Athlon FX60 Barebone Kit: $399.99 at tigerdirect

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Thanks esquared. All I need is to display video..his dad says he needs a school comp and I don't want to contribute to delinquency of a minor with a 3d card.:p

Solema

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2002
Zebo if you have a MicroCenter nearby, they are running a 20% off ALL PCI-e card sale, and there are some cheap ones. I picked up a nice 7300GS 256MB card for $51 for my Dad and it's fully Vista-capable.

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
Tiger has some great deals on the FX-60, while Newegg keeps RAISING the price, now up to 608.99 for the retail FX-60 CPU

How about the RETAIL box FX-60 and Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit for 400.00 at Tiger?
Not bad at all.

flyboy84

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2004
Originally posted by: GeezerMan
Tiger has some great deals on the FX-60, while Newegg keeps RAISING the price, now up to 608.99 for the retail FX-60 CPU

How about the RETAIL box FX-60 and Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit for 400.00 at Tiger?
Not bad at all.

I'm thinking of jumping on this or the vista ultimate bundle

Solema

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2002
I have to say, for this transaction, TD was fantastic. I ordered the $299 Mach Speed Mobo + FX-60 bundle late at night and it shipped the next day. I just got it today and I popped the CPU into my DFI NF4 SLI-DR and this thing flies! I haven't yet toyed with overclocking since I am recording stock temps to compare to when I move my system to my new Antec P180 this weekend (from the Best Buy deal). Then I'll start jumping the CPU up and let you all know how it fares. I'm hoping for 3GHz at near-stock voltages.

Dyflam

Mar 2, 2000
I bit... looking forward to the upgrade. Florida sales tax... bahhh.

Thanks for the post crash.

n666

Jan 19, 2004
is anybody using the fan that came with this deal? it's pretty ridiculous and a pain to put on... any suggestions on another fan (that might hopefully be in Fry's cause it's just down the block)

thanks

Solema

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2002
I'm using a Zalman 9500 with it, and it works well. Currently stable at 2.8GHz stock voltage. Gonna go for 3GHz even when I have time.

jasonja

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
For those of you that ordered this did you get all the parts in one shipment? At one point TD told me the CPU's were on backorder.

{edit} Nevermind, looks like they've killed the free 512mb flash driver offer.

You can now get $15 off this deal if you use Paypal to pay using the $15 off $30 deal. See Techbargains for the link

Spurst

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2000
its not even close to the same. =/

i like the fx-60 deal better.

n666, i had no issues putting the fan on. just follow the directions.

n666

Jan 19, 2004
i just look kinda looked at it and seemed that
1) it was gona be a pain trying to screw the middle part on, having to go between the blades
2) it was very close over the DIMM slots making it difficult to remove ram.

as for the deal above i know that it's fx-60 we're talking about, just from a personal view for me it's kinda overkill heh and i'd put the hdd, burner, and ram to better use.

Speaking of which.. what's your set-up on this barebone, if you dont mind telling

Spurst

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2000
7900gs - $130
1 Gig dual channel PC3200 - had it
SATA Raptor 36gig - Had it
Cheap DL DVD burner - had it
WD Mybook 250gb External USB Drive - Had it.

I had 2 gigs of ram from my old pc. this board only likes 2 modules, because when i feed it 4, it defaults to 333mhz on my ram speed. So... im using 1 gig until i find a deal on 2 1gig sticks. Had i known my ram wouldnt work, i might have gone DDR2 and AM2, but this works fine for what I need. I am not particularly fond of the motherboard, because I think the LAN card is quirky (im having ping stability issues in games), but it might my my cable modem and not this board.

For my non-internet games, this thing seems pretty quick. I have a gigabit gaming router in the mail, so it should be nice to get a gigabit connection to my lan server.

All in all, i am very happy with this purchase. Plus, my athlon64 @2.6 that i recently got on the neweg deal before christmas gets to work as my new media center pc. I really didn't need this upgrade, but it didn't hurt. :)

Solema

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2002
Have any of you that are using the MachSpeed motherboard that comes with some of TD's FX-60 combos been able to get your ram to run at 1T? Mine keeps defaulting to 2T command rate, with no way to change it in the BIOS.

jasonja

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Spurst
7900gs - $130
1 Gig dual channel PC3200 - had it
SATA Raptor 36gig - Had it
Cheap DL DVD burner - had it
WD Mybook 250gb External USB Drive - Had it.

I had 2 gigs of ram from my old pc. this board only likes 2 modules, because when i feed it 4, it defaults to 333mhz on my ram speed. So... im using 1 gig until i find a deal on 2 1gig sticks. Had i known my ram wouldnt work, i might have gone DDR2 and AM2, but this works fine for what I need. I am not particularly fond of the motherboard, because I think the LAN card is quirky (im having ping stability issues in games), but it might my my cable modem and not this board.

For my non-internet games, this thing seems pretty quick. I have a gigabit gaming router in the mail, so it should be nice to get a gigabit connection to my lan server.

All in all, i am very happy with this purchase. Plus, my athlon64 @2.6 that i recently got on the neweg deal before christmas gets to work as my new media center pc. I really didn't need this upgrade, but it didn't hurt. :)

My Nforce board does this too when it's set to auto. I changed the RAM timing from "auto" to "detect by SPD" and it now runs at 400mhz and it seems to work fine.

Dyflam

Mar 2, 2000
Originally posted by: R Milford
Sorry to bother you guys again, but:

1) I moved the RAM to slots A1 & B1

2) My PSU is an Ultra 500 Watt ATX with the following;

2 Strands 4 4-Pin Molex and 1 each of 4-Pin floppy

1 Strand 2 SATA plugs

1 Strand 6-Pin (2 X 3 Rows) Plug

1 Strand 8-Pin (2 X 4 Rows) Plug

1 Strand 20-Pin (2 X 10 Rows) Plug with 1 Strand 4-Pin Square (2 X 2) that attaches to the 20-Pin plug.

I tried putting them together for the 24-Pin socket on the MB. With this set-up the fans spin but will not boot If I split them to put the 4-Pin in the ATX12 M/B socket and place the remaining 20-Pin plug in the upper 20 pins of the 24-Pin M/B Socket nothing happens (no PSU fan spin, no case fan spin).

I have read about a 20-Pin to 24-Pin conversion set of sockets , but I also read that 20-Pin will work in the 24-PIN socket.

Again, thank you all for the help. I feel like such an IDIOT!

R Milford

Just got all my stuff and am doing the exact same thing with the exact same results... go figure. The only 4 pin (2X2) out of this PS is the one connected to the 24 pin connector. Oh well... the struggle continues.

Spurst

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2000
if you look at the atx power connector, one set of 4 pins should pull off the main bunch.