AT World of Warcraft Thread (Mists, Where do you play, General BS and all that)

Page 55 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
I use MrRobot. The default weights tend to be pretty good but even if you use custom weights it's really easy to use and gives me good results.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
I do not use any online reforger myself, I just look at the values and can see what can change where to maximize my reforge. So I really cannot help there.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
I do not use any online reforger myself, I just look at the values and can see what can change where to maximize my reforge. So I really cannot help there.

I think it's a bit different for a healer (granted I think misteavers should be punching things). I could never calculate the best way to max Hit and Expertise without a reforging calculator. Without Hit and Expertise I agree it's pretty easy. I used to not bother with calculators back in Cata when tanks didn't cap hit and expertise.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
I think it's a bit different for a healer (granted I think misteavers should be punching things). I could never calculate the best way to max Hit and Expertise without a reforging calculator. Without Hit and Expertise I agree it's pretty easy. I used to not bother with calculators back in Cata when tanks didn't cap hit and expertise.

Well even then, as my offspec I went brewmaster a while back, and reforged/gemmed and enchanted myself to 7.46% hit and 14.97% expertise. Which is really close to what it should be, and any other reforged or regem/re-enchant would put me over either mark by more than a few hundreds of a %.

Plus most reforge tools do not work outta the box, you need to set values to each stat, so it can reforge correctly, which I believe in that time one could count out their stats and do that w/o a addon/site

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Reforgelite works out of the box for the most part, especially with regards to hit/expertise. You may have to adjust the prioroity of secondary stats for what it recommends for a spec but it always nails those two.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Reforgelite works out of the box for the most part, especially with regards to hit/expertise. You may have to adjust the prioroity of secondary stats for what it recommends for a spec but it always nails those two.

Even then, I would have to still set the secondary stat weights because as a brewmaster: Haste >>>>> Crit >> mastery > dodge/parry

So not a single piece would want to be reforged outta haste for hit/expertise.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
What I love about AMR is that it allows you to switch pieces of gear and upgrades pieces, so you can easily see what your future stats would look like.

tHa ShIzNiT

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2000
AMR is awesome. one of the few pages I will disable ad block on so I can support them in whatever small way I can.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Even then, I would have to still set the secondary stat weights because as a brewmaster: Haste >>>>> Crit >> mastery > dodge/parry

So not a single piece would want to be reforged outta haste for hit/expertise.
Assuming you have enough stat points to do that, it won't. If you don't, you can raise haste above hit/expertise.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Valor points not being reset in 5.2... start saving up

No real reason to save up.

VP gear will now require rep from the new raid (which you get in the raid and the new LFR)

New LFR will not be out till week 2 probably, if the past indicates any patterns. So unless you go almost all normal modes in week one, it will be at least minimum 2-3 weeks worth of rep to but stuff via VP vendor.

ArmyVet88

Feb 13, 2013
I just built this gaming rig i cannot wait to play WoW on it. I have been running off of my laptop for over a year on like 4-9 FPS. Its going to be like im playing a whole new game. Just waiting for the PSU to arrive

Case: Apevia X-Trooper LED Light Mid-Tower Case
CPU: AMD FX-4100 3.60 GHz (No OC yet stock fan)
MotherBoard: GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AMD 970
Memory: 8GB 2x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3/1600MHz
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Fans: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan Dual Standard 120MM Fans Push-Pull
MONITOR: 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 Sceptre E246W-1080P

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
No real reason to save up.

VP gear will now require rep from the new raid (which you get in the raid and the new LFR)

New LFR will not be out till week 2 probably, if the past indicates any patterns. So unless you go almost all normal modes in week one, it will be at least minimum 2-3 weeks worth of rep to but stuff via VP vendor.

Well you go spend your valor while I save up for my 522 neck on the first day :whiste:.

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
I plan on saving up the 3k so I can finish my DPS set on my priest. There isnt anything else I can buy for my holy set and since my dps set is falling behind, this will be an easy way to get some cheap gear.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Well you go spend your valor while I save up for my 522 neck on the first day :whiste:.

The neck piece isnt that big of a deal. However blizzard did say "Friendly will be on the first boss kill or so in a normal raid after that it slows down".

Which I bet my group gets at least 4-6 first week, so the goal is to save up now as friendly more good items come available.

Last night we killed Heroic spirit Kings after 30 whipes. What a fight... D:

Next week we are aiming for Heroic Will, and then trying to end 5.1 with 8/16H

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
And for all those that care, the next round of monk "updates" are again putting a hamper in their ability to heal well.

At this time I honestly see no good reason taking a monk to a 10 man over a shaman, druid, priest or paladin.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
I hope Arms DPS becomes viable in 5.2. They've been really messing with it to stop hugge burst so they can up it's PvE dps. I just don't like fury.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
anyone know how LFR loot works according to spec? If I queue as a healer but don't need any heal gear for a particular boss, can I change to dps spec and it may drop dps (agi) gear instead of heal (int) gear? Or will it only drop gear for whatever I queued for?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Patch 5.2 - Ra-den Limited to 30 Attempts Per Lockout
Ra-den is the new Heroic difficulty only boss in the Throne of Thunder raid. Someone found their way to his room on the PTR during testing today and spotted an attempts counter. You can find his loot table here.

Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

So much for surprises. Yes, that is currently the plan.

A few comments on our thinking. First off, I've seen some people quoting a 2010 WoW Dev Twitter chat where we said "Limited Attempts didn't really work out" as one of the WotLK retrospective points. That was true as they were generally utilized in that expansion. In the very same dev chat, we also said "If we do limited attempts again it would probably be limited to optional bosses like Algalon."

Well, guess which boss Ra-den is probably most like?

The actual Algalon approach (or really, if you want to be accurate, the Vaelastrasz v1.0 approach) is not one we're likely to repeat. It definitely adds quite a bit of tension, but a narrow time window ends up being more about frantic racing back to the zone, rebuffing, and rushing to pull again, since it's hard to justify time spent strategizing while the clock is ticking. But even worse, a lengthy disconnect or some sort of server issue can completely ruin the entire week's effort. Having your main tank suffer a power outage 10 minutes into your hour on Algalon was not a happy time.

Now, as for actual limited attempts, aside from using them a bit too widely in Lich King (including on Normal modes in Icecrown Citadel), they also largely failed to accomplish their objective of focusing guilds on quality, rather than quantity, of learning attempts and progression. As many people recall, the cutting-edge guilds that were progressing in ToGC or Heroic ICC would commonly learn mechanics, practice execution, and refine strategies on their lesser-geared alts (and/or on Normal mode), before stepping up to risk precious Heroic attempts. That clearly wasn't the intended experience, and just added a layer of nuisance to the whole affair.

In our entire history of using limited attempts, there was only one boss where I'd say they actually worked out fairly well: Heroic Lich King. The main reason for this was that you couldn't access Heroic Lich King at all unless you defeated Putricide, Sindragosa, and Lana'thel on Heroic difficulty as well. And during the first few weeks of Heroic progression, that was beyond the means of essentially all the alt raids out there. After all, the point of running split main/alt raids is to funnel gear to the mains to maximize their effectiveness for Heroic progression, right? So by definition the alts are less geared than the mains, and if the mains can just barely, barely beat something, the alt group is going to be in for a rough time.

As a result, I don't believe we ever saw a single true alt Heroic Lich King progression raid. Similarly, I don't think we're going to see alt raids on Ra-den. The number 30 is also large enough that while one accidental pull or disconnect is of course still going to sting, it isn't crippling.

I'd also really like to emphasize that Ra-den is a true bonus boss. Lei Shen is the final boss of Throne of Thunder, just as Yogg-Saron was the final boss of Ulduar. Lei Shen offers an epic challenge, and should feel like the pinnacle of the zone as a whole. Ra-den is your reward if you manage to beat the zone on its hardest difficulty -- he's a bonus level. And sometimes the rules are a bit different on those.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
anyone know how LFR loot works according to spec? If I queue as a healer but don't need any heal gear for a particular boss, can I change to dps spec and it may drop dps (agi) gear instead of heal (int) gear? Or will it only drop gear for whatever I queued for?

Yes, you can game the system by being in a different spec than the one you qued for.