Are you metrosexual?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: brigden
I'll tell you what: I'll stand beside any one of you in my tailored pink shirt and we'll see who is considered the most attractive and best-dressed.

Pink shirt.

repeat after me.

Pink shirt.

looking like a girl does NOT mean you are attractive.

Your skin is pink and you don't see brown people like me making fun of you.

Rent

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
Originally posted by: spidey07
I'll tell you what: I'll stand beside any one of you in my tailored pink shirt and we'll see who is considered the most attractive and best-dressed.

Pink shirt.

repeat after me.

Pink shirt.

looking like a girl does NOT mean you are attractive.

Your skin is pink and you don't see brown people like me making fun of you.

I don't know about you, but my skin isn't pink.

fizmeister

Oct 29, 2002
Yeah, my friend is a pure metrosexual. I would like to be, but I can't afford to, nor is it in my character.

It's fun making fun of him, though -- but most of that is jealousy over his money and being able to afford such a lifestyle.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: fizmeister
Yeah, my friend is a pure metrosexual. I would like to be, but I can't afford to, nor is it in my character.

It's fun making fun of him, though -- but most of that is jealousy over his money and being able to afford such a lifestyle.

Even if I had the money I sure wouldn't go metrosexual. There are much much better things to buy.

Face cream - $40

or

Lap dance - $40

hmmm... lemme... lemme think about this one... ummmm... yeah, I'm gonna have to go with the lap dance. :D

Then there's beer, and food... Metro items are waaaay down on my priority list.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
It will be you - for best dressed - because you're an admitted metrosexual. Isn't that the point of this? In terms of attractiveness I know plenty of females who prefer their man to look more...manly, and less like them. Metrosexuals give off an air of wussiness, which is not attractive to many females (pink shirt doesn't tell a woman that you're going to protect her from the big bad things in life). Many others don't care if their guy is a puss, just as long as he's well shaven (even at the end of a long weekend of staying inside), and his hair is always perfectly in place.

Rent

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Originally posted by: silverpig

Even if I had the money I sure wouldn't go metrosexual. There are much much better things to buy.

Face cream - $40

or

Lap dance - $40

hmmm... lemme... lemme think about this one... ummmm... yeah, I'm gonna have to go with the lap dance. :D

Holy crap, lap dances cost $40 in your area? I could get 2 for that price :D

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Rent

Face cream - $40

or

Lap dance - $40

Heck, where I'm from $40 will get you a BJ!

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
It will be you - for best dressed - because you're an admitted metrosexual. Isn't that the point of this? In terms of attractiveness I know plenty of females who prefer their man to look more...manly, and less like them. Metrosexuals give off an air of wussiness, which is not attractive to many females (pink shirt doesn't tell a woman that you're going to protect her from the big bad things in life). Many others don't care if their guy is a puss, just as long as he's well shaven (even at the end of a long weekend of staying inside), and his hair is always perfectly in place.
I'd like you to see you tell David Beckham he looks like a wuss to his face.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: werk

rolleye.gif

dolph

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
i'm more metro than i'm not. and bfd, too. i don't think there's any reason why you can't be well read, know about wine and food, take pride in your personal apperance and not have sex with women. i'm secure in my masculinity, and i can just as easily drink champagne at an opera in a tux as i could drink beer in a dive bar in jeans and a t-shirt. but if someone has a problem with me being clean shaven and neat fingernails, to hell with them :)

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Rent

Face cream - $40

or

Lap dance - $40

Heck, where I'm from $40 will get you a BJ!

I'm talking about the good places. Well, mid road anyways. The $$$ joint here is more than that. Shirt and tie, dress shoes type deal. The fun ones are about $35-$40 a pop but you don't get any nastyness. Of course there's crappy ones where you can get them for $15, but yech...

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: werk

Are you kidding? I'd pay money to tell Beckham what a fairy he looks like.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Skoorb, why does it bother you so much about what *other* people do? If I want to spend $13 on a pomade at the salon instead of $3 on a tub of gel at Target, why does that irk you so much?

Out of curioristy, of course...

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: beer
Skoorb, why does it bother you so much about what *other* people do? If I want to spend $13 on a pomade at the salon instead of $3 on a tub of gel at Target, why does that irk you so much?

out of curiosity, is pomade like hair gel? I know the stuff I bought was that much ($14) got it for my wedding photos but haven't used it since....

