Anyone exctied about Empire: Total War???

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: tigersty1e
I'm not going through 7 pages of threads, but it looks like land armies can fight sea based navies.

Cool.

Uh, no that's not true. :confused:

I think some people would like that, but I just don't see it happening.

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: TehMac
I'm not going through 7 pages of threads, but it looks like land armies can fight sea based navies.

Cool.

If you look at one of the trailers, it looks like a land based army fighting a navy army... or at least some artillary attacking some ships.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
What's this crap I just read about the game requiring steam to run whether you d/l or buy the boxed version?

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006

Cool.

If you look at one of the trailers, it looks like a land based army fighting a navy army... or at least some artillary attacking some ships.

I'm not sure which trailer you're referring to, but CA has explicityly stated navy/army coordination is simply not possible with the current engine/technological issues.

They did express interest in it, but said "ETW isn't the game for it," suggesting it will appear perhaps in the future. I'd like that, but again, engine support would be difficult.

Originally posted by: lupi
What's this crap I just read about the game requiring steam to run whether you d/l or buy the boxed version?

Instead of DRM, CA/SEGA are going to require STEAM, of course they'll support offline mode as well, but my guess is that they spent a lot of money on this, they don't want the damn thing to be pirated. Tbh, I'm ok with it, it's better than giving a shitload of DRM on its ass.

Also, so far 8 playable factions have been confirmed.
France, Great Britain, Sweden, Ottoman Empire, United Provinces (Dutch), Russia, Spain, Prussia

I bolded all the ones I thought were iffy. So far the list seems pretty solid, and the Road to Independence Trailer showed the player playing as the Austrian Empire (I think its the Austrians) so I think they're in as well.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
As i've grown old and decrepit, I no longer wait anxiously for games. Two exceptions to my curmudgeon status however: Starcraft 2 (finally) and ANY TOTAL WAR game.

However, I do have one fear: Generally, the way I play strategy games, I tend to do better with lower tech traditional infantry/calvary type setups. I owned Rome: Total War in a way i didn't quite in Medieval. I don't know how I'll adjust with the more modern type of warfare.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I'm just waiting for ETW to launch and then I'm going to buy it through Steam. Likely, I'm going to ignore that Elite Units pack though. 20 dollars for 5(?) special units is a waste. If it was 5 USD or less, I might jump on it though.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

Instead of DRM, CA/SEGA are going to require STEAM, of course they'll support offline mode as well, but my guess is that they spent a lot of money on this, they don't want the damn thing to be pirated. Tbh, I'm ok with it, it's better than giving a shitload of DRM on its ass.

you do realize steam is a DRM.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006

In a way, but it is beyond that. I have no problem with Steam, it is far better than gamespy, considering they're using Steamworks to host MP games, so into every life a little rain must fall.

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001

It's a much lesser evil to the alternative. Unlimited installs through STEAM works for me.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

In a way, but it is beyond that. I have no problem with Steam, it is far better than gamespy, considering they're using Steamworks to host MP games, so into every life a little rain must fall.

Then just don't complain about another companies DRM as at the root of it, they're all still a DRM.

Hugh H

Jul 11, 2008
Originally posted by: Bateluer
I'm just waiting for ETW to launch and then I'm going to buy it through Steam. Likely, I'm going to ignore that Elite Units pack though. 20 dollars for 5(?) special units is a waste. If it was 5 USD or less, I might jump on it though.

Sorry if you already knew... but if you pre-buy E:TW now through Steam you get Rome: Total War Gold Edition for free.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Hugh H

Sorry if you already knew... but if you pre-buy E:TW now through Steam you get Rome: Total War Gold Edition for free.

That was a limited time offer, for the first week ETW was up for preorder, its not advertised any more.

Hugh H

Jul 11, 2008

That was a limited time offer, for the first week ETW was up for preorder, its not advertised any more.

Well, I just got it yesterday and I have Rome: TW already installed. You have to click on the game offer (E:TW) and scroll down and it will say that it comes with R:TW for free. It is not apparently visible, but it is there.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001

Well, I just got it yesterday and I have Rome: TW already installed. You have to click on the game offer (E:TW) and scroll down and it will say that it comes with R:TW for free. It is not apparently visible, but it is there.

I am unable to actually verify this right now because after I applied the most recent Steam client update, I am unable access the Steam store. It just sits at a blank white page.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Then just don't complain about another companies DRM as at the root of it, they're all still a DRM.

Ok, sure, but it's useful DRM, and I don't recall myself complaining. :confused:

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
What's the deal with the $20 E:TW Elites? There's already a 20 dollar addon that's being sold? Isn't that a bit absurd? :p

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Ok, I'll buy the "special forces" edition when it's $49, maybe $59 if it lives up to itself (I've paid that before).

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Very interesting that it did, PC Gamer said it's: Immense, Intricate, Intensely detailed, and that it's not: Easily Mastered, Just a "quick go," and "it's not done yet."

No mention anywhere about bugs, which if I recall, was the a huge gripe about Medieval 2, so I have great hope!

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
I'm quite excited about this game.....really been waiting for this era for a long long time!!!

Alex C

Jul 7, 2008

I am unable to actually verify this right now because after I applied the most recent Steam client update, I am unable access the Steam store. It just sits at a blank white page.

I just pre-ordered it and it came with Rome.

Never tried any of the Total War series, but two games for $50 sounded like a decent deal and the screen shots of Empire looked awesome. Hope it's good.

elee3

Jan 10, 2009
Man I can't wait for this game. I just recently build a new computer for this game, plus I fractured my foot and was spending way too much time on the internet shopping.