• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 7460 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Now I need to wait 15 min just to make sure there is no severe reaction.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.uovalor.com
My work PC is on it's last legs. It's always been slow but it's even slower now.

Every now and then everything goes white and I need to drag a random window over the white spots to "clean up" so it redraws the programs.

Did a full reboot since it's my first shift. Waiting for it to boot while I nef.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I'm loving sitting in front of this stable system. Alight. Giggity. This is the part that I love. Stability. Just praying the video card doesn't die. Then I'm screwed! Just kidding. I have a backup GTX 970 Gaming X 4G if I need to.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
You know all those peeps that sell everything they have and then something like this happens. Now, you need all those old parts and have to pay a premium. You'd think the apocalypse was upon us!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.uovalor.com
I sold my two 560's and one 1070 a few years back as the shortage was just starting and I did not need them. But now I wish I had kept them as spares. I did not think the shortage would have kept going this long. And there's not really much end in sight until they build new fabs and it could take a few years for that to be done.

I have my other 1070 in my gaming PC so I'm good for a while but I'd hate for it to die on me. I do have another GPU that's unused though, I forget which model, it's an older one but it's still usable for most games.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.uovalor.com
There's HDD mining now, so watch those become impossible to get too lol. The issue is these companies put all their eggs in one basket so one slight increase in demand or a hit on the supply chain and all hell breaks loose.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I sold my two 560's and one 1070 a few years back as the shortage was just starting and I did not need them. But now I wish I had kept them as spares. I did not think the shortage would have kept going this long. And there's not really much end in sight until they build new fabs and it could take a few years for that to be done.

I have my other 1070 in my gaming PC so I'm good for a while but I'd hate for it to die on me. I do have another GPU that's unused though, I forget which model, it's an older one but it's still usable for most games.
Well, that's what I'm talking about. I have to have backups just in case. Is everyone else here just sell as soon as you upgrade?

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I have a backup of the following:

* video card (x3)
* monitor
* pc case (x2)
* keyboard (x2)
* mouse (x3)
* power supply (x2)
* CPUs (too many to count)
* HSF (x3)
* case fans (a lot)

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.uovalor.com
TBH I rarely sell parts. Selling those parts was kind of an exception for me since I had quite a few spares from mining and upgrades.

I have a bin full of random stuff that's too old to sell so I just keep it for shits and giggles. Token ring cards, PCI stuff, even some ISA stuff. Actually there might even be a Sound Blaster 16 in there... I bet that's worth money now lol.

I kind of want to do a vintage build some day for fun, like 486, or maybe Pentium. I'm thinking a Pentium 1 or 2 could be fun, could put windows 95 on it and all the games like Chip's Challenge. Might be hard to find those now days though...

Reactions: bigboxes

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
TBH I rarely sell parts. Selling those parts was kind of an exception for me since I had quite a few spares from mining and upgrades.

I have a bin full of random stuff that's too old to sell so I just keep it for shits and giggles. Token ring cards, PCI stuff, even some ISA stuff. Actually there might even be a Sound Blaster 16 in there... I bet that's worth money now lol.

I kind of want to do a vintage build some day for fun, like 486, or maybe Pentium. I'm thinking a Pentium 1 or 2 could be fun, could put windows 95 on it and all the games like Chip's Challenge. Might be hard to find those now days though...
I still have a working Abit Socket A mobo. The past is mine!

ASK THE COMMUNITY