Anyone in the Warhammer Online Beta?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: Xylitol
I feel kinda lame talking about this game. For the record, I've never played the actual Warhammer game and have never bought anything at a hobby shop beyond a few model ships when I was younger

So what, playing tabletop wargames makes you lame? :roll:

Not all of us had the internet, and the only way to play strategy games was to have a warhammer party.

All the time spent painting.... Good times.

anaejkr

Banned
Mar 28, 2008
have been waiting for it for a long time, but have heard that there will be another delay this year.

BadRobot

May 25, 2007
Originally posted by: lupi
This was the intro section of the newsletter sent out today.

On the day we signed the agreement to license Warhammer from Games Workshop, I promised them that we would create a great and glorious game

Mark Jacobs
VP, GM EA Mythic
[/i]

If they are able to actually make big strides in the development of this game, they made a great decision. This is far better than just releasing a terrible game with out even attempting to make it better if they have the chance.

I give them a :thumbsup: for realizing its not ready and trying to make it right.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Originally posted by: Malladine
what are the chances EA as publisher will greedily demand a game to compete with WoW?

EA is the developer of the game as well (they own Mythic).

Even more likely then :(

Originally posted by: Canai
I feel kinda lame talking about this game. For the record, I've never played the actual Warhammer game and have never bought anything at a hobby shop beyond a few model ships when I was younger

So what, playing tabletop wargames makes you lame? :roll:

Not all of us had the internet, and the only way to play strategy games was to have a warhammer party.

All the time spent painting.... Good times.

Yup, warhammer, esp. 40k imo, has a huge amount of lore built up thanks to the enthusiasm of tabletop gamers. It would be really nice if Mythic can avoid messing it up.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Maleficus
Originally posted by: Powernick50
Originally posted by: Lamont Burns
The only developer of this style MMO that could possibly tackle WoW is Blizzard themselves. Until they take another franchise of theirs to MMO status, WoW will dominate alone.

That is to say Warhammer, AoC, may have some subscribers... but nothing near WoW. Nothing even remotely close.

I agree with TheSpeck.

[...]WoW is just too damn good.[...]

This is all the information I needed to know to ignore your post.

Unless you are a lolpvper who hates the WoW pvp system and only played WoW for pvp, I see no reason why you would say that. There is no other MMO out there which provides nearly as much quality fun as WoW atm.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
The only developer of this style MMO that could possibly tackle WoW is Blizzard themselves. Until they take another franchise of theirs to MMO status, WoW will dominate alone.

That is to say Warhammer, AoC, may have some subscribers... but nothing near WoW. Nothing even remotely close.

I agree with TheSpeck.

The World of Diablo they are working on will be the only thing to beat it.

umm are to present any facts about that

arameth

Jul 25, 2003
I expect Warhammer Online to be filler...until the next big thing comes along.

Conan looks promising, but I don't think it will be revolutionary like EQ was.

Best bet: Lots of buzz right now about Kurt Schilling's "38 Studios". He's gathering the dream team (R.A. Salvatore for content, Todd McFarlane for art, etc) to put together a new MMO. They expect delivery in 2010, but I'd guess more like 2011 or later. Website is:

http://www.38studios.com/

No real info on the game itself...code named "Copernicus" I believe.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Originally posted by: Beev
The fact that WAR went from beta BACK to alpha is a sign of a doomed game. I mean, it's good that they knew it sucked and reverted it back, but the fact that it sucked TAHT bad to begin with just proves that the dev's aren't on the right track.

Thank you. The genre and format of the game is completely DOMINATED by WoW no matter what you might think. Only the refreshingly different formats are surviving like EVE online.

Warhammer is honestly a bad redo of WoW..as far as the xp system, skill and crafting system etc.

Personally I think MMORPG's are doomed until blizzard gets nuked, as the next thing up is a DIABLO mmorpg.

I really have been hoping for a game to kill WoW off but it hasn't happened. I touted Auto Assault, Tabula Rasa, CoH as killing WoW but they have slowly bled to death.. Lotro is still hanging on by its cult following but it will soon die as well.

I really really want Warhammer to work..but the sad and honest truth is that it is doomed to fail.

Auto Assault was the biggest pos mmorpg ever released...

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Auto Assault was the biggest pos mmorpg ever released...

I thought it had "Potential" but yes..you are correct..maybe not "ever" released but still it was admittedly pretty poor.

@Anubis

Diablo 3?

