AMD's GPU Q3 2012 marketshare - 14% declines across the board to NVIDIA

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
chimaxi83 said:
Huh? AMD doesn't support 120 hz? That's news to me
Well there's a hack or something that "supposedly" works. 100hz is it.
7870 works fine with 120Hz if monitor says it supports it. It's quite misleading to say "AMD doesn't support 120Hz" without qualifying, when in reality the case is that AMD doesn't let you run out of manufacturer's advertised spec without hacks, while nV makes it easier for those people who know (or think they know) what they're doing.

May 13, 2009
I don't think many will disagree if I offer nVidia is a predator and aggressor and without strong competition their teeth may show as they devour value for the gamer. No doubt, pro-active, innovators but one may have to pay a predator premium, one may imagine.

I get uneasy when I see this share differential. Ideally, desire 50/50 and for a few quarters around two years ago, this idealism came to fruition -- great times for value for consumers.

The market won't support predator premiums IMO. I enjoy PC gaming. If the prices get crazy or I don't get proper value for my money I won't buy. I believe many PC gamers share this opinion.

Look at Intel. They really have no competitor in the CPU realm yet they still offer value otherwise no one is going to upgrade their PC.

May 13, 2009
7870 works fine with 120Hz if monitor says it supports it. It's quite misleading to say "AMD doesn't support 120Hz" without qualifying, when in reality the case is that AMD doesn't let you run out of manufacturer's advertised spec without hacks, while nV makes it easier for those people who know (or think they know) what they're doing.

Why would they not allow 120hz? That's just flat out stupid and cost them a sale. I know I've read people elsewhere that passed on AMD for the same reason.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Why would they not allow 120hz? That's just flat out stupid and cost them a sale. I know I've read people elsewhere that passed on AMD for the same reason.

This is the first time I have heard of this. Are you trying to "overdrive" your LCD to 120Hz? AFAIK, if the monitor supports 120Hz, AMD cards are able to do it. I have never tried running a higher refresh rate than what the monitor manufacturer says is possible so I don't know if there is a limitation there.

Feb 19, 2009
The market won't support predator premiums IMO. I enjoy PC gaming. If the prices get crazy or I don't get proper value for my money I won't buy. I believe many PC gamers share this opinion.

Look at Intel. They really have no competitor in the CPU realm yet they still offer value otherwise no one is going to upgrade their PC.

Intel has their own fabs, they need high volume clearance otherwise those fabs are sucking $$.. its an entire different situation.

They've been competing with themselves for several generations now.

Siberian

Jul 10, 2012

Yeah I don't think that when AMD is gone, that it will affect the market that much.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
Yeah I don't think that when AMD is gone, that it will affect the market that much.

What makes you say that? What reason would Nvidia have to keep prices down and make big generational leaps if they are competing only with themselves? It would be easy for them to shrink R&D expenses and give consumers a 15% increase each gen. Works for Intel with less performance increases than that.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
If AMD ends up selling it's IP, and the GPU division iIs up for grabs, I see either Apple or IBM as the top contenders (although IBM would be more of a dark horse / unlikely scenario). I am not sure if Apple buying AMD's GPU division would be good or bad for consumers and pc gamers....

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003

Sure it will. I know you're absolutely itching to buy Nvidia cards for double what they are. However, I think I speak for the normal, unbiased crowd here when I say that no AMD would be a bad thing.

ICDP

Nov 15, 2012
WTF? Are you serious? Thats more than enough to keep me far away from any aMd card forever.

AMD 7xx0 cards do support 120hz monitors, they come with DL-DVI and display port outputs. Your OTT response kinda implies you have not researched before you posted.

This is how internet "truths" start :)

Last edited:

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Lol you guys are displaying, in real time, how false BS rumors get started :rolleyes: Please come over and tell my 7970 Lightning that it doesn't support 120 hz without hacks and workarounds. We're waiting. You guys can he said-she said hearsay you're way through it.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Lol you guys are displaying, in real time, how false BS rumors get started :rolleyes: Please come over and tell my 7970 Lightning that it doesn't support 120 hz without hacks and workarounds. We're waiting. You guys can he said-she said hearsay you're way through it.

