AMD'S stock price plummets amidst CFO resignation

Siberian

Jul 10, 2012
arstechnica.com/business/2012/9/amds-stock-price-plummets-amidst-cfo-resignation/

Anyone who has their stock or follows it know whats going on? Looks to be down by half in 6 months.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think the best thing AMD has going for it now, when considering avoiding a buyout, is they have too much debt to be worth absorbing. Hmmm, it is getting close, nVidia has enough liquid assets that they would just miss buying AMD outright and paying off all their debts. Don't think that would be a great thing for the discrete GPU sector, but it would probably help the CPU side of the x86 market out a great deal to have JHH helming Intel's main competition.

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
Buying AMD is a non starter because of the x86 licensing problems. If it was not for that, AMD would have been purchased long ago.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Meh.
He wanted the top spot, he didn't get it, so he went off looking to become a CEO himself.

We just have to wait and see what the current CEO can do with AMD, since it was in such bad shape (CPU division, not GPU as much).

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
I think the best thing AMD has going for it now, when considering avoiding a buyout, is they have too much debt to be worth absorbing. Hmmm, it is getting close, nVidia has enough liquid assets that they would just miss buying AMD outright and paying off all their debts. Don't think that would be a great thing for the discrete GPU sector, but it would probably help the CPU side of the x86 market out a great deal to have JHH helming Intel's main competition.

I do not think it is likely for them to even consider it. Currently AMD's cpu division is really lagging behind the competition and would require and a lot of funding to get back up to par with intel. Not to mention some overlap, nvidia already created tegra to compete with small mobile processors.

AMD's discrete GPU division doesn't really offer them any technology or patents that they do not already have an answer to AFAIK.

Generally speaking a competitor will buy a failing company to consume its patents and technologies, and perhaps as a way to quickly diversify into a parallel market. I don't really see any of these things in AMD's current state. I think unless their shares drop below their actual value (land, buildings, equipment, patents) there is very little incentive to buy them, at least to nvidia.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Yeah, buying AMD would not be a beneficial move for Nvidia. They already have a successful, cutting edge GPU design division and a growing ARM CPU design division, why pay a barrelload for another GPU division and a floundering x86 CPU division? At worst that could draw the wrath of federal antitrust laws.

OT, why can't AMD catch a break. I sincerely hope they don't go under, as both the GPU and the x86 CPU markets rely on the competion AMD provides. :(

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, buying AMD would not be a beneficial move for Nvidia. They already have a successful, cutting edge GPU design division and a growing ARM CPU design division, why pay a barrelload for another GPU division and a floundering x86 CPU division? At worst that could draw the wrath of federal antitrust laws.

nVidia buying out AMD, from an overall company perspective, would probably be the best case scenario for AMD. Clearly they need to get rid of their executives, and probably pretty much all of their management team. They make horrific choices almost 100% of the time. No matter how much engineering talent you may have, if the people running the book end are *that* bad at their job, it is going to kill your company.

BTW- The only possible anti trust issue would be if Intel tried to hold up legacy x86 licensing. Given that AMD owns the x86-64 branch I don't think it would honestly be an issue. On the GPU side Intel has more then 50% of the market, AMD and nVidia combined actually give them stronger competition(discrete GPU sales are a rounding error in the PC space, noone was knocking down Creative Labs door when they owned their market for a while).

OT, why can't AMD catch a break.

AMD has caught so many breaks it is absurd. The problem is someone at the executive level makes a *massive* mistake to screw it all up.

AMD's discrete GPU division doesn't really offer them any technology or patents that they do not already have an answer to AFAIK.

nV would pretty much own graphics IP. Obviously that opens up a lot of different avenues to explore for them in other markets.

Generally speaking a competitor will buy a failing company to consume its patents and technologies, and perhaps as a way to quickly diversify into a parallel market.

I'd be shocked if they did, I just think that from an overall company perspective it would be the best thing that could happen to AMD. nV can put the GPU teams to good work, and get the CPU teams straightened out while stopping cold the massive business miscues that manage to create so much pain for AMD.

If AMD would have purchased nV and put JHH in charge instead of going with ATi I think every company involved would probably be in a better place now, likely a *far* better place.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
The GPU division is viable and has good products. Let the CPU division go under and Intel can buy out the GPU division. We'll get GPUs leap frogged ahead to a smaller process node on Intel's glorious fab technology. :D

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
If AMD would have purchased nV and put JHH in charge instead of going with ATi I think every company involved would probably be in a better place now, likely a *far* better place.

I don't know if JHH is the key to success, there's plenty of talent out there, but he did refuse an acquisition without being put in charge. That's the only reason I would have done what you're suggesting, just to get the deal done.

zebrax2

Nov 18, 2007
nVidia buying out AMD, from an overall company perspective, would probably be the best case scenario for AMD. Clearly they need to get rid of their executives, and probably pretty much all of their management team. They make horrific choices almost 100% of the time. No matter how much engineering talent you may have, if the people running the book end are *that* bad at their job, it is going to kill your company.

