Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2 + ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA + ASRock 775Dual-VSTA

Page 35 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Deleauvive

Jan 16, 2009
www.netcomet.info
Well, USB connectivity has been hit that's for sure, and even if there was no further damage, I am not really inclined to keep using this board much longer. Average overclocking capabilities comes to mind, plus other small annoyances (e.q. various issues with my nVidia GPUs).

Of course, I'll keep an eye on this thread to help you guys get the best out of it, if I can.

Last edited:

geney98

Jul 21, 2014
Hello guys,can somebody tell me would HD 5450 work on AsRock 4Core-DualSATA2?
Or can new Nvidia GT 730 work on it?
Or if somebody could be a really great person to make me list of working PCI-e GPU's :3

old_hardware

Jul 21, 2014
Hello to forum, newbie here ! Let me intorduce myself this way !
I browsed about gazzilion of pages about Asrock VSTA and my biggest problem is : no pictures ! I saw lots of text about volt mods but I just can't find pics to see what to modify? Does anyone have some sort of small tutorials? Like : solder these two together to rise Vagp...Or something like that? My goal is to made my components work ! As for now, I am running DualVSTA board on 3.19a Bios, Radeon 9800 XT, and 4Gb of XMS Corsair 1066 memory. CPU is Intel Xeon L5240 modified with sticker and it's working in MB. Problem is it's only working on 1066FSB as that is the factory max rated for this board.So now it's only running at 2,4Ghz What should i do to get it working on fully 1333FSB? What mods should i do ! Please some pics ! Be patient with me, i know no one use this boards now, but i'm really interested what else is this board capable of!
And please do post infos about compatible PCI-e GPUs :D
Thank You all !!!

Hlafordlaes

May 21, 2006
Hello to forum, newbie here ! Let me intorduce myself this way !
I browsed about gazzilion of pages about Asrock VSTA and my biggest problem is : no pictures ! I saw lots of text about volt mods but I just can't find pics to see what to modify? Does anyone have some sort of small tutorials? Like : solder these two together to rise Vagp...Or something like that? My goal is to made my components work ! As for now, I am running DualVSTA board on 3.19a Bios, Radeon 9800 XT, and 4Gb of XMS Corsair 1066 memory. CPU is Intel Xeon L5240 modified with sticker and it's working in MB. Problem is it's only working on 1066FSB as that is the factory max rated for this board.So now it's only running at 2,4Ghz What should i do to get it working on fully 1333FSB? What mods should i do ! Please some pics ! Be patient with me, i know no one use this boards now, but i'm really interested what else is this board capable of!
And please do post infos about compatible PCI-e GPUs :D
Thank You all !!!

See here for the right guide, which is actually for the 775dual-vsta. Follow the link. There are still links with pictures of solder points.

Good luck with that CPU. Pls report back any results, but note that achieving a high FSB on this board is notably difficult.

Hlafordlaes

May 21, 2006
Hello guys,can somebody tell me would HD 5450 work on AsRock 4Core-DualSATA2?
Or can new Nvidia GT 730 work on it?
Or if somebody could be a really great person to make me list of working PCI-e GPU's :3

I've heard of cards as late as the HD6850 working if you are on the latest pc-treiber BIOS (search this thread). Don't know about that particular NVidia card; the 8800GT was not PCIe 1.1 backward compatible and didn't work, but to my knowledge, later cards work.

I use a 460 GT (4CoreDual-VSTA, latest modded BIOS)

old_hardware

Jul 21, 2014
See here for the right guide, which is actually for the 775dual-vsta. Follow the link. There are still links with pictures of solder points.

Good luck with that CPU. Pls report back any results, but note that achieving a high FSB on this board is notably difficult.

Sorry about being imprecise, my board is 775Dual-VSTA. Will go throught that thread today and try to find somebody able to solder the board. So far I can only post results from AIDA64 from my currently configuration if anyone is interested !
Thank you for the link !

old_hardware

Jul 21, 2014
Just read about 100 pages on VR Zone and didn't find any relevant pictures...Few of them about measure points and that' it . Anyone still got vagp and vnb related pics? As the cpu really doesnt need any more power, not even ddr, i'd first try that vagp pencil mod. But again, no pic what to do!!! If vagp isn't workin id try to solder it, and after that soldering to get vnb higher. Please, some valid links or pics i really want it to work like it should be, on 333 FSB...

Hlafordlaes

May 21, 2006
Just read about 100 pages on VR Zone and didn't find any relevant pictures...Few of them about measure points and that' it . Anyone still got vagp and vnb related pics? As the cpu really doesnt need any more power, not even ddr, i'd first try that vagp pencil mod. But again, no pic what to do!!! If vagp isn't workin id try to solder it, and after that soldering to get vnb higher. Please, some valid links or pics i really want it to work like it should be, on 333 FSB...

The pics in the linked articles are all I have as reference. I'd try appealing directly on the VR-Zone forums if you can't find something.

The board is designed for 1066, not 1333, and officially does not support that. The best overclocks, however, have reached 340 FSB and above, but always via use of the volt mods. The north bridge mod is required to get things stable, not just CPU and RAM voltage, iirc.

When I get my new system later this year, I may take the time to test these mods on my 4Core. Will post if I get around to it.

old_hardware

Jul 21, 2014
The pics in the linked articles are all I have as reference. I'd try appealing directly on the VR-Zone forums if you can't find something.

The board is designed for 1066, not 1333, and officially does not support that. The best overclocks, however, have reached 340 FSB and above, but always via use of the volt mods. The north bridge mod is required to get things stable, not just CPU and RAM voltage, iirc.

When I get my new system later this year, I may take the time to test these mods on my 4Core. Will post if I get around to it.

What i was trying to say, there are no pics on the VR forum ! I registered over there too and when you read particular topic, there are no pics in posts. You can see pics on google images, but cant enlarge them, and when you click the image to follow the link to the topic and open pic, pic isnt there. Like it's cached into google and thats it. Anyway i spend 2 days figuring out what resistor to shade and what to do. As of now, i can boot into windows with 333FSB so my L5240 works @ 3.0Ghz. Problem is it's no were near stable. Windows tends to crash after a minute, two, ten, depending on the moon position i guess :\ I tried million combination with memory seting i i think that's the biggest problem. When set to 266ddr2 system boots into windows , but only when that flexibilty option is enabeled. When switched into 333ddr2 mode there is no way to see win booting screen. After looking at ddr2 sticks i think it could be linked with fact that this ddr doesnt have and 333 timing settings in it's SPD. Only 266 and 400, and of course 533 (as it it 1066DDR2). Ohh and to mention the modes, Vnb is 1.61V and Vagp is to 2.1V.No cpu or ram vmods as i belive they are not needed... Damn memory...

Deleauvive

Jan 16, 2009
www.netcomet.info
I am a happy P5Q Deluxe user since a few days, with a nicely overclocked e7300 (in the "mild overclocking" range, nothing stupendous). Obviousy, VIA's PT880 just can't beat Intel's P35 / P45! Also, I was able to re-use good ol' 320W Enermax power supply, plus the mundane PC2-5300 2x1 GB Transcend memory modules, overclocked too. So far so good!

IMHO, the 4Core and its cousins, featuring hybrid DDR / DDR2 support, were OK by the time some users (such as me) were reluctant to switch to DDR2, or may they be could appeal to AGP fetishists, or to OC' beginners.

Using and tweaking mine was great fun though, for the most part. Asrock did what they could, couldn't they ?
Just to make things clear, I didn't fry it because of the mild 'OC I described earlier,
but because of my unwise attempt to use 2 of its USB ports as a power source for an external 2.5" SATA HDD.

Last edited:

old_hardware

Jul 21, 2014
I am a happy P5Q Deluxe user since a few days, with a nicely overclocked e7300 (in the "mild overclocking" range, nothing stupendous). Obviousy, VIA's PT880 just can't beat Intel's P45! Also, I was able to re-use good ol' 320W Enermax power supply, plus the mundane PC2-5300 2x1 GB Transcend memory modules, overclocked too. So far so good!

IMHO, the 4Core and its cousins, featuring hybrid DDR / DDR2 support, were OK by the time some users (such as me) were reluctant to switch to DDR2, or may they be could appeal to AGP fetishists, or to OC' beginners.

Using and tweaking mine was great fun though, for the most part. Asrock did what they could, couldn't they ?
Just to make things clear, I didn't fry it because of the mild 'OC I described earlier,
but because of my unwise attempt to use 2 of its USB ports as a power source for an external 2.5" SATA HDD.

Agreed about P35... As for now mine is somewhat stable at about 315FSB with 333DDR2 settings but it restarts randomly..Giving it a better look, caps don't look so good. Will try to replace them in near future because i think they might be responsible for restarts while in windwns on 333FSB. While working on 266FSB not even a slightest problem. Funny board. Oh, another thing comes to my mind. I spoke to one guy that said he got quad core cpu working in 775dual-vsta board with 3.19a bios. Can anyone else confirm that ?

Deleauvive

Jan 16, 2009
www.netcomet.info
As for now mine is somewhat stable at about 315FSB with 333DDR2 settings
Yeah, I got mine stable (not somewhat stable, rock solid stable!) with similar FSB & DRAM values (even higher : 400DDR2), just PM me if you'd like all the details about my OC' (until I find a suitable place to post about it). Could be more realistic to aim for 333FSB with watercooling.

