Asus GTX 580 DirectCU II On The Egg

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Castiel

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2010
I'm having second thoughts about SLI, and think I'm going to stick with a single GPU setup, since I'm only going with a single display (I know you're doing surround). But since it's just one I'm going to go all out for it.

Are you going to report back your results for this card? I'd be really interested to see how it turns out for you.

I'll have results as soon as i get them.

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Holy... that is one huge card. I'm happy with my 6970 but dang it would be fun to play with 2 of those, especially if/when nVidia improves their SLI scaling to match or beat the 6xxx series xfire scaling. I might actually be able to utilize this 1kw BFG PSU.

Dang though... it would almost be too much performance ;)

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Yeah, SLI scaling in 5xx isnt that flash!, hope they fix that with better drivers!

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
does the asus direct cu II 580 do 3d vision surround with only one card, like how ati can do eyefinity on 1 card?

Elganja

Platinum Member
May 21, 2007
LOL! $200 for a Swiftech full cover block!

That EVGA 580 is such a ripoff. You can just order a 580 and WB for over a hundred dollars less.

you're paying extra for few things...
-FTW cards, so slightly faster clocks and best binned cards which should = best overclockability
-Waterblock and pre-installed
-Warranty as the card sits w/ waterblock and card (this was HUGE for me when I decided to get the 480 FTW Hydrocoppers... in my case lifetime warranty)

Is it worth the 200 premium? For me it was...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-429-_-Product

Love refund time.

Edit - Make that ordered two

those look like some beastly cards... gl with them!

LiuKangBakinPie

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
imageview.php

^This will go nicely with it. The BIG BANG OVERKILL lol
---------------- Now playing: De Vit, Tony - Dawn via FoxyTunes

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
Yeah. Question remains if the second card will run at X16 because of the NF200 or X8

Edit: I'm told that the Asus board can't do 2 x16, and that the Gigabyte P67 UD7 is the one to get if you want that. However, the x16 lanes in the Gigabyte are adjacent, meaning the airflow of the topmost card would be severely impaired. What were they thinking? End rant.

Last edited:

Castiel

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2010
Edit: I'm told that the Asus board can't do 2 x16, and that the Gigabyte P67 UD7 is the one to get if you want that. However, the x16 lanes in the Gigabyte are adjacent, meaning the airflow of the topmost card would be severely impaired. What were they thinking? End rant.

Thanks.. I'll just have to wait and see. In the manual it says the last slot is X16 no matter what so i'll try it.

Crayon Shinchan

Feb 11, 2011
Have an Antec 1200 so case temps rising isn't a big deal for me as all the fans are on high but i think the directcu pushes air out of the case. Atleast part of it.

Hey, I also have an Antec 1200 and am in the process of buying my components. I was pretty sold on the Asus but was concerned about fitment with a dual-SLI setup (I am set on going dual-SLI). I have a EVGA X58 3-SLI board. Do you think it'll fit. I'm getting mixed responses.

I have a PCIe sound card that I plan to use too, so it would probably be sandwiched in between the two video cards.

Here's my mobo:

EVGA+X58+Classified3.jpg

Are you using PCIe slots for other components?

Let me know when you get this and how the fitment was.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Dark Shroud

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2010
Holy hell I would have sold blood to buy the HD 6970 version. Pumping the air out of the back of the case is awesome.

I pray Asus will make a HD 6990 with this cooler. I would pay a grand to tri-fire that since I'm going to upgrade my mobo when it comes time for my exchange or refund.

boed

Nov 19, 2009

I have a crappy camera but I'll take pictures of it if no one mocks my lack of photography skills. Is it because you want to see how it fits in my computer case? When I click on the picture icon above it asks for a URL - how do I post a picture if my jpg is on my computer? I have about 1" to spare between my drive bays and the card. I bought my case expecting a long card - cooler master 690 II. What you may not see in most pictures if you are looking at the bottom of the card, the shroud extends about 1/2" beyond the edge of the bottom - my guess is for better airflow to the first fan since there is nothing in the shroud in that last 1/2". I don't see a place to send attachments if I PM you.

I can say it does look exactly like the pics of it I've seen on the web. The one thing that surprised me about it is if you look at it from the side, there are a bunch of chips surrounding the GPU and they don't have any heat radiators on them. I guess they don't need any as the card runs fantastic. It seems to weigh a teeny bit more than the MSI FROZR I'm about to return (but I could be imagining the weight difference).

Last edited: