Anyone else get a Catleap?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
Just bought another without the perfect pixel guarnatee for $307, going to be quite the dual monitor setup, can't wait!

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
I have been using a Catleap for over a month now. No issues whatsoever. Tera, Skyrim, BF3 and everything else looks gorgeous. Very vibrant colors. The only issue my panel has is some backlight bleeding in the lower right corner when the screen is black. Besides that there are no dead pixels and such. I am using a color profile that I found in the OC Catleap thread, and it's working out fine.

If I were to buy right now, I would get the Crossover over the catleap for the better stand. Catleap stand is wobbly. Also, games don't look that good if played in non-native resolution (Catleap does not have scaler), so make sure you have a beefy high-end video card if you want to game at 1440p. I am using a 7970 OC, and Skyrim runs at mostly 60fps @ ultra, 2xAA. It uses over 2GB vram with the texture mods according to AB, not sure if it is accurate.

Luckily i just got a EVGA SC GTX 670 so i can run both.

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
Amazing it shipped Monday from Korea I received it at noon today near Detroit. Diablo 3 in 1440p is amazing, and Tera looks unreal.

Zero issues or dead pixels, honestly one of the best purchases I have made.

Here is a crappy pic next to my 23" acer I will get better ones later.

805d38ab.jpg

Thats pretty nice! Congrats on getting a monitor with no defects! :thumbsup:

I just placed an order for my EVGA GTX 670 on Amazon... hopefully I get it this week... I currently have a 27" 1920x1200 for gaming and I'm looking to go higher in resolution and not smaller monitor - once you go 27" and higher than 1080p you dont want to go back... LOL :D

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Turn off all the lights and see if you can live with the backlight bleeding. I have the same monitor and mine came with ugly backlight bleeding. Hopefully yours does better.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Its well known in the other forums that they are using A- grade LG Display panels and on some of the Ebay listings the sellers stated that they are A- grade... and also they stated what are the acceptable number of visible defective pixels/defects... which from my research A+ grades have NO visible defective pixels and NO detectable (using professional tools to detect) defects. I'm still researching to find out exactly what defects designate the LG display panels to lower grades... especially when the buyer receives the monitors because there is no real way to find out if the defects are the result of the shipping or if the manufacturer purposely purchased defective displays for assembly.

To clarify, I ment to say $100 or more... the closest I found are the HP 27" that are averaging for $650

Well I've read a lot of these threads at OC.net and they seem a lot happier with them than grade A brands. Something like 89% got perfect panels in catleap thread. And they are only $310 right now. That's $350 cheaper than CHEAPEST mainstream brand not $100.

And besides that ALL LG IPS's sent to USA in those mainstream brands save apples have horrendous anti-glare coating resulting in sparkle and crappy text.

I own probably the best LCD monitor of all time, NEC 2490wuxi rev 1, and would have no qualms about buying these cheap korean models if mine went out. I would not buy another NEC due to heavy AG coating they are using today on them.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Well I've read a lot of these threads at OC.net and they seem a lot happier with them than grade A brands. Something like 89% got perfect panels in catleap thread. And they are only $310 right now. That's $350 cheaper than CHEAPEST mainstream brand not $100.

And besides that ALL LG IPS's sent to USA in those mainstream brands save apples have horrendous anti-glare coating resulting in sparkle and crappy text.

I own probably the best LCD monitor of all time, NEC 2490wuxi rev 1, and would have no qualms about buying these cheap korean models if mine went out. I would not buy another NEC due to heavy AG coating they are using today on them.

If you're going by the poll, be careful. Lots of careless people out there just look at pixels and figure, hey, I didn't find any bad ones, I got a perfect panel.

No. If it were perfect, it wouldn't be A-. Think about it.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good deal but it's not an A+ panel like on Apple CinemaDisplay panels. You can pretty much count on something being wrong, like miscalibrated gamma, backlight bleeding (the bleeding on mine is the worst I've ever seen and I would be pissed enough to return it if I bought it from a U.S. retailer, for that reason alone), etc. even if you can't detect it as easily as looking for dead pixels. Further, you get no warranty, no 120V plug (minor), no controls other than coarse brightnest/contrast (major problem for photo editing, etc.), no scaler (can't use as standalone TV or consoles unless at 720p), and unless you pay $180 more, you don't get any non-dual-link-DVI outputs, either. No displayport, thunderbolt, HDMI, or VGA.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
If you're going by the poll, be careful. Lots of careless people out there just look at pixels and figure, hey, I didn't find any bad ones, I got a perfect panel.

No. If it were perfect, it wouldn't be A-. Think about it.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good deal but it's not an A+ panel like on Apple CinemaDisplay panels. You can pretty much count on something being wrong, like miscalibrated gamma, backlight bleeding (the bleeding on mine is the worst I've ever seen and I would be pissed enough to return it if I bought it from a U.S. retailer, for that reason alone), etc. even if you can't detect it as easily as looking for dead pixels. Further, you get no warranty, no 120V plug (minor), no controls other than coarse brightnest/contrast (major problem for photo editing, etc.), no scaler (can't use as standalone TV or consoles unless at 720p), and unless you pay $180 more, you don't get any non-dual-link-DVI outputs, either. No displayport, thunderbolt, HDMI, or VGA.
There are guys in those threads who own colorimeters and posting good results after calibration.

Sure you can point to some negatives but less than one frame input lag is a huge benefit to only having one input. No scaler also same lowers lag besides video cards can do that just fine. It's a hell of a deal for a gaming IPS or those who stand stand heavy AG.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
There are guys in those threads who own colorimeters and posting good results after calibration.

Sure you can point to some negatives but less than one frame input lag is a huge benefit to only having one input. No scaler also same lowers lag besides video cards can do that just fine. It's a hell of a deal for a gaming IPS or those who stand stand heavy AG.

I own a colorimeter as well and I'm sure it does okay after software calibration. But backlight bleeding is hard to cure. I would rather have some pixel in a corner be dead, than suffer the amount of backlight bleeding I get on my Shimian.

However, for purely gaming purposes, it's a hard price/perf to beat. You are right about lower input lag.

For those looking for an all-around monitor suitable for movies (where backlight bleeding becomes a bigger issue), games, photo editing, etc., or to use as standalone TVs, I would recommend getting the ones with on-screen displays. If I had to do it again, that's what I'd get, because I prefer hardware calibration (literally punching in values into monitors and leaving them there) since software messes up enough I gave up on it. Even simple things like playing back youtube videos would give me errors about color bits and stuff. Ugh. The downside is that anything other than the DVI-D-only panels will have scalers and thus higher input lag.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Oh and blasting cap some do have 1 years warranty and 120-240V transformers.

Personally I'd spend the extra and get the Crossover brand as it seems to have most satisfied customers, plus all metal/aluminum construction and height adjustable stand.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Oh and blasting cap some do have 1 years warranty and 120-240V transformers.

Personally I'd spend the extra and get the Crossover brand as it seems to have most satisfied customers, plus all metal/aluminum construction and height adjustable stand.

I believe ALL of them have 115-240V AC adapters. It's the plug that you need to switch out. It's a minor thing since most people have some worthless old PSU they can yank the plug out of and slot into the AC adapter. Just worth a mention though.

Good luck collecting on that 1 year warranty. Let me guess: you get to pay the shipping fee to Korea for $100. I would value such a warranty at roughly zero dollars, give or take a dollar. Now if they say they'll pay for shipping both ways, that would be worth more, but only like $20 or so because you don't know how honest they'll be, and plus it's worth nothing if the monitor doesn't break within the first year.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I own a colorimeter as well and I'm sure it does okay after software calibration. But backlight bleeding is hard to cure. I would rather have some pixel in a corner be dead, than suffer the amount of backlight bleeding I get on my Shimian.

However, for purely gaming purposes, it's a hard price/perf to beat. You are right about lower input lag.

For those looking for an all-around monitor suitable for movies (where backlight bleeding becomes a bigger issue), games, photo editing, etc., or to use as standalone TVs, I would recommend getting the ones with on-screen displays. If I had to do it again, that's what I'd get, because I prefer hardware calibration (literally punching in values into monitors and leaving them there) since software messes up enough I gave up on it. Even simple things like playing back youtube videos would give me errors about color bits and stuff. Ugh. The downside is that anything other than the DVI-D-only panels will have scalers and thus higher input lag.