Last edited:

Hlafordlaes

May 21, 2006
As for the advanced age of this thread, it speaks to the great results from this series of PT880 boards. Mine allowed me to transition to Core2 at a minimum investment, and then make small improvements. Made it to 2014 with a fantastic, smooth Win7 running fine, and with gaming still enjoyable. Thanks, VIA.

The next major performance leap from Intel is coming now with Broadwell, combining recent architectures with better overclocking, and introducing a slew of other features. Just in time for me to phase out the 4Core and invest in a platform I hope to once again use for another 7 years.

This was the last hurrah for VIA in Intel chipsets, and what a great effort it turned out to be! I only wish for VIA that the Nano had turned out better; I've been with their motherboards and chipsets since 1992, and had hoped to see a future for them in the x86 space. Time to finally go Intel.

old_hardware

Jul 21, 2014
Yeah, I got mine stable (not somewhat stable, rock solid stable!) with similar FSB & DRAM values (even higher : 400DDR2), just PM me if you'd like all the details about my OC' (until I find a suitable place to post about it). Could be more realistic to aim for 333FSB with watercooling.

Lol, would like to PM, but until you got 25 posts only PM you can send is to administrators :D

old_hardware

Jul 21, 2014
As for the advanced age of this thread, it speaks to the great results from this series of PT880 boards. Mine allowed me to transition to Core2 at a minimum investment, and then make small improvements. Made it to 2014 with a fantastic, smooth Win7 running fine, and with gaming still enjoyable. Thanks, VIA.

The next major performance leap from Intel is coming now with Broadwell, combining recent architectures with better overclocking, and introducing a slew of other features. Just in time for me to phase out the 4Core and invest in a platform I hope to once again use for another 7 years.

This was the last hurrah for VIA in Intel chipsets, and what a great effort it turned out to be! I only wish for VIA that the Nano had turned out better; I've been with their motherboards and chipsets since 1992, and had hoped to see a future for them in the x86 space. Time to finally go Intel.

This borad was interesting to me few years ago and that's why i bought it. It was sitting in a box since then..Plan was, still is, to do a combo that will last next 5 years (2019!) with modified XP. After that I'll just go to the store and buy something brand new. I was out of the whole PC world for about 5,6 years and skipped few generations of cpu-d, chipsets...I don't know about other peoples but last AIDA 64 memory read results was around 8200mb/s..Which is much much better than 1900 as i got on my daily PC right now..So, 775Dual-VSTA for me still makes sense !

A-L-E-X

Oct 10, 2014
Deleauvive, that's a total bummer that your board no longer works. I'm lucky, touch wood, that my 4coredual-sata2 works after all these years (going on 7).
I guess it's true, all good things must come to an end.
It's tough to find any 775 socket boards (especially those that used DDR2), so I wish you luck with it all....

Mine still works too! I started using mine in November of 2007, so it will be 7 years next month! I have the original 4coredual SATA 2 (not rev. 2.0)

The only thing that stopped working was the ethernet chip so I got a gigabit pci ethernet card. I also replaced the psu with an OCZ Modstream Pro 700W, modular, have three tornado fans and a pci slot cooler for extra cooling and 2 usb 2 hubs (total of 12 ports) 2 GB DDR2 ram from Crucial and an EVGA 8800GTS 640 (112 SP edition) graphics card. I want to know what to upgrade my video card too. I still use XP on this machine, it can play Crysis fine at 1280x1024. But I want a higher end graphics card (this card gives me 9000 scores on 3DMark06)..... the highest end Nvidia card I can find which works on these boards is the GTX 460....does anything newer work, for instance the GTX 750? I have the 2.20 BIOS

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...b-d4kA&usg=AFQjCNFG0riVCZQ4RjFYxGFNIAM0h1bs2A

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...Fq_biw&usg=AFQjCNEI0Le3mtaRcaquxUXt6X8bXXjJNw

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...ZthA8g&usg=AFQjCNFy6L7ckNhvWOX30T5PsJjBIMBv-A

http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/41243-4coredual-vsta-radeon-5770-compatible-not.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/288894-33-hd5830-asrock-4coredual-sata2

seems like the GTX 650 does not work and neither does Radeon HD 7770

Latest generations I can see working are GTX 460 and HD 5770/5830 (?)

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...bx_8aA&usg=AFQjCNE0gAwBAMUIsBcpHe6ESW-sZUjtbg

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...ZthA8g&usg=AFQjCNFy6L7ckNhvWOX30T5PsJjBIMBv-A

A-L-E-X

Oct 10, 2014
Oh also using dual 1280x1024 LCD monitors and 7.1 Creative Speakers on Audigy 2 ZS in a nice windowed case, this combo still works very well....using this mobo 12+ hrs per day for the last 7 years lol on a Cyberpower 1000VA UPS.

idlertire1

Nov 3, 2014
If I update my Asrock 775Dual motherboard to the 3.19a Bios will the Intel E6600 Wolfdale cpu work in it?