Barack Obama to speak about Rev. Wright, race Tuesday, March 18

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
Originally posted by: rchiu
Quote: Mr. Obama said. ?Did I know him to be an occasionally fierce critic of American domestic and foreign policy? Of course. Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes. Did I strongly disagree with many of his political views? Absolutely ? just as I?m sure many of you have heard remarks from your pastors, priests or rabbis with which you strongly disagreed.?

So just last week Obama said he never heard Wrights making those remark and now he admits it?

Read it again. He didn't admit to hearing the remarks that have been plastered all of soundbite central news reports. He admits that he heard things that were controversial that could have been anything under the sun EXCEPT those remarks and still would have been 100% truthful.

Heh, speak like a true politician....and I thought Obama and his people is gonna be any different.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
humm.
Strike 1 = when his wife said that for the FIRST time she was proud of america.

strike 2= having a extreme whackjob racist pastor as your spiritual adviser for 20 years...

strike 3= there is no strike 3 his campaign is done.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Citrix
humm.

strike 2= having a extreme whackjob racist pastor as your spiritual adviser for 20 years...

OK. Because you say so:roll:.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Dari
humm.

listen to talk radio pal, many many middle of the road dems are jumping ship just because of these two issues.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
humm.

listen to talk radio pal, many many middle of the road dems are jumping ship just because of these two issues.

I agree with you. I think this is the death knell. Anything else would be a nail in the coffin, nonetheless he can't win.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Quote: Mr. Obama said. ?Did I know him to be an occasionally fierce critic of American domestic and foreign policy? Of course. Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes. Did I strongly disagree with many of his political views? Absolutely ? just as I?m sure many of you have heard remarks from your pastors, priests or rabbis with which you strongly disagreed.?

So just last week Obama said he never heard Wrights making those remark and now he admits it?

Read it again. He didn't admit to hearing the remarks that have been plastered all of soundbite central news reports. He admits that he heard things that were controversial that could have been anything under the sun EXCEPT those remarks and still would have been 100% truthful.

Heh, speak like a true politician....and I thought Obama and his people is gonna be any different.

This what scares me about Obama. So many of his supporters are willing to give him a pass and/or defend him on any and everything. It reminds me of all the people who thought Bush could do nothing wrong no matter what he did and tha's just scary.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
humm.

First, that's not what she said. Second, racist whackjob pastors are gathering around McCain and he's happily courting them.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: JS80
humm.

I agree with you. I think this is the death knell. Anything else would be a nail in the coffin, nonetheless he can't win.
LOL! I hope you clowns realize that Obama still has the nomination pretty well locked up. The timing of this "issue" also allows Obama plenty of time to change the subject between now and April 22nd -- remember, the standard news-cycles usually dont last weeks, let alone more than one month.

You hillary fanbois and dittoheads had better come with something bigger than this if you plan to steal the nomination...

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: palehorse74
humm.

LOL! I hope you clowns realize that Obama still has the nomination pretty well locked up. The timing of this "issue" also allows Obama plenty of time to change the subject between now and April 22nd -- remember, the standard news-cycles usually dont last weeks, let alone more than one month.

You hillary fanbois and dittoheads had better come with something bigger than this if you plan to steal the nomination...

I'm talking about in November. He can still get the Dem nomination. If he does win nomination, in October/November this pastor's video is going to get blasted in national TV ads. Obama cannot win. Sorry dems your savior ended up being a dud.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
humm.

Talk radio would be the absolute last place to listen if you are trying to get a real view of what is going on.

I mean it. Read expert analysis first, then read newspapers with investigative reporting, then read USA today, then watch TV news, then look on the internet, then listen to your crazy uncle Jimmy, followed by FOX news, and then talk radio.

It can be enjoyable to listen to if you want to get riled up about something, but everyone must know that talk radio is the refuge of the crazies on both sides. If you ever want a great example of what kind of audience they pull, listen to the Ed Shultz (sp?) show sometime. He lets anyone call in and he doesn't screen the calls... so you really do hear just how insane half the people who listen actually are.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Carmen813
Originally posted by: EXman
Originally posted by: Carmen813
I suggest listening to him make his speech. You can tell the points he really cares about a lot more easily.
http://my.barackobama.com/page...samgrahamfelsen/gGBbKG
But first you need to watch this Angry Ranting Non Man of God

And that is not edited by Fox News or any conservative news outlet.

I could care less with what Barack Obamas pastor has to say. Rev. Wright is not running for President, Barack Obama is.

Well if a guy running on his JUDGEMENT alone with very little else even on the public record, shows so little of it you are foolish not to realize who this guy is associating himself with. The guy is running for president not the local school board or president of your condo association.

Not to mention the I head one or two statements in 20 years is statistically improbable. What is your conclusion?
Heeeellllllooooooooooooooo?

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
humm.

First, that's not what she said. Second, racist whackjob pastors are gathering around McCain and he's happily courting them.

obama can not win without the white vote period. when whittie hears a black whackjob racist preacher saying GOD DAMN AMERICA they tend to run.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: palehorse74
humm.

I'm talking about in November. He can still get the Dem nomination. If he does win nomination, in October/November this pastor's video is going to get blasted in national TV ads. Obama cannot win. Sorry dems your savior ended up being a dud.

Here's a hint: Anyone attempting to predict with certainty the results of a US presidential election 9 months away is being stupid.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
humm.

what she said was "For the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country"

add that in with the preacher and it is bad

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: chowderhead

yeah, like getting the support of the pastor of one of the largest black churches in Chicago when you are a ambitious, young and new to the area community organizer isn't trying to build a base of support. Everyone that sucks up to a minister is political but Obama is just above that. Right. Obama is a politician just like everyone else.

I think that you are confusing two people working together toward a common goal that benefits everyone around them with pandering to someone to get them to convince everyone else to work towards your own selfish goal.

Originally posted by: 1EZduzit

This what scares me about Obama. So many of his supporters are willing to give him a pass and/or defend him on any and everything. It reminds me of all the people who thought Bush could do nothing wrong no matter what he did and tha's just scary.

Who is giving anyone a pass? rchiu made what he thought was a factual statement and I corrected it.

I am an Obama supporter and I have no problems stating where and when I think that he has messed up. rchiu quoted Obama and then made an assertion about the quote that was not accurate and that is what I was addressing. Nothing more, nothing less.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
humm.

Did he name his book after one of their speeches? Did he attend their church for 20 years? Did they baptize any of his children? Did any of them "bring him to Christ"? Did any of them perform any of his wedding ceremonies?

Pandering during election year != Choosing to embrace for decades in personal life

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
humm.

The only people who care what dipsh!t radio says is dipsh!t radio listeners. The rest of America is not going to allow the talking morons to elect another President.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: classy
This speech is biggest crack of bullsh!t I have ever heard. You don't change racial the divide by hanging around racists and making excuses for them. I stopped listening to the garbage. Its a joke.

Classy and I do not see eye to eye at all but I concur especially since he just worked gobal warming into this c'mon please...

Obama could have left that church. There are plenty of black pastors that despise race pimps like this guy Farakahn, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton and preach a God honoring sermons. To the guy that said we are cherry picking that is garbage too. Even David Duke and the KKK don't spew hate 24/7. Does not mean they are great guys that you'd want to become a member of their church.

That is my whole point. He could have and should have left. And here is few more things. I don't believe dude is christian either, not a real one. What christian group goes in league with Muslims of all religions and then honors one of the most dispicable racists alive today, Louis Farrakhan. Also what would his mother say about his support of this church? It also makes me question what kind of person would hang out with folks like that and here you are half white. Give me a break. And I, like Obama, went to a church where a pastor like Mr Wright was there. I was a member of the church, but I stopped going. I went somewhere else. If John McCain went to a church for 20 years, his pastor popped off about n!ggers, the pastor said God damn America, and turned around and honored Matthew Hale he would be crucified, and let alone run for president, he would forced to resign from the senate. But this guy gets a pass because he gives a great speech? All racists of all colors need to be rejected and those who support them should be rejected as well. Obama is not fit to be president. And what kind of weak person is he to say he can't disown this clown pastor? What, is this pastor god? And trust me I know from first hand experience, when you get a pastor like that, those types talk like that quite often, very often. So there is no way in 20 years Obama can tell me he didn't know or he knew another side. If this is the side this pastor shows the public I can only imagine the side he shows in private. 20 years and now he wants a pass. I don't think so.

Damn Classy I disagree with you and your tone on almost everything but you hit the nail on the head on this guy. I applaud you.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit

Right.... like how your hero Billary claims "experience" because she hosted White House luncheons. Or how she claims to be against NAFTA and free trade to China when Bill sponsored and signed both those bills!

You know what I find scary? That you actually believe the crap you post.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
This speech is biggest crack of bullsh!t I have ever heard. You don't change racial the divide by hanging around racists and making excuses for them. I stopped listening to the garbage. Its a joke.

Classy and I do not see eye to eye at all but I concur especially since he just worked gobal warming into this c'mon please...

Obama could have left that church. There are plenty of black pastors that despise race pimps like this guy Farakahn, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton and preach a God honoring sermons. To the guy that said we are cherry picking that is garbage too. Even David Duke and the KKK don't spew hate 24/7. Does not mean they are great guys that you'd want to become a member of their church.

That is my whole point. He could have and should have left. And here is few more things. I don't believe dude is christian either, not a real one. What christian group goes in league with Muslims of all religions and then honors one of the most dispicable racists alive today, Louis Farrakhan. Also what would his mother say about his support of this church? It also makes me question what kind of person would hang out with folks like that and here you are half white. Give me a break. And I, like Obama, went to a church where a pastor like Mr Wright was there. I was a member of the church, but I stopped going. I went somewhere else. If John McCain went to a church for 20 years, his pastor popped off about n!ggers, the pastor said God damn America, and turned around and honored Matthew Hale he would be crucified, and let alone run for president, he would forced to resign from the senate. But this guy gets a pass because he gives a great speech? All racists of all colors need to be rejected and those who support them should be rejected as well. Obama is not fit to be president. And what kind of weak person is he to say he can't disown this clown pastor? What, is this pastor god? And trust me I know from first hand experience, when you get a pastor like that, those types talk like that quite often, very often. So there is no way in 20 years Obama can tell me he didn't know or he knew another side. If this is the side this pastor shows the public I can only imagine the side he shows in private. 20 years and now he wants a pass. I don't think so.

Damn Classy I disagree with you and your tone on almost everything but you hit the nail on the head on this guy. I applaud you.

yep. VERY well said. barring some other fumble, this race is now McCain's to lose.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: waggy
humm.

what she said was "For the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country"

Keyword is bolded. Nothing racist or anti-American about that.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: daveymark
yep. VERY well said. barring some other fumble, this race is now McCain's to lose.
You hacks are comical, arguing your pathetic little political teams still while Bush's economy crumbles, and pretending you're still fighting the great conservative battle against socialism while Bush did more to socialize this country's economy and strengthen the federal govt than any president in US history. Maybe someday we can hope you'll wake to reality rather than rhetoric.
No one is going to care about Obama's pastor in November.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic
You hacks are comical, arguing your pathetic little political teams still while Bush's economy crumbles, and pretending you're still fighting the great conservative battle against socialism while Bush did more to socialize this country's economy and strengthen the federal govt than any president in US history. Maybe someday we can hope you'll wake to reality rather than rhetoric.

hahahahahahah you bring up bush in a obama thread and call other posters belittling names. whos the hack again?

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy
humm.

Keyword is bolded. Nothing racist or anti-American about that.

She wasn't REALLYproud of her country when:

We landed on the Moon.
Civil rights movement made huge gains for her own people.
We single handedly out spent the USSR making them have to tear down the wall.
Liberated Kuwait.
Give Billions to Africa for aids research/and drugs. (Oh I just realized that might be a bad one as her pastor believes that whitey made that.)

I guess she was sort of proud?

C'mon

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic

imho the most important part of his speech is as follows:

In the end, then, what is called for is nothing more, and nothing less, than what all the world's great religions demand -- that we do unto others as we would have them do unto us. Let us be our brother's keeper, Scripture tells us. Let us be our sister's keeper. Let us find that common stake we all have in one another, and let our politics reflect that spirit as well.

who give's a rat's ass about what his pastor says given the fact that Obama has come out and universally denounced those poor messages delivered by his pastor. Obama did an excellent job painting the race issue as more complex than the simple minded thinking of his opponents. He goes into detail as to why the pastor represents both the good, and the bad of black america. He also goes on to explain how white america has legitimate racial concerns, his OWN GRANDMOTHER used racial slurs and was afraid to walk on the same side of the street as black men. He is describing us all to the "T." Like Moonbeam says all too often, we are so afraid to see whats in the mirror.

His analogy to the boxing ring is particularly spot on...if we retreat back to our corners after this latest racial issue, there will be no chance for change. You people that cannot see beyond the words of his pastor have given no chance for change. What are you so afraid of? that Obama is right???