I see it as some people (guys) have no problem with buying nice stuff...heck I have no issue with spending $130 for a pair of nice shoes, $80 for a belt, $60 for a good shirt, and $700+ for a nice suit, couple of grand on a watch, few hundred on a nice fountain pen as I see it lasting alot longer and possibly the rest of your life, that and your image really helps you in the professional world....but the majority would flip and spend it on other stuff, most of them are techies and have no desire to do anything more meaningful or lucrative with their lives....I personally want to move into sales or some customer relations position where image is key.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: beer

It doesn't bother me in the least (except ryan seacrest is in need of a flogging). If guys want to look prissy and trim, it's their prerogative! Obviously people dress in this manner and look a certain way to give off a certain impression. I was illustrating the fact that this impression, to a lot of people, is one of a nancy-boy. That's all.

gunblade

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Jfrag
Fvck no. I prefer for my reproductive organs to remain on the outside.

lol, being metrosexual doesn't affect the position of your sexual organ, or so I guess...

tantos

Jan 18, 2001
I guess I am one..but hell no would I wear a pink shirt. It's all dark colors for me.
But then again, if Jesse Ventura wore a pink shirt, would you call him gay?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: tantos
I guess I am one..but hell no would I wear a pink shirt. It's all dark colors for me.
But then again, if Jesse Ventura wore a pink shirt, would you call him gay?
Nobody called anybody gay. We just said that wearing a pink shirt looks gay. I was with a bunch of friends a little while ago and one guy with us (not gay and has a wife) wore a pink shirt and people started calling him the easter bunny :) I didn't, but he hasn't worn it since :Q

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/140005446X/qid=1076897351/sr=2-1/">Queer Eye for the Straight Guy : The Fab 5's Guide to Looking Better, Cooking Better, Dressing Better, Behaving Better, and Living Better
by Ted Allen (Author), Kyan Douglas (Author), Thom Filicia (Author), Carson Kressley (Author), Jai Rodriguez (Author) </a>

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002

Face cream - $40

or

Lap dance - $40

I'd rather spend $40 on things that would make me more attractive than a non-satisfying lapdance from some ho. $40 will buy a damned sexy "vintage" jacket from the 70s.

Based on the pictures, I figured Skoorb was a metro, but now I know his wife dresses him!

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003
I'm comfortable with who I am and don't have any problems with metrosexuals personally but I wouldn't hang around them. Where I come from they'd take a guy with a pink shirt or a metrosexual and put a few big rocks on you in the mines and forget about ya heh. Well maybe not all metrosexuals...just the ones who say "I do contest waiter, my souffl&eacute; is not ripe enough for my pristine mouth to handle".

Me:
- favorite vehicles: V8 stangs and Ford Trucks
- footwear: I have one pair of shoes, work boots and sandals for the summer
- prefered method of relaxation: While metros probably get their temples rubbed and feet massaged, I split and stack wood, shovel snow (even though have a blower) or go outside for walks at night when its bitterly cold :)
- reading: Um I read lots of books? Mostly technical and scifi of course :) I do argue that non-metros are intelligent just in other areas: the sciences, maths, mechanical, engineering sort of things whereas metros would probably go for liberal arts.
- sports: hockey (don't care for football... but I'm Canadian eh :p)
- food: I like simple meals with lots of beef. Mom's mince dinner is the best or her sheppards pie or scotch meat pies :D
- drinks: I like Guinness and Chimay Bleu (strong Belgian ale @ 9%)

I've never been to a nightclub (only have bars where I'm from). I hate wines and couldn't tell you a $5 from a $5000. I couldn't tell you one designer from the next. I've worked construction in the past.

I guess I'm 100% non-metrosexual :p

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Based on the pictures, I figured Skoorb was a metro, but now I know his wife dresses him!
Yep, if not for her I'd be a bit hopeless. I will admit that I sometimes probably look kind of metro with some of the clothes she'll put me with (she doesn't dress me up like the cats, and I do have some say in it ;)), but I still don't have nice cremes, nice hair cut, or any of that :) Back when I was a teenager I'd spend 10 min doing my hair after every shower, and I felt free one day after finally deciding to cut my hair too short to do anything with it. I've since tried growing it long again and tire of it almost immediately. Low-maintenance is what it's all about for me now with that stuff!

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
LOL!

Gee, most of the women I know (and they are all professional, late 20 somethings, early 30s) think the metro sexual stuff equates to a wussie and they won't approach them with a 10 foot pole.

Exact words from one female friend "they're just too girly and that is SO much of a turn off."

f'in wussie boys...

-edit- as I sit here and listen to opera in HD at great volume and actually get it. Let me scratch my balls here for a moment.