Are you metrosexual?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
19,048
18
81
Originally posted by: brigden
Originally posted by: coldcut
Originally posted by: brigden
Originally posted by: coldcut
Originally posted by: brigden
I'm very into clothing, jackets, shoes, etc. I always wear either fibre gel, or styling mud. I'm thin, neat and tidy, like cats, subscribe to Esquire, shop at Ikea, but can't cook. I hate sports, don't know a thing about cars, I help my GF shop for clothes and routinely choose her outfits for a night out.

I also, like tanlines, voluptuous figures, large breasts, legs that go on forever, drinking copious amounts of larger until I puke, Schwartzenegger movies, and comic books, but I've never seen Titanic.

I'm straight as an arrow.
You also like to wear women's panties.
Hey, your sister's look good on me.
She's 300 pounds.
Not after I'm done with her she isn't.
:disgust: WTF!? Anyway..the fact that you hate sports and don't know a thing about cars is just sad. Next.
 

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
32,237
52
91
Originally posted by: LSUfan
Originally posted by: Nikamichi
According to UrbanDictionary:

Metrosexual: (noun) Of or pertaining to a straight, urban male who is eager to embrace and even show off his feminine side, especially when it comes to expensive haircuts, designer suits, and $40 face cream.

or

Stylish, urban dwelling straight male, known for his savvy with clothing, his subscription to Kiplinger's, and who has all three of the following in his home:
1. a full set of silverware
2. books on a bookshelf that have actually been read
3. pomade
Then the answer is no.
 

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
5,394
2
81
Metrosexuals, in my experience, tend to be well-off, 20-something young professionals that live in or around large cities. It's become a commonly accepted part of "upper" culture and metropolitan living (and especially nightlife) for many men to prescribe to the metrosexual way of life. Hell, just look at most of the clothes in places like Armani/Armani Exchange, Gucci, Burberry, etc.

edit: and I just realized that I made iloveme2's signature...muahaha, I feel so...powerful! Thanks for temporarily immortalizing me.
 

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
70,150
3
0
I help my GF shop for clothes and routinely choose her outfits for a night out.
Holy sh*t man, get help. NOW.

BTW Ryan Seacrest I think does underscore what it is to be a metrosexual. I've hated that guy since the first american idol. Now I know why :)
 

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
70,150
3
0
Originally posted by: DaWhim
does having 4 older sisters justify myself to be one? I guess yes.
Well, your parents always wanted 5 girls - now they have them :p
 

dpopiz

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
4,454
0
0
I dunno if the description is quite accurate.

I mean I consider myself a metrosexual, but I'm not *eager* to "show off" feminine side, don't get expensive haircuts, don't get designer suits, and don't get $40 face cream.
to me it just means that I'm not afraid of my feminine side
 

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
24,510
13
81
Originally posted by: Nikamichi
Stylish, urban dwelling straight male, known for his savvy with clothing, his subscription to Kiplinger's, and who has all three of the following in his home:
1. a full set of silverware
2. books on a bookshelf that have actually been read
3. pomade
I'm not stylish, only temporarily urban-dwelling (have to be for college), am straight, am male, definitely not known for savvy with clothing, and I'd prefer a Finance trade journal. I don't yet have a full set of silverware (define "full set", if you mean all those funny, strange little forks and other do-dads then I'll never have one), and I'm definitely not the pomade sort. But I most certainly have a bookshelf full of books that I have read, many of them more than once. :)

ZV
 

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
70,150
3
0
Originally posted by: beer
I am a metrosexual. And damn proud of it.
How can you be "proud" of it? I mean, if it's something to be proud of anybody here could become one instantly...well, we'd need to read a few cosmopolitans first, so that we know which face cremes to buy.

 

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
10,709
0
0
I don't think being a metrosexual involves "showing your feminine side". I think a better description would be a male who feels secure enough with himself that doesn't feel he has to crush beercans on his forehead to prove how straight he is and is willing to enjoy things others might consider sissy-like.

For example, I enjoy receiving massages from a masseuse and I think this falls under metrosexual behavior although I would have to question the sanity of someone who couldn't enjoy something so relaxing.

