++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 7430 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That sounds painful. That reminds me we need to download our T4 manually now, but good part of that is we don't have to wait until like March for it anymore. Going to have to check to see if they're available for download. It's pretty much the last thing left until I can get my taxes done.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
My internet was out for two days. Real hardship, I know. Came back up at 1:30 this morning. Woke up today and the water is off. No showers. No shaves (yes, I'm the lone male who still shaves). No water to flush toilets. Friend's power has been out for over two days now. He only lives a mile away. I'm currently melting snow on my stove top so I can have water to flush the toilets.

IeJYxpqh.jpg

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That sounds painful. That reminds me we need to download our T4 manually now, but good part of that is we don't have to wait until like March for it anymore. Going to have to check to see if they're available for download. It's pretty much the last thing left until I can get my taxes done.

This is business, but since I am operating from home and pandemic really shot up my home energy and water use.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My internet was out for two days. Real hardship, I know. Came back up at 1:30 this morning. Woke up today and the water is off. No showers. No shaves (yes, I'm the lone male who still shaves). No water to flush toilets. Friend's power has been out for over two days now. He only lives a mile away. I'm currently melting snow on my stove top so I can have water to flush the toilets.

IeJYxpqh.jpg

Fun times. I had to do that the other day too when my water was out due to broken water main in my area. I easily could have gone to my parent's or sister's place if I was really stuck but I'm stubborn and wanted to figure things out myself. :p I did end up going to my sister's to take a shower though, easier than trying to take a sponge bath with snow. I could have if I really had to though.

What sucks is places that have no water AND no power. Something I never accounted for much myself and I'm honestly not all that prepared for such scenario. Losing one or the other for a short period is not so bad, but both for days is tough.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
This is business, but since I am operating from home and pandemic really shot up my home energy and water use.

Hmm I wonder if they have any type of tax break stuff for people that had to work from home. I'm sure my tax person will have that figured out. Probably based on percentage of time spent working at home vs at work though, and I've mostly been at the office.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
PSA: You need to melt a LOT of snow to get water.
Snow is basically fluffy ice and ice is low density water.

You want 20 pounds of water? You need 20 pounds of snow.
Thats a fuckload of snow.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
one gallon of water is 8.35 pounds.
normal showerheads spew 5 gallons of water per minute.
most people take 10 minute showers.

You would need 417 and a half pounds of snow to take a normal shower. or 100 pounds to take an efficient shower.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Snow weighs 24.97 pounds per cubic foot.
You'd have to shovel 16.72 cubic feet to get a showers worth. and god only knows how much energy it takes to melt all that.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

Yeah it's crazy how little water you get from it. For me it was basically enough to flush the toilet and to wash hands after going to the bathroom. If I had to do this for longer I would have built some kind of heat pad I can put in the snow to melt it faster too as having it just sit there took a while without having to keep boiling it and then pouring the water in to try to melt the rest.

Water has lot of energy storage density, so having to bring it from like -30 to above 0 takes a lot of energy.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Most terlets need 1.6 gallons to flush.
Which is 13.36 pounds of water. Which is 13.36 pounds of snow.
Which is like half a cubic foot. Which is probably one good scoop of snow for the average husky Canadian ginger.
Every time you wanna shit you have to go a shovel one scoop.

I recommend you just pee down the drain.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002

Tell me about it. I just want to be able to take a shit and be able to flush it. If none of the businesses have water then I can't get around it. I'm taking tomorrow off. I may go to Dallas tomorrow and see if it's better over there.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That's good news, keep it running, the water might help melt what is left or at least stop it from freezing back over. Unless there's a break somewhere then that is another story.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
That's good news, keep it running, the water might help melt what is left or at least stop it from freezing back over. Unless there's a break somewhere then that is another story.

If it's more than a dribble then I couldn't afford to leave the water on. The stream has gotten stronger. The toilet tanks are filling on their own now. Just slower than normal. Providing a steady supply of water is better than no water.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
my problem is an electric water heater. it does not get very hot nor very fast, so if something happens I'll be bathing in cool water relatively quick.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Can we put jokes we find in this thread? Just saw this on reddit:

Two beggars in London

Ali and Habib are beggars. They beg in different areas of London ...

Habib begs just as long as Ali does, but only collects £2 to £3 every day.

Ali brings home a suitcase FULL of £10 notes, drives a Mercedes, lives in a mortgage-free house and has a lot of money to spend.

Habib asks Ali 'I work just as long and hard as you do but how is it that you bring home a suitcase full of £10 notes every day?'

Ali says, 'Look at your sign, what does it say'?

Habib's sign reads 'I have no work, a wife and 6 kids to support'.

Ali says No wonder you only get £2- £3

Habib says 'So what does your sign say'?

Ali shows Habib his sign. It reads:

'I only need another £10 to move back to Pakistan'.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
My water is back to normal. Nice to get a shower and shave. Feel clean again. Still took the day off. Got out and about. Places are still half closed. The shelves have been picked through. The temps will rise and melt all the snow this weekend. Things will get back to normal come Monday. At least, that is the hope.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
my problem is an electric water heater. it does not get very hot nor very fast, so if something happens I'll be bathing in cool water relatively quick.

Been toying with getting an electric water heater as mine is on the way out and they're cheaper and easy to install DIY, but I do worry it might end up costing too much to run, or run out of water faster. Would be nice to get a condensing tankless gas model but those are crazy expensive. I'll probably end up just getting a conventional gas model though. Not as efficient but probably still cheaper to run than electric, and not THAT much more expensive to buy. I don't trust myself around gas though so I'd probably want to hire it out. :p

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Been toying with getting an electric water heater as mine is on the way out and they're cheaper and easy to install DIY, but I do worry it might end up costing too much to run, or run out of water faster. Would be nice to get a condensing tankless gas model but those are crazy expensive. I'll probably end up just getting a conventional gas model though. Not as efficient but probably still cheaper to run than electric, and not THAT much more expensive to buy. I don't trust myself around gas though so I'd probably want to hire it out. :p

Look into an electric tankless, cheaper and easier to install and maintain than gas versions. There is probably a comparison between electric tankless and traditional gas boilers as far as energy usage. Then plug that into a calculator with your energy prices and you can see if it's worth it. For a small household of one or two a tankless electric is more than adequate. 8GPM.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Look into an electric tankless, cheaper and easier to install and maintain than gas versions. There is probably a comparison between electric tankless and traditional gas boilers as far as energy usage. Then plug that into a calculator with your energy prices and you can see if it's worth it. For a small household of one or two a tankless electric is more than adequate. 8GPM.

Those need like 36kw lol. I would need to upgrade my whole hydro service since I only have 24kw. If I go tankless then I may as well go gas. The condensing units are pretty nice. At some point I may look at that and install it myself and then just hire out the gas fitting.