This kinda stuff happens when nVidia loses the performance crown (I know the 690 is the fastest card, but it's $1000 so who cares?). All kinds of AMD shortcomings appear out of nowhere. You know, there new drivers really suck. They only look so good because their old drivers were such fail. Don't buy an AMD card because you won't have a warranty. They're power hogs (Pay no attention to the 1.3v they pumped into it.). Only buy them if you want to O/C and you know there's no guarantee with the silicon lottery (Never mind that they're faster at stock clocks too.). You miss out on PhysX (Even though there's been exactly one game that uses it released all of this year.) Crossfire sucks (Don't look at any recent reviews though. We've got some from March that tell the story the way we want you to hear it.) They ripped everyone off with their 28nm pricing (Even though for months now they've been better value than nVidia. nVidia is premium. It's OK to pay more for their cards.). They have CUDA. (Never mind that you'll likely never use it.). Etc... etc... etc... Just more of nVidia's superior marketing. :thumbsup:

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
You miss out on PhysX (Even though there's been exactly one game that uses it released all of this year.)

Hawken Closed Beta: PhysX Effects Preview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIn3NoMgxgo&feature=player_embedded

http://physxinfo.com/news/9897/hawken-closed-beta-physx-effects-preview/

PlanetSide 2 Closed Beta: PhysX Effects Preview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcJlTUgZTT8&feature=player_embedded

http://physxinfo.com/news/9951/planetside-2-closed-beta-physx-effects-preview/

Last edited:

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
AMD's market share disaster is because of 2 reasons.

1. Poor marketing.
2. Strategy and Execution failures.

When a company loses 10% market share in the notebook market in a single quarter it means it has failed miserably in getting design wins for this generation. plain and simple. Design wins take place much before the generation starts. for ivybridge discrete GPU those wins must have taken place last year. This has been one of the worst failures in recent times by AMD. this in fact is on a scale comparable to Bulldozer not from performance point of view but from a design win point of view. massive failure for AMD. There could be many reasons. One of them could be Optimus is a more robust solution for the notebook space. AMD has not matched Nvidia in terms of quality and simplicity/ease of use of its solution. AMD needs to improve this with the HD 8000 series or else the Haswell designs will also be a fail on this scale.

The desktop market is something where Nvidia has traditionally been stronger and always maintained 60% market share. The worst time was when the HD 5000 series took market share in mid 2010 and AMD hit 45% and Nvidia dropped to 55%. But in the current generation Kepler's success and AMD's inability to time and execute on product updates has cost them dearly. The HD 7970 Ghz and HD 7950 boost should have launched in late June along with 12.7 beta. Instead because of AMD's poor management of older products inventory and the delayed retail availability of HD 7970 Ghz and HD 7950 boost Q3 has been hurt badly. AMD's failure to manage inventory of older products and time their new product releases has cost them Q3 marketshare heavily.

Lastly AMD should learn that first impressions are always lasting and best impressions. the strong Kepler launch reviews have cemented its image in the consumers minds. Kepler is a phenomenal marketing success and case study on how to execute on a product launch from a hardware/software point of view. The performance improvements in 12.11 drivers have arrived a bit too late to make an impact this generation. They might make some impact going forward but Nvidia will quickly answer back with the GTX 700 series products.

Last edited:

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Oh good, more PhysX talk in an AMD thread. Well done.

Nvidia is RIGHT in the thread title, as well as AMD. Comments like yours here are feeble at best.

" AMD's GPU Q3 2012 marketshare - 14% declines across the board to NVIDIA"

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
When a company loses 10% market share in the notebook market in a single quarter it means it has failed miserably in getting design wins for this generation.

I wonder how much of the share loss is due to Apple using Kepler this year instead of ATI in their Macbook Pros that include discrete. Don't know if Apple is that big.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
I wonder how much of the share loss is due to Apple using Kepler this year instead of ATI in their Macbook Pros that include discrete. Don't know if Apple is that big.

yeah losing Apple both on the iMac and Macbook Pro must have hurt AMD. Apple is using mobile Kepler chips on both platforms. This generation Nvidia swept Apple. In previous generations AMD atleast would be in one of those designs. But the big fail is on ivybridge notebook discrete GPU design wins with PC notebook OEMs. Apple cannot alone account for a massive 10% market share of the notebook discrete GPU market.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
The result is predictable and a direct consequence of RR decision to try to protect margins, thereby trying to keep 7 series prices high.

A total disaster of a decision. He underestimated the NV brand value, marketing and sales force.

It look like a beginners fault, because fx, just a few in this forums thinks AMD can charge the same as NV for the same performance. They never had, and for the foreseable future will not be able to.

Keysplayer is a perfect example of the excellent NV marketing and its effect on keeping prices higher than competing AMD cards with the same performance.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
So it's MY fault AMD is going under? Didn't think I had it in me. Whew I need to bring it down a notch or two. Thanks for the reality check Krumme. :thumbsup: