Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 35 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The algorithms are designed to reduce the coins you get if more people start mining a coin. So if 10 people mine Moonbogcoin, they'll each get fewer coins per hour mining than if 5 people mine that coin. And the price of coins is of course a matter of supply and demand as well, so if more coins get mined, the price will go down.

I don't think cryptocoins work that way. The are not really a product like a toaster oven or sports car, but act more like a monetary unit, or perhaps a even a natural resource. Supply and demand does not work the same for those items because they have no demand limit. They instead can better be viewed with the inflation model. In this case the supply of coins is regulated by the algorithm that is limiting coin creation, therefore stabilizing the coin value. What will matter is use for the coin as a monetary unit, not how much of it is out there. The world economy can absorb more then they can likely produce, and hardly notice. If goods and services can easily be exchanged for the coin, it's value will increase even if the supply is high.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I don't think cryptocoins work that way. The are not really a product like a toaster oven or sports car, but act more like a monetary unit, or perhaps a even a natural resource. Supply and demand does not work the same for those items because they have no demand limit. They instead can better be viewed with the inflation model. In this case the supply of coins is regulated by the algorithm that is limiting coin creation, therefore stabilizing the coin value. What will matter is use for the coin as a monetary unit, not how much of it is out there. The world economy can absorb more then they can likely produce, and hardly notice. If goods and services can easily be exchanged for the coin, it's value will increase even if the supply is high.

It's a Ponzi scheme.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Larry, it's still much more effective, efficient and economic to run that electricity through a heatpump if you're just after heat.

No mining required. That way of heating only makes sense if you have practically free electricity.

Yeah, about that... I suspect Larry lives in an apartment where he currently has electric heat. You can't just run to Home Depot and buy an portable heat pump because they won't work below 40 F. I suppose retrofitting might be possible but a LL isn't doing that as long as the tenant (or maybe in Larry's case, the Government, lol) is paying for the electricity. But either way, if he wasn't mining, he'd be using electricity literally doing nothing.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Frenetic Pony

May 1, 2012
Yeah, about that... I suspect Larry lives in an apartment where he currently has electric heat. You can't just run to Home Depot and buy an portable heat pump because they won't work below 40 F. I suppose retrofitting might be possible but a LL isn't doing that as long as the tenant (or maybe in Larry's case, the Government, lol) is paying for the electricity. But either way, if he wasn't mining, he'd be using electricity literally doing nothing.

I guess we finally found something crypto does actually add value to :D

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Yeah, about that... I suspect Larry lives in an apartment where he currently has electric heat.

You almost wouldn't be able to pay for pure electric heating over here, unless you have a fortune or something. Let's just say you need 7-10.000KWh a year to heat an average sized / average insulated home (houses are generally smaller here) the bill would clock in at somewhere around 28500-40000DKK. That's almost 3 months salary for your average worker here.

People are quite literally being forced from their homes because of energy pricing levels. Help? Oh, if you're destitute enough you may get an extra (small) heating check. Sometime in september...

The rest of Europe can find out how to suspend energy taxes for a limited time. Just not us. We just get fleeced.

You can't just run to Home Depot and buy an portable heat pump because they won't work below 40 F. I suppose retrofitting might be possible but a LL isn't doing that as long as the tenant (or maybe in Larry's case, the Government, lol) is paying for the electricity. But either way, if he wasn't mining, he'd be using electricity literally doing nothing.

You'd need a fixed one, and investing in one as a tenant would be... dumb... unless there are special circumstances.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
The exchange rate of the euro and DKK to the dollar has been getting worse for some time now, so I expect inflated prices in Europe to persist until the exchange rate improves.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
The exchange rate of the euro and DKK to the dollar has been getting worse for some time now, so I expect inflated prices in Europe to persist until the exchange rate improves.
That might be some of it but not all. I did comparison of the price of the 5800x in Denmark and US and a 3080 and the DKK to USD for the 5800X was 8.11, while it is 8.55 for the 3080. The exchange rate is around 7, but we have a much higher sales tax than US.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012

Indeed.

