Review Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 Review: AMD Ryzen 9 4900HS Tested

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

csbin

Feb 4, 2013

On the Shadow of the Tomb Raider benchmark (highest, 1920 x 1080), the Zephyrus ran at 49 fps, tying it with both the Acer Predator Triton 500 (i7-8750H, RTX 2060) and Dell G7 15 (i7-9750H, RTX 2060).

Asus’ laptop ran Hitman (ultra, 1920 x 1080) at 89 fps, two frames ahead of the Predator and one frame ahead of the Dell.

The Zephyrus outperformed on Grand Theft Auto V’s benchmark (very high, 1920 x 1080) at 115 fps, losing by two frames to the Dell but easily beating the Predator with 87 fps.

We also ran our gaming stress test, in which we ran Metro Exodus 15 times on a loop to simulate half an hour of gaming. In this case, we ran the game at the ultra preset at 1080p. The game ran at an average of 40.5 fps, and with RTX on it dropped to 37.8 fps. The average CPU clock speed was 3.1 GHz, and it had an average temperature of 78.4 degrees Celsius (173.1 degrees Fahrenheit). The GPU ran at an average of 425.1 MHz and a temperature of 64.8 degrees Celsius (148.6 degrees Fahrenheit).

pnYUIDFMoEKSgBH.png

HOjb3NPAuiLXrkt.png

Oz5wAilKQET6Fxj.png

It’s truly incredible how long the Zephyrus lasted on our battery test. Generally, only the best ultraportables last between eight and 10 hours on our test, which continuously browses the web, streams video and runs OpenGL tests, all while connected to Wi-Fi with the display at 150 nits brightness.

The Zephyrus endured for 11 hours and 32 minutes. That’s incredible for a gaming notebook and even for some ultrabooks. The premium gaming average is just under 4 hours. This means the Zephyrus is suitable to use as your everyday system in addition to being your gaming machine.

For comparison, the Acer Predator Triton 500, with an i7-8750H and RTX 2060, ran for 4:24 and the Dell G7 15, with an i7-9750H and RTX 2060, died after 3:12. The Razer Blade Stealth 13, with a 25W Ice Lake processor ( i7-1065G7) lasted 8:53. The Dell XPS 13, with a 6-core/12-thread i7-10710U Comet Lake CPU ran for 7:56, albeit with a more taxing 4K display.

And while it’s not quite the best comparison, the MSI Alpha 15, a budget all-AMD gaming laptop with an AMD Ryzen 7 3750H and a Radeon RX 5500M graphics lasted only 3:53.

oZBe6xafzRNPyku.png

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Please don't tell me anyone thought CML-H was going to be any different to this?

It's more 14nm, a node they've already pushed to the very limit. To be honest, getting another +100mhz year on year was already impressive, getting any more than that was simply not happening.

CML-H is a housefire, and we all knew and saw it coming.

(Note: I'm not including TVB, but just TB2.0 rated frequencies)
Just you wait for Ryan Shrout's Real World Benchmarks™ slides pulling a Jen/Hsun Huang showing CML-H 10x Renoir.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
I'm still bummed that there have been no announcement of any models from OEMs with the Nvidia Super GPUs coupled with Renoir. I think they're going to remain Intel-exclusive with these GPUs for a while, which sucks because it means that AMD will once again get the second-class treatment from OEMs this time.

Reactions: spursindonesia

wanderica

Oct 2, 2005
I'm still bummed that there have been no announcement of any models from OEMs with the Nvidia Super GPUs coupled with Renoir. I think they're going to remain Intel-exclusive with these GPUs for a while, which sucks because it means that AMD will once again get the second-class treatment from OEMs this time.

I find that a little sad too. I wonder what kind of contracts nVidia has with Intel regarding their mobile GPUs. It might have even made perfect sense at the time. We knew zen 2 in mobile was going to be great, but I never expected it to be this good. Even with the best mobile processors on the market, though, there's just no way AMD laptops can out bench a 2080 with a 2060. Maybe the upcoming Supers won't be exclusive?

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
The exclusivity is due to the Advaned Optimus Tech which I'm pretty sure will be implemented soon on Renoir (unless AMD itself blocks it to remain "smartshift exclusive" which would be dumb IMO). At least Nvidia says "near future":
Another significant upgrade is NVIDIA's Advanced Optimus technology, essentially a controller that chooses either the GPU or integrated graphics for a given app. Before, the GPU wasn't directly connected to the display and had to drop frames onto the integrated graphics framebuffer. Now, it can drive the built-in display directly, improving latency and allowing G-Sync to work at up to 4K 120 Hz. The GPU is also now directly connected to the DisplayPort on your laptop so you'll see improved performance when using VR or an external monitor.

Since all of this new tech is hardware dependent, it will only work on the latest RTX and GTX laptops and not your pre-2020 RTX 2080 Max-Q model, for instance. And for now, it will only work on Intel-powered laptops, but NVIDIA did tell Engadget that it would come to AMD models "in the near future."
EDIT:
This is Anandtechs take on it:

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
I'm still bummed that there have been no announcement of any models from OEMs with the Nvidia Super GPUs coupled with Renoir.

This could be one such GPU. No clue.

EDIT: Actually, I doubt it. But at the same time, I doubt it's an AMD GPU, so I don't really know what this could be.

Last edited:
Reactions: csbin

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Maybe the sarcasm didn't punch through: it replaces desktops in terms of power usage.
No, I don't care what you intended to say, I decide what's what around here. :laughing::tearsofjoy:

So I decide to say I'm sorry I didn't get that even though I should have, since you rarely post things I don't agree with :)

• Haha
Reactions: DisEnchantment

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
I find that a little sad too. I wonder what kind of contracts nVidia has with Intel regarding their mobile GPUs. It might have even made perfect sense at the time. We knew zen 2 in mobile was going to be great, but I never expected it to be this good. Even with the best mobile processors on the market, though, there's just no way AMD laptops can out bench a 2080 with a 2060. Maybe the upcoming Supers won't be exclusive?
There's also no way they would be even remotely in the same price category. Let's wait and see :)

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
Someone explain to me why so many of these reviews were a 35 watt part against 90 watt. Why stop there compare the 4900H to a 384 core server since apples to apples went out the window.

Oh so its not fair pit the 35 watt part to the 90 watt parts you're saying? Waaah waaah?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Saylick

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Maybe the sarcasm didn't punch through: it replaces desktops in terms of power usage.

Yeah for a htpc or something it could even work. Would be all over even a desktop t series chip again just for htpc to replace i3 2100/upcoming 2500k. I had a bit of fun with a i5 8400t. Passively cooled under a Tisis cooler and staying under 60cel even with prime95. Gamed better then a 4670.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I use firefox. But I learned something. I copied the link location and opened up chrome, and it asked me if I want it translated. Cool !

Reactions: mopardude87