nearly all states, to lower-paying industries.

People Get Ready

"Most responsible for this shift are declines in the manufacturing and information sectors and a rise in leisure and hospitality, which has more lower-paid jobs"

Cost pressure and desire for profit has led many U.S. firms to outsource to countries like India, where wages for skilled workers are lower. Is the same frugality afoot when firms hire foreign workers on visas?

Are some of those foreigners filling jobs that could be held by Americans? Research on things like tech pay bolsters the view, says Michael Teitelbaum, a noted demographer at the nonprofit Alfred P. Sloan Foundation in New York.

"The H1B program and its tripling was basically the product of political lobbying by a few companies and industries and immigration attorneys," he said.

No Pay Increases

"In the extraordinary boom of the Internet, the boom in telecom, the Y2K boom - with all that happening simultaneously, you would have expected pay to rise," said Teitelbaum. "It didn't turn up in the data."

He says shortsighted planning in the tech industry leads to a greater reliance on foreign workers. Planning a little further ahead would allow better employment prospects and specific on-the-job tech training for Americans.

--------------------------------------------------------------
"Yet corporate America claims the shortage was real. Some recruiters say it lasted even through the downturn, and persists today amid some new challenges." Yep, let em all in an give them a License and Citizenship.

athithi

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002
Dave:

Yep, let em all in an give them a License and Citizenship.

How about someone like me? I got a job here because they said there was a shortage. I haven't been unemployed a single day of my life starting 2 months after I graduated. I have worked 16 months in India and 6 years and 2 months in the US. I have made between 50k and 85k per year over the past 6 years. In this economy, you could pay two American progammers with what I make. I am a Permanent Resident.

In or Out? :|

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: athithi
Dave:

Yep, let em all in an give them a License and Citizenship.

How about someone like me? I got a job here because they said there was a shortage. I haven't been unemployed a single day of my life starting 2 months after I graduated. I have worked 16 months in India and 6 years and 2 months in the US. I have made between 50k and 85k per year over the past 6 years. In this economy, you could pay two American progammers with what I make. I am a Permanent Resident.

In or Out? :|

Not the same, did you come across the border undocumented?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
More great Layoffs of all those slacker workers and send their work to India:

1-25-2004 Midwest Retailer Meijer Trims 1,900 Positions

WALKER, Mich. - Meijer Inc. has eliminated about 1,900 management positions in a reorganization effort, the family-owned grocery and merchandise retailer said Saturday.

"As part of our continual transformation, we have been studying the industry's best practices," Meijer spokesman John Zimmerman said. "As a result, we have determined we need to streamline our stores' supervisory structure in each store."

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Dave,
After 18 years with Sandicast, a San Diego maker of animal sculptures, Puth lost his job as supervisor of manufacturing when the company shipped production to China last June.

As the job went west, the 40-year-old father of four saw his standard of living go south. With an annual income of $38,000, Puth had not been getting rich. With the job loss, the East San Diego resident faced the prospect of becoming poor.

Unfortunately, he's had lots of company.

A national study of job trends released this week by the Economic Policy Institute, or EPI, found that jobs created since 2001 pay 21 percent less than the jobs that were lost during that period.

And that's not to mention the relatively small number of jobs created overall.

Moreover, the shift toward lower-wage jobs has been more pronounced in California than elsewhere.

EPI found that new jobs in the Golden State pay 40 percent less than those that were lost during the recession.

The reason I couldn't find a link to my few days ago statement that jobs were paying a lot less today in California is cuz it just got published in the San Diego Union..

This is partly the reason California has a budget issue.. lower wages pay lower taxes and there it is..

razor2025

Diamond Member
May 24, 2002
LOL, and it's really funny how our Anti-Dave people here just keeps on ignoring the statistics. You can disregard a few sets of numbers as faulty, misleading, or outright incorrect. Yet, if you keep on getting numbers that tells the same story over and over again, you HAVE to recognize that there's a problem. A "growing" economy without increase in jobs simply means that Corporate America is profiteering themselves at the cost of our future.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: LunarRay
Dave,
After 18 years with Sandicast, a San Diego maker of animal sculptures, Puth lost his job as supervisor of manufacturing when the company shipped production to China last June.

As the job went west, the 40-year-old father of four saw his standard of living go south. With an annual income of $38,000, Puth had not been getting rich. With the job loss, the East San Diego resident faced the prospect of becoming poor.

Unfortunately, he's had lots of company.

A national study of job trends released this week by the Economic Policy Institute, or EPI, found that jobs created since 2001 pay 21 percent less than the jobs that were lost during that period.

And that's not to mention the relatively small number of jobs created overall.

Moreover, the shift toward lower-wage jobs has been more pronounced in California than elsewhere.

EPI found that new jobs in the Golden State pay 40 percent less than those that were lost during the recession.

The reason I couldn't find a link to my few days ago statement that jobs were paying a lot less today in California is cuz it just got published in the San Diego Union..

This is partly the reason California has a budget issue.. lower wages pay lower taxes and there it is..

"We are trying to produce a higher standard of living, and it's very difficult to get real per capita income gains when you have a lack of middle-income jobs," said Cox. "We need to concentrate on creating industries that create those middle-income jobs. We cannot raise the incomes of people in the service industries to middle income."

"The experts say all the jobs being created are in the low-paying industries, but that is where the jobs are coming," said Butkiewicz. "We are going to be a tourist town and the question is, what kind of jobs will we create in tourism."

But Jerry Butkiewicz, who leads the San Diego-Imperial Counties Labor Council, says public policy can help raise standards in lower-paying industries.

8-2-2000 California Workers Challenge 'Dubya' Bush on Facts of Texas Record

Dismayed by the Republican convention's inaccurate portrayals of George Bush's record on working family issues as governor of Texas, California workers will take the facts to work in order to educate co-workers and union members.

"When we heard what these anti-worker politicians were saying about George Bush's record, we said someone has to tell the truth," said Jerry Butkiewicz, executive secretary-treasurer of the San Diego Labor Council.

"It's beginning to look like the 'W' in George W. Bush stands for Wrong. Wrong on vouchers and education, wrong in opposing a minimum wage increase, wrong on the Patients Bill of Rights in healthcare.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh what's the matter with all these people back then in 2000 and now again in 2004, can't they see Bush has done the best things for this Country, wages are the highest ever, CAD & Co told you so.