Question 'Ampere'/Next-gen gaming uarch speculation thread

Page 200 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ottonomous

May 15, 2014
How much is the Samsung 7nm EUV process expected to provide in terms of gains?
How will the RTX components be scaled/developed?
Any major architectural enhancements expected?
Will VRAM be bumped to 16/12/12 for the top three?
Will there be further fragmentation in the lineup? (Keeping turing at cheaper prices, while offering 'beefed up RTX' options at the top?)
Will the top card be capable of >4K60, at least 90?
Would Nvidia ever consider an HBM implementation in the gaming lineup?
Will Nvidia introduce new proprietary technologies again?

Sorry if imprudent/uncalled for, just interested in the forum member's thoughts.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Has anyone heard of an Nvidia response to the 6800 XT? I haven't. The 3080 is already effectively discontinued, as expected, for not offering enough memory for the price. The 3070 Ti is coming for $600 with 10GB. It's basically a 3080 for $100 cheaper and will try to compete with the 6800, but will be more expensive and have only 10GB compared to 16. The next card up is the rumored 3080 Ti with 20GB for $1000 to compete with the 6900 XT. That makes sense, but what will Nvidia do about the 6800 XT? The 6800 XT is the best card that makes the most sense of all of them and Nvidia has nothing to combat it. Their cards don't have enough ram or performance unless you spend $1000 or more. That doesn't do anything to address the 6800 XT with 3080+ performance and 16GB for only $650.

It sounds like you should just dip on over to AMD's waters and get what they are offering. However, I wouldn't write Nvidia off yet until there is head-to-head benchmarks with Cyberpunk. You may not like the configurations, but scores of people will not care if performance is what they want right now. Cyberpunk will move hardware. Whichever brand comes out on top with RT, no matter how much oogles of ram there is on one card or another, will have a huge determining factor in the initial success of these cards in 2020.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
It sounds like you should just dip on over to AMD's waters and get what they are offering. However, I wouldn't write Nvidia off yet until there is head-to-head benchmarks with Cyberpunk. You may not like the configurations, but scores of people will not care if performance is what they want right now. Cyberpunk will move hardware. Whichever brand comes out on top with RT, no matter how much oogles of ram there is on one card or another, will have a huge determining factor in the initial success of these cards in 2020.
I wouldn't put _that_ much emphasis on RT just yet. So far the Cyberpunk RT game footage has been pretty far from amazing.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Cold War and Watch Dogs Legions RT look pretty good. Cold War more than WDL though. Just one of those things that doesn't seem a big deal, but I feel like its one of the bigger steps up in realism we've had for awhile if you can actually run it. Unless you've buying a top range card it's probably not worth the speed trade off still.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Cold War and Watch Dogs Legions RT look pretty good. Cold War more than WDL though. Just one of those things that doesn't seem a big deal, but I feel like its one of the bigger steps up in realism we've had for awhile if you can actually run it. Unless you've buying a top range card it's probably not worth the speed trade off still.
Speaking of cold war. It definitely makes my 1080ti show its age. I can run it on ultra textures but had to use medium anti aliasing which is basically filmic smaa x1. Ultra AA looks nicer of course but it only gives 60-70fps and I want a little more for multiplayer. The game doesn't look that much better, but doesn't seem to run as smooth as last year's modern warfare.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Despite what you think, it's easily the most anticipated game of this year. CDK's track record is prestigious.
Despite of what you think, I agree with both of your statements, personally I'm waiting for this game for years now, I even played the original RPG ~20-25 years ago and I follow these postponement news with utmost dread. I just don't understand why you wrote this reacting to me. Maybe you didn't read my comment, just assumed something.

Reactions: Martimus

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Cyberpunk will move hardware. Whichever brand comes out on top with RT, no matter how much oogles of ram there is on one card or another, will have a huge determining factor in the initial success of these cards in 2020.

Right now and probably for the foreseeable future all AMD and NVidia hardware will be moved regardless of any one game or how the two brands perform in it.

The performance uplift is too good and the supply to low to even meet initial demand for people to leave anything on shelves.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Despite of what you think, I agree with both of your statements, personally I'm waiting for this game for years now, I even played the original RPG ~20-25 years ago and I follow these postponement news with utmost dread. I just don't understand why you wrote this reacting to me. Maybe you didn't read my comment, just assumed something.

You said "So far the Cyberpunk RT game footage has been pretty far from amazing." Far from amazing translates to it doesn't look good.

So perhaps you mistyped what you meant?

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
You said "So far the Cyberpunk RT game footage has been pretty far from amazing." Far from amazing translates to it doesn't look good.
It seems to me @lobz was talking about RT having to prove it's worth even in a game like Cyberpunk, whereas you're implying the game's worldwide momentum will move the best RT enabled hardware no matter how unimpressive the visuals are.

Reactions: Martimus

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
It seems to me @lobz was talking about RT having to prove it's worth even in a game like Cyberpunk, whereas you're implying the game's worldwide momentum will move the best RT enabled hardware no matter how unimpressive the visuals are.

That's what I understood as well. @lobz is emphasizing the game itself and @tviceman seems to be emphasizing the RT effects as the leading reason to buy specific video cards. RT is exciting but I doubt it's a priority for most gamers. Personally, rasterization performance is far and away the most important aspect of a GPU because it works in every game.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
I think, for the group of people wanting to turn 'everything' on, RT has to be qualified as quite important.