Back-light bleed is a bitch, no cure but RMA, which I did plenty of with so-called grade A panels. And it's not like plenty of korans have none. You got a bad monitor. Buy from korean retailer which allow returns/satisfaction guarantee. But to smear whole lot as bad is not even close to accurate.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Back-light bleed is a bitch, no cure but RMA, which I did plenty of with so-called grade A panels. And it's not like plenty of korans have none. You got a bad monitor. Buy from korean retailer which allow returns/satisfaction guarantee. But to smear whole lot as bad is not even close to accurate.

I called it a good deal. I did not smear the whole lot. Please don't put words in my mouth. I merely questioned the validity of a poll in which the only thing asked was how many pixels were dead. There are a lot more things that can go wrong than dead pixels. You make it sound like 89% of people got A+ panels when we know that they are using A- panels *by their own admission.* You might want to think about that one for a while.

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
Ended up paying 20 bucks more on my 2nd one for pixel perfect and the 115-240v adapter after emailing him so 326 total. I did not notice much bleed in pitch black on the monitor.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Ended up paying 20 bucks more on my 2nd one for pixel perfect and the 115-240v adapter after emailing him so 326 total. I did not notice much bleed in pitch black on the monitor.

Get a third. I just might do that myself, though it would put incredible strain on my 7970 to run 7680x1440 in modern games. I could probably still play Left 4 Dead 2 at that rez though, lol.

AnMig

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2000
Received my [QH270-Lite] Achieva ShiMian 27 from ta_planet today, that is pretty darned quick from Korea. Ordered Sunday received Wed. Considering I live in rural MN that is fast.

Paid 314$ shipped, was offered pixel perfect for 20$ more but decided based on other forums that it was not worth it.

I do not see a dead or stuck pixel, picture is perfect. Stand tilts forward and backward that's it. Might pick up different stand that swivels.

I did notice some back light bleeding on a complete black background with the lights off, but do not see this with the other colors or when regular use.

Pixel test http://jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php

Was kind of disappointed that I could not increase the frequency (>60mhz) some people were able to go 75 or even 100mhz. Currently have a 7970 and the only option in the catalyst control panel was 60mhz.

I heard there are programs out there that can force higher frequency, will look into that some day when I get bored.

Here is a few links about it copied from http://www.overclock.net/t/1215866/...g-90hz-achieva-shimian-qh270-and-catleap-q270

How to run your monitor at a higher refresh rate, particularly if you have an AMD/ATI card (as Nvidia users can already set a custom refresh rate). The program someone over at hardforum made is the easiest way to do it, though other more effective ways are being investigated. Again, thank you ToastyX.

Program: http://www.toastyx.net/cru-preview.zip
Release notes: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038342324&postcount=6
See also: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/7947-force-dvi-hdmi-resolutions-refresh-rates.html

My only concern now is that my 1 month old 7970 will not be powerful enough to run my games at max resolution (BF3 in particular. Hoping the increase in resolution will make a difference. Was using a 27 inch LG panel before and the 1920x 1080 resolution was just not enough for a monitor this size, Image was not as clear despite running at max setting.

Might pick up another 7970 as soon as AMD gets their crossfire drivers in order, after that another one of this monitors then another 7970 its a viscous cycle I tell you

For any one on the fence I think its a very good buy. The natural gambler in me ignored the few people who received a few dead pixels.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Only a few ppl got over 60hz and it requires a special board to do so. A board since discontinued except on special runs which 120hz charges $450 for instead of $300 you paid. Not worth it IMO. Anyway, no one today ordering a regular Catleap will get high Hz.

AnMig

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2000
Only a few ppl got over 60hz and it requires a special board to do so. A board since discontinued except on special runs which 120hz charges $450 for instead of $300 you paid. Not worth it IMO. Anyway, no one today ordering a regular Catleap will get high Hz.

Thanks, kind figured that out. I still hope that they just locked the ID of the monitor to 60mhz and that a workaround like the one I linked will work. At any rate its a good deal for 300 bones specially if you get a perfect pixel one. Light bleed is negligible had to look for it with a complete black background and the lights off. Hope it lasts at least 3 years.

peace

kevinsbane

Jun 16, 2010
Thanks, kind figured that out. I still hope that they just locked the ID of the monitor to 60mhz and that a workaround like the one I linked will work. At any rate its a good deal for 300 bones specially if you get a perfect pixel one. Light bleed is negligible had to look for it with a complete black background and the lights off. Hope it lasts at least 3 years.

peace
The physical board on Shimians are electrically incompatible with a refresh rate higher than 67hz, unfortunately.