Awesome News.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: edro
The war on drugs is a HUGE source of income by the government.
Why would they stop it?
Taxing it would net much less in income.

It's a huge source of income?

Originally posted by: Gamingphreek
Already took care of 6 people smoking marijuana at my school last year...

-Kevin

Wow, good job, you sure did the world a favor. :roll:

Legendary

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2002
Of course. It seems so logical that all the statisticians running these (government?) surveys are in it with the huge marijuana and cocaine lobbies. How can we trust their statistics when they're obviously bought and paid for?

Why is it so hard to believe decriminalization actually works?

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Why would they stop it?

-Kevin

That was in response to this:

1000 people smoking in the college area any given night... go get em!

(Smoking it in the room next to their RA's room (me) with so much of it that it comes through the wall as well as into the hall is about as dumb as they come)

I would like to think that will help those students get their lives together, so hopefully I, at least in the long term, ended up doing them a favor!

Of course. It seems so logical that all the statisticians running these (government?) surveys are in it with the huge marijuana and cocaine lobbies. How can we trust their statistics when they're obviously bought and paid for?

They are paid for them - congratulations! How in the world can they possibly generate any quantifiable number in the first place though!?!?!

-Kevin

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Why would they stop it?

-Kevin

(Smoking it in the room next to their RA's room (me) with so much of it that it comes through the wall as well as into the hall is about as dumb as they come)

I would like to think that will help those students get their lives together, so hopefully I, at least in the long term, ended up doing them a favor!

They are paid for them - congratulations! How in the world can they possibly generate any quantifiable number in the first place though!?!?!

-Kevin

Actually, you just made them move to another place to smoke and probably looked like a douchebag during the process. Though I understand RA's gotta take care of that or they lose their job and free housing.

I can guarantee that you did not help them "get their lives together" because they probably didn't need help in the first place (they were in college weren't they?)

you can keep thinking that if it makes you feel better though...

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Insomniator
Why would they stop it?

-Kevin

-Kevin

Actually, you just made them move to another place to smoke and probably looked like a douchebag during the process. Though I understand RA's gotta take care of that or they lose their job and free housing.

I can guarantee that you did not help them "get their lives together" because they probably didn't need help in the first place (they were in college weren't they?)

They definitely weren't moving anywhere but back with their parents...

Job and housing is a benefit of the job, but absolutely not my driving force in that job. I like helping people - that is quite simply why I enjoy and take pride in that job.

So you are saying that people who go to college always have their life together at that point? They most definitely weren't grateful for being blessed with the ability to go to college/succeed. Seems to me that they were needlessly squandering it.

It kills me to see that you apparently think I revel in seeing kids getting taken away in hand cuffs. That is one of the worst feelings I have experienced in my life the first time I saw that :( - so don't for one second think that I enjoy seeing people get in trouble!!

-Kevin

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Insomniator
Why would they stop it?

-Kevin

-Kevin

They definitely weren't moving anywhere but back with their parents...

Job and housing is a benefit of the job, but absolutely not my driving force in that job. I like helping people - that is quite simply why I enjoy and take pride in that job.

So you are saying that people who go to college always have their life together at that point? They most definitely weren't grateful for being blessed with the ability to go to college/succeed. Seems to me that they were needlessly squandering it.

It kills me to see that you apparently think I revel in seeing kids getting taken away in hand cuffs. That is one of the worst feelings I have experienced in my life the first time I saw that :( - so don't for one second think that I enjoy seeing people get in trouble!!

-Kevin

I didn't mean to say you enjoy it. However my life would be quite a bit worse off now had I been taken away in handcuffs and kicked out of school instead of being allowed to graduate and get a good job despite my smoking the entire time.

It helps some people and hurts others, do you feel comfortable taking that risk? This is especially true for marijuana... which _a_lot_ of people smoke casually all the time. Yeah, if the kid is shooting up heroine then by all means go help em.

amddude

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006
I don't know that smoking weed in college is squandering your time there, or your education. Certainly not more than any other activity.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I didn't mean to say you enjoy it. However my life would be quite a bit worse off now had I been taken away in handcuffs and kicked out of school instead of being allowed to graduate and get a good job despite my smoking the entire time.

It helps some people and hurts others, do you feel comfortable taking that risk? This is especially true for marijuana... which _a_lot_ of people smoke casually all the time. Yeah, if the kid is shooting up heroine then by all means go help em.

Well I don't believe they are expelled - but I believe they are suspended for a while.

There is absolutely no situation where it can help people. 0. Nada. None. There are no positive health (or otherwise) benefits from any drugs. (Though I perhaps misunderstood your argument there ;) - were you referring to me helping them? or the marijuana lol?)

-Kevin

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
I was talking about you helping them or not... I just personally know a lot if kids that would have been screwed had they been caught and sent home but instead they graduated and are just fine. Now I'm sure there are also some that do nothing and drop out, but plenty that do not smoke do that also.

My view is that it is no different than drinking so we are on different levels here. Freakin everyone drinks in college yet somehow, people still have great jobs... weird.

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003
Originally posted by: PokerGuy
I find it comical that some idiots get all excited about decriminalization. Decriminalization seem to me like a good idea in terms of not wasting tons of resources, crowding jails, reducing crime associated with trafficking etc, but none of that changes the fact that using the stuff is still stupid. I don't want society wasting it's time trying to prevent people from ingesting something, but there's no reason to get all excited about it unless you're one of the morons who use.

This coming from a guy whose username is PokerGuy. Gambling is stupid, yet its legal in some states. I dont want society wasting time dealing with degenerate gamblers, but there's no reason to get all excited about it unless your one of the morons who gambles away all your money.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
I understand if you're an RA that stuff is kind of your job, but I'd probably just let it slide. If somebody wants to waste their life away smoking dope, who cares? That's their decision, not yours. And as Insomniator pointed out, many people can smoke *and* lead reasonably successful lives.

BTW, there are a number of medical uses for marijuana, so yes it can help people.

Vegitto

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005

Well I don't believe they are expelled - but I believe they are suspended for a while.

There is absolutely no situation where it can help people. 0. Nada. None. There are no positive health (or otherwise) benefits from any drugs. (Though I perhaps misunderstood your argument there ;) - were you referring to me helping them? or the marijuana lol?)

-Kevin

It's been a while since I've posted, but I just wanted to share this:

You are one of the most sad people I've heard from in a while. I bet you get real hard when they take those kids away, don't ya? I know you won't admit it, but I just want you to know we all know you do.

Have a nice day, buddy.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
My view is that it is no different than drinking so we are on different levels here. Freakin everyone drinks in college yet somehow, people still have great jobs... weird.

For the record I don't. I turned 21 and had 1 beer just because I then could. I have 0 desire to drink (In fact, I only do so when I can't find anything else tasty to drink in the fridge). Doesn't do any good for myself or anyone else.

I understand if you're an RA that stuff is kind of your job, but I'd probably just let it slide. If somebody wants to waste their life away smoking dope, who cares? That's their decision, not yours. And as Insomniator pointed out, many people can smoke *and* lead reasonably successful lives.

BTW, there are a number of medical uses for marijuana, so yes it can help people.

There is no "letting it slide" they were doing drugs on campus! Next to an RA's room! I let something slide, I am indirectly condoning an action harmful to theirs and others' health, but also I would essentially be asking to get fired.

As for the "thats their decision" part:
A. They made it my decision by the fact that I could sense it in some way shape or form.
B. So since it is there decision, why worry banning anything at all. They are just ruining their lives after all.

As for the medical uses, sure there are some symptoms it helps alleviate - I'm sure if you have a headache, taking a drug in some way and being knocked out of it for 2 hours would help as well. Just because it helps in one area doesn't mean it doesn't hurt another (ie: Smoking apparently relaxes someone, but it also destroys a ton of things in their body).

As for leading reasonably successful lives - I'm sure they could be even more successful if they didn't do drugs ;)

-Kevin

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Vegitto

-Kevin

You are one of the most sad people I've heard from in a while. I bet you get real hard when they take those kids away, don't ya? I know you won't admit it, but I just want you to know we all know you do.

Have a nice day, buddy.

It kills me to see that you apparently think I revel in seeing kids getting taken away in hand cuffs. That is one of the worst feelings I have experienced in my life the first time I saw that - so don't for one second think that I enjoy seeing people get in trouble!!

^ From earlier. And don't you dare insinuate that I enjoy seeing other people hurting in anyway way shape or form :|!

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Eli
No shit?! Amazing! :roll:

So infuriating it's unbelievable. The war on drugs is the biggest crock of shit the United States has ever embarked upon. What a waste of money, resources and lives.

Agreed. I don't even use drugs, dislike it when other people do, but still feel the system is broken.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

As for leading reasonably successful lives - I'm sure they could be even more successful if they didn't do drugs ;)

-Kevin

A false assumption. I know lots of people who smoke to get away from the stress of their daily grind. They live their white collar lives working 9-8's and need something to keep their sanity.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Everyone in Portugal already use drugs. How would decriminalizing it there increase drug use? It's like decriminalizing drugs in skid row. Or decriminalizing weed in Venice Beach.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Ns1

-Kevin

A false assumption. I know lots of people who smoke to get away from the stress of their daily grind. They live their white collar lives working 9-8's and need something to keep their sanity.

Just think--instead of just being President, Bill Clinton could have been EMPEROR of the WORLD! If only he'd never touched the devil weed :(

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

-Kevin

Have a nice day, buddy.

It kills me to see that you apparently think I revel in seeing kids getting taken away in hand cuffs. That is one of the worst feelings I have experienced in my life the first time I saw that - so don't for one second think that I enjoy seeing people get in trouble!!

^ From earlier. And don't you dare insinuate that I enjoy seeing other people hurting in anyway way shape or form :|!

GP you are a giant DOUCHE narc! Reading your high horse remarks are almost comical.

Do you rat out people smoking cigarrettes too? WTF man. You're obviously brainwashed by the idea that MJ is terrible for you. I'd much rather my kids smoke weed than go out and drink, smoke cigs, or eat alot of mcdonalds. But I know the truth about the plant. You're just brainwashed.

Smoking weed isn't that bad for you. Abusing it (aka hitting a bong 150 times a day) isn't healthy, but still not as bad as smoking a pack of cigarrettes. Your brain actually has built in receptors just for THC. MJ has been proven to not cause lung cancer, and actually help PREVENT it. It relaxes people. It helps stressful minds unwind.

You're a fucktard.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: TechBoyJK

-Kevin

Have a nice day, buddy.

GP you are a giant DOUCHE narc! Reading your high horse remarks are almost comical.

Do you rat out people smoking cigarrettes too? WTF man. You're obviously brainwashed by the idea that MJ is terrible for you. I'd much rather my kids smoke weed than go out and drink, smoke cigs, or eat alot of mcdonalds. But I know the truth about the plant. You're just brainwashed.

Wow - an insult.. what a great and highly effective argument :roll:

My high nose remarks? What that I, along with a vast majority of people in this world don't do illegal drugs!?

Where did I say that I rat people out for anything?

Just because I don't drink much for my own reasons and didn't drink under 21 doesn't mean I judge other people if they drink under 21. You on the other hand seem to insult anyone's idea that doesn't coincide with yours.

WTF man. You're obviously brainwashed by the idea that MJ is terrible for you. I'd much rather my kids smoke weed than go out and drink, smoke cigs, or eat alot of mcdonalds. But I know the truth about the plant. You're just brainwashed.

Well you would be a pretty poor parent then - and I sincerely hope that you don't believe that.

You're a fucktard.

You also learned to support your insults by cursing too. Everything a well rounded argument needs...

-Kevin

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by: TechBoyJK

-Kevin

Have a nice day, buddy.

Wow - an insult.. what a great and highly effective argument :roll:

My high nose remarks? What that I, along with a vast majority of people in this world don't do illegal drugs!?

Where did I say that I rat people out for anything?

Just because I don't drink much for my own reasons and didn't drink under 21 doesn't mean I judge other people if they drink under 21. You on the other hand seem to insult anyone's idea that doesn't coincide with yours.

WTF man. You're obviously brainwashed by the idea that MJ is terrible for you. I'd much rather my kids smoke weed than go out and drink, smoke cigs, or eat alot of mcdonalds. But I know the truth about the plant. You're just brainwashed.

Well you would be a pretty poor parent then - and I sincerely hope that you don't believe that.

You're a fucktard.

You also learned to support your insults by cursing too. Everything a well rounded argument needs...

-Kevin

Actually it sounds like the opposite would be true. You clearly have no experience with the topic at hand. Its not a knock on you, you are just one of those people that does not understand due to brainwashing, or just out of ignorance.

After seeing how myself was raised, and going to parties (which I'm guessing you did not) it is blatantly obvious that pot is the least of a parents problems. Smoking cigs and especially drinking are far more dangerous.

I sincerely hope you do not try to shelter and control your children to be modeled after yourself.