Anyone else get a Catleap?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
After reading about this for a few days I'm even more confused. There are several different companies making all different models, they are all written in broken english so there is no good way to differentiate them and they all seem to be coming from fairly dodgy resellers. Don't even really have a grasp on this and definitely not feeling confident enough in any of this to make a purchase..but I'm interested.

mple

Oct 10, 2011
There's a wealth of information over at the OCN forums in the display subforum. Sellers that have a great track record include green-sum and dcsamsungmall. I hear some sellers even offer to check the panel for defects before shipping out. You do have to pay first before he opens and inspects your monitor though.

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
Day 3, beat normal mode Diablo 3, so logged some hours in already with it.

I must say this is the best thing i have bought in awhile, the game looks and plays so great at 2560x1440 with everything maxed out, same with Tera.

My other one should be here tomorrow or the next day.

It looks night and day difference from my 23" Dell Monitor i was using for gaming.

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
Anyone know if a 460 can run these? Roommate has one, does it have the right DVI port to run these or does he need to upgrade?

Joseph F

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2010
The ocean of posters at OC and elsewhere have said pixel perfect is worthless. They don't actually check it for you despite saying they do. It's worth something if they will pay return shipping to fix dead pixels, I guess? Anyway, air delivery usually takes 3-5 business days.

I have that model. You will receive an AC adapter (aka "power brick") that is good for 120 or 240V. But the included detachable cord that runs from the brick to your wall outlet is no good for USA sockets; it ends in an international plug. Luckily you can plug your existing monitor's cord (or PSU cord) into the adapter instead. But now you can't use your existing monitor or PSU. I suppose that's the same situation people find themselves in when buying the Antec Green PSU though (which tells you to re-use your existing PSU's cord, lol): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371033 Alternatively you can buy an international-to-USA socket adapter (I have one, due to wanting to charge my phone and camera when traveling overseas), but I don't want to burden that cheap Chinese-made adapter 24/7, so I just used my old monitor's plug instead.

Why are you bitching so much about the power cable? You could probably walk into any local computer shop, and walk out with 10 of them for a dollar.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Why are you bitching so much about the power cable? You could probably walk into any local computer shop, and walk out with 10 of them for a dollar.

Are you always this uncharismatic? What is wrong with you that you called what I wrote "bitching"? It's a real issue and I was informing people of FREE or cheap ($2 for the international adapter) workarounds, rather than buying the $24 adapter on ebay like some people suggested on other forums. Or buying a $10 cord like you're suggesting. (Edit: misread you to say $10 for one, not 10 for 10. Even if you could find them at that price, which I doubt considering how much of a markup my local PC parts stores charge, free is still cheaper than ANY dollar amount.)

Last edited:

Joseph F

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2010
Are you always this uncharismatic? What is wrong with you that you called what I wrote "bitching"? It's a real issue and I was informing people of FREE or cheap ($2 for the international adapter) workarounds, rather than buying the $24 adapter on ebay like some people suggested on other forums. Or buying a $10 cord like you're suggesting.

http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2009/3/15/128816193246706286.jpg

Insults are not allowed in VC&G.

Administrator Idontcare

Last edited by a moderator:

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
Anyone know if a 460 can run these? Roommate has one, does it have the right DVI port to run these or does he need to upgrade?

The GTX 460 can run it for sure at 2560x1440p... he may have to tone down some settings though and his frames per second may be lower if he wants to keep some settings high/ultra... You can always make adjustments for better fps...

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I was considering the Hazro brand from UK, but now I leaning towards the Samsung S27A850T or waiting for the S27B970. I would really like Dell, HP, LG and Samsung to show of their 2012 line of 27" IPS monitors.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Just wait, you'll get it eventually. :thumbsup:

Skimmed your post history. Did not see much adding of value to threads, and your attitude shines through loud and clear. Congrats, you're the first forumer I've ever ignored at any forum going back several years.

Hi,

Next time, please do not engage people like this, even if you believe you are completely in the right or are the "aggrieved party". It just adds to the existing thread derail. Just report them and forget them.

Just a friendly reminder, for you and everybody, for future reference.

Moderator jvroig

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
The GTX 460 can run it for sure at 2560x1440p... he may have to tone down some settings though and his frames per second may be lower if he wants to keep some settings high/ultra... You can always make adjustments for better fps...

Thanks, do you know off hand if it has the DVI port on the 460 that is need for the monitor? The higher pin one?

Thanks

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Thanks, do you know off hand if it has the DVI port on the 460 that is need for the monitor? The higher pin one?

Thanks

Unless the monitor comes with anything other than a DVI-D connector, you must use the DVI-D connector (either one) to link the monitor to the 460. VGA or HDMI don't count. Displayport does count but I don't think 460s come with those anyway, plus you would need an expensive dual-link adapter ($80+).

Images of DVI-D port: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Last edited:

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
Dual Link was the one i was thinking. At work and can't tell if the 460 has the Dual link or not to hook it up.

Thanks

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Dual Link was the one i was thinking. At work and can't tell if the 460 has the Dual link or not to hook it up.

Thanks

They are pretty much all dual-link DVI-Ds these days. Even my ancient 6800XT had a pair of dual link DVI-Ds IIRC.

(Edit: Meant to say dual-link DVI-Ds at the end of the sentence up there; fixed it.)

Last edited:

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
I'm gonna look into getting a bigger armoire so I can get one of these displays. They look awesome.

felang

Feb 17, 2007
So I went ahead and ordered the Acheiva Shimian "perfect pixel" (even if they don´t actually check the monitor it was only an extra $15 so I went for it). Total cost $319.99. I ordered Monday night and it arrived in Florida at about 11:00 a.m. today (shipped by DHL). Less than 48 hour turnaround, ordered from Red Cap BTW.

Now I have to wait about a week for my freight forwarder to get it from FL to Central America where I live. I´ll be sure to update my post with my opinion once I get it.

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
You will love it, currently waiting on my 2nd one which i promptly ordered after i got my first.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
After reading about this for a few days I'm even more confused. There are several different companies making all different models, they are all written in broken english so there is no good way to differentiate them and they all seem to be coming from fairly dodgy resellers. Don't even really have a grasp on this and definitely not feeling confident enough in any of this to make a purchase..but I'm interested.

I would not call these Korean resellers dodgy. First of all they all have 99.5% or better reseller ratings and beyond that Koreans are very honorable ppl.

All you need to know is they all use same panel with similar or same electronics - so you are left between choosing superlatives like all metal construction of Crossover or pivot/hight stand of Crossover - or cheap in Shimian or Catleap - or Small bezel like Crossover and Catleap - or reported lowest lag by a little PCBANK. etc etc etc

I'd rate them like this

1. Crossover pivot model - smaller bezel, good Vesa stand, aluminum and metal construction. $370
2. Catleap base model - Cheap, many models/options, smaller bezel, but wobbly stand and all plastic - $320
3. PCBANK - lowest lag (12ms vs 15 for others) looks like ass and stand is low $310
4. Shimain - not very attractive, rounded bezel - $300

If you don't need a good stand just pick which one seems most attractive to you - $300 is price for risk/lack of solid warranty. You could pay $1000 for apples and get those things.

Last edited:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Are you always this uncharismatic? What is wrong with you that you called what I wrote "bitching"? It's a real issue and I was informing people of FREE or cheap ($2 for the international adapter) workarounds, rather than buying the $24 adapter on ebay like some people suggested on other forums. Or buying a $10 cord like you're suggesting. (Edit: misread you to say $10 for one, not 10 for 10. Even if you could find them at that price, which I doubt considering how much of a markup my local PC parts stores charge, free is still cheaper than ANY dollar amount.)

I have a dozen power cables along with hundreds of others zip tied in a tub in my garage. Surprised if anyone doesn't have one that's into electronics or visiting these forums. Non issue.

Mad_dawg

May 5, 2012
There are guys in those threads who own colorimeters and posting good results after calibration.

Sure you can point to some negatives but less than one frame input lag is a huge benefit to only having one input. No scaler also same lowers lag besides video cards can do that just fine. It's a hell of a deal for a gaming IPS or those who stand stand heavy AG.

Can't get any better gaming experience than this monitor...

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/7483/bf320120517143440543.jpg