Question [AT] AMD extends GloFo WSA to 2025

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
The x86 CPU is accompanied by a Radeon GPU. Tesla tooted the "it's like PS5" horn, I guess delivering both the CPU and GPU "as seen in popular gaming consoles" is now a competitive advantage AMD offers.
Cars are just gaming consoles on wheels. Especially, when they are suppose to drive themselves, and charge themselves, eventually.

GlobalFoundries lack of compute density means that eyeballing it, generally the car's gaming console component will be down reviewed. >40,000 USD for something that is worse than XSX, XSS, PS5 isn't going to fly.

Which is why it is only going to be a pipe cleaner, switch over from whatever to Ryzen. Then, use the chips releasing this year at TSMC 6nm for 2023 models.

Last edited:

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
I had my wife tell me, that Ford has said this chip shortage has cost them Billions in sales lost, and has changed the way they will do business forever.
We both used to work for Ford.

EDIT: I had been looking at a Bronco Sport from a dealer, that had 6k miles on it for 38.5k, 38 something. When viewing the window sticker from that vehicle, it's lot price new was 30.5k. They had an essentially "demo' vehicle, marked up 8k.

Joe NYC

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2021
Could be. Really depends on the manufacturer. The biggest companies make around 10 million automobiles per year. However, once you move out of the top 10, it's down to around a quarter of that amount so there's a lot of variability.

Tesla just announced shipment of 300k vehicles this quarter, so that would be the optimistic range for any new car manufacturer, since not all models would switch immediately to new in car entertainment.

ryanjagtap

Sep 25, 2021
Well they are ramping down 14nm/12nm usage on the consumer platform.
The only products that they will be using the 12nm wafers are: Ryzen zen3 lineup with the exception of cezanne dies (5700G, 5600G, 5500)
Products using 14nm are: Embedded EPYC, zen2/zen3 EPYC, zen2/zen3 Threadripper Pro, zen2 Threadripper, X570 chipset die, Ryzen zen2 lineup.
New budget oriented AMD lineup is 7nm monolithic using renoir/cezanne dies: Ryzen 5700G, 5600G, 5500, 4600G, 4500, 4100.
Upcoming zen4 is rumored to have 6nm I/O die.

With all this, my question was: With the exception of Embedded EPYC, EPYC and probably motherboard chipsets, where will the GloFo wafers be utilized? is zen 4 EPYC die 14nm/12nm?

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Well they are ramping down 14nm/12nm usage on the consumer platform.
The only products that they will be using the 12nm wafers are: Ryzen zen3 lineup with the exception of cezanne dies (5700G, 5600G, 5500)
Products using 14nm are: Embedded EPYC, zen2/zen3 EPYC, zen2/zen3 Threadripper Pro, zen2 Threadripper, X570 chipset die, Ryzen zen2 lineup.
New budget oriented AMD lineup is 7nm monolithic using renoir/cezanne dies: Ryzen 5700G, 5600G, 5500, 4600G, 4500, 4100.
Upcoming zen4 is rumored to have 6nm I/O die.

With all this, my question was: With the exception of Embedded EPYC, EPYC and probably motherboard chipsets, where will the GloFo wafers be utilized? is zen 4 EPYC die 14nm/12nm?
Zen4 is 5nm for CCD and 6nm for IOD.

On GlobalFoundries:
GlobalFoundries is shifting its technology being portable with other fabs to only being able to be exclusively fabbed at GloFo.

GlobalFoundries is ramping down 14nm/12nm FinFETs at Malta for:
90nm Fotonix/PDSOI/(FDSOI extentsion in the works), which products go mass production phase at earliest by end of 2023 at Malta.
45nm Fotonix/FDSOI/PDSOI, this set goes mass production phase at earliest by end of 2022 at Malta.

July 2021+ has had 22FDX being validated at Malta and tested against Dresden test-vehicles. Singapore is also apparently targeting 22FDX production. So, three fab production for 22FDX will be announced soon-ish.

