Anbyone else offended by the Coke commercial

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Yea I know right? LOL!

What kind of a fucking regressive conservatard, xenophobic racist supremacist would ever entertain such a stupid notion as the idea that a common language and common culture and values might be important to a successful and sustainable society?

ROFLMAO!

Stagnant society you must mean. Take some time and read about the European Dark Age and Imperial China, Egypt, Inca etc. Civilizations that don't accept change, fall.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I'm gonna have to remember to link this anytime the OP or anyone who agrees with him claims to not be racist as proof otherwise.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Stupid commercial, hated it. Good thing I already avoid coca cola anyway because it's terrible for you.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Do you think that the uniquely harsh treatment blacks faced in not only the US but many cultures is anything to do with the larger genetic distance as compared to other groups who were not treated as harshly?

Can you think of any times when cultural and racial differences have led to strife, tension, and conflict between groups? (Hint: almost every conflict in human history)

And you don't consider being a society that had to deal with issues of segregation, slavery, civil rights, Jim Crow, lynchings, etc to have been a set back? Keep in mind that a society which was completely homogeneous would never have been plagued by any of those issues.

Stagnant society you must mean. Take some time and read about the European Dark Age and Imperial China, Egypt, Inca etc. Civilizations that don't accept change, fall.

Exactly, and he also fails to remember that all the conflicts he is talking about was caused because people, like him, resisted integration. He's doing nothing but supporting a self fulfilling prophecy.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
OP and those agreeing with him are fucking idiots.

Deep southern english is barely discernible. Hell, most of the mid west english is barely discernible. YeehaW!

you fucknut.

Feb 6, 2007
I didn't like the advertisement, but that was because it felt like forced bullshit sentimentality designed to elicit an emotional response and tie it to a product (not unlike most advertising, really). Offensive? That's absurd. America has never been about having a sociopolitical monoculture and to argue that it should is unAmerican. Which you're allowed to be, thanks to the First Amendment. But for someone so patriotic to be so completely wrong about what this country represents is really sad.

jhbball

Platinum Member
Mar 20, 2002
that sang 'America The Beautiful' in different languages? I took a little offence to it. It's great that we are a melting pot but we need an official language once and for all and be done with it. People refusal to adopt the language causes problems on sop many levels. We can't staff every single 911 center with someone that speaks every single language and start putting up road signs in every language.

I'm shocked you were offended by this. Was your mullet offended too?

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Oh look, Geosurface went full nazi retard

KKK is strong in this thread. Shame it seems a regular occurrence.

I genuinely think he would be happier on Stormfront than here. I don't mean that as an insult, just as a fact.

Support US immigration policy from 1964 and point out problems current immigration policy has created = you are a Nazi in the KKK who belongs on Stormfront.

He's riding hard about how great eugenics is in another thread.

Say that people should reproduce responsibly = you are riding hard about eugenics.

You guys are very nuanced. I appreciate that!

Genetic gap? WTF?

Do you not realize that some groups are more closely related to one another than others? You think someone suggesting that more closely related groups integrate and get along better than more distantly related groups is somehow a crazy notion? It is the most obvious and basic common sense.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Support US immigration policy from 1964 and point out problems current immigration policy has created = you are a Nazi in the KKK who belongs on Stormfront.

I used to see some Stormfront posts back in the day when some websites I used to visit would troll them for hilarious responses. This is not a joke, what you are saying here would be well received there. It is not well received here. You may not like the connotation, but your opinions and the opinions of quite a few people there are similar on this topic.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I used to see some Stormfront posts back in the day when some websites I used to visit would troll them for hilarious responses. This is not a joke, what you are saying here would be well received there. It is not well received here. You may not like the connotation, but your opinions and the opinions of quite a few people there are similar on this topic.

Is it not possible that some of the things they go off about are legitimate concerns that need attention, but that they poison those issues by talking about them in very simplistic, mean-spirited ways?

I hope you realize that just because people on Stormfront worry about immigration does not mean that worrying about immigration is inherently racist or vacuous as a result.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
Coke is making the point that what makes America such a land of opportunity and one of its greatest strengths is it's diversity due to a history of (mostly) welcoming foreign immigrants with open arms and (mostly) acceptance. The presence of such a variety of different cultures (including customs, foods, religions, and languages) and how parts of those are integrated into"American" culture does not divide America, it is the essence of America and makes it beautiful.