Well most of them are pretty much gone :p

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
Link from the CPU section thread:
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...n-siemens.aspx

A couple of weeks ago, we received hints that Thomas Seifert, Chief Financial Officer at AMD could be leaving the company before the end of 2012. On Monday, September 17, 2012 he officially signed a letter of resignation, leaving Devinder Kumar to serve as the interim CFO. During his almost three year tenure, Seifert lead fiscally responsible politics focused on getting the company out from the financial ruin brought on by almost four billion dollars in debt left by prior management.

However, those austerity policies left many market opportunities closed, and the lack of investment in certain projects meant that AMD lost deals or even entries into new markets. Furthermore, this lead to an unprecedented brain drain. For the purpose of this article, we spoke with several sources which are either still with the company or have left for greener pastures. While we do understand polarized opinions, the fact of the matter was that Thomas was brought in to bring the spending into order, as the company was burdened with debt and entangled in an anti-trust battle with Intel, which ended with AMD receiving less money than NVIDIA
Perhaps the breaking point of Seifert's tenure came last year, when he served a dual role of CFO and an interim CEO. Our sources told us that AMD will still need time to recover from that period, since Thomas Seifert "slowed down projects and made a bigger mess than Dirk did in 2005 with his deliberate 65nm delay." Internally, Seifert started to promote the "Project WIN", which was communicated as the reorganization that will return AMD to its heights, and naturally majority of engineers and marketing thought that AMD is preparing for a campaign in which the company would advertise its strengths and "go for gold". In fact, this reorganization was preparation to lay off between 10-15% of the company staff, with the culling in engineering and marketing department. The financial team was not cut, HR was not cut - and most of 'fat' remained where they were before (one of our sources calls this 'fat', but most of them called it 'sludge' or 'mud').

Following the forced exodus of their colleagues, engineering departments starting to suffer from a major brain drain, with Apple, Samsung and Synaptics profiting the most. We spoke with numerous sources on why they departed from AMD, and the most damning comment was, "CFO could not see a golden goose even if he tripped over it." When a person credited with changing the industry tells you that, you have a tendency of giving it quite a bit of weight. Still, all these opinions come from reliable people, so judge for yourself.

As a consequence of 'Project WIN', AMD's CEO Rory Read has had difficult time to reorganize the company and push it as a custom SoC maker. Mr. Seifert's focus on management instead of sales lead to miscalculations in terms of which AMD products sell, and which don't. A good example of this is Fusion - AMD had issues with Llano availability and starved the channel for launch, only to end up with supply, while the company did not order enough wafers from TSMC with Brazos (Ontario/Zacate), which according to our sources, are in continuous short supply and AMD is missing out on around 4-6 million units per quarter in orders.

However, the new team is showing the signs of progress. For example, the management of AMD China was recently laid off, after doing absolutely nothing to win the 10 million+ GPU deal for the school market in China. The management did not want to work with the advisors to the Chinese government, and the deal was only brought forward after NVIDIA executives botched the deal.

Jul 29, 2012
Internally, Seifert started to promote the "Project WIN", which was communicated as the reorganization that will return AMD to its heights, and naturally majority of engineers and marketing thought that AMD is preparing for a campaign in which the company would advertise its strengths and "go for gold". In fact, this reorganization was preparation to lay off between 10-15% of the company staff, with the culling in engineering and marketing department. The financial team was not cut, HR was not cut - and most of 'fat' remained where they were before (one of our sources calls this 'fat', but most of them called it 'sludge' or 'mud').

Rofl, ouch. If true, very damning. As if the company could even exist without competitive products. As if the company's marketing and mindshare wasn't already terrible

Unless the finance people are wizards who can make good decisions beyond counting beans or looting the company, and HR are wizards who can find and attract geniuses and saviors to the company, and it was in fact random engineers and marketers who were the bloat - but somehow I find that dubious

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2009
Bulldozer is fail, Piledriver is going to fail. They can't compete with Intel on the CPU side, which is their MAIN business.

Edit: They had an edge with Llano and failed on delivery. So many things wrong with their execution i dont even know how they manage to still hang around.. maybe Intel is being too kind.

They are going to burn and drag down a very competitive GPU player in ATI with them.. sad.

Last edited:

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Intel needs them to be around. So, they will be kind. If AMD becomes unstable (more so than it is now) and threatens to close it's doors, I could even see Intel splitting to form an additional company just to buy AMD and then INtel could compete with itself and avoid anti-trust or monopoly charges.
:p

NIGELG

Nov 4, 2009
Intel and Nvidia must be competed with.AMD must be saved by someone who can really run a company.Or else we can look forward to more thousand dollar videocards/processors.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Rule number 1. Never buy stock on feelings or emotions. Rule number 2, the bank always wins.

Last edited: