++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 7461 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I sold my two 560's and one 1070 a few years back as the shortage was just starting and I did not need them. But now I wish I had kept them as spares. I did not think the shortage would have kept going this long. And there's not really much end in sight until they build new fabs and it could take a few years for that to be done.

I have my other 1070 in my gaming PC so I'm good for a while but I'd hate for it to die on me. I do have another GPU that's unused though, I forget which model, it's an older one but it's still usable for most games.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
There's HDD mining now, so watch those become impossible to get too lol. The issue is these companies put all their eggs in one basket so one slight increase in demand or a hit on the supply chain and all hell breaks loose.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I sold my two 560's and one 1070 a few years back as the shortage was just starting and I did not need them. But now I wish I had kept them as spares. I did not think the shortage would have kept going this long. And there's not really much end in sight until they build new fabs and it could take a few years for that to be done.

I have my other 1070 in my gaming PC so I'm good for a while but I'd hate for it to die on me. I do have another GPU that's unused though, I forget which model, it's an older one but it's still usable for most games.

Well, that's what I'm talking about. I have to have backups just in case. Is everyone else here just sell as soon as you upgrade?

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I have a backup of the following:

* video card (x3)
* monitor
* pc case (x2)
* keyboard (x2)
* mouse (x3)
* power supply (x2)
* CPUs (too many to count)
* HSF (x3)
* case fans (a lot)

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
TBH I rarely sell parts. Selling those parts was kind of an exception for me since I had quite a few spares from mining and upgrades.

I have a bin full of random stuff that's too old to sell so I just keep it for shits and giggles. Token ring cards, PCI stuff, even some ISA stuff. Actually there might even be a Sound Blaster 16 in there... I bet that's worth money now lol.

I kind of want to do a vintage build some day for fun, like 486, or maybe Pentium. I'm thinking a Pentium 1 or 2 could be fun, could put windows 95 on it and all the games like Chip's Challenge. Might be hard to find those now days though...

Reactions: bigboxes

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
TBH I rarely sell parts. Selling those parts was kind of an exception for me since I had quite a few spares from mining and upgrades.

I have a bin full of random stuff that's too old to sell so I just keep it for shits and giggles. Token ring cards, PCI stuff, even some ISA stuff. Actually there might even be a Sound Blaster 16 in there... I bet that's worth money now lol.

I kind of want to do a vintage build some day for fun, like 486, or maybe Pentium. I'm thinking a Pentium 1 or 2 could be fun, could put windows 95 on it and all the games like Chip's Challenge. Might be hard to find those now days though...

I still have a working Abit Socket A mobo. The past is mine!

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I still have my Athlon 700 Slot A. Doubt it works though.

Like I said previously, I have my first motherboard, an Abit KT7A-RAID. DOA. There's something about your first build. But I have a working Socket A board if I want to trip down memory lane and fire up those old CPUs. Someday.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I kind of wish I had kept my first build, though I think I SORT of have parts of it. Basically I gave it to my sister which I THINK gave it back to me at some point but I don't remember 100%. Stuff got parted out to some extent. I have a bunch of old PCs in the crawlspace that I need to revisit some day. I kind of want to revive one of them and do a Windows 2000 build for nostalgia. I do have my churche's old PC though which was an AMD 2000+ just like my first build, so that's probably the closest I will get. I actually do still have the hard drive from my first build. A Seagate 60GB drive, i repurposed it as an external drive and it's just in storage now. Back when Seagate was good. Overkill to have a full seized external drive when you can get USB sticks bigger than that now lol.

I also wish I had kept my parent's old P3. it was basically our first family computer. To think it cost like 3 grand for that thing at the time. Took us like 5 years to pay it off, it was obsolete within the first year.

The key about reviving a build like that is having all the driver discs though. I was always pretty good about keeping those, so if I do rebuild one of my machines I should have them somewhere. I would normally put them all in the box the motherboard came in, along with any extra case accessories.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I have my first CPU. It was a hand me down via a co-worker. It was a Compaq with a Intel 200MX processor. Told me it needed a new hard drive. It sucked balls, but got me wanting to learn how to build my own PC.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
B's beat Islanders to lock up 3rd in the East. It's going to be tough to get out of the East. They're all capable of doing it.

AMD64Blondie

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2013
going for a dual-monitor setup.
(When I'm playing games,I can then have my game open on my main monitor,and Discord- or another program- open on the 2nd monitor).

Reactions: bigboxes

Stiff Clamp

Feb 3, 2021
Kind of unnerving, feeling the floor tremble under you while you work at a desk. :grimacing:

Not an earthquake. Construction out back. Probably a new storm drain pipe going in. With retaining wall.