Asus GTX 580 DirectCU II On The Egg

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
you need to have the picture uploaded somewhere on the internet, like photobucket

boed

Nov 19, 2009
Thanks - I don't think my picture is worth setting up an account for photobucket.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
I'd do it if the cooler was more effective and cooler, and funneled the hot air out the back instead of recycling it in the case.

boed

Nov 19, 2009
You can use imageshack.us and link the direct link with no account...

Thanks!

17622152.jpg

I rarely take pictures and I didn't plan on showing the insides of this computer to anyone so it could use a little better cable tidying.

My case comes with a bracket for supporting heavier video cards but it would block the shot. I think they were hoping would show the video card in a case. You wouldn't really need a bracket if you don't bring your computer anywhere (which I don't) but it is a good idea if you go to gaming events or are just moving to a new house.

My case keeps nice and cool thanks to the layout of the fans that came with it which are quiet enough (Probably not as quiet as the best fans but quiet enough). The thermaltake fan that came with my CPU cooler was too loud so I replaced it with a scythe fan with similar airflow specs. I also treated the case with some things that reduce ability for it to radiate heat a teeny bit but it makes it a little quieter. I'm hoping they improve the design of this case in the next model to include more space on the motherboard size for better cable management and USB3 links. I think the one they they really could do is put power and Sata connectors that are anchored at the end of the drive bays in place so you just slide in the drive and you are done with it - the way it is now, I have to take off the reverse side of my case to add or remove drives.

Last edited:

Tomdingo

Feb 12, 2011
I am debating getting this card or doing a gtx 560 sli setup. My question is would the 560's saturate the x8, x8 pci express 2.0 lanes my mobo has available or would i be better to go with a single 580 at x16? I want to buy something that will come as close as possible to saturating without wasting too much cash. (building another rig in the next two years around Maxwell release.)

my specs
i7-860 @3.2Ghz (up to 4Ghz)
Prolimatech megahalems (push pull)
Asus Maximus III formula = p55 :(
4Gigs Corsair Dominator@1600Mhz 8-8-8-24 1.5v
Corsair Obsidian 800D case w/ upgraded fans

Tomdingo

Feb 12, 2011
I dont think the msi twin frozer version has heatsinks on the ram/vregs either. I do think that the galaxy version with the acelero cooler does, but it doesnt look anywhere as nice as this one does.

Castiel

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2010
Thanks!

17622152.jpg

I rarely take pictures and I didn't plan on showing the insides of this computer to anyone so it could use a little better cable tidying.

My case comes with a bracket for supporting heavier video cards but it would block the shot. I think they were hoping would show the video card in a case. You wouldn't really need a bracket if you don't bring your computer anywhere (which I don't) but it is a good idea if you go to gaming events or are just moving to a new house.

My case keeps nice and cool thanks to the layout of the fans that came with it which are quiet enough (Probably not as quiet as the best fans but quiet enough). The thermaltake fan that came with my CPU cooler was too loud so I replaced it with a scythe fan with similar airflow specs. I also treated the case with some things that reduce ability for it to radiate heat a teeny bit but it makes it a little quieter. I'm hoping they improve the design of this case in the next model to include more space on the motherboard size for better cable management and USB3 links. I think the one they they really could do is put power and Sata connectors that are anchored at the end of the drive bays in place so you just slide in the drive and you are done with it - the way it is now, I have to take off the reverse side of my case to add or remove drives.

Looks sweet. Can't wait for mine to arrive

Crayon Shinchan

Feb 11, 2011
Keep us updated, Castiel. Do you plan on occupying any of the other PCIe slots with anything other than the videocards?

Beebu

Dec 9, 2010
Just got mine in. Packaging is quite nice with lots of foam to protect the card.

I was quite surprised at how small the box is compared to MSI's box for their 6970.

Will take pictures later once I get home from work and install it and finally get my computer up and running.

Castiel

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2010
Just got mine in. Packaging is quite nice with lots of foam to protect the card.

I was quite surprised at how small the box is compared to MSI's box for their 6970.

Will take pictures later once I get home from work and install it and finally get my computer up and running.

I received mine yesterday but haven't had a chance to install them. I will also have results tonight.

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010
I received mine yesterday but haven't had a chance to install them. I will also have results tonight.

I thought you were going to wait for the GTX-595? You decided to go with the 580s huh? Three slots is way too big for me as I need 2-3 slots for sound card and RAID controller.

SHAQ

Aug 5, 2002
I am debating getting this card or doing a gtx 560 sli setup. My question is would the 560's saturate the x8, x8 pci express 2.0 lanes my mobo has available or would i be better to go with a single 580 at x16? I want to buy something that will come as close as possible to saturating without wasting too much cash. (building another rig in the next two years around Maxwell release.)

my specs
i7-860 @3.2Ghz (up to 4Ghz)
Prolimatech megahalems (push pull)
Asus Maximus III formula = p55 :(
4Gigs Corsair Dominator@1600Mhz 8-8-8-24 1.5v
Corsair Obsidian 800D case w/ upgraded fans

560 SLI should beat a 580. I don't believe they saturate an x8 slot. SLI is nice as one card can be dedicated to antialiasing which gives perfect image quality if, for instance, SLI would give you over 100 fps or you could split it up for 1 card to do supersampling and get closer to 60 fps but it would look almost twice as good. If you have a 120hz monitor though it would be a different story. But for me I will wait on the 120hz monitor until games can be played supersampled and maintain 120 fps.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Will do

I'm not a very patient man and with no info directly from Nvidia whats the point in waiting?

Especially since you basically just got a 595 didnt have to wait and will be able to OC better because of the MASSIVE cooling.

Castiel

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2010
Especially since you basically just got a 595 didnt have to wait and will be able to OC better because of the MASSIVE cooling.

Agreed. I was drooling over them this morning before i left for work. Can't wait to get home.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Skurge,

I'm done with water. It's a pain in the ass and i want simplicity now.

i dont even think i can look at air for gpu's anymore... :biggrin:

unigene.png

And its called QDC's.. they make things a ton Simple.

Updating my system now, but did a quick gpu z check. Card is idling at 31.

:hmm:

You see what i mean now. :D
My cards typically load at your idle. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Castiel

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2010
i dont even think i can look at air for gpu's anymore... :biggrin:

unigene.png

And its called QDC's.. they make things a ton Simple.

:hmm:

You see what i mean now. :D
My cards typically load at your idle. :biggrin:

915 core is all you can squeeze out on water? No 1Ghz?