AT World of Warcraft Thread (Mists, Where do you play, General BS and all that)

Page 53 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
So after not playing for....years? I had the urge to log in and see if any old guildies still played. So i got the Cataclysm 10 day trail, downloaded the 22gb game and fired it up. Havent found any guildies i know but its been awhile.

But holy crap have things changed. I hardly recognize the game other than the graphics. I played a druid from pretty much a month or two after release up till WotLK Tier 9? (tier right before the final tier). Played as resto and balance druid. Even that is completely changed! No more 41 point talents haha. Kind of interesting to see everything and how new it all looks. Hadnt followed the game since i quit.

Still without knowing what anything does i went to hyjal and it was pretty dang easy. Just starfire/wrath spam with some moonfires and nothing gave me a problem at all. Still kind of fun to just run around and own things. Im sure my old gear helps a bit (mix of tier 9 and tier 8). ill probably play the trail out and then decide if i want to get back into things for a little while or not. So far its actually kind of fun :)

Random but hey its new and exciting compared to what i used to know!

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Patch 5.2 PTR Official Notes Update

Interesting Notes
•To encourage Raid Finder groups to persevere, each time an Raid Finder group wipes on a boss fight all players in the group receives a stacking buff that increases health, damage dealt, and healing done by 5% (up to a maximum of 10 stacks). This buff is cleared once the boss has been killed.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
That's an odd change but I kind of like it. I hate getting in 3/4 groups when I actually need loot from LFR. Of course it's wonderful when I just need the VP, but I expect a new raid so I have already set aside that much time.

shishi

Jan 30, 2013
Going to pick up on WoW again, stopped for a while. Where do you guys get your sub? From blizz or prepaids?

On another note, are there any high rated PvPers here? I'd like to ask/talk about PvP's current state!

Last edited:

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Last night got Heroic Bladelord in Heart of Fear.

That puts my group at 5 heroic kills now. That whole everyone gets sucked to the center and then slowly gets thrown to the end of the hallway, on heroic sucks. Since most the time half the raid at least was under 25% hp from all the damage the boss was dishing out and not being able to do anything about it.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Also healing monk changes in 5.2

-Blackout kick (mistweaver) will now also hit 4 adjacent enemy targets for 50% of the damage done to the primary target
-Tiger Palm (mistweaver) will now deal 100% more damage, and will also restore 1% mana to the monk
-Jab (mistweaver) will now cost 12k mana (up from 11.6k)
-After every jabs or if spinning crane kick hits 3+, the next tiger palm or blackout kick will do 200% more damage
-Emenience healing from non auto attacks by the monk and the statues was reduce to 25% of the damage done (down from 50%)
-Serpent's zeal [auto attack fistweaving from blackout kick] will now heal 12.5% of the damage done per stack (down from 25%)
-Crackling jade lightning damage is increased by 100%

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Whenever one of the main retailers has a buy 2 get 1 free sale of all video games (as opposed to just one console type) the game time cards are frequently included in the offer. Outside of buying time from the provider in 12 month blocks (excluding those mmos that cut their monthly price) its the cheapest way to pay. Have to buy quickly though cause they normally go OOS fast.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
when is next patch cause the upgrade guys are going away... and valor gear is gonna be a bit cheaper. Need to plan ahead. This coming Tues. or next?

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
when is next patch cause the upgrade guys are going away... and valor gear is gonna be a bit cheaper. Need to plan ahead. This coming Tues. or next?
They usually give a 1 or 2 week advanced notice.

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
I think I remember seeing something that said late feb/early march for 5.2

I hope they make the spirit of harmony no longer BoP

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012

We have at least 4 weeks from 5.2 yet minimum.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Still looking to recruit a RAF partner on Horde side Bleeding Hollow. Here's what I'll provide:

Battle Chest Key, comes with a free month of gametime. Its good enough for all content up to level 80.
Four 22 slot bags.
Gold for Mounts when you need them.

I require someone who's going to be free pretty much the whole week and looking to hit level 80 fast. Send me a forum message if you're interested.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Gonna let my account lapse mid-February. Haven't logged in except to finish my last 28 slot bag for the last week or so. Going to hop on Sunday to turn in my tigers deck for my rogue, then I'm probably done for a while.

Seems like the raid I was in basically fell apart after I bailed on them, based on battle.net stuff, a few of them haven't logged in since the MSV they did without me. Feel kinda bad if it was my fault. Ahh well.

Haven't really had anything to do the last couple weeks anyway except LFR on alts....where I've gotten no useful drops in 17+ instances (2 full weeks on my priest, 1 full week + the 2 I've done this week on my warrior). Can't be bothered with dailies, and LFR is basically unbearable now. The non-bads are geared and have moved on, so it's getting pretty ugly.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Gonna let my account lapse mid-February. Haven't logged in except to finish my last 28 slot bag for the last week or so. Going to hop on Sunday to turn in my tigers deck for my rogue, then I'm probably done for a while.

Seems like the raid I was in basically fell apart after I bailed on them, based on battle.net stuff, a few of them haven't logged in since the MSV they did without me. Feel kinda bad if it was my fault. Ahh well.

Haven't really had anything to do the last couple weeks anyway except LFR on alts....where I've gotten no useful drops in 17+ instances (2 full weeks on my priest, 1 full week + the 2 I've done this week on my warrior). Can't be bothered with dailies, and LFR is basically unbearable now. The non-bads are geared and have moved on, so it's getting pretty ugly.

My LFR experience has not been bad. However... I had 1 5 man where the tank.... He was in 414 blues/greens with like 2 450+ blues. Those 2 blues had BC gems (7 parry). His total hp (with 15% random dungeon buff) was 420k. (I have 400k unbuffed as a leather healer). And he couldnt hold threat against water.

He was promptly kicked.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
When I started tanking on my warrior I had less than 400k health. Probably closer to 350k when I got into heroics.

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
With my main being a healer I know the pain of a bad tank. So when I started tanking on my DK I went out and spent some gold on some 450 gear to make it easier. I hate getting a tank that is full of greens and cries when you cant keep him up.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Supposedly the game is designed for that, if you wanted to faceroll the place that is another story.

BeauCharles

Dec 31, 2012
My LFR experience has not been bad. However... I had 1 5 man where the tank.... He was in 414 blues/greens with like 2 450+ blues. Those 2 blues had BC gems (7 parry). His total hp (with 15% random dungeon buff) was 420k. (I have 400k unbuffed as a leather healer). And he couldnt hold threat against water.

He was promptly kicked.

Being a new player (when you don't have a decked out main to feed you gold/items) is so much fun. Had a friend start the game for the first time with Cata and he dropped it after a couple months. Basically said the people he grouped with were jerks that had no interest in helping him learn (since they'd all been playing for years and the lowbie character with him in the instance was their 100th alt). I ran him through lots of instances to try to gear him, but he said that was about as fun as watching paint dry.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Being a new player (when you don't have a decked out main to feed you gold/items) is so much fun. Had a friend start the game for the first time with Cata and he dropped it after a couple months. Basically said the people he grouped with were jerks that had no interest in helping him learn (since they'd all been playing for years and the lowbie character with him in the instance was their 100th alt). I ran him through lots of instances to try to gear him, but he said that was about as fun as watching paint dry.

Yea. But the leveling from 1-90 is the learning. (or external sources) at 90 you need to have some idea what you are doing.

Personally I didn't care, I was overgeared by a mile and I could heal him through it. However the mage and ret paladin who were the ones who were always tanking each pull thought otherwise, because he couldn't get, or hold threat worth anything. Which is a tanks primary responsibility.

Add in that when I identified him curious why he was so bad, he showed a lack of understanding by using gems 3 expansions old, and the wrong gems at that. And you are right people can teach others, however in a random group when the other 4 are there to do what they do, teaching someone everything from scratch is a waste of their time.

His talent choices were also wonky, like he was still in the old talent trees (all right sided talents were used, which was not only some bad choices for a tank, but odd as rarly does any person use all 6 talents in the same column) [protection tree for warriors were on the right]

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
Yea. But the leveling from 1-90 is the learning. (or external sources) at 90 you need to have some idea what you are doing.

Personally I didn't care, I was overgeared by a mile and I could heal him through it. However the mage and ret paladin who were the ones who were always tanking each pull thought otherwise, because he couldn't get, or hold threat worth anything. Which is a tanks primary responsibility.

Add in that when I identified him curious why he was so bad, he showed a lack of understanding by using gems 3 expansions old, and the wrong gems at that. And you are right people can teach others, however in a random group when the other 4 are there to do what they do, teaching someone everything from scratch is a waste of their time.

His talent choices were also wonky, like he was still in the old talent trees (all right sided talents were used, which was not only some bad choices for a tank, but odd as rarly does any person use all 6 talents in the same column) [protection tree for warriors were on the right]

Word. I cant stand people who dont care to learn about the game. When I started playing in BC, I took time to learn my class and fights I did.

Same goes for when I started tanking. I have a blood DK so I asked around in my guild for some tips and then did some readying. There is so much info out there you just have to look for it.

As for the gear and mains. You can get plenty of gear from running regs up until 90. Gold comes by so easy this xpac that I am sure you could drop 2-3k on some 450 gear in the AH to help out.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Honestly, I'd rather see ungemmed gear than BC gems. Ungemmed is lazy (or perhaps it's a very recent drop), BC gems is stupid. The actually took the time to get some gems but decided anything worth the effort, wasn't.