AMD'S stock price plummets amidst CFO resignation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
By who and why? Competiting with Intel is economic suicide.
x86 is still a huge market, and there is much to be made in the enterprise market. But I agree that it is a huge issue, AMD is the only company that has survived competing directly with Intel, but it is bleeding AMD dry.

Feb 19, 2009
x86 is still a huge market, and there is much to be made in the enterprise market. But I agree that it is a huge issue, AMD is the only company that has survived competing directly with Intel, but it is bleeding AMD dry.

They aren't competing. Competing would assume your products are somewhat similar in performance.. AMD has been forced to sell much bigger CPU dies for much less than Intel is selling its much smaller dies. That's a losing proposition.

They had a huge advantage with Llano, a result of ATI engineering and they got nowhere with it, next to no market penetration in the mobile space or desktop. It's an utter joke.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
LOL.......but midrange chips might start to cost that price if there is a monopoly.....who knows?

We all know. When your product lasts so long that you have to keep the price nearly flat and the performance increasing in order to drive sales, doing something asinine like that would make your company crumble. We would all just keep what we have now until it broke.

Margins would increase, volume would plummet, fabs would sit idle, etc.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
imo they'll sell their gpu division to someone like qualcomm, or samsung who'll use it to make mobile (phone/tablet) gpu's. There'll be a load of strings attached meaning AMD can still use Ati tech in their x86 cpu's.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
imo they'll sell their gpu division to someone like qualcomm, or samsung who'll use it to make mobile (phone/tablet) gpu's. There'll be a load of strings attached meaning AMD can still use Ati tech in their x86 cpu's.

Ahh Qualcomm, the benefactor of AMDs unbelievably stupid decision to sell off their mobile division for pennies a few years ago. I am sure they would welcome such a deal again.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
The GPU division is viable and has good products. Let the CPU division go under and Intel can buy out the GPU division. We'll get GPUs leap frogged ahead to a smaller process node on Intel's glorious fab technology. :D

That would be both interesting and scary. Don't think the FTC would allow it though.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Ahh Qualcomm, the benefactor of AMDs unbelievably stupid decision to sell off their mobile division for pennies a few years ago. I am sure they would welcome such a deal again.

Ex. AMD CEO "Seemed like a good idea at the time".

This one decision alone was probably enough to put the company in an irrecoverable position. The whole world is going mobile if not there already.

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011

They sold their "mobile division" to qualcomm. I bet they did not invest into this market after the deal. So right now they have no Low-Power-Design.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
They sold their "mobile division" to qualcomm. I bet they did not invest into this market after the deal. So right now they have no Low-Power-Design.

As the market moves forward mobile gpu's are going to keep moving from being pretty simple to much more like what we get on a desktop, with dx11, gpu compute, etc obviously all while staying in a tiny power envelope. Qualcomm probably doesn't know much about how to do dx11 or gpu compute but they will need to if they want to compete with nvidia who does. Buying Ati would give them that expertise.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
The whole world is going mobile if not there already.

I see this thrown about alot along with the word "cloud".

No one who says it ever seems to grasp that the real work horses in this scenario are still x86, power, etc servers. The volume also has to increase to handle the increased load if this imagining came to pass.

"Oh, I'll just use provider X for this, so x86 is dead!" (IN the background, provider X is increasing its x86 footprint to be able to run all these applications in volume).

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
As the market moves forward mobile gpu's are going to keep moving from being pretty simple to much more like what we get on a desktop, with dx11, gpu compute, etc obviously all while staying in a tiny power envelope. Qualcomm probably doesn't know much about how to do dx11 or gpu compute but they will need to if they want to compete with nvidia who does. Buying Ati would give them that expertise.

The mobile world is limited by power consumption. AMD has all the IP for DX11 and compute but what they sold was a division for the < 1 watt market.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I see this thrown about alot along with the word "cloud".

No one who says it ever seems to grasp that the real work horses in this scenario are still x86, power, etc servers. The volume also has to increase to handle the increased load if this imagining came to pass.

"Oh, I'll just use provider X for this, so x86 is dead!" (IN the background, provider X is increasing its x86 footprint to be able to run all these applications in volume).

What's to grasp? Arm servers are being built to. Aren't they?

Just a quick example:
http://armservers.com/

That was the first hit on a google search. There are literally hundreds.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
What's to grasp? Arm servers are being built to. Aren't they?

Just a quick example:
http://armservers.com/

That was the first hit on a google search. There are literally hundreds.

I'm going to steal a line from pawn stars and flip it around a bit for my purposes...

Yes, they're being built, and people are asking to sell them online, but are people buying them?

People are building "raspberry pi"s as well. Since those are being built, we should assume that they are servers too? ;)

I hear Apple used to make a server product, that was being built, it must have taken over as well?

I hear AMD makes a server proc, that's being built, it must be taking over as well (Ok, cheap shot at their 6% marketshare in that space).

You can see where I am going with this.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I'm going to steal a line from pawn stars and flip it around a bit for my purposes...

Yes, they're being built, and people are asking to sell them online, but are people buying them?

People are building "raspberry pi"s as well. Since those are being built, we should assume that they are servers too? ;)

I hear Apple used to make a server product, that was being built, it must have taken over as well?

I hear AMD makes a server proc, that's being built, it must be taking over as well (Ok, cheap shot at their 6% marketshare in that space).

You can see where I am going with this.

No, I can't. I'm talking about ARM CPUs and there ever expanding usage. Embedded in damn near everything, even cars. Tablets, servers.
I don't even know wtf raspberry pi is. No clue.

You can probably look up ARM's sales. They are a publicly traded company, right? I'm pretty sure they are selling a few. LOL.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Imagine ATI hardware with Intel's driver team and software QC program. Match made in graphics card heaven.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I hope AMD survives. Even if it means a partnership with the likes of Microsoft, Google or ARM. It would be horrible if the desktop CPU market would have only Intel as a member.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
No, I can't. I'm talking about ARM CPUs and there ever expanding usage. Embedded in damn near everything, even cars. Tablets, servers.
I don't even know wtf raspberry pi is. No clue.

You can probably look up ARM's sales. They are a publicly traded company, right? I'm pretty sure they are selling a few. LOL.

You haven't the foundation necessary to have this particular conversation, and I am not here to teach you. Feel free to keep thinking that because a few players are toying with making ARM servers that ARM servers are actually being purchased and used en masse.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
I hope AMD survives. Even if it means a partnership with the likes of Microsoft, Google or ARM. It would be horrible if the desktop CPU market would have only Intel as a member.

Actually it wouldnt. It would mean better and cheaper CPUs on the long run. I wouldnt be surprised if a 5nm fab costed 50billion$.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
ARM is dying. Plain simple. The abandon from partners with Windows RT shows this. Not to talk about Android on x86 now.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
You haven't the foundation necessary to have this particular conversation, and I am not here to teach you. Feel free to keep thinking that because a few players are toying with making ARM servers that ARM servers are actually being purchased and used en masse.

And you apparently haven't the social experience necessary to deal with other people without insulting them. Nice job. I don't see why I need a PHD in ARM sales or ARM server sales to see that they are being developed and used. You've got a lot of nerve and when you feel like having a conversation without looking at others down the slope of your nose and eyebrows raised, look me up.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
No offense intended, but it was pretty obvious that you were just regurgitating something you'd read from one of the tech journalists infatuated with the concept of ARM.

Here is a tip to make it less obvious next time. ARM itself, is not in the physical product market. They are 100% an IP corporation.