Yes, its not as concrete as I'd like it to be, but I believe its a pretty good indicator. What other MMO would blizzard be working on that could be better than WoW? Diablo of course.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Unless you are a lolpvper who hates the WoW pvp system and only played WoW for pvp, I see no reason why you would say that. There is no other MMO out there which provides nearly as much quality fun as WoW atm.

I am a lolpvper. I lolpvp in UT2k4/real games that require skill, not meaningless virtual chatrooms with /emote homosexuality.

WoW has no 'fun', it isn't even a game, it's a job that you pay to work at.

Aug 28, 2006
I will definitely be trying out Warhammer. I had the most fun on an MMORPG while playing DAOC and UO. I had fun plyaing others for a while but got bored fairly quickly (SW, WoW, LOTRO, Vanguard).

I'm looking forward to AOC as well. I was actually hoping Warhammer would be delayed so I wouldn't have to choose one or the other.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: cdmccool
Originally posted by: Drift3r
As for the graphics they are going for a broader audience and trying to match the table top mini's in look. .
Mythic is a great developer so they must have something up their sleeves..I hope.

I played DAoC for 6 years from release, and Mythic is the reason I will not be trying Warhammer.

LoL - You are a shinning testament of why I will be playing WAR. You played DAOC for 6 years? I couldn't even stand WoW for 2 years before I decided it was not for me at all.

As for people passing judgement on a beta IMHO those are the leeches who get into betas expecting to play a "free game" and do not realize how messy and ugly betas can be. Even WoW had people complaining about it's status and issues during beta. To judge a game while it's in beta (especially after the developer has said they want more time to get it right thus are extending the beta ) is just plain stupid. Mythic isn't stupid they know they need a sold release and understand the need for a polished game at launch hence the extension of beta.

Read below for more of an insight as to why they have extended the beta.

http://www.warhammeralliance.c...showthread.php?t=31118

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Originally posted by: Maleficus

I agree with TheSpeck.

[...]WoW is just too damn good.[...]

This is all the information I needed to know to ignore your post.

Only if you believe that chasing a carrot on a stick is fun for the rest of your life.

EVE blows away WoW in terms of game play depth, pvp goodness and overall fun. Of course I'll be the first to admit that it has a rather deep and large learning curve but that is to be expected by a game with a lot of depth to it's game play. WoW is popular because it's easy to get into and it appeals to those who have never played a MMO in their life or do not have high expectations in terms of the depth of game play, especially in pvp and with players contributing to/shaping the in game world via their own actions.

cdmccool

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2006
As for the graphics they are going for a broader audience and trying to match the table top mini's in look. .
Mythic is a great developer so they must have something up their sleeves..I hope.

I played DAoC for 6 years from release, and Mythic is the reason I will not be trying Warhammer.

LoL - You are a shinning testament of why I will be playing WAR. You played DAOC for 6 years? I couldn't even stand WoW for 2 years before I decided it was not for me at all.

I don't understand. What does the fact that I played DAoC for 6 years have to do with anything?

I played WoW for 2 months before I went back to DAoC.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
If you think Warhammer = WoW well then you are sadly mistaken. I suggest you read up on the Warhammer IP and get familar with it as it's a whole lot more gritty and dark then WoW. As for the graphics they are going for a broader audience and trying to match the table top mini's in look. AoC is nice but don't expect 200 people duking it out all at the same time in one area unless you want a slide show. Mythic was smart enough not to make that mistake for a game that is RvR/PvP focused. Though this latest delay in the launch is nice because now I can check out AoC for a while and when Warhammer comes out it won't be a double whammy on the pocket book. Oh and no one is going to tell you much about the beta of this game because it's still in closed beta. Who the hell would want to get kicked out of their beta spot? People have leaked beta info have been tracked down via the in game forum email they used to sign up on in WAR's beta and email they used the forums they leaked info about the game. If you really want info on Warhammer Online go to their official website and view the podcast videos.

people who don't like it and won't play it won't care if their account is suspended or whatever

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: pontifex
If you think Warhammer = WoW well then you are sadly mistaken. I suggest you read up on the Warhammer IP and get familar with it as it's a whole lot more gritty and dark then WoW. As for the graphics they are going for a broader audience and trying to match the table top mini's in look. AoC is nice but don't expect 200 people duking it out all at the same time in one area unless you want a slide show. Mythic was smart enough not to make that mistake for a game that is RvR/PvP focused. Though this latest delay in the launch is nice because now I can check out AoC for a while and when Warhammer comes out it won't be a double whammy on the pocket book. Oh and no one is going to tell you much about the beta of this game because it's still in closed beta. Who the hell would want to get kicked out of their beta spot? People have leaked beta info have been tracked down via the in game forum email they used to sign up on in WAR's beta and email they used the forums they leaked info about the game. If you really want info on Warhammer Online go to their official website and view the podcast videos.

people who don't like it and won't play it won't care if their account is suspended or whatever

It's a freaking closed beta. If someone gets into a closed beta the point is that they are a fan and want to help with debugging in a project. If it were a finished product that someone had to pay for I'd understand this train of thought but it is just plain ridicules to apply to a beta just to see if ..."LOLZ PLAYZ4FREE!". If they don't like a game in it's rawest unfinished state then they should request to give up their spot in beta rather then breaking the NDA that they were asked to abide by when they entered a closed beta.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003

I don't understand. What does the fact that I played DAoC for 6 years have to do with anything?

You don't see how your long playing time in DAOC (A Mythic MMO) basically endorses Mythic as a game developer? Not to mention the fact that you just admitted you went back to DAOC after playing WoW for a measly 2 months. They must be doing something right for you to keep you going back and have played DAOC for 6 years.

Xylitol

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2005

It's a freaking closed beta. If someone gets into a closed beta the point is that they are a fan and want to help with debugging in a project. If it were a finished product that someone had to pay for I'd understand this train of thought but it is just plain ridicules to apply to a beta just to see if ..."LOLZ PLAYZ4FREE!". If they don't like a game in it's rawest unfinished state then they should request to give up their spot in beta rather then breaking the NDA that they were asked to abide by when they entered a closed beta.

Well - how much can they improve their graphics (cause it looks like diablo graphics right
now)?

As much as gameplay is more important than graphics, I could never play mmos like Runescape just cause the graphics are crap and the people are crap. I could however play a game like WoW where the graphics are decent, the people are decent, and the gameplay is great

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003

Well - how much can they improve their graphics (cause it looks like diablo graphics right
now)?

As much as gameplay is more important than graphics, I could never play mmos like Runescape just cause the graphics are crap and the people are crap. I could however play a game like WoW where the graphics are decent, the people are decent, and the gameplay is great

Diablo graphics? You have got to be kidding me right? The graphics in WAR right now are better then WoW's graphics. Maybe not as good as LOTRO in terms of landscape but certainly a notch above WoW and artistically better put together then EQ2 or Vanguard. Sure it doesn't have the highly stylized kiddie cartoon look down like WoW but I find that to be rather boring IMHO. At least WAR has a semblance of realism in it's style unlike WoW. In the end though despite what you say about graphics game play is kingt as long as people are paying to play. In fact the only reason people play Runescape is because it's free unless you want acess to advance stuff there. Runescape is pretty damn lame all around but this isn't a discussion about Runescape.

WAR Mage

http://mythicmktg.fileburst.ne...eenshots/SS0208_01.jpg

vs

WoW Caster

http://www.wowpriests.info/upl.../laneermage-708754.jpg

Xylitol

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2005

now)?

Diablo graphics? You have got to be kidding me right? The graphics in WAR right now are better then WoW's graphics. Maybe not as good as LOTRO in terms of landscape but certainly a notch above WoW and artistically better put together then EQ2 or Vanguard. Sure it doesn't have the highly stylized kiddie cartoon look down like WoW but I find that to be rather boring IMHO. At least WAR has a semblance of realism in it's style unlike WoW. In the end though despite what you say about graphics game play is kingt as long as people are paying to play. In fact the only reason people play Runescape is because it's free unless you want acess to advance stuff there. Runescape is pretty damn lame all around but this isn't a discussion about Runescape.

WAR Mage

vs

WoW Caster

look at the gameplay video on the site that they put up

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
What do graphics matter? i haven't had as much fun in an mmo, almost any game period, than i did in UO back in '97. Ass graphics mean nothing next to great gameplay.

But back then those were good graphics...

Warhammer does look like a half warmed over Dx8 game at this point.

I agree unless its fantastic in playablity and gets raves.. I wont be playing it based on that alone..

WoW plays fantastic in huge amounts of people PVPing and Raiding.. if it doesn't then look at your PC thats the problem.
With X64 and 1 gig graphics cards becoming the norm with gamers why cant they make a pretty game and still have good RVR..

WoW did.. and still looks fantastic and its now 5 years old since Alpha.

AOC looks fantastic and it did weigh on my new machine specs as I want max graphics and max frame rates in AOC.

I agree the above post was a total cop out.

The game looks bland.. hell from what Ive seen on thier site and on the released videos Ive seen last gen games look way better.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004

now)?

WAR Mage

vs

WoW Caster

That is a VERY low level non epiced caster on the char page which doesnt have all the affects the engine grants in game.

Now look at the ground and the trees around your War caster.. looks like hammered ass.

Ill take WoWs lush cartoonie but very detailed graphics over that crap any day of the week on graphics alone..

Lots of time spent on char models is not as important as lots of time and detail (and DX10) affects in a next gen MMO should be mandatory...

sorry but the landscape in WAR look like 3 gens ago.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: CVSiN
What do graphics matter? i haven't had as much fun in an mmo, almost any game period, than i did in UO back in '97. Ass graphics mean nothing next to great gameplay.

I agree unless its fantastic in playablity and gets raves.. I wont be playing it based on that alone..

WoW plays fantastic in huge amounts of people PVPing and Raiding.. if it doesn't then look at your PC thats the problem.
With X64 and 1 gig graphics cards becoming the norm with gamers why cant they make a pretty game and still have good RVR..

AOC looks fantastic and it did weigh on my new machine specs as I want max graphics and max frame rates in AOC.

The game looks bland.. hell from what Ive seen on thier site and on the released videos Ive seen last gen games look way better.

WoW has no real substantial form of RvR as it is traditionally known and practiced. All WoW has is instanced pvp /carrot on a stick grinds but nothing approaching what was seen in DAOC or what will be seen in WAR. World pvp in WoW is dead (besides the few random lone ganks) there is no reason to pvp outside of instanced BGs.

Sorry but I myself require a little bit more then a simplistic carrot on instanced stick approach ftoward pvp in a MMO. As for your previous comment about graphics and it relating to WAR well I never saw anything worth raving about in WoW's low polygon graphics. The world was done in a highly stylized cartoon manner and the big football player shoulder pad gear was childish but not overwhelming to the eye in terms of sheer graphics awesomeness. WoW graphics aren't what I would ever call cutting edge or jaw dropping. Sorry but I've seen better and WAR is better even while it' still in BETA and being worked on. AoC has stunning graphics but again it won't matter because it'll turn any rig that isn't a hardcore gaming rig into a slide show once you start getting a massive amounts of people on the screen pvping.

cdmccool

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2006

You don't see how your long playing time in DAOC (A Mythic MMO) basically endorses Mythic as a game developer? Not to mention the fact that you just admitted you went back to DAOC after playing WoW for a measly 2 months. They must be doing something right for you to keep you going back and have played DAOC for 6 years.

Don't misunderstand me, I had a blast playing DAoC, but Mythic made some big mistakes and now I just kind of feel like, "not again". Also, I don't like the general direction they chose to take the game. The latest patch was basically a copy/paste job across all 3 realms, and they just keep making the game easier and easier. DAoC has changed drastically in 6 years mostly for worse, and that's why I will not be trying WAR. I just don't share their vision of what makes a MMORPG good.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: CVSiN

WoW has no real substantial form of RvR as it is traditionally known and practiced. All WoW has is instanced pvp /carrot on a stick grinds but nothing approaching what was seen in DAOC or what will be seen in WAR. World pvp in WoW is dead (besides the few random lone ganks) there is no reason to pvp outside of instanced BGs.

Sorry but I myself require a little bit more then a simplistic carrot on instanced stick approach ftoward pvp in a MMO. As for your previous comment about graphics and it relating to WAR well I never saw anything worth raving about in WoW's low polygon graphics. The world was done in a highly stylized cartoon manner and the big football player shoulder pad gear was childish but not overwhelming to the eye in terms of sheer graphics awesomeness. WoW graphics aren't what I would ever call cutting edge or jaw dropping. Sorry but I've seen better and WAR is better even while it' still in BETA and being worked on. AoC has stunning graphics but again it won't matter because it'll turn any rig that isn't a hardcore gaming rig into a slide show once you start getting a massive amounts of people on the screen pvping.

I played DOAC from Beta up till Atlantis.. and let me tell ya.. the RVR was abysimal it was a grind in itself.
The ONLY thing that kept me playing that game was the addition of the combined PVE server.
and then Atlantis killed it as well..

Mythic cant write a good game to save their lives.. why someone would trust them with such a good license as WAR is beyond me.

might as well let Turbine ruin another game.. about the same chances for success.

and BTW... Engines dont change in beta.. what you see now is what they will launch with.

Coming from an MMO vet from the days of UO beta.. Ive tested pretty much every MMO to come to market thus far.
even failed ones such as Earth and beyond..
and NONE of them made a substantial engine change this far into beta.

You want PVP that requires real skill.. try 5v5 Arenas..
thats where competitive skill based PVP is going.