Bernie out?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
Some people are easily amused...

Did you have a substantive reply? How is looking at the current situation and thinking that someone making predictions of electability in a general election this far out, in light of recent history is being easily amused. There’s a number of intervening events that could drastically skew that, and thinking that those candidates won’t look at it the same way is laughable to me. In essence, they’d be saying I would have been better than, and one of two Democrats that could have beaten Trump in a general election, but I’m not the best Democrat for the job if he’s not running against me. I just don’t see that out of them.

I think it’s highly likely Trump will be impeached, I also think it’s pretty unlikely that he will be convicted with it 67 votes in the Senate. But I would not be willing to wager more than the cost of a six pack of beer on any of those outcomes.

So that leaves him in office, and dealing with whatever political fallout there is from the process, but knowing him, he’ll draw as much blood (or at least try to for appearances) from any of his potential opponents as he can. Who knows what skeletons could come out for him or them that could linger into elections.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Did you have a substantive reply? How is looking at the current situation and thinking that someone making predictions of electability in a general election this far out, in light of recent history is being easily amused. There’s a number of intervening events that could drastically skew that, and thinking that those candidates won’t look at it the same way is laughable to me. In essence, they’d be saying I would have been better than, and one of two Democrats that could have beaten Trump in a general election, but I’m not the best Democrat for the job if he’s not running against me. I just don’t see that out of them.

I think it’s highly likely Trump will be impeached, I also think it’s pretty unlikely that he will be convicted with it 67 votes in the Senate. But I would not be willing to wager more than the cost of a six pack of beer on any of those outcomes.

So that leaves him in office, and dealing with whatever political fallout there is from the process, but knowing him, he’ll draw as much blood (or at least try to for appearances) from any of his potential opponents as he can. Who knows what skeletons could come out for him or them that could linger into elections.
I made a statement previously about how I felt! No need to extrapolate! Then somebody made a statement to which I replied and by the way my reply was totally with in the guidelines of the new P&N rules....I named no makes and prefaced my response with 'some people"......so yes on these forums alot of the time people are amused! ;)

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
My crystal ball tells me it's Biden, the Bern never did fit the DNC. Shrug

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Actual "Bernie Bros," which I seriously doubt make up any noteworthy portion of his supporters, will flock to Yang.

What do you consider a "Bernie Bro" I've supported Bernie as much as anyone in this forum (so much so that I've been accused of helping Hillary lose by some) and I'll throw my support to Elizabeth Warren if Bernie drops out...
Sen. Warren was who Bernie wanted to run in 2016... He used to appear on regularly Thom Hartmann's talk show before the 2016 campaign ramped up in earnest in 2015 and they both several times talked about who they wanted to run for 2016 and both touted Sen. Warren as a good candidate.
Had she chosen to run in 2016 it's likely that most people wouldn't know who Bernie is today.

Do I believe she's as good as Bernie? Not quite but she'd be a lot easier to urge to the left on economic issues (as she's already very left on those issues) than most other candidates past and present.

*edited for sentence clarity*

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008

Maybe Bernie is out... I'll support Sen. Warren in that case.
If Sen. Warren had run in 2016 (which Bernie Sanders who appeared on Thom Hartmann's radio show regularly before the 2016 primary encouraged along with Thom) Bernie would very likely had not have run in 2016 to push a more progressive/left position than the centrist position that ended up losing to Trump...

the media smears on Bernie exposed in the above videos have been a reason I watch no major U.S. cable news companies anymore instead I watch the youtube channels France 24 English and DW English (a German news source) as well as reading newspapers and the BBC site for my news.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
https://people.com/politics/bernie-sanders-daughter-in-law-dead-at-46/

Senator Bernie Sanders‘ family is in mourning after his daughter-in-law Dr. Rainè Riggs suddenly died over the weekend. She was 46.

Riggs tragically passed away on Saturday, just two days after the mother of three was diagnosed with neuroendocrine cancer, according to her obituaryfrom the Lee & Martin Funeral Home in Burgettstown, Pennsylvania.

Damn. Final nail in his campaign coffin? Given everything that’s happened recently I’d imagine so.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
https://people.com/politics/bernie-sanders-daughter-in-law-dead-at-46/

Senator Bernie Sanders‘ family is in mourning after his daughter-in-law Dr. Rainè Riggs suddenly died over the weekend. She was 46.

Riggs tragically passed away on Saturday, just two days after the mother of three was diagnosed with neuroendocrine cancer, according to her obituaryfrom the Lee & Martin Funeral Home in Burgettstown, Pennsylvania.

Damn. Final nail in his campaign coffin? Given everything that’s happened recently I’d imagine so.
Is there no end to the amount of murder Hillary is willing to perpetrate? She isn't even in the race this time so this must be a revenge killing.

