AMD's response to the gtx670

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
You probably run your CPU at stock. But I have not seen any 2500k in history which won't do 4.2 with over volt or even nearly stock volt. Should intel sell it at 4.2 for you to buy it? Lol, you are really behaving like a noob now.

There was a time when stock intels were better than stock amds but amd oc beat the crap out of intel oc. Everybody bought amd and everybody won. Whether this actually happened or is hypothetical that is irrelevant. In such a case I would buy amd but a noob would buy intel. This isn't the case btw those two companies ATM tho. But I prove my point about who is the noob here. Your stock clocks prove that too

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
You probably run your CPU at stock. But I have not seen any 2500k in history which won't do 4.2 with over volt or even nearly stock volt. Should intel sell it at 4.2 for you to buy it? Lol, you are really behaving like a noob now.

There was a time when stock intels were better than stock amds but amd oc beat the crap out of intel oc. Everybody bought amd and everybody won. Whether this actually happened or is hypothetical that is irrelevant. In such a case I would buy amd but a noob would buy intel. This isn't the case btw those two companies ATM tho. But I prove my point about who is the noob here. Your stock clocks prove that too

You are obviously out of educational reach.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
Yes and Bulldozer is also nice at 6Ghz vs a stock SB/IB.

And 1200Mhz? You cant even reach that yourself can you? And at what wattage? 375W?

This. You have the same cooler I have on my 7850. Push that card past 1200.

Last edited:

TestKing123

Sep 9, 2007
I have posted an analysis of one of the only reviews online where both cards are above 1200mhz, 680 was 1340 MHz and 7970 was around 1250 MHz. It is an article by overclock3d and I posted the analysis here. Despite being clocked 100mhz less the 7970 was 5% faster asan index at 1080p 8x aa

5% faster as an index? :lol: [not very cool] mathamatics. Anything to defend your purchase :)

That very site reinforces the fact that an OC 680 routinely "copes up" and beats an OC 7970, all the while using less power and lower temps, regardless of your cherry picked conclusions. Now we have custom OC 670's that routinely beats a 680 and 7970 at the same time while using much less power and costing much less, so now which is the better card again Mr. "I want to compare every 670/680 to a 1200Mhz 7970 even though my own 7970 can't do it"? :lol:

Oh yeah, since you ignored it before I'll say it again, AMD's 3D performance sucks. I know from experience.

No racial slurs or even hints of racism please.
Doesn't matter what your own ethnicity is, unless you plan on explaining it to everybody who ever reads everything you post with racial slurs.

Moderator jvroig

Last edited by a moderator:
May 13, 2009
$400 for a gtx 670 with aftermarket cooling, true 3d support, great drivers, and out of the box 7970/680 performance. I'm definitely not complaining.
I was very adamant in the fact I was skipping this generation of cards. Value for the $ just wasn't there for me. Well until the 670 dropped. AMD had their chance. They swung for the fences and missed. How many guys just on this forum bought the 670? Tons. That's potential customers that Amd missed out on. Maybe if Amd was more aggressive on pricing they'd have 79xx series cards instead of gtx 670's.

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
5% faster as an index? :lol: [redacted] mathamatics. Anything to defend your purchase :)

That very site reinforces the fact that an OC 680 routinely "copes up" and beats an OC 7970, all the while using less power and lower temps, regardless of your cherry picked conclusions. Now we have custom OC 670's that routinely beats a 680 and 7970 at the same time while using much less power and costing much less, so now which is the better card again Mr. "I want to compare every 670/680 to a 1200Mhz 7970 even though my own 7970 can't do it"? :lol:

Oh yeah, since you ignored it before I'll say it again, AMD's 3D performance sucks. I know from experience.

I actually calculated the performance difference in percentage, for each gaming benchmark when both were overclocked. You can do that yourself, will take 30-60 minutes or so.

At stock a 680 was around 5% faster than a stock 7970. Once overclocked 7970 was 5% faster.

The 680 was less noisier, less power and $50 cheaper. That is why it was a better buy.

But it isn't faster. Calculate each benchmark yourself and find the percentage difference, not FPS difference.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
An OC 680 will "cope up" and beat an OC 7970 overall, this has been shown countless times all ready. Especially in games where the 7970 already suffers a massive deficit against the 680 (and 670), like Battlefield 3.

Oh, and a stock reference 670 will slaughter an OC 7970 in 3D performance. AMD HD3D and Tridef have way too much overhead compared to 3D Vision, it's not even funny. Of course I don't expect Indians to know much about 3D, especially after that half-assed 3D attempt with Ra-One.

Please, go ahead and defend your hardware some more. :)

5% faster as an index? :lol: Indian mathamatics. Anything to defend your purchase :)

Resorting to racial slurs to discredit a fellow member is not an acceptable way to make your argument among educated people. It shows ignorance, and little else.

TestKing123

Sep 9, 2007
I actually calculated the performance difference in percentage, for each gaming benchmark when both were overclocked. You can do that yourself, will take 30-60 minutes or so.

At stock a 680 was around 5% faster than a stock 7970. Once overclocked 7970 was 5% faster.

The 680 was less noisier, less power and $50 cheaper. That is why it was a better buy.

But it isn't faster. Calculate each benchmark yourself and find the percentage difference, not FPS difference.

You want to claim (rather selectively biased I might add) that an overclocked 7970 is 5% faster than a 680, meanwhile you assign "ties" in cases where the performance difference is 10% or less (most of which favor the 680). Your own words "Difference of 5-10% is Tie here, since it isn't really noticeable, anything over 15% gain is a win."

[last sentence removed by mod]

No racial slurs or even hints of racism please. Doesn't matter what your own ethnicity is, unless you plan on explaining it to everybody who ever reads everything you post with racial slurs.

Moderator jvroig

TestKing123

Sep 9, 2007
Resorting to racial slurs to discredit a fellow member is not an acceptable way to make your argument among educated people. It shows ignorance, and little else.

Show's how much you know. I'm an Americanized Indian pulling this guy's "stuck in India under my parent's roof" chain. I thought he might have gotten it with the Ra-One reference, did you?

No racial slurs or even hints of racism please. Doesn't matter what your own ethnicity is, unless you plan on explaining it to everybody who ever reads everything you post with racial slurs.

Moderator jvroig

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
I will compare both Oced using that article. Will make and show an index of all gaming benchmarks

Max fps won't be included

Where both get > 60 fps minimum won't be included.

I will make two indices, one where minimum fps and average fps have the same weight age. And the other one where minimum fps has twice the weightage.

I will do in within 24-48 hours.

And please don't forget my conclusion based on what I already did earlier and now repeat.

A stock 680 is 5-10% faster than a stock 7970, as an average. Too small to be and upgrade but a 680 is the overall winner.

Once both are Oced, they tie, within 5-10% of each other based on the game, but usually very close and just a side grade but an upgrade. You can't go wrong with either based on your games.

But, using the games and settings this website used, 7970 was 4-5% better once Oced tho even that oc is too noisy for most. But here 7970 was theoretically a bit better but still a side grade.

Overall both are equally good for practical purposes especially if you overclock past 1100.

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
I know a 7970 isn't exactly better even when overclocked, but it isn't worse than a 680 oc. Each wins based on the game. My point is that 680 oc isn't an upgrade, both are a side grade and practically equally good. Amd has more VRAM while nvidia has a few other strengths but 7970 isn't worse overall.

If you want I can make an index and show based on the above conditions. Ok? :)

They are very close and none is faster practically

TestKing123

Sep 9, 2007
I will compare both Oced using that article. Will make and show an index of all gaming benchmarks

Max fps won't be included

Where both get > 60 fps minimum won't be included.

I will make two indices, one where minimum fps and average fps have the same weight age. And the other one where minimum fps has twice the weightage.

I will do in within 24-48 hours.

And please don't forget my conclusion based on what I already did earlier and now repeat.

A stock 680 is 5-10% faster than a stock 7970, as an average. Too small to be and upgrade but a 680 is the overall winner.

Once both are Oced, they tie, within 5-10% of each other based on the game, but usually very close and just a side grade but an upgrade. You can't go wrong with either based on your games.

But, using the games and settings this website used, 7970 was 4-5% better once Oced tho even that oc is too noisy for most. But here 7970 was theoretically a bit better but still a side grade.

Overall both are equally good for practical purposes especially if you overclock past 1100.

You can scour the internet for benchmarks but i suspect it will still be selectively "fitted" to reach a predetermined conclusion. Yes, I am doubting your scientific methods simply from what you've shown thus far. If you want to give the community an unbiased "report" of your findings, then the only proper way would be to get a 680 of your own, install it on your own system (and therefore have an apples to apples system comparison with the 7970), and run your own suite of gaming benchmarks at all available resolutions and settings.

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
I won't buy just for that, but if you want I can do it with overclock3ds article :) give links to other places where they oc high and I will compare. Mostly neither is Oced enuf :) ok?

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Why don't you prove it using the percentage differences derived from that article. Will give you 20 bucks if you do that.

Why would you pay me money? Don't you think that is over the top? You have the highest number of posts in these recents threads than anybody I have ever seen in the video forum. You have an agenda to somehow prove that the 7970 is a better graphics card than a GTX670 or even a 680. It seems to me that it is beyond an obsession and I'm only saying this as an observation. I'm sorry, but I can't sit and argue with somebody who is obsessive on the given topic because any argument that not only I could or would present, but anybody else on the forum, would mean nothing to you. So, I'm sorry. Folks here will just have to sit and observe your posts and learn your style and behavior. If they haven't already. You of course will have some people come to your aid, as you can see, but most likely have a history of AMD favoritism. That is normal.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Wow bickering over fps differences that cannot be felt when you actually play the game. Amazing...

TestKing123

Sep 9, 2007
I won't buy just for that, but if you want I can do it with overclock3ds article :) give links to other places where they oc high and I will compare. Mostly neither is Oced enuf :) ok?

What is your definition of enough? You cannot stably hit 1200hz yourself, but yet you use 1200mhz as a recurring standard in this and other threads.

Feel free to use any website you wish. As long as your methods are PROPER and UNBIASED, I have a feeling your conclusions will finally come in line with the rest of us. (If not, we can sing and dance to "Om shanti om" but I really don't see that happening).

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
What is your definition of enough? You cannot stably hit 1200hz yourself, but yet you use 1200mhz as a recurring standard in this and other threads.

Feel free to use any website you wish. As long as your methods are PROPER and UNBIASED, I have a feeling your conclusions will finally come in line with the rest of us. (If not, we can sing and dance to "Om shanti om" but I really don't see that happening).

Better watch the personal slurs dude. I don't appreciate them and I'm sure nobody else does either. FYI.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003

HD7970 is very good at 1200mhz, but it's not that fast at stock. Everyone knows it but you. Countless reviews show it getting stomped all over by as much as 20-30% in modern games by the 680.

Here is a GTX670 OC Review ($430 card) that has no problem beating a stock 7970. Here in the US/Canada, HD7970 costs almost anywhere from $50-100 more than a GTX670. But there is a caveat: The $450 Sapphire Dual-X is prone to coil whine. The next cheapest HD7970 that reached >1200mhz is the $485 HIS.

GTX680 is not just 5% faster than HD7970. On average it's more like 8-10%, but what makes the situation far worse for the 7970 is that the performance delta is more like 15-20% in more recent games (the reason the average gets brought down is because older games such as AvP and Metro 2033 allow 7970 to hang in there). But most people today buy the card to play modern games, not AvP, which isn't even a great game to begin with.

And when it comes down to SKYRIM and BF3, it's not even close. If MSI Lightning, HIS, and Gigabyte 7970 OC were $450, it would make the 7970 competitive. But not everyone wants to gamble with the Sapphire Dual-X and then be stuck with coil whine.

HD7950 is so far behind, it would need to be overclocked 40-50% in some popular games just to catch up. While a lot of us like overclocking, not many people are going to spend $400 to take a gamble that their card will reach the necessary 40-50% overclock needed to match a $400-$440 card out of the box. And that's before Direct CUII 670 drops which is one of the quietest high-end GPUs ever made.

Crysis.png

BF3.png

I can totally understand users who run a lot of distributed computing/programs that rely on double precision, use specific programs that fly on the 7970 such as LuxRender, do bitcoin mining, then HD7970 is still great. For gamers, AMD would need to launch 1.05ghz+ versions with after market cooling at $450 to make it justifiable over after market 670s.

The first > 1Ghz HD7970 from AMD is a reference model with a loud fan blower for almost $500. That's overpriced.

Last edited:

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
This thread is completely lost.Despite my poor knowledge abot "Engineering Economics" i think only proper economics of words can steer this thread in the right direction ;)

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I read chips are binning high. AMD should not have issue if they react with 7975 7955 @ 1100Mhz.

7950 literally has 40-50% OC potential since it ships @ 800Mhz.

Anyway - when you look at modern reviews with new drivers AMD beats OCed 6xx at it's own high speeds since it has so much potential.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/gigabyte-gtx-670-oc-windforce-3x-2gb-review/15831-3.html

Problem is they failed to react day 680 was released and 90% don't buy on "potential" but out of the box experiences. Once people have 680 and 670s in hand, opportunity is lost.

Just like they lost lots of opportunity with outrageous pricing on 79xx and 7870 specifically.

AMD has a good businessman problem not a hardware problem.

Last edited: