Barack Obama to speak about Rev. Wright, race Tuesday, March 18

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: EXman
Originally posted by: classy
This speech is biggest crack of bullsh!t I have ever heard. You don't change racial the divide by hanging around racists and making excuses for them. I stopped listening to the garbage. Its a joke.

Classy and I do not see eye to eye at all but I concur especially since he just worked gobal warming into this c'mon please...

Obama could have left that church. There are plenty of black pastors that despise race pimps like this guy Farakahn, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton and preach a God honoring sermons. To the guy that said we are cherry picking that is garbage too. Even David Duke and the KKK don't spew hate 24/7. Does not mean they are great guys that you'd want to become a member of their church.

That is my whole point. He could have and should have left. And here is few more things. I don't believe dude is christian either, not a real one. What christian group goes in league with Muslims of all religions and then honors one of the most dispicable racists alive today, Louis Farrakhan. Also what would his mother say about his support of this church? It also makes me question what kind of person would hang out with folks like that and here you are half white. Give me a break. And I, like Obama, went to a church where a pastor like Mr Wright was there. I was a member of the church, but I stopped going. I went somewhere else. If John McCain went to a church for 20 years, his pastor popped off about n!ggers, the pastor said God damn America, and turned around and honored Matthew Hale he would be crucified, and let alone run for president, he would forced to resign from the senate. But this guy gets a pass because he gives a great speech? All racists of all colors need to be rejected and those who support them should be rejected as well. Obama is not fit to be president. And what kind of weak person is he to say he can't disown this clown pastor? What, is this pastor god? And trust me I know from first hand experience, when you get a pastor like that, those types talk like that quite often, very often. So there is no way in 20 years Obama can tell me he didn't know or he knew another side. If this is the side this pastor shows the public I can only imagine the side he shows in private. 20 years and now he wants a pass. I don't think so.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: sirjonk
Originally posted by: Tab
So, if I become a member of any organization I must agree with 100% of everything they say?

:roll:

This is so absurd if you guys actually cared about politics you'd be nitpicking his health care policy how it's just like Hilliary's.

Strawman thanks. No you don't have to agree with everything the organization says. No one thinks Obama believes these things. This is about his judgment to voluntarily associate with someone who does believe these things.

If you're running for president as a uniter and you have a choice which Church to join, and the one you pick rails against America and whites, and you stay a member for 20 years and foster close personal ties with the head of the church, then people have a right to ask you WHY?

:roll:

No one thinks Obama believes these things but he's a member of a organization that said something that's controversial!

Heads up, this ministers congregation disagrees with him but it's not like you even care...

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
This speech is biggest crack of bullsh!t I have ever heard. You don't change racial the divide by hanging around racists and making excuses for them. I stopped listening to the garbage. Its a joke.

Classy and I do not see eye to eye at all but I concur especially since he just worked gobal warming into this c'mon please...

Obama could have left that church. There are plenty of black pastors that despise race pimps like this guy Farakahn, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton and preach a God honoring sermons. To the guy that said we are cherry picking that is garbage too. Even David Duke and the KKK don't spew hate 24/7. Does not mean they are great guys that you'd want to become a member of their church.

That is my whole point. He could have and should have left. And here is few more things. I don't believe dude is christian either, not a real one. What christian group goes in league with Muslims of all religions and then honors one of the most dispicable racists alive today, Louis Farrakhan. Also what would his mother say about his support of this church? It also makes me question what kind of person would hang out with folks like that and here you are half white. Give me a break. And I, like Obama, went to a church where a pastor like Mr Wright was there. I was a member of the church, but I stopped going. I went somewhere else. If John McCain went to a church for 20 years, his pastor popped off about n!ggers, the pastor said God damn America, and turned around and honored Matthew Hale he would be crucified, and let alone run for president, he would forced to resign from the senate. But this guy gets a pass because he gives a great speech? All racists of all colors need to be rejected and those who support them should be rejected as well. Obama is not fit to be president. And what kind of weak person is he to say he can't disown this clown pastor? What, is this pastor god? And trust me I know from first hand experience, when you get a pastor like that, those types talk like that quite often, very often. So there is no way in 20 years Obama can tell me he didn't know or he knew another side. If this is the side this pastor shows the public I can only imagine the side he shows in private. 20 years and now he wants a pass. I don't think so.

You're not living up to your username. Do you have any friends or family that have ever uttered things that were racist/sexist? Did you disown them? Were you automatically a racist hateful person because you didn't? We can disagree deeply with people and still acknowledge their importance in our lives, and be grateful for the positive things that they do and represent. Obama pretty clearly rejected the negative aspects of Wright's persona in a direct and complete way.

This was a profound speech, and one that I think will stand to unite people far more than it will divide. The only people that won't understand the clear messages within, are people who are already devoutly against Obama.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
He can?t disown the man because that would clearly be insincere after having him as his ?mentor?.

Well it was cute, parts of it were clever, though still left a bad taste in my mouth. I will grumble but still likely oppose McCain more than I oppose Obama.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

You have to understand where blacks are coming from, epecially AAs that were around when segregation was legal. Some AAs in the 1920s and beyond rejected Christianity because it was seen as a "White" religion. They became muslims to identify with other black or brown-skinned people. So, Christians that were militant in their views would've easily identified with black muslims. This was 40 to 50 years before 9/11:roll:.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
I thought that was real nice of Obama to throw his white grandmother under the bus like that.

Meanwhile

About that same time, another letter crossed the Pacific, this one heading to Africa. It was from Barack Obama Sr. to his mother, Sarah Hussein Onyango Obama. Though the letter didn't go into great detail, it said he had met a young woman named Ann (not Stanley). There wasn't much on how they met or what the attraction was, but he announced their plans to wed.

The Dunhams weren't happy. Stanley Ann's prospective father-in-law was furious. He wrote the Dunhams "this long, nasty letter saying that he didn't approve of the marriage," Obama recounted his mother telling him in "Dreams." "He didn't want the Obama blood sullied by a white woman."

Barak went on to say:

"In the white community, the path to a more perfect union means acknowledging that what ails the African-American community does not just exist in the minds of black people; that the legacy of discrimination and current incidents of discrimination, while less overt than in the past ? are real and must be addressed ?"

How does the good Reverend Wright's "The US of KKK-A", "white greed", "Israel is a dirty word", "the government created AIDs to kill black people" among just a few comments help with race relations? That's not Wright "elevating what's wrong with America" as Obama put it. That's "blame whitey" rhetoric from the word go. And Obama echoed the "blame whitey" in his speech.

To me, Obama isn't showing the politics of hope or change. He's showing the standard politician double-talk and I have to question his judgement in light of the fact that he doesn't have a record to stand on.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Bumrush99
I've softened my stance on this issue. I accept his explanation and think we should all move on from this controversy. I know that won't happen, but for me this speech removed a lot of my concerns about his relationship with the minister.

The man is very articulate and made a strong case for his position. He had a lot of guts to stand up in the face of this controversy and proved to me today that he can be a leader. Doesn't mean I am going to vote for him, but he earned my respect today.

I respect the fact that he came clean on the 2 issues below. That took some guts. I still won't vote for him and it doesn't change the fact that wasn't truthful in the first place or that it's just spin to try and salvage a sinking campaign.

"Did I know him to be an occasionally fierce critic of American domestic and foreign policy? Of course."
" Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes. "

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Arkaign
You're not living up to your username. Do you have any friends or family that have ever uttered things that were racist/sexist? Did you disown them? Were you automatically a racist hateful person because you didn't? We can disagree deeply with people and still acknowledge their importance in our lives, and be grateful for the positive things that they do and represent. Obama pretty clearly rejected the negative aspects of Wright's persona in a direct and complete way.

You can keep making this horrible analogy about an ornery old uncle or racist granpa who you can't disown, instead of dealing with the reality that this was his chosen church, his chosen pastor.

Why don't you ask any of us here the relevant question: if you belonged to a church who week after week preached divisive conspiracy theorist crap like this, and you live in a major city with plenty of churches to chose from, would you stay with the ranting racist because, well aside from the hate and insanity, he's a really great guy?

You don't chose your grandparents, you do chose your church. Obama could have joined a church that preached love and tolerance, he didn't, and now has to deal with it.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

holly fuck! i'm starting to like classy..wow.

i been agreeing with you more and more. either you are changing or i am LOL

i was excited about Obama. but i do have to admit that this does worry me.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: RY62
I've softened my stance on this issue. I accept his explanation and think we should all move on from this controversy. I know that won't happen, but for me this speech removed a lot of my concerns about his relationship with the minister.

The man is very articulate and made a strong case for his position. He had a lot of guts to stand up in the face of this controversy and proved to me today that he can be a leader. Doesn't mean I am going to vote for him, but he earned my respect today.

I respect the fact that he came clean on the 2 issues below. That took some guts. I still won't vote for him and it doesn't change the fact that wasn't truthful in the first place or that it's just spin to try and salvage a sinking campaign.

"Did I know him to be an occasionally fierce critic of American domestic and foreign policy? Of course."
" Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes. "

Again, for the trillionth time, he admitted to hearing such comments before. How many times does that have to be pointed out?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I didn't see the speech, but I read the text that Palehorse provided and I think it's fantastic.

Yaknow, it's scarcely more than a generation ago that the Fundie Right dropped "n*ggers and k*kes" from their little list of groups to blame for everything. Why isn't McCain being called to task for his association with them? Anyone looking for hypocrisy should look there (and to themselves) first.

mrCide

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
it's just spin to try and salvage a sinking campaign.

Is this a joke? Obama is doing fine, the people who support him will continue to support him, the people who are on the fence and have a brain will make their decisions like they were going to before, and people for Hillary are for her still. This isn't going to change much.

I don't see it possible for Hillary to win the nomination at any rate.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Dari

Again, for the trillionth time, he admitted to hearing such comments before. How many times does that have to be pointed out?

"The statements that Rev. Wright made that are the cause of this controversy were not statements I personally heard him preach while I sat in the pews of Trinity or heard him utter in private conversation. When these statements first came to my attention, it was at the beginning of my presidential campaign. I made it clear at the time that I strongly condemned his comments. But because Rev. Wright was on the verge of retirement, and because of my strong links to the Trinity faith community, where I married my wife and where my daughters were baptized, I did not think it appropriate to leave the church."

Maybe I'm being stupid again, where did he admit it?

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Arkaign

This was a profound speech, and one that I think will stand to unite people far more than it will divide. The only people that won't understand the clear messages within, are people who are already devoutly against Obama.

Obama Appologist to the end.

This guy is NOT FAMILY. You need to have the GOOD JUDGEMENT and a lil Balls to go out and find a good pastor. I've been going to church Catholic, Methodist and Evangelical and ZERO what ZERO yes ZERO times have I heard any of that racial devisiveness.

I've talked to 3 people of color yesterday and all three thought this "reverend" was dispicable and a black bigot.

It's all about Judgement and his lack of it to leave that racist Church.

here is what that Church beleleives in

We are a congregation which is Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian... Our roots in the Black religious experience and tradition are deep, lasting and permanent. We are an African people, and remain "true to our native land," the mother continent, the cradle of civilization. God has superintended our pilgrimage through the days of slavery, the days of segregation, and the long night of racism. It is God who gives us the strength and courage to continuously address injustice as a people, and as a congregation. We constantly affirm our trust in God through cultural expression of a Black worship service and ministries which address the Black Community.

Trinity United Church of Christ adopted the Black Value System written by the Manford Byrd Recognition Committee chaired by Vallmer Jordan in 1981. We believe in the following 12 precepts and covenantal statements. These Black Ethics must be taught and exemplified in homes, churches, nurseries and schools, wherever Blacks are gathered. They must reflect on the following concepts:

1. Commitment to God
2. Commitment to the Black Community
3. Commitment to the Black Family
4. Dedication to the Pursuit of Education
5. Dedication to the Pursuit of Excellence
6. Adherence to the Black Work Ethic
7. Commitment to Self-Discipline and Self-Respect
8. Disavowal of the Pursuit of "Middleclassness"
9. Pledge to make the fruits of all developing and acquired skills available to the Black Community
10. Pledge to Allocate Regularly, a Portion of Personal Resources for Strengthening and Supporting Black Institutions
11. Pledge allegiance to all Black leadership who espouse and embrace the Black Value System
12. Personal commitment to embracement of the Black Value System.

