Anyone in the Warhammer Online Beta?

Xylitol

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2005
Are the graphics as bad as the videos make them look like?
As much as I'd like to be into this game cause the idea of a more modern version of WoW is interesting, the game graphics look crummy which is kinda annoying.

Even though graphics aren't very important, I expected a game newer than WoW to look better than WoW.

If you're in the beta, let me know what your opinions of it are like (since the game's expected to come out in June of this year according to Amazon.

Thanks

Xylitol

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2005
I feel kinda lame talking about this game. For the record, I've never played the actual Warhammer game and have never bought anything at a hobby shop beyond a few model ships when I was younger

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
If you think Warhammer = WoW well then you are sadly mistaken. I suggest you read up on the Warhammer IP and get familar with it as it's a whole lot more gritty and dark then WoW. As for the graphics they are going for a broader audience and trying to match the table top mini's in look. AoC is nice but don't expect 200 people duking it out all at the same time in one area unless you want a slide show. Mythic was smart enough not to make that mistake for a game that is RvR/PvP focused. Though this latest delay in the launch is nice because now I can check out AoC for a while and when Warhammer comes out it won't be a double whammy on the pocket book. Oh and no one is going to tell you much about the beta of this game because it's still in closed beta. Who the hell would want to get kicked out of their beta spot? People have leaked beta info have been tracked down via the in game forum email they used to sign up on in WAR's beta and email they used the forums they leaked info about the game. If you really want info on Warhammer Online go to their official website and view the podcast videos.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Drift3r
As for the graphics they are going for a broader audience and trying to match the table top mini's in look. .

That is SUCH a cop out.

At any rate, the beta was horrible. If you were a hard core warhammer buff, or you haven't played WoW then I would say definately. For me it was like all the boring things of WoW with no reward system really. The animations are dull and attacks extremely repetitive, even more so than WoW.

I may still pick up a copy after the first major update after it launches. Mythic is a great developer so they must have something up their sleeves..I hope.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I am not in the beta, but I am subscribed to the newsletter, said it was delayed until fall 2008 to make improvements.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
What do graphics matter? i haven't had as much fun in an mmo, almost any game period, than i did in UO back in '97. Ass graphics mean nothing next to great gameplay.

TheSpeck

Oct 9, 2004
i was intrigued by WAR for awhile, but the more beta info that surfaces the more it seems like it will be a disappointment.

MMO genre needs a new format. The kill mobs for xp to level to get to max level for raiding or PVP just isn't cutting it.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
The fact that WAR went from beta BACK to alpha is a sign of a doomed game. I mean, it's good that they knew it sucked and reverted it back, but the fact that it sucked THAT bad to begin with just proves that the dev's aren't on the right track.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Beev
The fact that WAR went from beta BACK to alpha is a sign of a doomed game. I mean, it's good that they knew it sucked and reverted it back, but the fact that it sucked TAHT bad to begin with just proves that the dev's aren't on the right track.

Thank you. The genre and format of the game is completely DOMINATED by WoW no matter what you might think. Only the refreshingly different formats are surviving like EVE online.

Warhammer is honestly a bad redo of WoW..as far as the xp system, skill and crafting system etc.

Personally I think MMORPG's are doomed until blizzard gets nuked, as the next thing up is a DIABLO mmorpg.

I really have been hoping for a game to kill WoW off but it hasn't happened. I touted Auto Assault, Tabula Rasa, CoH as killing WoW but they have slowly bled to death.. Lotro is still hanging on by its cult following but it will soon die as well.

I really really want Warhammer to work..but the sad and honest truth is that it is doomed to fail.

Xylitol

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Powernick50
Originally posted by: Beev
The fact that WAR went from beta BACK to alpha is a sign of a doomed game. I mean, it's good that they knew it sucked and reverted it back, but the fact that it sucked TAHT bad to begin with just proves that the dev's aren't on the right track.

Thank you. The genre and format of the game is completely DOMINATED by WoW no matter what you might think. Only the refreshingly different formats are surviving like EVE online.

Warhammer is honestly a bad redo of WoW..as far as the xp system, skill and crafting system etc.

Personally I think MMORPG's are doomed until blizzard gets nuked, as the next thing up is a DIABLO mmorpg.

I really have been hoping for a game to kill WoW off but it hasn't happened. I touted Auto Assault, Tabula Rasa, CoH as killing WoW but they have slowly bled to death.. Lotro is still hanging on by its cult following but it will soon die as well.

I really really want Warhammer to work..but the sad and honest truth is that it is doomed to fail.

Ah ok. I kinda was hoping that Warhammer would be like WoW but with cooler features and stuff. Also, I really wanted to start a game from its release instead of jumping in after a year of two of its release (what I did in WoW) since you don't have a a headstart ahead of others

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
My friend got into the Warhammer beta last year. He played for about 2 weeks, and only stayed that two weeks because of an "exploit" he found that allowed him to become one of the most powerful players on the server at a very low level. When he petitioned to inform about it, the devs said the exploit was fine, as it was a creative way of using game mechanics.

