AT CS Source Server is now RUNNING. Come join us!

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

etalns

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2001
Heaidn gback onto the server if anyone wants to join me.

And ya, that Deathstar guy was friggin' sick.

etalns

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2001
Now that the server has been up for a few days, I wanted to start getting some feedback from people.

What do you like, and what do you dislike?

I don't think the map rotation is something I'm willing ot change. Servers which offer just a single map 24/7 are typically able to get higher consistent populations. Not to mention, office is the best CS map! =)

I may make a private 10 person server for AT members where we can play a rotation, but I'm not positive yet.

coomar

Banned
Apr 4, 2005
i would prefer at least some rotation, office tends to drag on for a while when you have more people, its it 2 on 2 its good since its the smallest map, server is nice, i didn't see any lag

XNice

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2000
i'll be on also.... nice my nick is " x - <randomthought>"

edit: *sigh* too far for my philadelphian butt. I wanna see if we can ge a US based one.

XNice

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2000
tickrate of 100 seems to fix the hitbox problem/issue that anti-cs people crow about.

update2: was jus my internet connection: i got 90-110 ping which was good enough to go 32-17 before my ping went to crap again.

x - kinda bent

coomar

Banned
Apr 4, 2005
i'm in windsor and toronto, thats not that far from philadelphia, i was getting 100 ping while using bitlord

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Don't talk about horrible pings :p
1: Why hasn't dug777 been playing, that's mandatory.
2: 1 map only on the server is major turndown
3: assult still seems to be the ultimate camper map
4: Where's Italy? Also a fun not too large map.
5: on larger de_maps you can agree on only plant bomb at one of the sites, when only a few are playing, making them fun too.
6: votemap function is good to have
7: Great you run this server, and don't limit ping to <200 :D

liluqt

Jul 15, 2004
Are there any girls playing on there yet?

I have to install my source which has been sitting around for months and months.

Maybe I'll pop in ;)

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Played some last night. ping was aroudn 150-170ms... and tick rate rate for the server was 33? Needless to say it was pretty laggy and far from servers I normally play on.

Also I like Office and all but it gets old at much longer than 20 minutes IMO. I really like all the maps I wish there was a bit more rotation even if admins have the ability to change the map.

Also could FF be turned on? no FF is pretty weak.

When i played the server was pretty full so that was cool though. Any chance people would switch thier names to thier AT name while on the server? Its cool and all that the names are posted in here but most of the names are pretty hard to remember.

etalns

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2001
Originally posted by: JBT
Played some last night. ping was aroudn 150-170ms... and tick rate rate for the server was 33? Needless to say it was pretty laggy and far from servers I normally play on.

Also I like Office and all but it gets old at much longer than 20 minutes IMO. I really like all the maps I wish there was a bit more rotation even if admins have the ability to change the map.

When i played the server was pretty full so that was cool though. Any chance people would switch thier names to thier AT name while on the server? Its cool and all that the names are posted in here but most of the names are pretty hard to remember.

About the tickrate, yes, it is currently set at 33. I'll test it at 66 later, however, I'm not sure how that will run.

The server runs fine for everyone who is sub 100 ping, so I think your lag issues have to do with your location, as opposed to the server. I know there are a lot of West coast players who have found the server to be very good to play on. Upping the tick rate won't do a great deal for your lag, it may even worsen it.

With regards to the maps. If people can start throwing out suggestions we can start considering them, however, I'm still pretty inflexible about a map rotation. I'd be willing to give Hi and Kilrsat permission to start map votes if people want to play a different map, but we'll need to agree in advance on 4 or 5 maps which can be played. (The current map vote system is, unfortunately, rather inflexible. So I have to dictate the maps ahead of time for any map votes).

FF was on at first, but unfortunately since the last patch the FF punishment code has been broken. Having FF on with no FF code in place was causing a lot of problems with griefers. If the code is fixed we can reconsider putting it in, however, for now it will remain with FF off.

The one thing that everyone should consider is that when a server changes maps, you loose a great deal of your player base. Typically we lose about 40-50% of our players on each map change. The benefit of having a 24/7 server on one map is that then whenever someone wants to play aparticular map, they go to that server. This allows for the server to regularly fill up. If we're losing 50% of our players on every map change, it can take a while for rthe server to refill.

We can always consider having a small server for just ATers which had a map rotation, and leave the other server as 24/7 office? Any feedback on that idea?

etalns

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2001
Originally posted by: XNice
def fix the tic rate. hitboxes r bullcrap when as low as 33...

I'll try 66 tommorow morning when noone is on, server is pretty packed atm.

I doubt it'll be able to hold as many players though, at 66.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Qosis
Originally posted by: JBT

About the tickrate, yes, it is currently set at 33. I'll test it at 66 later, however, I'm not sure how that will run.

The server runs fine for everyone who is sub 100 ping, so I think your lag issues have to do with your location, as opposed to the server. I know there are a lot of West coast players who have found the server to be very good to play on. Upping the tick rate won't do a great deal for your lag, it may even worsen it.

With regards to the maps. If people can start throwing out suggestions we can start considering them, however, I'm still pretty inflexible about a map rotation. I'd be willing to give Hi and Kilrsat permission to start map votes if people want to play a different map, but we'll need to agree in advance on 4 or 5 maps which can be played. (The current map vote system is, unfortunately, rather inflexible. So I have to dictate the maps ahead of time for any map votes).

FF was on at first, but unfortunately since the last patch the FF punishment code has been broken. Having FF on with no FF code in place was causing a lot of problems with griefers. If the code is fixed we can reconsider putting it in, however, for now it will remain with FF off.

The one thing that everyone should consider is that when a server changes maps, you loose a great deal of your player base. Typically we lose about 40-50% of our players on each map change. The benefit of having a 24/7 server on one map is that then whenever someone wants to play aparticular map, they go to that server. This allows for the server to regularly fill up. If we're losing 50% of our players on every map change, it can take a while for rthe server to refill.

We can always consider having a small server for just ATers which had a map rotation, and leave the other server as 24/7 office? Any feedback on that idea?

I'm sure most of my lag problems come from being here in Vermont which is no where near the west coast.

As for the 50% loss in players per map change. I'd say that depends on what type of players are ussually there. Some people only play maps they are good at others just don't like some maps and then there are those who will play anything anytime. My self I play what ever map is playing. I could care less. Sure there are some favorites but I like a bit of variety in my gaming or it gets boring...

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I would turn up more often with different maps. It's also a nice way to reshuffle the teams. It's fine with a few maps but the same over and over agian is just not my way of enjoying CS.

And yet again: What ^ said.

Kilrsat

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2001
I like variety. Italy is cool, as long as its a fairly short time. Spend too long on that map and soon everyone has an AWP and its a major bore. Prodigy is nice for small-to-mid sized groups.

Basically any map that doesn't descend into an awp-whorefest in 5 minutes is cool with me.

One more vote for FF when its working too.