Are we there yet...

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
Thread bump.

We have a federal judge showing a defendant preference simply because of their status with no such precedent and going as far to say that what the government has said is classified may not be classified.

We have governors taking immigrants under false pretenses to other states purely for political reasons with the express purpose of making it more difficult for those immigrants to follow the law and path to asylum.

We have a Supreme Court remove a right they originally recognized under the guise that because that right isn’t expressly stated in the constitution that it doesn’t exist (a direct contradiction to the 9th amendment).

And we continue to have one of the main political parties still supporting and continuing the claim that the 2020 election was stolen.

If you want to deny the pot is coming to a boil I’d love to hear your reasoning.

Anyone denying it at this point is living in a fantasy land.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Which pot what boil. If you mean are we at the end of our nightmare, I would say closer. If you mean is democracy done, I don’t think so.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Which pot what boil. If you mean are we at the end of our nightmare, I would say closer. If you mean is democracy done, I don’t think so.

A dish of fascism is being served and our dying democracy is the main ingredient. A slow boil is happening, half the country is trying to turn up the heat, a quarter of the country is holding their noses while they keep their heads under water and the rest sound like an annoying smoke alarm.

The more blatant the republicans get with their anti American tactics, the stronger their support gets from their base. Call it a cult or Stockholm syndrome but the results are the same, a blind eye to what’s happening.

Last edited:
Reactions: gothuevos

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The more blatant the republicans get with their anti American tactics, the stronger their support gets from their base. Call it a cult or Stockholm syndrome but...

Now that you mention it.... I wonder if the two are actually related psychologically.
Anyways, it is tribal fervor. Humans experience it the world over. Is also the basis for religion.

I am unaware of any peaceful resolution available. For once the ideas take root, they will demand nothing less than "liberty or death". And ours will demand nothing less in return. Weaponize federalism.... and pray we do not kill 90% of our population.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

I fear you are the frog in the pot of water that started cold. We are closer to democracy being finished then it being healthy

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Now that you mention it.... I wonder if the two are actually related psychologically.
Anyways, it is tribal fervor. Humans experience it the world over. Is also the basis for religion.

I am unaware of any peaceful resolution available. For once the ideas take root, they will demand nothing less than "liberty or death". And ours will demand nothing less in return. Weaponize federalism.... and pray we do not kill 90% of our population.

That feels right but what does history say? Did we need to kill half of Germany’s population or half of the Soviet union’s population to rid them of fascism? Or did we need to remove the head of the snake?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
What if Trump threatens BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN if he is indited and nobody comes? What is happening to the Jan 6 people? How many deaths for the FBI? Fear is the mind killer. Republicans are riddled with it. Braggadocio is the product of cowards. Trump is going to be charged. I think if that doesn't happen it won't be the right we have to worry about.

And besides, any general uprising of lunatic right would require a military response. I cant believe an organization like that devoted to defense of the country would not have plans for this with full understanding of the issues.

I could be wrong but I'm not terribly easy to convince.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
That feels right but what does history say? Did we need to kill half of Germany’s population or half of the Soviet union’s population to rid them of fascism? Or did we need to remove the head of the snake?

Modern communication / social media has made it so everyone is involved and thinks of themselves as the head of the snake.
You think of a limited strike, but blood begets blood. And it will become personal to everyone, one way or another.

And most the deaths are not from any form of controlled force or violence. The conflict will end the supply chain. The unrest will salt the fields, destroy the water supply. The land itself will be uninhabitable and unable to support most of us. There need not be anyone's design or intent for 90% to end up dead. Merely the seeds of chaos having been sown in the first place.

It is a lovely dream you have, to think you can turn this event into something as successful as North Korea.
I see it as more post apocalyptic.

• Wow

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010

Federalism, balkanize, etc. It's probably the only way forward that doesn't involve violence or subjugation.

Just keep supply lines, trade and free movement open, and the vast majority of people will accept it. Maybe in a few generations we can "reunify."

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

Didn't you used to say that democracy was already dead because of too much money in politics?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Didn't you used to say that democracy was already dead because of too much money in politics?
Well, since claims have been made that I never to admit being wrong I guess you have shown me that democracy can be dead in more than one way. That would surly imply that it could be dead in one way but staving it off in another way. And, having staved off myself, of course but probably just only in my opinion, a recent somewhat similar claim made by @Perknose that I possess the a similarly the miraculous capacity for hubris in an ego-less state, and that I explained by the fact there are two forms of narcissism, let me apply the same art of escape here:

The death of democracy is due to the fact that we live in a competitive society and that competition is hate. All hate is the result of self hate below conscious awareness. Ego is the device by which that we achieve that suppression, we would have died as children if we had not conformed. The method used to create that conformity was physical threat, physical pain or the threat of not being loved, a mixture of physical punishment and verbal abuse, namely being put down. The result of this leads to two different outcomes, conservatives who suffer Stockholm conversion, and liberals who retain a sense of integrity by rebelling against victimization. This suggests also, two forms of narcissistic ego:

The different facets of narcissism
Researchers often distinguish between different types of narcissism (see Figure 1). Most often studied (including in the paper by Cichocka et al. [5]) is grandiose narcissism, regulated by two strategies [17]. First, grandiose narcissists strive to achieve admiration by boosting their egos through a sense of uniqueness, charm, and grandiose fantasizing. This strategy of assertive self-enhancement can also be referred to as agentic extraversion [6,18]. Second, narcissists use rivalry to manage any threats to the self via devaluing others, aggression, and striving for supremacy. This antagonistic self-protection is also known as narcissistic antagonism [6]. Antagonism also feeds into the so-called vulnerable type of narcissism, which—instead of agentic extraversion—is regulated by narcissistic neuroticism, related to negative emotionality and self-consciousness [6,18].1

Note that the forms of self contempt related above are easily accounted for by the notion of competition as all this narcissism is the result of being negatively compared to other people in childhood. Why can't you be good like so and so.

Now, finally I think I can get to the main point. Ego is the democracy killer. On the one hand there is too much money in politics because the ego wants control and money, the coin by which the inwardly empty measure value, can buy that in addition to the envy it can generate. So one and all, those of us suffering from deep inferiority complexes will dream of becoming rich, ego aggrandizement, and do whatever it takes to maintain income inequality because of that secret ego fantasy that "I will someday be rich myself and perhaps at least take on the glow around them by worshiping them."

In the second form of narcissism we see the destructive aspect of ego manifest. That thinking consists of "The system of forced equality of individuals, Democracy, has robbed me of the share of ego gratification I am entitled too."

As you can see the first case will have more supporters and be harder to eradicate whereas the latter will fuck with a lot of people's ego dreams and face stronger resistance. That's my proposition, anyway for why democracy is dead in one way but will, I believe, likely survive the other. If so maybe the self congratulatory boobery that will inevitably be generated by having saved ourselves will create the self confidence to tackle the money problem. Who knows....

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Trumpers really coming out of the closet lately.

I saw this...and what is weird is the people reporting on it are saying 'never seen anything like this'...and I'm all like...I have and it wasn't good. Now, I'm sure those involved are going to be all defensive, 'it's not like that'...oh...but it is very very much like that, here's your test 'what is your opinion of immigrants?'.

Reactions: Fenixgoon