Bad news for Build Back Better legislation from Manchin:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
No longer interested in a deal:

This gets harder and harder for me to take. Maybe he is pissed that Chuck Schumer is going to put him on the spot. I really don't know and have trouble believing this guy is real.

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
This is ridiculous. His voters in WV are begging for this. Is he trying to lose the election? The only thing that I can surmise is that he plans to run as R next time.

Reactions: Pohemi

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
This is classic rich guy who cares about deficits when the rich are not the benefactors. He does not support miners, he supports their employers. He does not support people of West Virginia, he supports the corporations and investment funds.

Hardly surprising that a guy who gets a majority of his political funding from coal and fossil fuel industries might not be supportive of measures to combat climate change.

Just because we know where he stands and he tells us does not make him any less what his actions show us. If he acts like a conservative then he is a conservative regardless of party affiliation.

Who listens to Larry Kudlow? WTF?

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
I think it was letting apparent he was going to shift goalposts one he said his number was around $3T. So negotiations came down to around $3T and suddenly his magic number was $1.8T. The jig was up at that point.

Furthered hammered home once they came down to $1.8T and then he just had to be under $1T cause inflation was just too much to bear. Nevermind were in the supply chain gang bang of the last 70 years...

Then people were just going to spend that money on drugs.

I'll tolerate him as long as he caucuses with the dems. But everyone knows what he is.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
No longer interested in a deal:

This gets harder and harder for me to take. Maybe he is pissed that Chuck Schumer is going to put him on the spot. I really don't know and have trouble believing this guy is real.
Schumer should put him on the spot. He went along with a filibuster exception to lift the debt ceiling, but he is being an asshole on voting rights.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Schumer should put him on the spot. He went along with a filibuster exception to lift the debt ceiling, but he is being an asshole on voting rights.
Schumer has promised a vote by Jan 17 on the voting rights bill which will require a exception for the filibuster. Waiting with bated breath for how that turns out. After that I don't see much hope but an uprising of the people themselves. I can't see Democrats having the balls to declare martial law and put troops all over the place where people can vote my mail.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
This is ridiculous. His voters in WV are begging for this. Is he trying to lose the election? The only thing that I can surmise is that he plans to run as R next time.
I swear I heard a rumor that he has no interest in running for another term and his actions all along lead me to believe the rumor was and still is true.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
What's this guy's endgame? Is he just trolling everyone?
I am starting to think he is trying to ensure he is preplaced with a republican with no change of a democrat getting his seat, since this is his last term. People don't see it has him doing it, but as the democrats doing it, since that is the political party he "claims" to be a part of. It's a plan that not only hurts democrats in his home state, but in the entire country.

Reactions: Pohemi

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Just taking to my Trumpie sister last night. She was all concerned with the $300 child tax credit soon ending. Concerned not for her because she is 72, but concerned for her grand kids who have children that qualify and get that $300.

She was also upset about daycare. Her grandchild just had a baby and the parents are both working parents and now are in a dilemma wondering how they will handle care for the child. So my sister, the grandma, was upset about the cost of daycare and the loss of the child tax credit affecting her grandkids.

Well again, I simply said to my sister the name of... JOE BIDEN, and the words BUILD BACK BETTER. I told her that if she would only vote for democrats in the midterms and support the agenda of Joe Biden, instead of constantly bashing Joe Biden, then maybe all of her concerns and worries would be taken care of. But whenever I mention this, and I have often, it is like watching a disconnect taking place within her brain, a disconnect within every Trumpie's brain. They just will not accept that Joe Biden's agenda is actually a good thing for my sister and for her middle class grandkids.

And I remind her, that should republicans take back control of the government, the house and senate, then she can kiss her hope good-by. She can expect nada, nothing from those republicans. No $300 child tax credit, no help with daycare, no help at all. I really don't understand what Trumpies think that republicans will do to help them, and to help the middle class? Do they expect a republican miracle, because we never had one before? Democrats and Joe Biden are their only hope, yet they can not see the true light because of the ugly orange light blinding them.

Or maybe it is..... they just like to bitch about everything. Trumpies really don't want anything fixed or improved like daycare and child tax credits, instead all of those Trumpies like my sister just want to bitch while nothing ever changes as Donald Trump get richer and the middle class gets screwed.

The big con from republicans in congress against the American people is with repeating over and over that WE CAN NOT AFFORD IT. WE CAN NOT AFFORD TO HELP THE MIDDLE CLASS. Well guess what, America certainly can afford child tax credits AND afford free daycare. In fact, our government "could" afford to give every adult American ONE MILLION DOLLARS tax free. Yes... ONE MILLION DOLLARS to each and every adult American citizen, and this would not make a dent in the national debt. America gives more than this away to the military to supply weapons to foreign countries who later use those same American taxpayer funded weapons against Americans. Congress blows 330 million dollars all the time for pet perks and pet projects, so who would they not want to make every American adult citizen a millionaire? Just imagine the stimulus to the America economy.

And so.... why won't congress do this?
Because, they like having their middle class American slaves. They like keeping American citizens on the brink of poverty. Remember, it is never about the money it is only about the power. If America suddenly had 330 million millionaires then THAT would upset THE POWER. Think about it....

Reactions: akugami and KMFJD

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Heritage Foundation

The Kochs in HF

"Charles Koch is the right-wing billionaire owner of Koch Industries. As one of the richest people in the world, he is a key funder of the right-wing infrastructure, including the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) and the State Policy Network (SPN). In SourceWatch, key articles on Charles Koch and his late brother David include: Koch Brothers, Americans for Prosperity, Stand Together Chamber of Commerce, Stand Together, Koch Family Foundations, Koch Universities, and I360."

Charles Koch is anti democracy and if I'd have to guess, probably a Klans Man.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Country is headed for a demographic death spiral, great time to kill the child tax credit.

Despite decades of stretching it, Growth cannot continue forever. Sustainability needs to be a priority, not cast aside as some "death spiral".

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Boy I sure am glad Democrats kept negotiating with him because looking unified is more important than getting anything accomplished oh wait.

What part of "they have no power" don't you understand?
They are only "negotiating" with Manchin in a desperate attempt to maintain the slimmest of majorities.
There is no choice in the matter, they do not have the votes.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Manchin is simply doing McConnell's job of obstructing the Dems from inside the Dem party. McConnell must be rolling hand over fist and laughing his ass off as his agent Manchin is doing more damage to the Dem party's agenda than he could ever hope for doing it himself.

• Love
Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
Just taking to my Trumpie sister last night. She was all concerned with the $300 child tax credit soon ending. Concerned not for her because she is 72, but concerned for her grand kids who have children that qualify and get that $300.

She was also upset about daycare. Her grandchild just had a baby and the parents are both working parents and now are in a dilemma wondering how they will handle care for the child. So my sister, the grandma, was upset about the cost of daycare and the loss of the child tax credit affecting her grandkids.

Well again, I simply said to my sister the name of... JOE BIDEN, and the words BUILD BACK BETTER. I told her that if she would only vote for democrats in the midterms and support the agenda of Joe Biden, instead of constantly bashing Joe Biden, then maybe all of her concerns and worries would be taken care of. But whenever I mention this, and I have often, it is like watching a disconnect taking place within her brain, a disconnect within every Trumpie's brain. They just will not accept that Joe Biden's agenda is actually a good thing for my sister and for her middle class grandkids.

And I remind her, that should republicans take back control of the government, the house and senate, then she can kiss her hope good-by. She can expect nada, nothing from those republicans. No $300 child tax credit, no help with daycare, no help at all. I really don't understand what Trumpies think that republicans will do to help them, and to help the middle class? Do they expect a republican miracle, because we never had one before? Democrats and Joe Biden are their only hope, yet they can not see the true light because of the ugly orange light blinding them.

Or maybe it is..... they just like to bitch about everything. Trumpies really don't want anything fixed or improved like daycare and child tax credits, instead all of those Trumpies like my sister just want to bitch while nothing ever changes as Donald Trump get richer and the middle class gets screwed.

The big con from republicans in congress against the American people is with repeating over and over that WE CAN NOT AFFORD IT. WE CAN NOT AFFORD TO HELP THE MIDDLE CLASS. Well guess what, America certainly can afford child tax credits AND afford free daycare. In fact, our government "could" afford to give every adult American ONE MILLION DOLLARS tax free. Yes... ONE MILLION DOLLARS to each and every adult American citizen, and this would not make a dent in the national debt. America gives more than this away to the military to supply weapons to foreign countries who later use those same American taxpayer funded weapons against Americans. Congress blows 330 million dollars all the time for pet perks and pet projects, so who would they not want to make every American adult citizen a millionaire? Just imagine the stimulus to the America economy.

Because, they like having their middle class American slaves. They like keeping American citizens on the brink of poverty. Remember, it is never about the money it is only about the power. If America suddenly had 330 million millionaires then THAT would upset THE POWER. Think about it....

They think Republicans will magically eliminate inflation and continue to cut their taxes. Yet the last two Republican admins have both crashed the economy, for different reasons.

And wait until they hear that the Trump tax cuts from 2017 expire (for middle class only) in the next few years.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002

330 trillion dollars would not put a dent in the debt? Maybe you’re not the person to be giving lectures about disconnects.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

Never underestimate the stupid part of the population. They tend to outnumber the smart ones.

Reactions: e2dog32021

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
330 trillion dollars would not put a dent in the debt? Maybe you’re not the person to be giving lectures about disconnects.
First of all, it's not 330 Trillion dollars, as he said ever ADULT.. you are including all the kids. There is roughly 75 Million kids you are adding in there. So it would be about 255 trillion dollars, which would be less than 1% of the current national debt. That is before calculating in all the social programs that would take a severe cost reduction, if not completely eliminated if they did what he suggests. So he is correct, it wouldn't make a dent to our national debt. The problem however with his suggestion, is everyone would have money, and the majority of adults have no financial sense, and they would blow it in the first year. Which would send inflation to the moon. We aren't talking about the current 6 to 7% inflation, we would be talking 50% to 100%+ inflation.