Question 'Ampere'/Next-gen gaming uarch speculation thread

Page 202 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ottonomous

May 15, 2014
How much is the Samsung 7nm EUV process expected to provide in terms of gains?
How will the RTX components be scaled/developed?
Any major architectural enhancements expected?
Will VRAM be bumped to 16/12/12 for the top three?
Will there be further fragmentation in the lineup? (Keeping turing at cheaper prices, while offering 'beefed up RTX' options at the top?)
Will the top card be capable of >4K60, at least 90?
Would Nvidia ever consider an HBM implementation in the gaming lineup?
Will Nvidia introduce new proprietary technologies again?

Sorry if imprudent/uncalled for, just interested in the forum member's thoughts.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
From the rumors I've seen it's basically a 3090 with only 20 GB of memory, which shouldn't make any difference in terms of game performance. Essentially it's just a renamed 3090 if those rumors are correct.

If the price drops to match the 6900XT then it's basically a $500 cheaper 3090, which seems much more appropriate given the performance difference between it and the 3080.
It wouldn't make any difference in terms of game performance where it not for the 320 bit bus.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
It wouldn't make any difference in terms of game performance where it not for the 320 bit bus.

If that's a bottleneck for performance, then that could pose a problem, but based on the difference in performance between the 3080 and 3090, it doesn't seem like that would cause problems in most games. I looked at TPU for a quick comparison and they have 4 different AIB 3090's at somewhere between ~9% and ~19% of the 3080 at 4K. That's not FE to FE so it's obviously not the best, but one of their AIB 3080 reviews has an EVGA at ~5% above the FE model at 4K so it gives us an okay basis for comparison.

The 3090 has about 20% more shaders and 23% more memory bandwidth than a 3080, but obviously doesn't scale to either. I suppose someone could do some kind of under clock on the memory if they have a 3090 to figure out if that would hurt the performance and if so by how much, but considering how small the gap between the 3080 and the 3090 already is, I don't think it ends up mattering all that much.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Since all of these are 2021 products, we can all go to sleep for a few months. Nothing can be realistically purchased until March or something ridiculous like that, at which point the next-gen will be rumored. Neither company can possibly make enough cards to saturate demand. They would need tens of millions of them just to get started. For some reason, every household on every continent on earth has prioritized GPUs over food, water, shelter, their children's clothes, gas for the car, money to the tax man, and even toilet paper. People need to check their priorities so I can buy my godforsaken GPU.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Since all of these are 2021 products, we can all go to sleep for a few months. Nothing can be realistically purchased until March or something ridiculous like that, at which point the next-gen will be rumored. Neither company can possibly make enough cards to saturate demand. They would need tens of millions of them just to get started. For some reason, every household on every continent on earth has prioritized GPUs over food, water, shelter, their children's clothes, gas for the car, money to the tax man, and even toilet paper. People need to check their priorities so I can buy my godforsaken GPU.
I've considered getting cyberpunk for ps5 instead of pc since I don't know when I'll be able to get a new GPU. I'm lucky enough I was able to secure a new console..assuming the delivery driver didn't steal it.

Seems like even with people losing jobs and what not, everyone is busy buying electronics.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012

https://www.trendforce.com/presscenter/news/20201118-10556.html

TSMC’s aggressive 5nm capacity expansion will allow the company to capture nearly 60% of advanced process market by the end of 2021
With regards to the 5nm process technology, which is the most advanced node at the moment and which entered mass production in early 2020, Apple remains the sole client utilizing TSMC’s 5nm process after U.S. sanctions prohibited chip shipment to Huawei subsidiary HiSilicon. As such, despite Apple’s wafer input orders for its in-house-developed Mac CPU and FPGA accelerators used in servers, these wafer inputs are unable to completely make up for the leftover excess wafer capacities following HiSilicon’s departure. TSMC’s 5nm capacity utilization rate for 2H20 is therefore estimated to fall within the 85-90% range. Looking ahead to 2021, in addition to Apple’s 5nm+ wafer input for the A15 Bionic SoC, trial production will also kick off for a small batch of AMD 5nm Zen 4 CPUs. These products will help maintain TSMC’s 5nm capacity utilization rate at an 85-90% range next year.

It should be pointed out that, from late-2021 to 2022, MediaTek, Nvidia, and Qualcomm will kick-start their 5/4nm mass production, while AMD will ramp up its Zen 4 CPU manufacturing. Moreover, the first batch of outsourced 5nm Intel CPUs is also expected to enter production in 2022. The enormous wafer demand from these companies have led TSMC to begin expanding its 5nm capacity. Furthermore, based on current data, Apple is highly likely to continue manufacturing its A16 SoCs with the 4nm process technology (a process shrink of the 5nm node). This may lead TSMC to further expand its 5nm capacity at that time to fulfill high demand from clients. Likewise, Samsung is also planning to expand its 5nm capacity in 2021 in response to continuing manufacturing orders from Nvidia for GeForce GPUs based on the Hopper architecture, in addition to the Qualcomm Snapdragon 885 and Samsung’s own Exynos flagship SoCs. Even so, Samsung is expected to trail TSMC by about 20% in terms of 5nm capacity.

