Awesome News.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Gamingphreek
I didn't mean to say you enjoy it. However my life would be quite a bit worse off now had I been taken away in handcuffs and kicked out of school instead of being allowed to graduate and get a good job despite my smoking the entire time.

It helps some people and hurts others, do you feel comfortable taking that risk? This is especially true for marijuana... which _a_lot_ of people smoke casually all the time. Yeah, if the kid is shooting up heroine then by all means go help em.

Well I don't believe they are expelled - but I believe they are suspended for a while.

There is absolutely no situation where it can help people. 0. Nada. None. There are no positive health (or otherwise) benefits from any drugs. (Though I perhaps misunderstood your argument there ;) - were you referring to me helping them? or the marijuana lol?)

-Kevin

I watched my mom's best friend get slowly eaten up by pancreatic cancer over a year period. Marijuana was the only thing that really helped with the nausea, pain, and gave him any appetite even though he was on enough legally prescribed pharmaceuticals to kill a horse.

Until you're staring a slow painful death in the face how about you not talk dogmatically about things you don't really understand.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: NightDarker
Ronald Reagan :thumbsdown:

The DEA was set up by Richard Nixon, not Ronald Reagan. Nancy Reagan is the one that took up the "just say no" thing as her First Lady cause.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Insomniator
Originally posted by: TechBoyJK
Originally posted by: Vegitto
I didn't mean to say you enjoy it. However my life would be quite a bit worse off now had I been taken away in handcuffs and kicked out of school instead of being allowed to graduate and get a good job despite my smoking the entire time.

It helps some people and hurts others, do you feel comfortable taking that risk? This is especially true for marijuana... which _a_lot_ of people smoke casually all the time. Yeah, if the kid is shooting up heroine then by all means go help em.

Well I don't believe they are expelled - but I believe they are suspended for a while.

There is absolutely no situation where it can help people. 0. Nada. None. There are no positive health (or otherwise) benefits from any drugs. (Though I perhaps misunderstood your argument there ;) - were you referring to me helping them? or the marijuana lol?)

-Kevin

It's been a while since I've posted, but I just wanted to share this:

You are one of the most sad people I've heard from in a while. I bet you get real hard when they take those kids away, don't ya? I know you won't admit it, but I just want you to know we all know you do.

Have a nice day, buddy.

It kills me to see that you apparently think I revel in seeing kids getting taken away in hand cuffs. That is one of the worst feelings I have experienced in my life the first time I saw that - so don't for one second think that I enjoy seeing people get in trouble!!

^ From earlier. And don't you dare insinuate that I enjoy seeing other people hurting in anyway way shape or form :|!

GP you are a giant DOUCHE narc! Reading your high horse remarks are almost comical.

Do you rat out people smoking cigarrettes too? WTF man. You're obviously brainwashed by the idea that MJ is terrible for you. I'd much rather my kids smoke weed than go out and drink, smoke cigs, or eat alot of mcdonalds. But I know the truth about the plant. You're just brainwashed.

Wow - an insult.. what a great and highly effective argument :roll:

My high nose remarks? What that I, along with a vast majority of people in this world don't do illegal drugs!?

Where did I say that I rat people out for anything?

Just because I don't drink much for my own reasons and didn't drink under 21 doesn't mean I judge other people if they drink under 21. You on the other hand seem to insult anyone's idea that doesn't coincide with yours.

WTF man. You're obviously brainwashed by the idea that MJ is terrible for you. I'd much rather my kids smoke weed than go out and drink, smoke cigs, or eat alot of mcdonalds. But I know the truth about the plant. You're just brainwashed.

Well you would be a pretty poor parent then - and I sincerely hope that you don't believe that.

You're a fucktard.

You also learned to support your insults by cursing too. Everything a well rounded argument needs...

-Kevin

Actually it sounds like the opposite would be true. You clearly have no experience with the topic at hand. Its not a knock on you, you are just one of those people that does not understand due to brainwashing, or just out of ignorance.

After seeing how myself was raised, and going to parties (which I'm guessing you did not) it is blatantly obvious that pot is the least of a parents problems. Smoking cigs and especially drinking are far more dangerous.