On AMD:
If GloFo does kill 14LPP/12LP/12LP+ like they killed 28A in June-July 2020. Basically, AMD has a couple contingencies:
6nm cIOD and sIOD can likely be ported to AM4/SP3 platforms.
SP4 is killed regardless, for support of AM4 Ryzen Server OPNs: 100-000000022A through 100-000000073A.
etc.

AMD is most likely going to split GF and TSMC on Budget and Premium.
TSMC-AMD products will be above-$80 and GF-AMD products will be below-$80.

Given GlobalFoundries 22FDX focus, I believe that AMD will be pushing out these products on 22FDX after Jaguar at TSMC's 28nm enters End-of-Life(June-July 2023):
Geode-tier discrete CPU, GPU, FPGA
Geode-tier combination APU
and any-tier semi-custom APU, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: ryanjagtap

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I was thinking with relation to the WSA between AMD and GloFo extended to 2025........ Or are you trying to say in Xilinx products?

Unless Xilinx is already a customer of GF, I doubt they'll start picking up their wafers. No, I'm saying: AMD will yield wafers to other companies entirely. There's plenty of demand still, and GF is no stranger to automotive. Or so I am told.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
AMD will yield wafers to other companies entirely. There's plenty of demand still, and GF is no stranger to automotive. Or so I am told.
The AMD/GlobalFoundries WSA has specific requirements but May 2021 and December 2021 have different aspects.

May 2021:
- Got rid of exclusivity with GlobalFoundries 14nm/12nm specfically, and every other node.
- Lower 14nm/12nm prices for more wafers fabbed at GlobalFoundries.
14nm-16nm.png
14nm-16nm2.png

GF's AMD 14LPP/12LP-derivied products most likely have a mirrored TSMC 16FF/12FF-derivied product.
"The A&R Seventh Amendment also removes all prior exclusivity commitments and provides AMD with full flexibility to contract with any wafer foundry with respect to all products manufactured at any technology node"

In this case, AMD can just port (or revive) anything on 14LPP and 12LP RTO to its related equivalent on 16FF and 12FF RTO, etc. Or, they can drop a NTO with extended Spectre-fixes.

December 2021:
- GlobalFoundries has to guarantee annual capacity of 2022/2023/2024/2025. GlobalFoundries pre-order of nodes is only for 2022/2023, 2024/2025 node commitments aren't provided.

GlobalFoundries says the WSA is for:
- Datacenter
- Personal Computing
- Embedded
- Emerging Markets

The WSA December 2021 specifically modifies prior agreement definitions for these specifically:
- “MPU Products” shall mean any of the following: (i) the x86, x86-64, and IA (Intel Architecture)-64 families of microprocessors, (ii) any existing or new microprocessors based on the x86, x86-64, and IA-64 family architecture, or any new instruction set for a processor described in clause (i) first introduced by AMD, (iii) any microprocessors based on new architecture or an architecture adopted in the future, or (iv) Fusion Products. As used in this definition, a microprocessor shall include a component that can execute computer programs and is the central processing unit controlling an electronic device.
- “GPU Product” shall mean an integrated or discrete graphics processing unit. As an example, as of the Effective Date, GPU Products consist of integrated or discrete graphics processing unit for use in any of the following or similar products: desktop computers, notebook computers, servers, workstations or game consoles.
- Chipset Products” shall mean one or more integrated circuits marketed and sold by AMD as a separate product, and that are designed to mediate the flow of data between the central processing unit and peripheral devices utilizing a PCI, PCIe, universal serial bus (USB), Serial ATA (SATA), low pin count (LPC), Integrated Drive Electronics (IDE), Azalia HD Audio (AZ), Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI), Secure Digital Input Output (SDIO) or similar bus.

GlobalFoundries can't kill off 14LPP/12LP for AMD. Until AMD second-sources a replacement;14nm to 6nm recommendation, or a substitution; 14nm to 16nm substitution.

GF28A death killed off products set for end-of-life between 2024 through 2028. AMD will most likely forewarn end of production and end-of-life of 14nm/12nm far ahead of GF28A's end-of-supply 2020 announcement.

Given the WSA periods it setups a switch from the existing product line (14nm/12nm) to a new product line.

New product line:
New CPU
New GPU
New APU
New Chipset

The next WSA will most likely include Xillinx's products, since the merger was only complete in 2022 and the last WSA was 2021.

----
In Short,
- GlobalFoundries must reserve capacity for AMD's node commitments.
1. Specifically 14nm/12nm for 2022/2023 pre-ordered periods.
2. Specifically whatever new node for the new product line for 2024/2025 when those pre-order lumps roll up.

- AMD/GF have changed definitions for MPU/GPU/Chipset products and related production definition.
Ex: "GPU Products" from the first wafer supply agreement:
AMD commits to, and the parties agree to work together, to establish FoundryCo’s ability to manufacture GPU Products via a high volume bulk 32 nm process with Specifications to be agreed upon in advance by the parties in writing.
----

Addition with GlobalFoundries words on the WSA it also combines MPU&Embedded from 1st WSA into a new MPU agreement;
“Embedded Products” shall mean x86-based semiconductor devices or any other device based on new architecture or architecture adopted in the future, in each case, other than MPU Products that are used in systems that have targeted applications, and which are not designed for use as central processing units for general purpose desktop, notebook, workstation, server computers or game consoles. Embedded Products shall include AMD’s Geode™ product lines.

Other than AMD:
I doubt anyone is using 14LPP/12LP/12LP+ with exclusivity. Everything will be 14LPP so it can be produced at Samsung. Or, with aggressive price reduction when used with TSMC.

AI/Automotive at GloFo is largely mature nodes, and not FinFET.
3D-IC for Fin has died off, with huge momentum to get 3D-IC ready for 22FDX/12FDX.

With that I am pretty sure 12FDX will go risk at Malta first for 14nm/12nm transfers(mangled retapeouts) to 12FDX. Biggest one being 14nm Networking Pro WiFi 6/6E to 12nm Networking Pro 6E/7.

Last edited:

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Given GlobalFoundries 22FDX focus, I believe that AMD will be pushing out these products on 22FDX after Jaguar at TSMC's 28nm enters End-of-Life(June-July 2023):
Geode-tier discrete CPU, GPU, FPGA
Geode-tier combination APU
and any-tier semi-custom APU, etc.

AMD would literally be better off paying to get out of the WSA than doing that. Launching a 22nm product in 2023 would be a complete waste of R&D resources.

Reactions: Mopetar

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
AMD would literally be better off paying to get out of the WSA than doing that. Launching a 22nm product in 2023 would be a complete waste of R&D resources.
Launching a 22-nm product is completely fine... so long as it is competitive against other 22nm products. PowerPI/RiscVPi/ARMPi projects in the low-cost sub-$100 are all 22nm so far.

With the requirement of fastest time to market there is only two options given nodes launched after 2016 at GloFo.
22FDX++: This node has the benefit of having the lowest design cost and lowest production cost before anti-gravity kicks in.
- New CPU Architecture
- New GPU Architecture
- New SoC Fabric

Relative to previous G-series family Prairie Falcon while none of the designs are from 14nm, etc. Will be replaced once full-range bi-directional ABB on 12FDX is complete. Ultra-low-power and Ultra-low-cost with defeating not-made-here Import & Customs Tax/Tariffs focus.

or

12FDX: It only costs less than 14LPP/12LP/12LP+.
- Family 16h 90h-9Fh *12nm Cat core/Jaguar refresh/Margay(Jag-28-> Leo-20 -> Mar-14) revived*
- Vega refresh *12nm Vega refresh*
- Infinity Fabric *12nm refresh*
Basically, Llano-insert before new architectures which pops up after bi-directional ABB on 12FDX is complete. ULP and ULC is achieved by having a smaller die and smaller FEOL transistor.

Instant 12FDX pops up it needs to pop-up within a year or so, like this:
14LPP - Volume Ramp - 2Q|3Q 2015
14LPP - PS4 Pro - 4Q 2016 -- November 10, 2016

This path is the only real way to get 8-cores + 4-CUs + 64-bit DDR5/LPDDR5:
It's Alder Lake-N with lower IPC and lower cost.
It has more cores/+1 CU than Dali/Pollock.

28nm 9T = 12.8 mm2 for 4 cores
14nm 9T = 7.2 mm2 for 4 cores
12FDX 7.5T/6T = potentially less.

New stuff we never saw on roadmaps first = 22FDX
Old stuff we only saw on roadmaps first = 12FDX

12FDX has a lot of benefits:
- 12nm Technology Node (is already included in the vague language of the WSA)
- 12FDX from the start allows for a cyclic-style. 12FDX -> 12FDX w/ ABB -> 12FDX+, etc.
- Opteron X from the get-go rather than Opteron 22FDX which would be exclusively CPU. ==> Datacenter
- Sempron for consumers immediately succeeds prior Sempron 3850. ==> Personal Computing
- G-series skips dual-core and quad-core relaunch and enters the octo-core era. ==> Embedded and Emerging Markets
Which can immediately compete against 8nm products: https://www.sztomato.com/products/5G-Network-AIoT-Android-8K-UHD-TV-Box-with-WiFi-6-Router.html
"a low-cost processor must cover multiple markets to be successful."

Most recently changed with 12FDX::
2010 - Present -> New York => Technology development manager, specializing in design-process interactions and PDK Si validation.
22FDX and 12FDX technology enablement.
Jun 2016 - Present -> Malta, NY => Fab8 Device Director (14LPP/12LP/12LP+/12FDX/45RF)
May 2019 - Present -> Malta => Manage and lead the 12FDX team for most advanced FDSOI technology development.
Mar 2020 - Present -> Malta, NY => new product introductions for 12FDX technologies on Keysight 4082 and P9000 platforms.
Jan 2021 - Present -> Malta, NY/USA => 12FDX integration
Jun 2021 - Present -> Vermont => ESD/Latchup development lead for 12LP, 12FDX, 22FDX, and 28SLPe

12FDX "Production" within early 2023 to late 2024.
- Early 12FDX 1.0 PDK was set for April 2019 and customer production by December 2019.
0.jpg

Went from ~90% done to ~60% done ... "We are about 60 percent done. We are optimizing the process." - September 2020

If it is 12FDX hopefully we aren't getting the above with Lg=20nm but rather the one from SOITEC/Leti's roadmap with Lg=15nm.

Last edited:

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
AMD would literally be better off paying to get out of the WSA than doing that.
Considering AMD by all accounts voluntarily prolonged the WSA it's likely more of advantage to AMD by now, not GloFo. Not sure what products the pledged money goes into, but AMD obviously considers it worth the money.

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
AMD likely has volume commitments at the low end for things like Chrome Books and very low end laptops in Asia. Extending the WSA gives AMD more ability to meet those agreements and to continue to develop that market.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
AMD likely has volume commitments at the low end for things like Chrome Books and very low end laptops in Asia. Extending the WSA gives AMD more ability to meet those agreements and to continue to develop that market.
I'm sure Rome, Milan, and Threadripper Pro volume commitments are valued above Chromebooks.
None of these have growth at GloFo they aren't new thus as time goes on order volume goes down not up.
- Ryzen/Athlon => 2-year length before orders dry up.
- Ryzen/EPYC => 3-year length
- Embedded => If successful goes >10-years. Only 10 year product of 2010+ so far are Geode, Bobcat, and Jaguar at TSMC.

The only current commitments are products that are easily portable by AMD or already have a next-node replacement.

Raven/Picasso => Mendocino or Renoir/Lucienne/Cezanne/Barcelo/Rembrandt
Raven2/Dali/Pollock => Mendocino
14nm/12nm cIOD => 6nm cIOD for Matisse/Vermeer
14nm/12nm sIOD => 6nm sIOD for Rome/Milan
The last holdouts are cIOD/sIOD/Raven2 since the replacements haven't been released, everything else has an existing replacement.

1. AMD is pretty safe if GlobalFoundries cuts off FinFETs supply as they did for 28A in 2020~2021. This basically killed off any potential of GlobalFoundries keeping a 10-year commitment up. With that the trust between AMD and GlobalFoundries has to be re-established.

2. GlobalFoundries wants a commitment that can only be second-sourced within GlobalFoundries. While, also making it a hard call to switch the new product line away from GlobalFoundries. GF14LPP/GF12LP/GF12LP+ are all worse than their competitor's node-equivalent so it isn't a hard call to jump ship. The only reason they haven't is there is no other product to fit the purchase agreements.

The WSA's new fluidity and GloFo's new focus basically forces AMD towards 22FDX which is out now or 12FDX which is not out now.

GlobalFoundries WSA to 2025 is specfically aimed at remaking a full stack at GloFo:
- Datacenter
- Personal Computing
- Embedded
- Emerging Markets

With changes occurring to the WSA by Dec21Agreement of these parts MPU/GPU/Chipset specifically. With May 2021/December 2021 both hinting at a major change by 2023. So, AMD is definitely jumping ship of GloFo within Ryzen/EPYC before 2024.

Last edited:

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Alright, I've been convinced Monet (at least a Zen 3 small die) isn't a thing.

What replaces Dali then? Any speculation on this?
Dali is replaced by Mendocino:
mendocino.png

mendocino2.png

Rumored specs point towards Consumer Van Gogh or lower:
6nm, 4-core Zen2, 8-compute unit RDNA2, 128-bit LPDDR5(4x32), FT6 socket

Mendocino APU(TSMC6FF) vs Monet APU (GF12LP+) => Direct Competition with each other.
The day I see AMD use anything FDX I will owe you an apology.
At this point, you don't...

AMD only has three nodes to pick from:
22FDX -> 22FDX+
12LP+
12FDX

22FDX => lowest design cost + lowest production cost + lowest density
12LP+ => highest design cost + highest production cost + middle density
12FDX => middle design cost + middle production cost + highest density

------
AMD's Zen has moved on to 7nm and below. So, Zen(x) returning to AMD would only be for very small core counts: ~2-cores.

However, these nodes are still within the range of the low-cost/low-power cores since they were never ported down from 28nm.
If 12FDX => Old Family 16h cores, but are models we never saw before. (Margay+Vega+Infinity Fabric)
If 22FDX => New Family cores. (New CPU, New GPU, New Fabric), this would be the second product for 12FDX.
If 12LP+ => GlobalFoundries will kick AMD out when #1 in wafer volume and #1 in revenue moves from 14LPP to 12FDX.

22FDX++/12FDX with SiGe PFET and Tensile Si NFET is probably what AMD is waiting for...
28HP -> 28HPP -> 28SHP(AMD 1st Kaveri) -> 28A(AMD 1st Bhavani), AMD at GlobalFoundries given 28nm waits for the highest performing implementation. There is also a case for multi-fab within GlobalFoundries. A node isn't successful at GloFo unless it is run across multiple modules+fabs.

Which is why I focus on 22FDX, but they could always do a 32nm and aggressively push a 12FDX product out. Since, it uses the same transistors as 22FDX at higher density.
12FDX:
Opteron X successor => Datacenter -> Return to dense computing (Ex: Turing Pi (1/2), SeaMicro-esque, OmniCluster SlotServer1000, etc)
Sempron successor => Personal computing -> $36 and below. (28BLK in 2014 to 12FDX in 2024 is more than a half-price drop, same ASP -> higher profits)
G-series successor => Embedded and other emerging markets -> G1000 series under R1000*ded*/R3000*Mendocino* series

- One die favors 12FDX (No seperation of CPU and APU), also all CPUs with Raphael and after have integrated GFX with cIOD3.
- 22FDX/12FDX having lower cost than 28nm/14nm allows for Import&Custom busting: $36 APU + $36(1st tax/tariff) + $36(2nd tax/tariff) + $36(etc^x-2). => More recent laws implemented 2018+. Example with Cezanne: $350 APU + $700 Tariff => $1050 APU in Latin America.

