Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 33 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
I must admit I much prefer the 1440p resolution. It gives you more vertical screen estate then 1080p/2160p at the same size display. Those just seem "cramped" and "squished" to me for some reason.

Why don't anyone make a decent 5K/2880p monitor that you can actually pay? Would be ideal for me.
How does 1440p give more vertical than 2160p? I have a 1440p monitor.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
A 3080 has been spotted in Denmark @ 6400dkk ~$900 which would be launch price. And it is in stock.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Isn't that reason enough to bash them? How long do they expect the crowd will be excited about vaporware, XeSS and PowerPoint slides?

You can bash the slides and the hype, but the actual product? Kinda hard to hit vapor.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
Not existing is a pretty significant failure though, as it means that the product lives up to none of it's promises.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
A 3080 has been spotted in Denmark @ 6400dkk ~$900 which would be launch price. And it is in stock.

Gotta account for the $ being on fire since the Fed started to raise rates. $ was ~6.30 dkk when the 3080 launched. It's almost 7.10 now. The $ rally is probably why crypto is slumping.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Gotta account for the $ being on fire since the Fed started to raise rates. $ was ~6.30 dkk when the 3080 launched. It's almost 7.10 now. The $ rally is probably why crypto is slumping.
Well now it is sold out.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Thing is, Ethereum's network hashrate hasn't decreased at all and is even increasing a tad. Ethereum is going to have to fall more to get the Flood.

• Wow
Reactions: VirtualLarry

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
From what I can see ETH hashrate has been fairly stable over the past couple of months, at least based on anecdotal earnings of my meager 2 cards mining. It did go up a bit, but not a whole bunch.

Latest news is that merge could happen as early as end of August if there are no problems. As always, take it with a grain of salt since PoS has been years in the making and been delayed numerous times already. I do think a lot of people are in denial about merge, they must think the gravy train is going to go forever. To be honest smart time to sell off your equipment was couple of months ago when used cards were still fetching 2x MSRP. It's a bit too late now, but still better now than later. PoS is coming, and when it comes it'll be a real shock to the entire mining industry, entire swaths of mining rigs are going to become essentially worthless. I'm a little sad I won't be able to mine, but maybe I'll pick up cheap 6800xt or maybe newly released 7700xt if prices are right.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
It's a bit too late now, but still better now than later. PoS is coming, and when it comes it'll be a real shock to the entire mining industry, entire swaths of mining rigs are going to become essentially worthless.

I still think crypto prices have to really crash to get miners to unload. Now the odds of this happening are increasing so we'll see.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I still think crypto prices have to really crash to get miners to unload. Now the odds of this happening are increasing so we'll see.
Oh, they're crashing. Someone on r/Nicehash complained that they went from $15/day to $3/day.

I've gone from $50-60/day last year, to $32/day, to $28/day, now running a reduced farm at $15-16/day.

Still ptrofitable, but only at 1.5-2x the cost of power.

Last edited:

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
That last sentence brought an image of people in a parched land looking at the sky and praying for the rain clouds.

Not me. I imagined out last hope was to be triggering giant hoop shaped weapons in space that eliminate life across huge distances.

I mean, I guess rain is good too, but he capitalized Flood.

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
AMD/NV big brain time: just make your cards so inherently power inefficient that it doesn't make sense to mine on them.

Introducing the NV HPC (High Power Consumption) line of cards. Basically everything has to offload twice the wattage draw of the standard part. For someone that games a couple hours a day, no big deal. For someone that mines 24/7, mining no longer profitable.

Also makes those absurd 3 slot coolers slapped onto a 6500XT make sense.

Reactions: MangoX and moonbogg

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I've seen youtubers claiming they are still making money from their mining rigs. As long as that's the case, there won't be a mining crash or a GPU flood. They will simply buy less GPUs, but won't be dumping them in a hurry. We need them to look at all their expensive equipment and feel nothing but emptiness inside, full of despair and hopelessness. Nothing but a huge energy bill must be in their future. Not breaking even, not making a couple dollars per day, but a giant black hole that sucks their wallet empty is what we need. That's a bright future that I am looking forward to.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
I've seen youtubers claiming they are still making money from their mining rigs. As long as that's the case, there won't be a mining crash or a GPU flood. They will simply buy less GPUs, but won't be dumping them in a hurry. We need them to look at all their expensive equipment and feel nothing but emptiness inside, full of despair and hopelessness. Nothing but a huge energy bill must be in their future. Not breaking even, not making a couple dollars per day, but a giant black hole that sucks their wallet empty is what we need. That's a bright future that I am looking forward to.
Hold that thought.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022

Once Ethereum goes proof of stake the profitability of mining it goes to zero and thus it doesn't matter anymore what the price of Ethereum is.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Thing is, Ethereum's network hashrate hasn't decreased at all and is even increasing a tad. Ethereum is going to have to fall more to get the Flood.

Kind of true, though I'm pretty sure hashrate has been steadily increasing since 2018 (overall), meaning that right now, mining setups aren't absorbing many new video cards as they enter the market. That alone will at least cause prices to stabilize and finally return to decline wrought by depreciation.

Reactions: amenx
Jul 27, 2020
If PoS doesn't happen before 4090 launch and it offers double the hashrate compared to 3090, I think it will be another best seller for Nvidia.

Reactions: blckgrffn

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Once Ethereum goes proof of stake the profitability of mining it goes to zero and thus it doesn't matter anymore what the price of Ethereum is.

Assume another PoS coin will take it's place. The best bet is still prices really crashing.

Reactions: blckgrffn