Anyone ever snarf other peoples pizza at Chuck E Cheese?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
How very specific.

Apparently I was wrong about Papa John's. I looked up the list of ingredients and it looks decent. I guess it takes extra skill to male it bad.

Bulk purchase seems to be the main chain advantage. Using pre shredded cheese is cheaper as well

Reactions: Pohemi

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Apparently I was wrong about Papa John's. I looked up the list of ingredients and it looks decent. I guess it takes extra skill to male it bad.

Bulk purchase seems to be the main chain advantage. Using pre shredded cheese is cheaper as well
Yes I am asking for the science behind this "extra skill" required to make pizza "bad."

Feb 4, 2009
No but I do remember their pizza being better than expected.
Working off memory here it has been a long time since I took my Nieces there.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
What kind of fillers are cheaper than flour and canned crushed tomatoes?

Cheap flour and cheap crushed tomatoes?

Seriously though ... if you can't taste the difference between them then trying to explain nuances of "flavor" is pointless.

Yes I am asking for the science behind this "extra skill" required to make pizza "bad."

Definition of incompetent

1a: lacking the qualities needed for effective action
b: unable to function properly .. incompetent heart valves
2: not legally qualified
3: inadequate to or unsuitable for a particular purpose

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
No but I do remember their pizza being better than expected.
Working off memory here it has been a long time since I took my Nieces there.

Papa Johns is pretty crappy compared to a good local place, however side by side with Dominos or Little Caesars it suddenly doesn't look all that bad.

Thing is though the STAFF preparing the pizza also makes a huge difference unless we're talking "freezer to oven" level.

It's fully possible to make disgusting pizza with the best ingredients money can buy!

Feb 4, 2009
Papa Johns is pretty crappy compared to a good local place, however side by side with Dominos or Little Caesars it suddenly doesn't look all that bad.

Thing is though the STAFF preparing the pizza also makes a huge difference unless we're talking "freezer to oven" level.

It's fully possible to make disgusting pizza with the best ingredients money can buy!

Never been to Papa Johns. One opened near me years ago but it opened around his protests about giving healthcare to workers and it costing 25 cents per pizza or some silly number.
Without going all P&N I simply didn’t want to support a business like that so I never ordered anything.
I was talking Chuck E Cheese.

Reactions: Captante

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Seriously though ... if you can't taste the difference between them then trying to explain nuances of "flavor" is pointless.
Okay buddy...

Definition of incompetent

1a: lacking the qualities needed for effective action
b: unable to function properly .. incompetent heart valves
2: not legally qualified
3: inadequate to or unsuitable for a particular purpose
Okay buddy...
Good flour is fucking cheap. Good canned tomatoes are fucking cheap. Please do us a favor and explain how whatever cheap chain pizza dough making process is "incompetent." It shouldn't be too hard for you to explain since you are so qualified to speak on it.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Except Papa John's costs twice as much as Little Caesar's, and that's me comparing the Extra Most Bestest, not the cheapest pizza at LC. Between that and PJ being a shithead, it's easy to pass on PJs. I'd only have to spend $3-4 more than PJs to get some good local pizza.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

Wouldn't be surprised if a little soy and corn are tossed in there.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
What kind of fillers are cheaper than flour and canned crushed tomatoes?
You can read about the quality of pizza cheese - the most expensive part of a pizza - here. https://www.forbes.com/sites/chloes...pizza-hut-dominos-papa-johns/?sh=3ccba4424958.

This should give you an idea of why cheap pizza tastes different than pizza made at a gourmet restaurant. The cheese retailer for Domino's, Papa John, Pizza Hut is using science to age the cheese faster and is spraying a coating on the cheese so it lasts longer. These types of processes come at the expense of better and more fresh taste. Fresh, 14-day aged cheese will always taste better than 4-hour aged cheese that has been flash frozen and sprayed with "preservative mist."

Reactions: Zorba

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Reactions: Zorba

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
You can read about the "quality" of pizza cheese here. https://www.forbes.com/sites/chloes...pizza-hut-dominos-papa-johns/?sh=3ccba4424958. This should give you an idea of why cheap pizza tastes different than pizza made at a gourmet shop. The cheese retailer for Domino's, Papa John, Pizza Hut is using science to age the cheese faster and spraying a coating on the cheese so it lasts longer. These types of processes come at the expense of better and more fresh taste. Fresh, 14-day aged cheese will always taste better than 4-hour aged cheese that has been flash frozen and sprayed with preservative mist.
Yes, cheese is by far the most expensive part of any pizza, but you can still get very good quality shredded mozz. for roughly $0.80/pizza. No, it won't taste as good as pizza made with gourmet cheese, but does that make the pizza "shitty"? I'd also be willing to bet that 95% of people who criticize pizza quality wouldn't be able to tell the difference between $0.80 cheese and "4-hour aged cheese that has been flash frozen and sprayed with preservative mist."