GlobalFoundries also sort of dropped the lead times:
30,000 wafer per month for 14LPP/12LP/12LP+, if it all swapped over to 12FDX, it would be close to 60,000 wafer per month.
14LPP/12LP/12LP+ only at Malta -> AMD's WSA probably be moved to bidding for volume of wafers.
12FDX only at Dresden and Malta -> Revival/successor of 28nm two foundries, AMD probably won't need to bid for capacity. Capacity bid is to get a profit from a money loss at GlobalFoundries: Fotonix/FDX has a profit at GF, while Fins are run at a loss.

On 12FDX there is Ocean12 which had a duration of 45 months: 4th Month of 2018 plus 45 months is 1st Month of 2022. Which has been extended a bit:
12fdx1.png

12FDX 2018~2019 Gen1 Wafers:
- 7nm Performance/Power (Only 2018 Leti-involved performance boosters in 12FDX PDK, future saved for 12FDX+)
- Low volume and high variation from SOITEC
Screenshot 2022-03-22 at 02-10-08 IPSOC-2017_Teepe-FINAL_p.pdf.png - 2017

12FDX 2023-2024 Gen2 Wafers:
- 5nm Performance/Power (2018-2023 Leti-involved performance boosters in 12FDX PDK)
- Higher volume and lower variation from SOITEC

----
Why low-cost/low-power focus at GlobalFoundries:
Value/Mainstream/Performance "High Performance aka Zen" = ~60% of production
Budget "Low Power aka FDX cores" = ~40% of production

If GlobalFoundries 12LP+ is used with Monet, it would be competing in the smallest section with Mendocino. Of the 60% going to Zen in this case, only 20% of Zen is going towards Value. Where if AMD restarted low-power/low-cost it would take 100% of Budget.

TSMC gets 100% of AMD's focus with high performance and GlobalFoundries gets 100% of AMD's focus with low power, etc.

22FDX competition; 2c/4c+weak GPU -> Same cores for 2c/4c:: Cortex A72-ARM and RISC-V
12FDX competition; 8c+medium weak GPU to no GPU -> ARM is big.Little 2xA76+6xA55 or custom 8x(FTC663), RISC-V is 8x A75, 8x x86-64 is not much better than Isaiah II or non-existent.

If just a straight Jaguar to 12FDX to get a product out with GlobalFoundries once it goes in production:
Phytium D2000 => 132.08 mm2(Given by Phytium)

Zhaoxin ZXE => 144.71 mm2(Pixel measurement)

Succeeds Pollock (6W-64-bit) => 149 mm2:

It is safe bet for me to guess (8 core + 4 compute + 64-bit DDR5) will be around ~107 mm2.
I wouldn't suggest completely static IPC, since Llano increased Retire/Reservation/MemoryQ/etc. Not much is known about the 2016-2018, 2020+ ULP CPU/GPU/Fabric/Cache. Which can be like Bobcat<->Jaguar, where it is more portable in regards to time to market.

Also have to deal with speed from Automated-ML PNR with improvements from...
Bobcat:
"Except for a few custom memory arrays, the core is fully synthesized, so it can be ported quickly and efficiently to different process technologies."
Jaguar:
"JG is designed with area as a priority. Standard place and route tools are used to construct the core as a single block with 1.25M placed instances."
"To further improve the design efficiency over previous cores, JG uses only 2 unique memory modules, a RAM and a ROM. The BT core had 7 unique macros. Reducing the number of custom macros reduced timing closure iterations, resources needed to design the macros, and enabled easier process porting."

