Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 83 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Except, Corsair used to be my favorite PSU, until 4 in a row died. Now EVGA has taken that over for me, but who knows about the future,

- That hurts to read. I've been running this relic H50 120mm AIO and hx650w PSU for the last *12 years* and they've been nothing but good to me.

Granted a lot can change in that time but woulda sworn by Corsair.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
- That hurts to read. I've been running this relic H50 120mm AIO and hx650w PSU for the last *12 years* and they've been nothing but good to me.

Granted a lot can change in that time but woulda sworn by Corsair.
Well, I think 2 were ax1200i and 1 was ax860i and not sure of then 4th. But was was a time... I still have ax1200's running. Its like they changed mfg's and then they were bad.

Franz316

Sep 12, 2000
I just bought a 3060ti from a local OfferUp for $300 which I think was a pretty good idea. The guy said he got a 3090 and just wanted to get rid of it quickly.

Reactions: VirtualLarry
Nov 20, 2009
Considering a little while ago Nvidia said the rollout of the 4K card clan would be delayed due to the existence of large volumes of 3K stock may be reinforced by the lack of the used stock digestion by the market because of higher than desired pricing. Way to milk the dead cow, Nvidia. :p

Mloot

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
My younger son seems happy with my 3070ti miner. I got his 2060 super in exchange, so I still have a card to mine on if it becomes profitable again.

Mloot

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
I don't think anything is profitable right now. I only have 4 gpus atm, and did it as a hobby, really. Mining did allow me to pay off a couple of bills several months early and pay for a nice vacation for the wife and I next month.

With work and other time-suck obligations, I mined the easiest way I could and just pointed my GPUs at Nicehash and it did most of the work for me.
My other son will probably get his card upgraded, too, when he has time to do the swap.

Last edited:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I'm seeing a lot of 3080 founder's editions popping up on ebay right now, as well as many AIB versions. Buy it now for $5-600 on some. Lots of sellers still have their head in the clouds over what they think they can charge for these, STILL asking for over MSRP on a used 3080. Did they miss the memo? "Oh, but I paid $2000 for this, so I need I need I need I need I need I need I need..."

These are dropping like a rock. Anyone not selling now at a low price is just going to get nothing for them.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
I'm seeing a lot of 3080 founder's editions popping up on ebay right now, as well as many AIB versions. Buy it now for $5-600 on some. Lots of sellers still have their head in the clouds over what they think they can charge for these, STILL asking for over MSRP on a used 3080. Did they miss the memo? "Oh, but I paid $2000 for this, so I need I need I need I need I need I need I need..."

These are dropping like a rock. Anyone not selling now at a low price is just going to get nothing for them.
Oh some will find a buyer right now with so many having to have waited so long and think the price is right. But there will be a lot more coming up on auction soon and then its supply and demand rules. I just wish all those peeps who ordered all those PCs the past year or so and stripped out the video card and resold it for more than the computer and then sold the PC without a card get thier just rewards. They were the true scalpers in my humble opinion and they deserve getting kicked to the curb.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005

All we're going to see until next year is the expensive high-end from AMD and NV. I think they'll be able to continue to sell their 3080's for $4-500 easily.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
All we're going to see until next year is the expensive high-end from AMD and NV. I think they'll be able to continue to sell their 3080's for $4-500 easily.
It all depends on how many miner cards enter the 2nd hand market and how quickly they want to get rid of them. At a certain point they'll run out of people with a higher budget.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

What's funny is the "buy it nows" and "$500 starting bid" cards tend to sit.

But if a seller lists the card for $200 bucks it rises on its own through bidding to $550-600.

eBay has a weird dynamic for sure.

People bidding on AMD cards might be the dimmest bulbs in the socket. 6700xts selling for $350 when new cards from SAPHHIRE are selling for $399.

Similar stuff happening across AMDs stack. Not always the same AIB, but entry to a given performance tier is priced only $50-100 between used and new, which doesn't even include shipping costs.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
It all depends on how many miner cards enter the 2nd hand market and how quickly they want to get rid of them. At a certain point they'll run out of people with a higher budget.

Oh, I dunno. let's say around 3 million 3080s? Over 20 million used GPUs in total maybe? There are millions of current gen and even more millions of older GPUs that can't be mined on anymore. Everyone talks about the crypto cycle and how it will come back around for GPU mining again. That mining "cycle" only happened once as far as I can remember and it was Ethereum both times. That's gone now.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
@moonbogg

Indeed, there is thus no reason for professional miners to hang on to the cards, as no ethereum mining boom will happen ever again. So one would expect a flood.

Frenetic Pony

May 1, 2012
Just saw a 3080 go for <$500 on ebay, at least it looked like it (only minutes left to go, and plenty of other stock). So if you're expecting the low prices, well here they are. Even if someone sniped above 500 that price will soon hit.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Just saw a 3080 go for <$500 on ebay, at least it looked like it (only minutes left to go, and plenty of other stock). So if you're expecting the low prices, well here they are. Even if someone sniped above 500 that price will soon hit.

Minutes left to go doesn't mean much for what the final price will be. You have to look at the sold listings, or wait until the final minute.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

-Nah. Late September - Late November is going to be the golden period. Market might even have some "post nut clarity" out in January/February.

We're balls deep in miners hopping from coin to coin and tanking it (happening to ETHW as we speak), next gen hasn't been announced yet, sellers are still in "I paid $2000 for it so I'm entitled to $1200 for it" phase.

Just passed up a 6800 non-xt for $350 (sellers counteroffer on eBay!) because honestly I expect to be able to pick up a 6800XT/6900XT for $350-400 here in a month's time, and not much more for new.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I don't think anything is profitable right now. I only have 4 gpus atm, and did it as a hobby, really. Mining did allow me to pay off a couple of bills several months early and pay for a nice vacation for the wife and I next month.

With work and other time-suck obligations, I mined the easiest way I could and just pointed my GPUs at Nicehash and it did most of the work for me.
My other son will probably get his card upgraded, too, when he has time to do the swap.

This is the kind of fun hobbyist experience many had with mining as far back as 2010/2011 when it first caught on. It's a shame that the people who rolled out PoW never found a way to effectively limit hardware consolidation. Even if they had, the party would have been over anyway if enough hobbyist miners brought miners online to bloat difficulty and kill profitability. Unless you are CPU mining, it's pretty much over for everyone who is a hobbyist, and even then there are limited targets out there.

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Well, I never brought an used video card before but there is a 1st time! Sort of like gambling!

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
The level of denial I see among more casual miners is interesting. Lots seem to think that they can just mothball their rig and wait it out. They don't get that if many do that, they'll just get a drawn out liquidation process where whenever a coin threatens to become profitable, a few people will start up their rig. So there is no 'waiting it out.'

I wonder when they'll move to the other stages of grief.

Frenetic Pony

May 1, 2012
Man, sunk cost fallacy to the ruin again.

Anyway, checked the "completed" listing, 3080 for $500. The $550 one didn't even sell. Maybe it'll get better over time, or with the new cards coming out next year. But I'm not sure if it'll get that much better.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
The level of denial I see among more casual miners is interesting. Lots seem to think that they can just mothball their rig and wait it out. They don't get that if many do that, they'll just get a drawn out liquidation process where whenever a coin threatens to become profitable, a few people will start up their rig. So there is no 'waiting it out.'

I wonder when they'll move to the other stages of grief.

Might have to convince people that the Money Printer won't be turned back on any time soon.

It also might be awhile before a new card that's cheaper than say $500 is available.