Anyone else get a Catleap?

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PBat51

Apr 4, 2010
hey gigahertz20 I cant reply to your PM until I hit 25 posts sooooo:

gigahertz20 said:
Saw your post in the thread (http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2241326&page=28&highlight=eq276w) about the Auria 27" monitor you own, I'm thinking of buying it from Micro Center for $400. Is it still working solid without issue for you and would you recommend it still? Any noticeable issues while playing fast paced games like ghosting/lag/etc?

Its been a rock.. I do not notice any ghosting or lag. It might be there but I dont see it

I did read in a user review on Micro Center that said you have to use the Display Port connection on the monitor or you'll have lag when gaming, review is quoted below, would you say it's accurate?

I run DVI-D and it works for me

The biggest issue to warn you gamers out there is to MAKE SURE TO USE THE DISPLAYPORT and NOT the DVI to significantly reduce the input lag. Using the Displayport under the native resolution will bypass the internal scaler, which seriously reduces input lag. If you use the DVI port, it will not bypass the internal scaler. You can see this for yourself when even first turning on your PC. With displayport, it will show you the BIOS flash screen, but with DVI, you will only get an image when Windows boots to the desktop, this is how slow/pathetic the built in scaler is.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/384780/EQ276W_27_IPS_LED_Monitor#

NOT True... I get a normal boot like any other monitor. Honestly between the monitor and my SSD those have been the 2 biggest "oh wow" upgrades I have done in years.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Anyone know how common yellowing displays are with these? I have one and it doesn't suffer from this problem, but I'm looking at getting another.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Can the newer cat leaps still hit 100hz?

no, i wont say 100% no but its close

the only one that are gaurenteed to hit 120 HZ are the ones from 120hz.net - they got someone to make monitors with the older PCB design, they however are no longer cheap

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
no, i wont say 100% no but its close

the only one that are gaurenteed to hit 120 HZ are the ones from 120hz.net - they got someone to make monitors with the older PCB design, they however are no longer cheap

CAREFUL here! The 'Extreme 2B' Catleaps from 120hz.net are NOT (and have never been) 'guaranteed' to hit 120Hz. Read the "What NOT to expect" section of this page: http://www.120hz.biz/terms-of-sale/

Overclockable monitors should be approached in the same way as a 'K' CPU from Intel. They can be overclocked, but overclocking is done entirely at the user's risk, and no minimum results are guaranteed.

Also, fun fact. The 'someone' that 120Hz.net got to make monitors with the overclockable PCBs are the Catleap manufacturer, Witech. But you're certainly right about the price. The original ones from early 2012 could be had for USD400-450. Now it's USD720, and pixel perfect ones (not currently available) were costing USD820 a month or so ago

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
So these seem to be sold out everywhere, anywhere have any clue where they can be purchased right now ?

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
hey gigahertz20 I cant reply to your PM until I hit 25 posts sooooo:

NOT True... I get a normal boot like any other monitor. Honestly between the monitor and my SSD those have been the 2 biggest "oh wow" upgrades I have done in years.

I have to agree with this. I also have the Auria from MC and I don't notice any input lag on DVI-D.

However if my video card had Display Port, I'd use it anyway. It's just a newer technology and has more bandwidth.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I have one of the cheaper Crossovers and I won the panel lottery I think. No bad pixels, negligible backlight bleed, no uniformity issues or color banding. It's gorgeous. Calibrated it with a Spyder.

The stand is absolute shit though ;) May get one of those cool monitor arms for it.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
I have one of the cheaper Crossovers and I won the panel lottery I think. No bad pixels, negligible backlight bleed, no uniformity issues or color banding. It's gorgeous. Calibrated it with a Spyder.

The stand is absolute shit though ;) May get one of those cool monitor arms for it.

I thought the crossovers did not overclock?

kevinsbane

Jun 16, 2010
He is sold out right now as well.

What panels will work with that pcb? I really want one with zero dead pixels, hard to come by I imagine.

All the korean monitors seem to work with them... but the PCB might not fit in the housing. CrossOvers being one of the ones where it doesn't quite fit.

Catleaps & Shimians confirmed to work.

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
To be precise, the overclockable PCBs from Overlord Computer are compatible with LG LM270WQ1 panels. As stated, these or variants thereof are found in most (all?) of the popular 1440p 27-inch Korean IPS screens off eBay.

In terms of difficulty, the PCB swap looks most straightforward for Achieva Shimian and Yamakasi Catleap owners. People who own the Crossover 27Q have extra work because the housing needs to be modded.

For those not wanting to mod, the ready-to-overclock Overlord Tempest X270OC is scheduled to be back in stock in mid-March.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I thought the crossovers did not overclock?

It doesn't.

Though I wonder if the Crossover 27qd would fit that PCB since its a different housing than the 27q.

I've used 120hz TN and can appreciate the benefits but I don't really miss it. $260 just seems really steep since the monitor itself wasn't much more than that.