Also, as oil is paid in dollars, that adds a pretty premium without us doing anything. We've just hit peak gas prices ever here. 18.79DKK/L, or in US terms $9.953/gal. I suspect there'd be revolution if the US ever hit that kind of pricing. 100 Octane has already passed 20DKK/L...

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I read somewhere that Norway is dependent on Denmark. Norway also has plenty of oil. Have they raised their prices for you guys, or is there some reason for not buying oil from them?

We have plenty of both oil and natural gas ourselves. We could supply our own needs just fine. But when world market (particularly European market) prices go skyward, there is just nothing we can do about it, since our oil/gas producers have to sell at those rates. No favouritism/mercantilism/protectionism here.

Our main gas field (Thyra-field) is also down for maintenance, and won't reopen until next year. It's going to be a bastard of a winter to get through.

Norwegians? They like our windmills, but then again, we like their hydro power. So I guess you can say we compliment each other. Sweden supplies a bit of nuclear power when needed, so they're in on it too...

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
(rumor) videocardz...

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 is now expected to debut in August. The current launch schedule lists RTX 4080 with a September launch date and RTX 4070 should launch in October. However, our sources expect some dates to change because AIBs still have lots of RTX 30 inventory left, and the last thing they want is to NVIDIA announce a new generation...

https://videocardz.com/newz/rumor-n...rtx-4080-in-september-and-rtx-4070-in-october

Hopefully that impacts prices further, both to existing GPU stocks and incoming new cards to whatever extent.

Reactions: Ranulf

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Have graphics card prices returned to normal in the US? I bought an R9 380X for £202 (UKP) in 2016 for myself and spent about £240 for a 1060 in the same year for a customer.

I don't know what the AMD equivalent is right now (judging by prices it's the 6600XT?), but a 3060Ti seems to be £465 here.

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Have graphics card prices returned to normal in the US? I bought an R9 380X for £202 (UKP) in 2016 for myself and spent about £240 for a 1060 in the same year for a customer.

I don't know what the AMD equivalent is right now (judging by prices it's the 6600XT?), but a 3060Ti seems to be £465 here.

They are trending in that direction. A lot of AMD cards can be purchased today for MSRP. nVidia stuff is still on the high side above MSRP.

A 6600XT would be a really big upgrade over a 380X.

Feb 4, 2009

Kind of depends, we are more or less retail price but that price has been elevated.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
JPR: GPU market is slowing down, shipments decreased by -19% year-to-year - VideoCardz.com

"Uh pick me - pick me" - Maybe stop sellling nearly two year old videocards well above MSRP prices?

What? The prices are fine compared to what the 4000 series will cost. People will be tripping over themselves to buy a 3080Ti for $1500 when they see how much the 4080 is going to cost. When a 3080 equivalent 4000 series card costs as much as a 3080, you may as well buy a 3080? I predict the RTX 4080 will cost $10,000 and it might as damn well as far as I'm concerned, because I'm not paying whatever price hike they're going for. If prices don't go DOWN this generation, I'm out.

• Haha
Reactions: amenx

FlawleZ

Oct 13, 2016
What? The prices are fine compared to what the 4000 series will cost. People will be tripping over themselves to buy a 3080Ti for $1500 when they see how much the 4080 is going to cost. When a 3080 equivalent 4000 series card costs as much as a 3080, you may as well buy a 3080? I predict the RTX 4080 will cost $10,000 and it might as damn well as far as I'm concerned, because I'm not paying whatever price hike they're going for. If prices don't go DOWN this generation, I'm out.
Prices will absolutely not go down next generation. AMD and Nvidia learned theres no reason to undersell themselves after what happened the last ~18 months.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Prices will absolutely not go down next generation. AMD and Nvidia learned theres no reason to undersell themselves after what happened the last ~18 months.

We'll see what happens after the cryptobros mess the bed. They can't rely on a handful of mouth-foamy psycho gamers to buy all their overpriced crap. They have to offer value to normal people as well.