Bernie out?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Actual "Bernie Bros," which I seriously doubt make up any noteworthy portion of his supporters, will flock to Yang.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
The term Bernie Bro AFAIK is used to describe Bernie voters who did not vote for Hillary. Everyone else would just be known as a Bernie supporter or advocate.
Perhaps but some have used it to describe anyone who supports him too much for their liking. just imho...

Reactions: Ken g6

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Again though, it is not so much about assigning blame. It is about giving them what they want until they can't deny what they want is bad.
Oh I know that feeling right down to my toes, but I personally can't help but feeling just how bad that feeling is for me. I am saying, Self, these deplorable people are ruining my world and I want them to know what they have done so they will suffer from massive regret. I want them to become consciously aware that they have fucked themselves by having actually succeeded in doing it. I know that intention to do good by making them suffer consequence, but it's all about me, how then make me suffer. I do not believe that is love. This is what I believe Christ came to tell us by consciously forfeiting his life, that to enter the kingdom you must carry your own cross, be nailed to it and then, FORGIVE! They do not know what they are doing. They do not know what they have done. But they will never know the joy of being that way. But if I take correctly what I think is the hidden truth, it is that each of us must carry his own cross. You should not give your pain to anybody else because they already hurt more deeply than we imagine. They have shut the door to heaven. All the evil you could ever wish on them has already happened, to them and to you. We are all the same. The answer, I think, is not to wish they feel pain, but to know their pain so that they too may wish to awaken. What the world needs are exemplars and avatars of people who have died to themselves, to have faith there is hope, to understand that to suffer is to set oneself free. I was told it's bitter on this side but not on the other, that there is a state of utter psychic transformation possible for everyone. Once long ago I think I got a peek through the keyhole.

That you feel pain is what makes me love you. You want so much for the good.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
For awhile I thought Bernie might still be able to go the distance here, when all they were saying was that they found arterial blockage and inserted stents. But now his campaign has confirmed that he had a heart attack, which is why they found the blockage. When my father had bypass surgery, it was because they ran some scans in a routine checkup and found the blockage. But because he never had a heart attack, he was fine after having the surgery since his heart muscle was still strong. But a heart attack weakens the heart muscle.

To have a heart attack at Sanders' age is not good. The chances of him living another 8 or 9 years is very low. He should drop out.

Reactions: dingster1

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
For awhile I thought Bernie might still be able to go the distance here, when all they were saying was that they found arterial blockage and inserted stents. But now his campaign has confirmed that he had a heart attack, which is why they found the blockage. When my father had bypass surgery, it was because they ran some scans in a routine checkup and found the blockage. But because he never had a heart attack, he was fine after having the surgery since his heart muscle was still strong. But a heart attack weakens the heart muscle.

To have a heart attack at Sanders' age is not good. The chances of him living another 8 or 9 years is very low. He should drop out.

"Heart attack" is a pretty broad description covering a range of possibilities. I don't want Bernie to kill himself running for President or being President. He's more valuable to the people of this country alive than dead even if he isn't President.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
It's farcical that there is a lower age limit for president but not an upper one. No one should be president at that age.

Reactions: dingster1

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
"Heart attack" is a pretty broad description covering a range of possibilities. I don't want Bernie to kill himself running for President or being President. He's more valuable to the people of this country alive than dead even if he isn't President.

Per the news, it was myocardial infarction, i.e. the standard medical term for a heart attack. These do vary quite a bit in intensity, but having one at all at Bernie's age is not a good sign. If we're only considering his health here, ideally he should retire now. But he won't do that, even if he drops out of the race. I can just tell.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Having a heart attack i.e. blocked artery, fixable using a stent(s), is an everyday occurrence.
However, since Bernie actually had his heart muscle or part of starved of blood i.e. heart attack, it depends on how long the heart muscle suffered, what area(s) of the muscle were involved, and how the muscle is now doing after the repair i.e. stent(s).
Once you have a heart attack no matter how mild, it will forever show up on a EKG. An irregularity where the muscle has forever lost some of its pumping efficiency.
With a mild attach and after recovery, you'd never know your heart had a deficiency. You could do everything you did before.
With a more severe attack you will notice a change in your ability to do things you could do before, like shortness of breath under physical stress or lack of energy when walking.
So it all depends on the damage to the heart muscle and how the heart is functioning after.
Only Bernie and his doctor(s) know the exact amount of damage and long term damage. So should Bernie drop out for the sake of his health or should he stay in after taking some time off, that is up to Bernie.
Depends on what his doctor(s) advised, and how Bernie feels about going forward.
My gut reaction is that Bernie will take some time off then drop out in a week or two.
Strange thing after having a heart attack, it puts one on edge where they fear having another attack and fear being left along for periods of time should another attack should occur. Mostly psychological I would guess, but this post fear could defiantly be a deciding factor in Bernies decision to continue.
Bernie has had a great political career and made an lasting impression, so he shouldn't feel too bad if he decides to quit.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Bernie and Biden will concede, directly following the next debates and will get behind Warren, who will become the nominee. The writing is on the wall on this one.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Bernie and Biden will concede, directly following the next debates and will get behind Warren, who will become the nominee. The writing is on the wall on this one.
I wish you were right about Bernie and Biden. Honestly every day Bernie stays in this the more damage he does. It would have been better for him to get 100% the candidate of his choice and stump for him/her like the madman he is. He is in a better position to evaluate the sincerity of the candidates than any of us are. Biden I sadly think is going to cling like a motherfucker until the polls/primaries tell him to fuck off.

It is looking pretty good for Warren right now though.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I wish you were right about Bernie and Biden. Honestly every day Bernie stays in this the more damage he does. It would have been better for him to get 100% the candidate of his choice and stump for him/her like the madman he is. He is in a better position to evaluate the sincerity of the candidates than any of us are. Biden I sadly think is going to cling like a motherfucker until the polls/primaries tell him to fuck off.

It is looking pretty good for Warren right now though.
Warren gets nominated, Republicans happily vote to convict Trump and easily win the next election with whomever they nominate.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Warren gets nominated, Republicans happily vote to convict Trump and easily win the next election with whomever they nominate.

I don't think so. The GOP is out of ideas.. all they have is hate but it isn't helping the masses.

If they oust Trump the election might be closer but it won't make Warren lose. For one she's not Hillary and she actually has ideas that're anti-establishment.

Everyone hates the establishment. That's why they voted Trump in the first place.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I don't know about that. There is no GOP candidate that could have beaten Hillary besides Trump. The GOP was a parody of itself then and is even more a parody of itself now. Trump carried it because he is a celebrity the same way Reagan smashed expectations in 1980. Conservatives do love themselves the rare celebrity that embraces their anti-liberal ideology.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I just don't think this country is nearly as comfortable with Warren's brand of progressiveness as she would need to be elected.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I just don't think this country is nearly as comfortable with Warren's brand of progressiveness as she would need to be elected.

I suspect they would be if they actually knew what it is rather than what the usual constellation of talking heads tell them it is-

Or, you know, America can keep voting to burn itself down with Trump.

Reactions: Indus

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I suspect they would be if they actually knew what it is rather than what the usual constellation of talking heads tell them it is-

Or, you know, America can keep voting to burn itself down with Trump.
Right you are, I'm just trying to think pragmatically. Being ignorant to the sheer level of ignorance in this country made for a rude awakening in 2016.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Right you are, I'm just trying to think pragmatically. Being ignorant to the sheer level of ignorance in this country made for a rude awakening in 2016.

That was when Trump was a promise rather than a reality & a national disaster.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

And those ignorant should be burned at the stake since we're on our way back to the dark ages!

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
Having a heart attack i.e. blocked artery, fixable using a stent(s), is an everyday occurrence.
However, since Bernie actually had his heart muscle or part of starved of blood i.e. heart attack, it depends on how long the heart muscle suffered, what area(s) of the muscle were involved, and how the muscle is now doing after the repair i.e. stent(s).
Once you have a heart attack no matter how mild, it will forever show up on a EKG. An irregularity where the muscle has forever lost some of its pumping efficiency.
With a mild attach and after recovery, you'd never know your heart had a deficiency. You could do everything you did before.
With a more severe attack you will notice a change in your ability to do things you could do before, like shortness of breath under physical stress or lack of energy when walking.
So it all depends on the damage to the heart muscle and how the heart is functioning after.
Only Bernie and his doctor(s) know the exact amount of damage and long term damage. So should Bernie drop out for the sake of his health or should he stay in after taking some time off, that is up to Bernie.
Depends on what his doctor(s) advised, and how Bernie feels about going forward.
My gut reaction is that Bernie will take some time off then drop out in a week or two.
Strange thing after having a heart attack, it puts one on edge where they fear having another attack and fear being left along for periods of time should another attack should occur. Mostly psychological I would guess, but this post fear could defiantly be a deciding factor in Bernies decision to continue.
Bernie has had a great political career and made an lasting impression, so he shouldn't feel too bad if he decides to quit.

That’s relatively close, but not all myocardial infarctions result in permanent ecg changes, nor permanent loss of heart function. If there is there is sufficient collateral circulation, and quick restoration of perfusion via intervention, you can have a completely normal ecg and echocardiogram after.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I think if Trump gets impeached that Bernie and Biden will drop out! Why? Because they are the only onews with any sort of chance to beat Trump. presently!yet if Trump were to get impeached or for that matter resign......a commentator on FOX no less today said it would be a wide open doney brook! Anybodys game!!

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
I think if Trump gets impeached that Bernie and Biden will drop out! Why? Because they are the only onews with any sort of chance to beat Trump. presently!yet if Trump were to get impeached or for that matter resign......a commentator on FOX no less today said it would be a wide open doney brook! Anybodys game!!

What was the odds of Trump being elected roughly 4 years ago at the same stage of the campaign season? Hell, the day of the election, some analysts/models were giving him around 5% at his nadir.

So, saying only those two have a chance is kinda comical to me.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
What was the odds of Trump being elected roughly 4 years ago at the same stage of the campaign season? Hell, the day of the election, some analysts/models were giving him around 5% at his nadir.

When Trump grabbed 'em by the pussy, they swooned at the attention & fell head over heels in love.

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
When Trump grabbed 'em by the pussy, they swooned at the attention & fell head over heels in love.

Maybe, but I don’t wish to sidetrack into the why.

Just pointing out how far off the mark recent predictions of voting behavior can be. Being from a relatively small, but deep blue state, I am simply along for the ride in presidential elections. MD will vote for whoever gets the Democratic nomination, but won’t have much say in who that is (relatively speaking.)

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

Some people are easily amused...