He got bored with the game really quickly - PvP (aka DAOC's RvR system) isn't anything new. It's basically a rehashed version of DAoC with the Warhammer universe and a new coat of paint.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Xylitol

Ah ok. I kinda was hoping that Warhammer would be like WoW but with cooler features and stuff. Also, I really wanted to start a game from its release instead of jumping in after a year of two of its release (what I did in WoW) since you don't have a a headstart ahead of others

If you are looking for the "next gen WoW" then don't bother with Warhammer or at least wait until it's release. Taking a stab in the dark based on what I have heard and read, a great way to compare WoW with Warhammer would be to say that WoW is designed to be a PvE MMO with PvP slapped on top while Warhammer is a PvP MMO with PvE slapped on top. The people from the WoW community which will switch to Warhammer and be happy are the ones who play WoW primarily to PvP and are very unsatisfied. That is, assuming Warhammer really does turn out to be a success when it comes to delivering a quality PvP MMO which there is no way to tell at this point.

Engraver

Jun 5, 2007
I'm not in the beta, but if I was, I would tell you how bad the graphics are. Which, if I was in the beta, wouldn't be a big deal, since gameplay>graphics. Even then, I would have to break the news to you about how extremely disappointing the gameplay is.

This is all *cough* hypothetical of course.

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002
The only developer of this style MMO that could possibly tackle WoW is Blizzard themselves. Until they take another franchise of theirs to MMO status, WoW will dominate alone.

That is to say Warhammer, AoC, may have some subscribers... but nothing near WoW. Nothing even remotely close.

I agree with TheSpeck.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Lamont Burns
The only developer of this style MMO that could possibly tackle WoW is Blizzard themselves. Until they take another franchise of theirs to MMO status, WoW will dominate alone.

That is to say Warhammer, AoC, may have some subscribers... but nothing near WoW. Nothing even remotely close.

I agree with TheSpeck.

Yup. WoW is just too damn good. I hate to say it since I got burnt out after 3 years and there are NO alternatives.

The World of Diablo they are working on will be the only thing to beat it. Honestly, if you want a fun game try Orange box and start playing HL:2 mods..Its been my game to ween me off of WoW and now I'm WoW free.

Alot of my friends are still hoping for Warhammer but honestly..I don't think there will be a good game *worth* buying until I see Starcraft 2 or Spore hit the shelves.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Engraver
I'm not in the beta, but if I was, I would tell you how bad the graphics are. Which, if I was in the beta, wouldn't be a big deal, since gameplay>graphics. Even then, I would have to break the news to you about how extremely disappointing the gameplay is.

This is all *cough* hypothetical of course.

That's is *cough* the funniest thing I've read today *cough*... hypothetically of course. :beer:

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Lamont Burns

I agree with TheSpeck.

[...]WoW is just too damn good.[...]

This is all the information I needed to know to ignore your post.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
This was the intro section of the newsletter sent out today.

On the day we signed the agreement to license Warhammer from Games Workshop, I promised them that we would create a great and glorious game, a truly next-generation MMORPG. Today, I have news to report; we are going to delay the release of WAR until Fall 2008. While we do not expect this announcement to be met with fanfare and cheering crowds; the additional time will be spent hammering WAR into an even better game that it is today.

During the most recent phase of beta testing, two things have become clear. One was that our key innovations - Public Quests, Tome of Knowledge and Realm vs. Realm combat - were all coming along extremely well, as was the first stage of our innovative crafting system. The second, that the game would benefit from additional iteration time as well as adding a layer of polish or two. Fortunately, as part of Electronic Arts, we are able to do just that.

While I have no doubt that the community will experience a wide range of emotions over this decision, I urge you to remember one thing (and to keep the tar cold and the feathers on the birds), that our goal has never been to release a game by a certain date but to release a great Warhammer MMORPG. We have not wavered from this goal and with the full support of Games Workshop, GOA and Electronic Arts we intend to release a glorious next-generation MMORPG.

As always, I thank the community for its support, patronage and its patience.

Mark Jacobs
VP, GM EA Mythic

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
It will be interesting to see if Mythic can pull this off. I played DAoC off and on for something like four years, and like a lot of other fans of that game WoW, which I played for a year, just didn't cut it. It was fun until I had seen most of the world and the only thing left was either to join some uber raiding guild, level another character to 60, or just uninstall. I chose the latter.

Nobody has done RvR like Mythic... or maybe nobody but Mythic has ever really done RvR. I'd love to see them do it again, but if they have even the smallest aspiration hidden in the back of their minds about competing with WoW, then the game will likely suck. There just isn't as big a market for RvR as there is for role-playing sexually confused dark elves.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
what are the chances EA as publisher will greedily demand a game to compete with WoW?

Agreed they shouldn't attempt that...sounds weird but IMO WoW's entire gameplay model is flawed, from a gaming, fun, perspective. From a "keep em plugging along as long as we can" perspective they no doubt hit the spot.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Malladine
what are the chances EA as publisher will greedily demand a game to compete with WoW?

EA is the developer of the game as well (they own Mythic).

cdmccool

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2006
Originally posted by: Drift3r
As for the graphics they are going for a broader audience and trying to match the table top mini's in look. .
Mythic is a great developer so they must have something up their sleeves..I hope.

I played DAoC for 6 years from release, and Mythic is the reason I will not be trying Warhammer.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
I played DAOC from release to, had the best Animist in game till i sold him for $800. DAOC was a GREAT game, it had some flaws like ToA, but overall it was a good MMO.

I for once can't stand WoW, its boring, repetitive, has no PvP really, graphics are lackluster. Its not openended at all.