I sincerely hope you do not try to shelter and control your children to be modeled after yourself.

Good post. GP/Kevin, I apologize for cursing. It's just that people like you, that are ignorant about MJ, it's health issues, effects on the body, and overall safety, get in the way of average citizens enjoying the benefits of moderate marijuana usage.

Note, I didn't call you an ignorant person, just that you are ignorant to this particular subject. You have to understand, that right now, the penalties for MJ use far outweigh the crime, and by 'making it your problem' with the guys next door and getting them handcuffed, probably did more damage to their lives than weed ever will. People ignorant to the reality of MJ are far more dangerous to society than MJ itself. Just like the War on Drugs. I'd be far more scared of my kids getting on the wrong side of the War on Drugs than getting hooked on weed.

And I wouldn't be a bad parent, probably a better parent then you, because I at least know the truth about the drug. I'm correct. My children would be far safer smoking weed everyday (moderately), than smoking a pack of cigs every day, getting drunk every day, or eating McDonalds everyday. That's the truth. Do some research. Enlighten yourself a bit.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: K1052

-Kevin

I watched my mom's best friend get slowly eaten up by pancreatic cancer over a year period. Marijuana was the only thing that really helped with the nausea, pain, and gave him any appetite even though he was on enough legally prescribed pharmaceuticals to kill a horse.

Until you're staring a slow painful death in the face how about you not talk dogmatically about things you don't really understand.

The more I read GP's posts, the more ignorant I realize he is about this subject. The stance he is taking is so misguided, I almost think he is trolling.

Rebasxer

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2005
We have a saying around baltimore, snitches get stitches. Reporting people for smoking weed? An RA that did that would probably get jumped and left in hospital bed for a few days.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

-Kevin

You are one of the most sad people I've heard from in a while. I bet you get real hard when they take those kids away, don't ya? I know you won't admit it, but I just want you to know we all know you do.

Have a nice day, buddy.

It kills me to see that you apparently think I revel in seeing kids getting taken away in hand cuffs. That is one of the worst feelings I have experienced in my life the first time I saw that - so don't for one second think that I enjoy seeing people get in trouble!!

^ From earlier. And don't you dare insinuate that I enjoy seeing other people hurting in anyway way shape or form :|!

GP you are a giant DOUCHE narc! Reading your high horse remarks are almost comical.

Do you rat out people smoking cigarrettes too? WTF man. You're obviously brainwashed by the idea that MJ is terrible for you. I'd much rather my kids smoke weed than go out and drink, smoke cigs, or eat alot of mcdonalds. But I know the truth about the plant. You're just brainwashed.

My high nose remarks? What that I, along with a vast majority of people in this world don't do illegal drugs!?

Just because I don't drink much for my own reasons and didn't drink under 21 doesn't mean I judge other people if they drink under 21. You on the other hand seem to insult anyone's idea that doesn't coincide with yours.

WTF man. You're obviously brainwashed by the idea that MJ is terrible for you. I'd much rather my kids smoke weed than go out and drink, smoke cigs, or eat alot of mcdonalds. But I know the truth about the plant. You're just brainwashed.

Well you would be a pretty poor parent then - and I sincerely hope that you don't believe that.

You're a fucktard.

You also learned to support your insults by cursing too. Everything a well rounded argument needs...

-Kevin

Actually it sounds like the opposite would be true. You clearly have no experience with the topic at hand. Its not a knock on you, you are just one of those people that does not understand due to brainwashing, or just out of ignorance.

After seeing how myself was raised, and going to parties (which I'm guessing you did not) it is blatantly obvious that pot is the least of a parents problems. Smoking cigs and especially drinking are far more dangerous.

I sincerely hope you do not try to shelter and control your children to be modeled after yourself.

Good post. GP/Kevin, I apologize for cursing. It's just that people like you, that are ignorant about MJ, it's health issues, effects on the body, and overall safety, get in the way of average citizens enjoying the benefits of moderate marijuana usage.

Note, I didn't call you an ignorant person, just that you are ignorant to this particular subject. You have to understand, that right now, the penalties for MJ use far outweigh the crime, and by 'making it your problem' with the guys next door and getting them handcuffed, probably did more damage to their lives than weed ever will. People ignorant to the reality of MJ are far more dangerous to society than MJ itself. Just like the War on Drugs. I'd be far more scared of my kids getting on the wrong side of the War on Drugs than getting hooked on weed.