Just so everyone knows for 28nm FDSOI, STMicroelectronics High Perf A9:
"This paper presents the implementation details and silicon results of a 3 GHz dual-core ARM CortexTM-A9 (A9) manufactured in the 28 nm planar Ultra-Thin Box and Body Fully-Depleted CMOS (UTBB FD-SOI) technology. The implementation is based on a fully synthesizable standard design flow."

EU-12FDX covers prior-28A production facility and US-12FDX covers prior-14LPP/12LP production facility. 22FDX covers older 90-nm Chartered production facilities unless Singapore's new modules include 12FDX through 22FDX support. Which is another bullet point for both 22FDX/12FDX and not 12LP+.

Shortened:
22FDX Need-list:
2c or 4c at ~A72 IPC
3 CU with improvements over 28nm 2CU/3CU.
DDR4-3200 to DDR5-4800

12FDX Need-list:
8c at ~A75 IPC
4 CU with improvements over 14nm 3CU.
DDR5-4800 to DDR5-6400

Can't be done at just Malta thus 12LP+ is dead on arrival.

Off-topic:
22FDX Wafer => 12nm tSOI
Next-Gen FD Wafer => Down to 5nm tSOI
FDNGpro.png

22FDX has range of 8nm SOI(2/3rds of tSOI) to 6nm SOI(1/2th of tSOI)
Does that mean 12FDX has a range of 3.33 nm SOI(2/3rds of tSOI) to 2.5 nm SOI(1/2th of tSOI)

Just need secondary help on how big range of DIBL/SS/Mobility improvements are for 12FDX over 22FDX.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Grazick

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
I had my wife tell me, that Ford has said this chip shortage has cost them Billions in sales lost, and has changed the way they will do business forever.
We both used to work for Ford.

EDIT: I had been looking at a Bronco Sport from a dealer, that had 6k miles on it for 38.5k, 38 something. When viewing the window sticker from that vehicle, it's lot price new was 30.5k. They had an essentially "demo' vehicle, marked up 8k.

Lean manufacturing has its downsides.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
You would think that a Multi Billion Dollar Corporation with it's R&D would know better than a Single Customer right?
Yeah, they kind of launched Bulldozer... a clustered microarchitecture, without the ability to use all clusters for a single thread. With the clustered architecture project spanning from 1998 to 2012.

Over time trying to get the PRFs closer together:
pdtosr.jpg

Post-XV would most likely have been close to this with new clustered-distributed register files:
srshiftotunnelborer.jpg
to reduce +3 cycle latency from cluster 0 to cluster 3 to +1 cycle latency from monolithic-cluster0 to monolithic-cluster1.

At this point, they will launch Monet just to mess with me;
"Bristol Ridge" ~250 mm2 => "Dali" ~150 mm2
is equivalent to
"Monet" ~250 mm2 => "Mendocino" ~160 mm2

Last edited:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
You would think that a Multi Billion Dollar Corporation with it's R&D would know better than a Single Customer right?

$500M for a single year is a lot of wafers assuming 12LP+ is cheap (compared to TSMC). You figure demand for the existing Zen 3 products will be gone by 2025. Chromebooks would make sense but you figure Dali and Picasso won't cut it then. So that's where the discrepancy is.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
$500M for a single year is a lot of wafers assuming 12LP+ is cheap (compared to TSMC). You figure demand for the existing Zen 3 products will be gone by 2025. Chromebooks would make sense but you figure Dali and Picasso won't cut it then. So that's where the discrepancy is.
Intel stretched Skylake based processors for like 6 years, who is going to complain about Zen3 type of performance by 2025? I mean some people are still rocking very capable 6 core Sandy Bridge processor for other duties.. Zen3 Performance will be just fine in 2025

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Intel stretched Skylake based processors for like 6 years, who is going to complain about Zen3 type of performance by 2025? I mean some people are still rocking very capable 6 core Sandy Bridge processor for other duties.. Zen3 Performance will be just fine in 2025

If it was cheap, yeah. That's the problem. N7 doesn't look like it's going to be cheap any time soon.

Reactions: scineram