That or Coke was just trolling conservatives again!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Is it not possible that some of the things they go off about are legitimate concerns that need attention, but that they poison those issues by talking about them in very simplistic, mean-spirited ways?

I hope you realize that just because people on Stormfront worry about immigration does not mean that worrying about immigration is inherently racist or vacuous as a result.

Worrying about immigration is not racist, but worrying about immigration for many of the reasons you have cited is definitely racist.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Coke is making the point that what makes America such a land of opportunity and one of its greatest strengths is it's diversity due to a history of (mostly) welcoming foreign immigrants with open arms and (mostly) acceptance. The presence of such a variety of different cultures (including customs, foods, religions, and languages) and how parts of those are integrated into"American" culture does not divide America, it is the essence of America and makes it beautiful.

Well, America was very homogeneous prior to the 1965 immigration bill, was it not yet fully America because of that?

If diversity is such a strength and confers so many benefits, should we try to get our percentage of whiteys as low as possible? I mean, whites don't really bring any diversity after all.

I guess the strength and beauty of diversity is well demonstrated by interracial crime, white flight, race riots in prisons and schools (particularly in California where diversity is furthest along), and Robert Putnam of Harvard's research on how the more diverse a community is the lower the civic engagement is and the more people withdraw within themselves and the less they trust one another or the very recent research by Roy Y.J .Chua, of Harvard Business School just published in the Economist about how diverse work environments have problems because of it.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

actually, no. that is certainly not possible.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Well, America was very homogeneous prior to the 1965 immigration bill, was it not yet fully America because of that?

If diversity is such a strength and confers so many benefits, should we try to get our percentage of whiteys as low as possible? I mean, whites don't really bring any diversity after all.

You define "America" within a very brief window of it's already rather short history.

Sorry, The trend of American culture has never been one of homogeneity. There were, first, small pockets of elite white Europeans and poor white debtors fleeing Europe, surrounded by tribes of natives.

Even through the existance of the USA has a country, half of its territory was the exclusive domain of natives, and with ever-increasing numbers of immigrants from various parts of europe. You think there is homogeneity within the Irish, the Polish, the Lithuanians, the Germans---but their really isn't.

Basically, you're an ignorant person trying to dabble in population genetics to formulate an loose foundation for your ignorant ideas about race purity--none of which have a legitimate historical precedent. They exist only the fantastical minds of the truly ignorant. All you have to do is examine your proud literature, and the great leaders of your one-nation movements only ever talk about the "pure" times, before the time in which they are living. you see: those that seek this purity only ever talk about a time period within which they have never lived, through reference of other people talking about further past times, in which they never lived.

You see--nothing but ignorance and fantasy. The delusions of the paranoid.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I have no idea what "my proud literature" is or what a one-nation movement is. I think you're confusing me with something I'm not. I'm merely someone who is cynical and skeptical about the viability of a multicultural society.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
Maybe if you weren't such a little bitch, you wouldn't be offended.

and maybe if you weren't such a twat your lips wouldn't flap when you talk and your breath wouldn't smell like sardines. o_O

No, I don't agree with the OP, but I do enjoy insulting you.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Uhh, no. America was not homogeneous at all. In truth, many immigrants were treated with the same disdain expressed today, starting with the Papist Irish. Many of the groups in question weren't really considered to be fully "White" until recently, including Jews & Italians. Let's not even talk about Chinese, Japanese & most recently Vietnamese, OK?

When you need to revise history, you'd probably do better to re-evaluate.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Uhh, no. America was not homogeneous at all. In truth, many immigrants were treated with the same disdain expressed today, starting with the Papist Irish. Many of the groups in question weren't really considered to be fully "White" until recently, including Jews & Italians. Let's not even talk about Chinese, Japanese & most recently Vietnamese, OK?

When you need to revise history, you'd probably do better to re-evaluate.

but all of those "cultures" were one white culture.

don't you get it?

it doesn't matter that Italians and jews were once considered n^ggars of that time by that day's white supremacists. You see, the white supremacists of this day think about those times as happy homogeneous cultures, because the racist snots of that time were also talking about past happy times....that never existed.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Why the fuck would anyone be offended? jfc people really need to grow the fuck up