Like a wise man once said, it's not homosexual unless it involves sex with another man. :D
 

brigden

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2002
8,702
2
81
Last night we were at a bar; I was wearing a pink long-sleeved dress shirt under a denim jacket. I overheard a guy chuckle to his buddy, "Look at that f*g in the pink shirt." I ignored him. My GF came over, she wrapped her arms around me, and stuck her tongue down my throat as I grabbed her ass. The entire time the two morons stared at us. As we left with our drinks, I turned to them, winked, and asked, "Are you two together? You make a cute couple." They said nothing.
 

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
70,150
3
0
Originally posted by: brigden
Last night we were at a bar; I was wearing a pink long-sleeved dress shirt under a denim jacket. I overheard a guy chuckle to his buddy, "Look at that f*g in the pink shirt." I ignored him. My GF came over, she wrapped her arms around me, and stuck her tongue down my throat as I grabbed her ass. The entire time the two morons stared at us. As we left with our drinks, I turned to them, winked, and asked, "Are you two together? You make a cute couple." They said nothing.
Do you delight in _loooking_ gay...?

:confused:
 

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
7,913
12
81
Funny as a colleague and I were having this discussion not a few weeks ago...

Personally I have nothing against personal care/hygene and expensive *nice* stuff....such as $20 for a thing of really good shaving cream that will last you 2 years vs the $3 can of Gilette you have to buy at least 6 of each year, using a shaving brush and shaving oil if you have a tough beard, nice suits from Brooks brothers, shoes from Johnston and murphy or Docs, belts, cufflinks, pens, nice watches... etc...however the trendy neuvo stuff they sell at armani and such makes me laugh at times...

also IMHO paying more than $13 for a haircut is a waste as is having silverware without a wife...
 

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
5,817
2
0
OK... I do like the finer things in life, I like artsy stuffs, I even create them when I can. I enjoy dressing up, not chasing fashion, but know how to look good. I take care of myself, and thankfully, my gf cares enough about me to show me how to take care of my self, and even my skin (which most "MANLY MAN" don't have a clue about and end up with skin diseases later on in life), does that make me metrosexual? I enjoy all different types of sports, love all the boy toys that I could get my hands on, and enjoy classical music, does that makes me metrosexual? I can "chill" and hang out with the "homies", yet can carry on a fairly intelligent conversation about different topics, does that make me metrosexual?

Bottom line is, if you're secure enough in your own sexuallity, and are mature enough, then you would know what you are. It does take a lot to graduate from a clueless, insecure testosterone filled adolescence to a gentlement, an art which is lost. Most people in today's society are just trying to put on a face for others to see, one that's not neccessarily a true reflection of themselves, or, a complete fake, if you want to be blunt about it.
 

brigden

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2002
8,702
2
81
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: brigden
Last night we were at a bar; I was wearing a pink long-sleeved dress shirt under a denim jacket. I overheard a guy chuckle to his buddy, "Look at that f*g in the pink shirt." I ignored him. My GF came over, she wrapped her arms around me, and stuck her tongue down my throat as I grabbed her ass. The entire time the two morons stared at us. As we left with our drinks, I turned to them, winked, and asked, "Are you two together? You make a cute couple." They said nothing.
Do you delight in _loooking_ gay...?

:confused:
You might define my style as "gay," but many others, perhaps more sophisticated individuals with a sense of style, would likely describe me as, trendy. Besides, I would rather appear gay than dress in ill-fitting sloppy clothes and walk around with a $7 haircut.

I appreciate the finer things in life. You like monster trucks.
 

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
19,048
18
81
Originally posted by: cr4zymofo
OK... I do like the finer things in life, I like artsy stuffs, I even create them when I can. I enjoy dressing up, not chasing fashion, but know how to look good. I take care of myself, and thankfully, my gf cares enough about me to show me how to take care of my self, and even my skin (which most "MANLY MAN" don't have a clue about and end up with skin diseases later on in life), does that make me metrosexual? I enjoy all different types of sports, love all the boy toys that I could get my hands on, and enjoy classical music, does that makes me metrosexual? I can "chill" and hang out with the "homies", yet can carry on a fairly intelligent conversation about different topics, does that make me metrosexual?

Bottom line is, if you're secure enough in your own sexuallity, and are mature enough, then you would know what you are. It does take a lot to graduate from a clueless, insecure testosterone filled adolescence to a gentlement, an art which is lost. Most people in today's society are just trying to put on a face for others to see, one that's not neccessarily a true reflection of themselves, or, a complete fake, if you want to be blunt about it.
No, you're fine, cause you like cars and sports. :D
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY