++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 1070 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I personally think anyone who gets married in their 20s in this day and age is retarded. It is a really, really bad idea.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
A three pack of condoms: for a teenager, Friday, Saturday, Sunday.
A six pack of condoms: for a young single male, six of seven nights of the week.
A twelve pack of condoms: for the married man, one a month.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I'm sorry.

All those old sayings and stories about women changing after they get married, in my experience, are true. And when I say "my experience," I'm not necessarily talking about myself or JUST myself. Many of my married friends tell me the same things have happened to them. You might consider it anecdotal but I think the accounts are so widespread that it is beyond just anecdotal evidence.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
I personally think anyone who gets married is retarded.

1) Divorce rates are around 50%, so really, flip a coin.
2) The man ends up getting fucked in divorce court. If there is alimony, it goes to the woman at a rate of I think 97%.
3) If there's kids, it's really fucked up. The woman gets the kids in 85-90% of cases, then she'll get the house too, then child support and alimony.
So the legal system is stacked WAY in the favor of the woman.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
All those old sayings and stories about women changing after they get married, in my experience, are true. And when I say "my experience," I'm not necessarily talking about myself or JUST myself. Many of my married friends tell me the same things have happened to them. You might consider it anecdotal but I think the accounts are so widespread that it is beyond just anecdotal evidence.

I do not consider it anecdotal, I consider it to be truth, as the stories of it have been far too widespread for far too many years to just be isolated experiences.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
The woman marries thinking she will change the man.
The man marries thinking the woman will never change.

Neither side is happy.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Because, of course, she does change. For many women, marriage means no more need to have sex (except to pop out a kid), lose the lingerie, lose the nice clothes, pile on the blubber, trash the makeup - after all, she's succeeded! She has a ring on her finger, she has a husband. She can go ahead and satisfy the slow tick-tick-tick of her biological clock, and she and her brood will be provided for.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
There's a brilliant piece I read a while ago where a woman wrote to some anonymous question service, saying she was in NYC, and kept meeting six figure men, and she wanted to meet a seven figure man, and get married. So, I'll give her credit for one thing - she's honest. She is as much a gold digger as any other in her gender, but she doesn't hide it.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Anyways, a man, ostensibly a seven figure man, wrote back. He informed her that his wealth was increasing, his value was increasing. She, on the other hand, brought only her looks to the relationship, and that was a value that was decreasing. Thus, she became a depreciating asset, and accordingly, a marriage would be foolish from his perspective.

He did offer that he would entertain the prospect of a "lease" with her - a relationship spanning a few years.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
While they are young and pretty, they want to get married, because then they believe themselves to be set for life.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I personally think anyone who gets married is retarded.

At some point in life, you'll get lonely and bored. The issue is that while you may not get married, your friends probably will and you'll be left out in the cold.

My wife and I experience this to some extent with regards to kids. We have a limited set of friends to hang out with -- not because we don't have lots of people we like and would want to hang out with, but because many are married with kids and they have little or not time to hang out with us. Our annual New Years Eve party could be huge but kids are forbidden and that eliminates many people.

That, and the few single friends we have are ridiculous. My wife had a couple of single friends (one has since got married after meeting a guy on the internet and dating him for 2 whole months :eek:) that literally could only get together one night a month or so due to "other commitments." I'm sorry, but if you're single, you have no other real commitments that are that important. Don't complain about being busy when you book yourself for stupid shit every night. I HATE people like that.

1) Divorce rates are around 50%, so really, flip a coin.
2) The man ends up getting fucked in divorce court. If there is alimony, it goes to the woman at a rate of I think 97%.

No alimony in Indiana and without kids, divorces are pretty straightforward. The only thing I did was have her sign a prenup that protected my down payment on the house. In all honesty, it was not even necessary to do that since the money was from my personal premarital account and I bought the house before we were married. I don't really believe in divorce though so I'm not worried and I'd have no issue splitting assets.

3) If there's kids, it's really fucked up. The woman gets the kids in 85-90% of cases, then she'll get the house too, then child support and alimony.
So the legal system is stacked WAY in the favor of the woman.

Another reason not to have kids.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Lonely and bored... yeah, and the best answer for that is to have tons of money so you can get a new girlfriend every few years. You get older, but they stay the same age.... :awe:

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
I always figure most women must go slightly ballistic over a pre-nup. Was it Eddie Murphy who had a brilliant skit on it? Yeah, I think it was.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Anyways, a man, ostensibly a seven figure man, wrote back. He informed her that his wealth was increasing, his value was increasing. She, on the other hand, brought only her looks to the relationship, and that was a value that was decreasing. Thus, she became a depreciating asset, and accordingly, a marriage would be foolish from his perspective.

He did offer that he would entertain the prospect of a "lease" with her - a relationship spanning a few years.

I read that article and laughed hard. The millionaire slapped her hard.

My wife has another single friend who can't meet a man to save her life. She is good looking and has a big rack. Her problem is that she is very pretentious and doesn't have very good social skills. She claims she is "picky," but every man she has hooked up to since I've known her has been an emo bitch, a cheater, or in the last case, a kid (he was 20 and she was 31). She still talks about that 20 year-old like it was something meaningful even though everyone told her it was stupid. I am embarrassed for her because she doesn't see what an ass she is making of herself.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
I read that article and laughed hard. The millionaire slapped her hard.

My wife has another single friend who can't meet a man to save her life. She is good looking and has a big rack. Her problem is that she is very pretentious and doesn't have very good social skills. She claims she is "picky," but every man she has hooked up to since I've known her has been an emo bitch, a cheater, or in the last case, a kid (he was 20 and she was 31). She still talks about that 20 year-old like it was something meaningful even though everyone told her it was stupid. I am embarrassed for her because she doesn't see what an ass she is making of herself.

So she has no taste in men; something many women have a problem with.

I used to get aggravated; now I just find it hilarious when a woman complains about a lack of nice guys.