In light of the aforementioned situations, UMC and GlobalFoundries have in recent years successively bowed out of the race for advanced process development. Excluding SMIC, which is embroiled in U.S. sanctions-related complications, only TSMC and Samsung remain in the 7nm (and below) market. With regards to the client retention of foundries, Samsung is actively expanding its 5nm capacity at its new Pyeongtaek fab after receiving major orders from Nvidia. However, as Qualcomm will likely adopt TSMC’s 4nm process technology for Snapdragon 895 manufacturing, Samsung may have only Nvidia and Samsung (LSI) remaining as its major 5nm clients. Conversely, TSMC is likely to welcome Intel as a CPU manufacturing client, in addition to the existing clientele of Apple, AMD, MediaTek, Nvidia, and Qualcomm. TrendForce believes that demand for TSMC’s 5nm process technology will remain relatively strong and stable, and the 2H22 mass production of the 3nm process will further increase TSMC’s market share.

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
from late-2021 to 2022, MediaTek, Nvidia, and Qualcomm will kick-start their 5/4nm mass production ...
Samsung is also planning to expand its 5nm capacity in 2021 in response to continuing manufacturing orders from Nvidia for GeForce GPUs based on the Hopper architecture
Should make the rumors of Ampere GeForce on TSMC 7 nm more dead.
Though Samsung 5 nm isn't at the same level as TSMC 5 nm, it is still a 1-1.5 node jump in one year for GeForce.

Reactions: Leeea

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
GA103 rises again. From the fact that the -02-class GPU has never been used in mobile.

Related: a WCCFTech report on Ampere mobile
ASUS and MSI launching in January 2021, and the others in April (presumably for Intel Tiger Lake-H).
The lineup is missing the RTX 3050 series, so there is a huge gap between a $900 system (GTX 1660 Ti), and a $1000 one (RTX 3060).

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Seems like GA-104 would be more than sufficient for mobile. Plenty of people argue over the pointlessness of 4K monitors at 27" so I question the need for such displays in a 17" (or smaller!) form factor.

Anyone who wants a desktop replacement mobile workstation will just get a custom high-end machine with a GA-102 chip in it. Backing the clock and voltage down just a small bit easily makes it feasible to use it in such a machine.

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
Less than one week away from alleged GeForce RTX 3060 Ti launch and reviews (Dec 2), but still no announcement from NVIDIA..
Maybe a miscommunication of announcement vs launch.

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
Is there like a tutorial of buying a graphics card in 2020? I got a choice of whether to camp at Best Buy, Micro Center, Newegg, or Amazon (preferably Amazon for online), regarding GeForce RTX 3060 Ti release.

NVIDIA will officially launch its RTX 3060 Ti model on December 2nd, but the reviews will go live a day earlier, on December 1st. Retailers have been receiving shipments of the new SKU for almost a month now, thus we expect this model to be available for a few minutes more than usual.

CastleBravo

Dec 6, 2019
Is there like a tutorial of buying a graphics card in 2020? I got a choice of whether to camp at Best Buy, Micro Center, Newegg, or Amazon (preferably Amazon for online), regarding GeForce RTX 3060 Ti release.

I found a 3080 by hanging out in the "StockDrops" discord server, and pouncing on a Newegg in-stock alert as soon as it was posted.

Turtle.Man

Mar 20, 2010

I've delayed building a new rig for nearly two years in anticipation of Ampere and Zen 3... this supply situation (or, lack of supply situation) has me seriously steamed up right now. I'm getting frequent restocking notifications from several vendors, and everything goes out of stock again before I can even load my shopping cart. It seems like everyone on the planet suddenly needs a new CPU/GPU all at the same time. Grrrr!!! Thank you for listening.

Reactions: killster1

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
I found a 3080 by hanging out in the "StockDrops" discord server, and pouncing on a Newegg in-stock alert as soon as it was posted.

Same here. I also perused the local Microcenter Discord channel and fellow nerds were super helpful grabbing cards for folks who asked.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I've delayed building a new rig for nearly two years in anticipation of Ampere and Zen 3... this supply situation (or, lack of supply situation) has me seriously steamed up right now. I'm getting frequent restocking notifications from several vendors, and everything goes out of stock again before I can even load my shopping cart. It seems like everyone on the planet suddenly needs a new CPU/GPU all at the same time. Grrrr!!! Thank you for listening.

I think a lot of people also delayed building a new rig, or at least I'm in the same boat as you. Considering we went from $1,200 with Turing for a top card to a $700 Ampere card that completely smokes it and Zen 3 CPUs that have finally taken the gaming crown from Intel and it isn't hard to see why everyone and their grandmother (and their grandmother's pet beagle) wants a new rig right now.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I think a lot of people also delayed building a new rig, or at least I'm in the same boat as you. Considering we went from $1,200 with Turing for a top card to a $700 Ampere card that completely smokes it and Zen 3 CPUs that have finally taken the gaming crown from Intel and it isn't hard to see why everyone and their grandmother (and their grandmother's pet beagle) wants a new rig right now.
I've been attempting to upgrade my rig after piece by piece adding small upgrades to it, for 2 years now as well. Once January hits if I don't hear of a 3080ti announcement I'll try putting some effort into caring about a 3080.

I'm only really missing on ray tracing in Cyberpunk. Thought about getting it for the new consoles but they won't patch it for upgrades until late 2021 anyway.

Shamrock

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Reactions: Leeea