Best rock or metal riff ever ?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Jackyl: Headed for Destruction

Note: Riff is B+, but nice use of the chainsaw;)

BadNewsBears

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: grrl
Originally posted by: Kev
Zeppelin - The Ocean

Yeah, the ending with all the overdubs is quite good. But for a one-take, no overdub Zeppelin solo I'd have to choose The Lemon Song.

I'd also add Cream's live Crossroads and the third stanza of Jeff Beck's Going Down. That was WAY ahead of its time.

Omg, cream r0x0rz teh b0x0rz

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
James Gang - Funk 49 and Walk Away

Deep Purple - Lazy

Earache My Eye - Alice Bowie (Cheech & Chong)

Kick Out the Jams - MC5 (Motor City 5 - Obscure, but a real toe tapper....)

Volunteers of America / Woodstock version - Jefferson Airplane

Most J. Geils

Cat Scratch Fever - Ted Nugent

...and many others that my poor drug-rotted brain cells fail to recall...not necessarily "best of all time" but I like 'em & had fun learning to play'em.

FWIW

Scott

CurtCold

Golden Member
Aug 15, 2002
Early Metallica Riffs rule.

Also Days of the New lay the smack down on some accoustic guitars. There music is worth listening to just for the accoustic effects.

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
For me, it's gotta be a Metallica riff. I can't pick just one. And it's usually not the main riff. Most of their best riffs are hidden towards the end of the song. Ones I like include parts of Sanitarium, Frayed Ends of Sanity, Disposable Heroes....I could go on and on.

bbkat

Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Hubris
Originally posted by: Kev
or Van Halen - Ain't Talkin Bout Love

Another vote for Van Halen.

Gotta go with Eddie VH on this one. There's so many. 'Ain't Talkin' was the first to come to mind but since it's been listed, I'll throw out Unchained.

Second place I'd go w/ Randy Rhodes. Again, just about everything he did was amazing. Crazy Train was mentioned so I'll add Over the Mountain.

For Third I'll go with Slash. Welcome to the Jungle has a classic intro and I never get tired of listening to the energy in Locomotive.