It's in the consoles so will get at least tokenistic support in lots of games going forward and basically all of the biggest ones.

If you're prepared to turn a few things off/down then the 3080/90 and 6800 series are basically overkill anyway.

Reactions: Dribble and jim1976

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Has anyone heard of an Nvidia response to the 6800 XT? I haven't. The 3080 is already effectively discontinued, as expected, for not offering enough memory for the price. The 3070 Ti is coming for $600 with 10GB. It's basically a 3080 for $100 cheaper and will try to compete with the 6800, but will be more expensive and have only 10GB compared to 16. The next card up is the rumored 3080 Ti with 20GB for $1000 to compete with the 6900 XT. That makes sense, but what will Nvidia do about the 6800 XT? The 6800 XT is the best card that makes the most sense of all of them and Nvidia has nothing to combat it. Their cards don't have enough ram or performance unless you spend $1000 or more. That doesn't do anything to address the 6800 XT with 3080+ performance and 16GB for only $650.

Well you wrote that nearly a month ago in this thread and was laughed at. Not this time. Try again in a month..lol
Personally i dont care the slightest about vram, and think there is plenty. I cant see it adds anything of visual value vs the cost.
That said. From a business perspective i think you are right. Amd just dumped cheap 16GB all over and NV is clearly rethinking their strategy. Its evident.
You were right.

Reactions: moonbogg

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
Until they both sort out shortages its really pointless.Here in EU/czech republic both 3080 and 3070 sold out after 1min(only like 20-30 3080 and 3070 at launch for whole country) and after that eshops increased price for both by 50%.We get 10-20 3070 per week with those insane prices.
3080 cost 1000+USD/EUR
3070 cost 680-720+ USD/EUR
I am expecting same paper lauch with rx 6800 and prices +50% just like with ampere.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Yeah most of you got it right, I am not too impressed of the RT implementation in Cyberpunk judging from the PR videos so far. Waaaaay too much glossy reflection for my taste. It could turn out to be awesome, I just said, literally, don't put _too much_ emphasis on RT (regarding Cyberpunk, that is) _just yet_.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
I think, for the group of people wanting to turn 'everything' on, RT has to be qualified as quite important.

It's in the consoles so will get at least tokenistic support in lots of games going forward and basically all of the biggest ones.

If you're prepared to turn a few things off/down then the 3080/90 and 6800 series are basically overkill anyway.
Most of the world does not share such an elitist way of thinking. Turning things on just for the sake of them being turned on is perfect for bragging on reddit. Believe it or not, that community is a very small minority even amongst potential 3080/6800XT & co. buyers.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
The RT in this game looks good, but I might play without it even with one of these cards. The performance hit of RT at 4K is so severe in general it might not be worth it. I generally don't play at the absolute ultra quality settings when a game first comes out, because many of the top settings make barely any visual difference but hurt performance a lot.

Reactions: Dave_5k

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
Most of the world does not share such an elitist way of thinking. Turning things on just for the sake of them being turned on is perfect for bragging on reddit. Believe it or not, that community is a very small minority even amongst potential 3080/6800XT & co. buyers.

A good thing too :) My point was as much wondering why people would need cards that big unless thinking at least partially that way? Even at 4k you need to be turning a lot of things up to really challenge these things. Or RT....

Which of course probably mostly means people will buy from either brand and be very happy to have the overkill performance for a bit of future proofing. Shrug.

Reactions: lobz

Thala

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2014
Yeah most of you got it right, I am not too impressed of the RT implementation in Cyberpunk judging from the PR videos so far. Waaaaay too much glossy reflection for my taste. It could turn out to be awesome, I just said, literally, don't put _too much_ emphasis on RT (regarding Cyberpunk, that is) _just yet_.

The non raytracing version is as glossy - its just that reflections are randomly disappearing due to being in screen-space. In many instances they just mapped an unrelated fixed image to the reflecting surfaces, which does not even match to what would be physically reflected. How glossy a surface is, is mainly an artistic decision - its not like raytracing makes a surface more glossy.
Personally i think that Cyberpunks raytracing implementation is very impressive - in particular the ambient occlusion and global illumination.

Last edited:

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
GeForce RTX 3060 Ti giving 2080 SUPER performance or more.
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3060Ti-Official-Performance.png

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
GeForce RTX 3060 Ti giving 2080 SUPER performance or more.
View attachment 33977

A $400 high-end card with, oh boy not again, 8GB of Vram. And yes, despite the name being X60, this is a high-end GPU at $400. The price suggests it's supposed to be high-end. It's being compared to a last-gen high-end card, yet no improvement in frame buffer capabilities. This card should cost $250 for casual 1080p gaming with that 8GB framebuffer. The framebuffer makes this a good 1660Ti replacement.
At this point, Nvidia has become Intel to me. I want to watch them burn. The gaming disease caused by their idiotic, garbage-valued products can only be cured by a hot, RED fire. It's the only way. They will never offer value to the customer again, so they need to get rekt.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
I guess that NV's financials (+37% gaming division revenue YoY for this quarter) constitute fair evidence that they're shipping a non trivial quantity of 30xx cards to someone, somewhere?

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
I guess that NV's financials (+37% gaming division revenue YoY for this quarter) constitute fair evidence that they're shipping a non trivial quantity of 30xx cards to someone, somewhere?

I don't think Ampere launched in time to have a large effect on this earning report. It should show significantly in the next one.

Reactions: lightmanek