How many more times do you have to say Black? If my church had that and said White in all the same places Attendance would tank in one week! Why? It would be branded racist. And that would be right. If we had a raving ANGRY loon spewing sewage about "God Damn America" is it far more racial because he is white? Double standard?

If he cannot leave that CULT OF PERSONALITY. What does that say about his judgement?

Stop being shamed or guited in believing this is a great man. Where is your judgement?

Call a Spade a Spade not to put to fine a point on it.

His Judgement is not what we need for America.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999

You have to understand where blacks are coming from, epecially AAs that were around when segregation was legal. Some AAs in the 1920s and beyond rejected Christianity because it was seen as a "White" religion. They became muslims to identify with other black or brown-skinned people. So, Christians that were militant in their views would've easily identified with black muslims. This was 40 to 50 years before 9/11:roll:.

Please tell me you didn't just post that "I" have to understand where blacks are coming from?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: mrCide

Is this a joke? Obama is doing fine, the people who support him will continue to support him, the people who are on the fence and have a brain will make their decisions like they were going to before, and people for Hillary are for her still. This isn't going to change much.

It's not possible for Hillary to win the nomination at this point. So note that the Hillary-ites are barely even involved in this latest attack except as strange bedfellows with the right-wing Limbaugh-ite crowd who are leading it. That tells us that the campaigns have moved on past the squabble in the Dem party, and now the dittohead righties are rallying the troops against their main foe, Obama. Too bad for them that they're stuck with McDoofus.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

Please tell me you didn't just post that "I" have to understand where blacks are coming from?

hahahahhah

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001

Oh WOW HE DID!

<pulls up some popcorn>

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: Vic

It's not possible for Hillary to win the nomination at this point. So note that the Hillary-ites are barely even involved in this latest attack except as strange bedfellows with the right-wing Limbaugh-ite crowd who are leading it. That tells us that the campaigns have moved on past the squabble in the Dem party, and now the dittohead righties are rallying the troops against their main foe, Obama. Too bad for them that they're stuck with McDoofus.

Let the voters vote. Neither Obama nor Clinton have enough delegates at this point to win the nomination. The pledged delegates along with the superdelegates will decide the nomination. There are no rules that the superdelegates have to do anything but vote for whoever they want. Who knows what can happen. This is Obama's mess and his favorables/unfavorables are about the same now as Hillary Clinton's.

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999

"The statements that Rev. Wright made that are the cause of this controversy were not statements I personally heard him preach while I sat in the pews of Trinity or heard him utter in private conversation. When these statements first came to my attention, it was at the beginning of my presidential campaign. I made it clear at the time that I strongly condemned his comments. But because Rev. Wright was on the verge of retirement, and because of my strong links to the Trinity faith community, where I married my wife and where my daughters were baptized, I did not think it appropriate to leave the church."

Maybe I'm being stupid again, where did he admit it?

Here is his "strong" condemnation of his comments.
April 30, 2007

?The violence of 9/11 was inexcusable and without justification,? he said in a recent interview. He was not at Trinity the day Mr. Wright delivered his remarks shortly after the attacks, Mr. Obama said, but ?it sounds like he was trying to be provocative.?

Sounds to me, he was defending his minister and saying well, he was just trying to be provocative. Obama is great at spinning and the media needs to call him for his evasive answers.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: chowderhead
Originally posted by: Vic

Let the voters vote. Neither Obama nor Clinton have enough delegates at this point to win the nomination. The pledged delegates along with the superdelegates will decide the nomination. There are no rules that the superdelegates have to do anything but vote for whoever they want. Who knows what can happen. This is Obama's mess and his favorables/unfavorables are about the same now as Hillary Clinton's.

if Hilary wins it by the SD voteing for her and Obama winning the popular vote it is going to do major damage.

not just for the DNC but for all. i really hope it does not happen.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
All I see in that racist's speech is "blame whitey".

That speech only confirms what I've said all along, he believe exactly what his pastor is saying only he chooses his words more carefully. But his core believe is that it's all whitey's fault.