And I wouldn't be a bad parent, probably a better parent then you, because I at least know the truth about the drug. I'm correct. My children would be far safer smoking weed everyday (moderately), than smoking a pack of cigs every day, getting drunk every day, or eating McDonalds everyday. That's the truth. Do some research. Enlighten yourself a bit.

No need to apologize :)!

No, admittedly I do not know a great deal on the subject. And from what I have read there are legitimate medical uses - but the issue I take with that is: Marijuana, when a person uses it, loses his/herself. If they were fun loving, caring, (etc...) they are no longer the person you used to know and love while under the influence of the drug.

To be completely honest, even though I, given that I am 21, have drank - I feel the same way. A person who drinks ceases to be the person that I know and enjoy being with. Yes, I have gone to parties (Thats right, without drinking), and the people I went with ceased to be the people that I knew and loved.

In addition to that, there are other obvious cons (and, admittedly pros) that I don't note here.

I can see that there are uses for medial Marijuana (barring the potential for abuse), but in my mind, and I apologize if some people disagree with this, the cons outweigh the pros in 99% of cases.

And I wouldn't be a bad parent, probably a better parent then you
We'll agree to disagree there with regards to the last part ;)

I am truly sorry for your loss :(

-Kevin

Edit:
We have a saying around baltimore, snitches get stitches. Reporting people for smoking weed? An RA that did that would probably get jumped and left in hospital bed for a few days.

That is sad that you believe that.

Also, I don't mean to be at all provocative or hostile, but I would love to see someone at my college try (Though I would prefer if someone calls me on this, that an NFL sized guy named tiny not be the one they send after me ;) )

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Rebasxer

Oh God yea. A felony drug charge will do significantly more harm to your life than smoking weed habitually. Eating french fries everyday will do more harm to your life than smoking weed everyday.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

-Kevin

Have a nice day, buddy.

You're a fucktard.

-Kevin

No need to apologize :)!

No, admittedly I do not know a great deal on the subject. And from what I have read there are legitimate medical uses - but the issue I take with that is: Marijuana, when a person uses it, loses his/herself. If they were fun loving, caring, (etc...) they are no longer the person you used to know and love while under the influence of the drug.

To be completely honest, even though I, given that I am 21, have drank - I feel the same way. A person who drinks ceases to be the person that I know and enjoy being with. Yes, I have gone to parties (Thats right, without drinking), and the people I went with ceased to be the people that I knew and loved.

In addition to that, there are other obvious cons (and, admittedly pros) that I don't note here.

I can see that there are uses for medial Marijuana (barring the potential for abuse), but in my mind, and I apologize if some people disagree with this, the cons outweigh the pros in 99% of cases.

And I wouldn't be a bad parent, probably a better parent then you
We'll agree to disagree there with regards to the last part ;)

I am truly sorry for your loss :(

-Kevin

Kevin, here is where I will try to tell you that you're misinformed. When a person uses MJ, they do not lose themselves. That is completely false. That is rediculous that you think that. It isn't all that mind altering. Have you smoked weed before? All it does is relax you a bit. It doesn't change who you are. Your perception is inline with "reefer madness", and I would expect you to also think that if black people smoke marijuana, it will cause them to rape and impregnate white women. You have been completely misinformed about the plant, it's use, it's affects, and it's harm on society. Because you aren't aware of the truth, you are taking actions that are significantly more harmful than what you think you are acting against. I'd rather irradicate narcs from society than the stoners.

You "lose" yourself much more by being drunk.

My personal experience with MJ, where it has been helpful. I have TMJ. It is a jaw disease. It is incredibly painful. I essentially live with a slightly dislocated jaw. I recently had surgery to help out, but it didn't completely fix it. For many years, my health, nor dental insurance covered this disease. I couldn't even get pain killers for it.

Smoking a bit of MJ though works wonders. It relaxes my jaw muscles, releives pain, and while I am "high" I almost forget I have TMJ.

Rebasxer

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2005

Oh God yea. A felony drug charge will do significantly more harm to your life than smoking weed habitually. Eating french fries everyday will do more harm to your life than smoking weed everyday.

Oddly enough, this happened my freshman year at college. A buddy of mine and the RA hated each other so the RA tried to rat him out, but his room was clean at the time. A few days later, the RAs tires were slashed and the door to his room was kicked and all of his stuff was broken. Everyone on my floor knew who did it, but no one would talk about it to the authorities, and from that moment on, no one ever spoke to the RA.

He didn't get jumped, but he got pretty pissed off about the damages.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002

Oddly enough, this happened my freshman year at college. A buddy of mine and the RA hated each other so the RA tried to rat him out, but his room was clean at the time. A few days later, the RAs tires were slashed and the door to his room was kicked and all of his stuff was broken. Everyone on my floor knew who did it, but no one would talk about it to the authorities, and from that moment on, no one ever spoke to the RA.

Nice haha

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Kevin, here is where I will try to tell you that you're misinformed. When a person uses MJ, they do not lose themselves. That is completely false. That is rediculous that you think that. It isn't all that mind altering. Have you smoked weed before? All it does is relax you a bit. It doesn't change who you are. Your perception is inline with "reefer madness", and I would expect you to also think that if black people smoke marijuana, it will cause them to rape and impregnate white women. You have been completely misinformed about the plant, it's use, it's affects, and it's harm on society. Because you aren't aware of the truth, you are taking actions that are significantly more harmful than what you think you are acting against. I'd rather irradicate narcs from society than the stoners.

My personal experience with MJ, where it has been helpful. I have TMJ. It is a jaw disease. It is incredibly painful. I essentially live with a slightly dislocated jaw. I recently had surgery to help out, but it didn't completely fix it. For many years, my health, nor dental insurance covered this disease. I couldn't even get pain killers for it.

Smoking a bit of MJ though works wonders. It relaxes my jaw muscles, releives pain, and while I am "high" I almost forget I have TMJ.

Then once again we will have to agree to disagree.

Given that I have dealt with the people before and after they smoked, I can honestly say they were 100% different. To say they were "spaced out" is an understatement.

Perhaps you were messing with me on the statement about black people because it seems to outrageous for someone to argue it. At any rate, no I don't believe that, nor have I ever heard of it.

The "almost forget part" is funny given that Marijuana affects memory and the senses.

I will agree to that given that under the influence of Marijuana the people seem not all with it, whereas with alcohol they can, and often are violent/belligerent.

Wow - you guys are real cool :roll:

-Kevin

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

Then once again we will have to agree to disagree.

Given that I have dealt with the people before and after they smoked, I can honestly say they were 100% different. To say they were "spaced out" is an understatement.

Perhaps you were messing with me on the statement about black people because it seems to outrageous for someone to argue it. At any rate, no I don't believe that, nor have I ever heard of it.

The "almost forget part" is funny given that Marijuana affects memory and the senses.

I will agree to that given that under the influence of Marijuana the people seem not all with it, whereas with alcohol they can, and often are violent/belligerent.

Wow - you guys are real cool :roll:

-Kevin

It seems about as outrageous to argue that a black man would rape a white woman as it is to say people completly "lose" themselves while high. You just don't know.

Yea, if I'm "high" my response times will be slower. And I shouldn't be driving. Same thing if I take nighttime tylenol.

The thing is. Government should legalize MJ, and regulate it. Allow more potent, cleanly grown MJ into the market. Therefore, it's cleaner, government can know who's buying it, and if it's more potent, people have to smoke less. (the less you have to smoke, the better)

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
It seems about as outrageous to argue that a black man would rape a white woman as it is to say people completly "lose" themselves while high. You just don't know.

But I just gave an example of my knowledge of that:

-Kevin

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
My view is that it is no different than drinking so we are on different levels here. Freakin everyone drinks in college yet somehow, people still have great jobs... weird.

For the record I don't. I turned 21 and had 1 beer just because I then could. I have 0 desire to drink (In fact, I only do so when I can't find anything else tasty to drink in the fridge). Doesn't do any good for myself or anyone else.

I understand if you're an RA that stuff is kind of your job, but I'd probably just let it slide. If somebody wants to waste their life away smoking dope, who cares? That's their decision, not yours. And as Insomniator pointed out, many people can smoke *and* lead reasonably successful lives.

BTW, there are a number of medical uses for marijuana, so yes it can help people.

There is no "letting it slide" they were doing drugs on campus! Next to an RA's room! I let something slide, I am indirectly condoning an action harmful to theirs and others' health, but also I would essentially be asking to get fired.

As for the "thats their decision" part:
A. They made it my decision by the fact that I could sense it in some way shape or form.
B. So since it is there decision, why worry banning anything at all. They are just ruining their lives after all.

As for the medical uses, sure there are some symptoms it helps alleviate - I'm sure if you have a headache, taking a drug in some way and being knocked out of it for 2 hours would help as well. Just because it helps in one area doesn't mean it doesn't hurt another (ie: Smoking apparently relaxes someone, but it also destroys a ton of things in their body).

As for leading reasonably successful lives - I'm sure they could be even more successful if they didn't do drugs ;)

-Kevin

:thumbsup: to decriminalization. We need to implement this in Canada.

Gamingphreek - I have to make a few points here.

You can never know for sure how many people are using currently illegal drugs. These are simply best estimates. Since these drugs are illegal, many people who use will hide their use to avoid punishment. Ironically, this criminalization drives users underground, where it is much harder to identify those with abuse problems. Thus it is more difficult to help those people, which is what we all (including you) are aiming to do.

By purporting that there are no benefits to occasional drug use, you demonstrate that you are extremely closed-minded and ignorant. Many drugs can be used in moderation with significant benefits (relaxation, socializing, introspection and creativity).

There are some incredibly successful people who use drugs - businesspeople, artists, musicians...the list goes on.

As for famous people, there are tons of examples. William S. Burroughs used heroin most of his life and lived into his 80s, George Washington cultivated marijuana, Hunter S. Thompson wrote the most famous gonzo literature while under the influence of all manner of drugs, etc.

Decriminalization and regulation takes profits away from organized crime, frees up police and court resources, allows safer access to quality controlled substances, and removes the stigma associated with use. It makes it easier to identify people with abuse problems and direct them to treatment.

Welcome to the real world.

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007

The thing is. Government should legalize MJ, and regulate it. Allow more potent, cleanly grown MJ into the market. Therefore, it's cleaner, government can know who's buying it, and if it's more potent, people have to smoke less. (the less you have to smoke, the better)

:thumbsup: When you have regulation, people know exactly what they're consuming, and they know it's not contaminated with other substances, as so often happens with black market products.

For reference, prohibition era moonshine blinded and killed people. Now when you buy liquor, wine or beer, you know the exact alcohol content, so you can make an informed decision about how much to consume.

Regulation = win for government and win for public.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

-Kevin

Have you smoked weed? Your statement of having "dealt" with a few people doesn't quantify or qualify your experience in a way that gives you any kind of authority in the matter.

Dude, seriously, if someone rips on a bong all night, they're going to be wasted. They'll probably fall asleep on the couch. THIS is why the same laws should apply to weed as drinking. Don't get stoned and drive.

Dude, seriously, if someone drinks NyQuil all night, they're going to be wasted. They'll probably fall asleep on the couch. THIS is why the same laws should apply to NyQuil as drinking. Don't get Nyquil'd and drive.

Would you narc on someone sipping NyQuil because they needed to relax and had a headache?

Sitting in your home, smoking a joint to relax, that's a totally different thing than smoking as much weed as possible until you pass out (that's abuse). I've been out and about while "high" many times, and nobody knows. Many people that are close to me have no idea I smoke. I don't even smoke much any more, but my moderate use in the past has never made it obvious to anybody that I was on the influence of anything.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
GamingPhreek, do you think smoking MJ kills brain cells?

(hint, it doesn't).

What exactly does smoking MJ destroy in the body? I'm curious if you can actually back that up.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Yea sure... Portugal = United States

Population of Portugal: 10,676,910
Populationg of USA: 304,059,724

Totally the same :roll:

Not only that, can someone please explain how you get a "Drug Usage Statistic"? It would seem to me that if we new precisely what percentage of our population was using drugs we would be able to catch them...

-Kevin

catch them? They aren't fish.

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003
GamingPhreek, do you think smoking MJ kills brain cells?

(hint, it doesn't).

What exactly does smoking MJ destroy in the body? I'm curious if you can actually back that up.

It destroys your proud christian morals. DUH!

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
the issue I take with that is: Marijuana, when a person uses it, loses his/herself. If they were fun loving, caring, (etc...) they are no longer the person you used to know and love while under the influence of the drug.

There are so many things wrong with this statement I don't even know where to begin.

BTW-

Your experience is such because all you know is punk college kids who like to blaze. There are soooooooo many responsible adults out there who like to partake and who can handle themselves - the bottom line is you have no idea because your sample size is so small.

yuchai

Aug 24, 2004
I don't have experience with MJ so I'm curious - would legalizing drugs hurt business for the alcohol industry? If it does, I would think that lobbying from the alcohol industry would make sure that this never happens.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

-Kevin

Have you smoked weed? Your statement of having "dealt" with a few people doesn't quantify or qualify your experience in a way that gives you any kind of authority in the matter.

Dude, seriously, if someone rips on a bong all night, they're going to be wasted. They'll probably fall asleep on the couch. THIS is why the same laws should apply to weed as drinking. Don't get stoned and drive.

Dude, seriously, if someone drinks NyQuil all night, they're going to be wasted. They'll probably fall asleep on the couch. THIS is why the same laws should apply to NyQuil as drinking. Don't get Nyquil'd and drive.

Would you narc on someone sipping NyQuil because they needed to relax and had a headache?

Sitting in your home, smoking a joint to relax, that's a totally different thing than smoking as much weed as possible until you pass out (that's abuse). I've been out and about while "high" many times, and nobody knows. Many people that are close to me have no idea I smoke. I don't even smoke much any more, but my moderate use in the past has never made it obvious to anybody that I was on the influence of anything.

As in I have had to talk to them and tell them to knock off whatever they were doing in there room at one point in the night. When I was called back later in the night, after they had been smoking, they were listless and everything seemed to be blanked out.

Decriminalizing it will not do anything about abuse. If you abuse something, you are going to continue abusing it regardless of whether or not it is legal or illegal - you aren't suddenly going to decide to "get help".

Additionally, the problem then becomes, the people who didn't use it because it was illegal, but would in the event it is legalized.

Furthermore, with Nyquil (or whatever ingestible medicine you want to use) you are drinking it. With Marijuana, you are smoking it. With Marijuana, the people around you also inhale it whether they want to or not.

Finally, in the incidents I have dealt with, I can say, that from my experience it was detrimental to my health. I have asthma and was doubled over coughing when I got back to my room after dealing with the incident. Furthermore, I felt sick to my stomach the rest of the night.... I was fine before the incident.

As for people not noticing, I'm not sure how you can't notice the smell of it? It is like a million different combinations of garbage all burning at once - disgusting.

-Kevin

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Decriminalizing it will not do anything about abuse. If you abuse something, you are going to continue abusing it regardless of whether or not it is legal or illegal - you aren't suddenly going to decide to "get help".

That is true. So decriminalizing it would instead NOT fuck over the people who use it responsibly.

Additionally, the problem then becomes, the people who didn't use it because it was illegal, but would in the event it is legalized.
People don't drink alcohol and that shit is legal, same with cigs. I blaze regularly but refuse to smoke cigs - this is a personal choice, not a matter of legality

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Including hard drugs? Did it have a severe problem before compared to the US?

According to this CBS article the U.S. Leads The World In Illegal Drug Use. But I'm not sure as to the accuracy of the finding, because people aren't going to volunteer information if they fears that they will be caught. Therefore drug use statistic is not going to be accurate both in the US or Portugal, however we can look at the cost of fighting the war on drug in the US vs. Portugal, the EU, Australia, and Canada to see how effective it have been.

I'm 41 year old and I haven't take drug, and I have about 3-4 beers a year and the odd 1 or 2 glass of wine per year at weddings and funerals. However I support the decriminalization of drug so that user aren't afraid to get help.