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Yes, cheese is by far the most expensive part of any pizza, but you can still get very good quality shredded mozz. for roughly $0.80/pizza. No, it won't taste as good as pizza made with gourmet cheese, but does that make the pizza "shitty"?
Yes. Pizza from Chuck-E-Cheese is shitty. When you cut corner after corner to lower the price, you end up with a shitty product, whether its food or something else.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Here is another good example. Pizza dough was traditionally made with olive oil but many large pizza restaurants now use less costly soybean oil. Soybean oil has little to no taste. Restaurants that substitute soybean oil for olive oil are removing an oil with a distinct flavor profile and replacing it with something that has no taste at all. https://www.pmq.com/choosing-the-right-oils-for-your-frying-finishing-baking-and-sauting-needs-
/
Great, but calling olive-oil pizza "great" and non-olive-oil pizza "shitty" is ridiculous hyperbole. Are all breads not flavored with olive oil shitty? Are we appealing to tradition? Are people who maybe don't like olive oil shitty people? I think the cost per pizza for olive oil is in the neighborhood of $0.008.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Yes. Pizza from Chuck-E-Cheese is shitty. When you cut corner after corner to lower the price, you end up with a shitty product, whether its food or something else.
I wouldn't know. I haven't had it since the early 90s and I doubt it's the same as it was back then. I bet it tastes just fucking fine though. It's bread and sauce and cheese.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Can someone please explain the science behind bad pizza? I always hear people saying this pizza sucks or isn't real pizza or whatever, but then they point to an example of good pizza and it's flour/water/touch of oil + canned crushed tomatoes + bag of mozz. cheese. It seems to me it would take a tremendous amount of treasure and effort to fuck that up, aside from burning the fucking thing.
If the place has the belt driven pizza oven, then the pizza is very likely going to be undercooked or have skimpy toppings. The timing is designed to not burn the pizza no matter what so if you add toppings, they either don't get cooked or the folks applying the toppings cut back the amount of each topping.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
(not to be a buzzkill but...) I have an elderly relative who hovered at food courts and ate leftover food. The vendors were very nice and served him freshly-made food. He was then placed in a nursing home, Alzheim

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
If the place has the belt driven pizza oven, then the pizza is very likely going to be undercooked or have skimpy toppings. The timing is designed to not burn the pizza no matter what so if you add toppings, they either don't get cooked or the folks applying the toppings cut back the amount of each topping.
Yes I can see undercooking being a problem like overcooking, but your skimpy topping comment raises another problem with people who feel qualified to judge what is or is not shitty pizza. Plenty of pizza snobs insist toppings should be minimal to non-existent. It's all bullshit.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
... problem with people who feel qualified to judge what is or is not shitty pizza.
All sentient beings who have tasted at least one pizza are qualified to judge what is or is not shitty pizza. Truly shitty pizza is pretty rare, IMHO. Shit on a pizza crust that isn't really pizza but folks try to pass off as pizza is all too common.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Yes I can see undercooking being a problem like overcooking, but your skimpy topping comment raises another problem with people who feel qualified to judge what is or is not shitty pizza. Plenty of pizza snobs insist toppings should be minimal to non-existent. It's all bullshit.

Methinks thou art taking thyself JUST a smidgeon too seriously? ;)

why-so-serious.jpg

Also having baked with many different brands of flour AND made sauce with many brands of canned/crushed tomatoes, I can state with absolute certainty that there are very obvious differences in quality, freshness and in the flavor they provide.

I wouldn't know. I haven't had it since the early 90s and I doubt it's the same as it was back then. I bet it tastes just fucking fine though. It's bread and sauce and cheese.

If I were you I would avoid wagering on this. ;)

(Unless you were the type to enjoy school-lunch pizza because then you might actually believe it ... HEY its just "bread, sauce and cheese" ROTFL)

This may come as a shock to you BUT really good Marinara sauce for example is no doubt a simple recipe, however more folks still screw it up horribly than get it right very likely because they can't taste the difference!

Last edited:

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Can someone please explain the science behind bad pizza? I always hear people saying this pizza sucks or isn't real pizza or whatever, but then they point to an example of good pizza and it's flour/water/touch of oil + canned crushed tomatoes + bag of mozz. cheese. It seems to me it would take a tremendous amount of treasure and effort to fuck that up, aside from burning the fucking thing.
Reminds me of a saying I heard long time ago.

Pizza is a lot like sex.
When it's good, it's very, very good.
When it's bad, it's still pretty good.

Reactions: Zorba and dank69