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Don't worry apparently Obama himself may intervene if Sen. Bernie looks like he is doing too well in the primary well at least if you interpret a recent politico article in a certain way.

There is one potential exception: Back when Sanders seemed like more of a threat than he does now, Obama said privately that if Bernie were running away with the nomination, Obama would speak up to stop him. (Asked about that, a spokesperson for Obama pointed out that Obama recently said he would support and campaign for whoever the Democratic nominee is.)
When it comes to Sanders, I asked one close adviser whether Obama would really lay himself on the line to prevent a Sanders nomination. “I can’t really confirm that,” the adviser said. “He hasn’t said that directly to me. The only reason I'm hesitating at all is because, yeah, if Bernie were running away with it, I think maybe we would all have to say something. But I don't think that's likely. It's not happening.” (Another close Obama friend said, “Bernie's not a Democrat.”)

video about politico article with highlights of other videos... one 2006 video where Obama speaks favorably of Bernie and you can here Bernie answering an inquiry by President Obama... another in which Bernie challenges Obama on not cutting Social Security.

Bernie may be too old and that is a concern but there might be younger people who will carry on Bernie's fight. I hope they like Bernie can stick with their stances for decades and become a person whom the lobbyists will not try to sway because those lobbyists know beforehand that it is a wasted effort.

I admittedly may just be a dreamer for my support of Sen. Bernie Sanders....

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Don't worry apparently Obama himself may intervene if Sen. Bernie looks like he is doing too well in the primary well at least if you interpret a recent politico article in a certain way.

video about politico article with highlights of other videos... one 2006 video where Obama speaks favorably of Bernie and you can here Bernie answering an inquiry by President Obama... another in which Bernie challenges Obama on not cutting Social Security.

Bernie may be too old and that is a concern but there might be younger people who will carry on Bernie's fight. I hope they like Bernie can stick with their stances for decades and become a person whom the lobbyists will not try to sway because those lobbyists know beforehand that it is a wasted effort.

I admittedly may just be a dreamer for my support of Sen. Bernie Sanders....

Yup, gotta interpret an interview from 2016 a "certain" way but no bridge is too far when we are talking about smearing Democrats, amirite? But Trump and quid pro quo? OMG SPECULATION AND ANONYMOUS SOURCES WHERE'S THE DAMN WHISTLEBLOWER?!

Reactions: Zorba

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Yup, gotta interpret an interview from 2016 a "certain" way but no bridge is too far when we are talking about smearing Democrats, amirite? But Trump and quid pro quo? OMG SPECULATION AND ANONYMOUS SOURCES WHERE'S THE DAMN WHISTLEBLOWER?!

I have voted for the Democratic Party candidates ever since I have been able to vote. Now like it or not despite the fact that Bernie has not officially joined the Democratic Party but he has advocated for FDR style economic policies for decades he has for a long while caucused with the Democratic Party in the House and then in the Senate he gets smeared but you don't bring up the smears he gets....

Let's be clear hear I am not smearing anyone READ the F'ing article and watch the Video in it's entirety or just STFU already....

for all practical purposes when you go back and look at Bernie's record and watch old videos of the guy being very consistent in his political stances (so much so that he is ignored by lobbyists) Bernie is a 40's 50's 60's style Democrat economically speaking in everything but name only yet when I defend that I get accused of smearing....

how about this...
this is from the man himself so how am I smearing him? if you want to accuse someone of a smear take it up with Politico seriously I am done AF with people just skimming over a post and interpreting it in the worst way possible to earn brownie points with people who don't GAFF what they think...

it's obvious that if you think I smeared anyone that you haven't taken time to read the Politico Article or watch in it's entirety the video from the Rational National channel ( if he was an American and not a Canadian citizen giving his "outside looking in" perspective on American politics he'd be firmly ensconced in the Democratic Party).

*e2a*
Over the past year, Obama and his closest advisers were clinical in their assessments of the candidates. They discussed doubts about Kamala Harris’ appeal to African Americans. Obama was deeply skeptical about the prospects of Mayor Pete Buttigieg. During their West End meeting, he was complimentary about Steve Bullock’s record as a governor and frank about his challenges: “Nobody knows who you are,” he told him.
When it comes to Sanders, I asked one close adviser whether Obama would really lay himself on the line to prevent a Sanders nomination. “I can’t really confirm that,” the adviser said. “He hasn’t said that directly to me. The only reason I'm hesitating at all is because, yeah, if Bernie were running away with it, I think maybe we would all have to say something. But I don't think that's likely. It's not happening.” (Another close Obama friend said, “Bernie's not a Democrat.”)

Given the way the paragraphs flow the author is talking about asking about Bernie in 2019 and not 2016 it that is not the case then the author (imho) needs to better organize his paragraphs....

Last edited: