AMD's GPU Q3 2012 marketshare - 14% declines across the board to NVIDIA

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
By 2 generations of extremely good products for dirt cheap; 48xx and 58xx series. AND IMPORTANTLY: By NV's failure with a very late counter and the huge rip off that was the 8800 series prior. It was a perfect situation for AMD to capitalize. This wasnt because AMD was flashing its logo everywhere, back then they didnt push hard into GE, or at all.

You want brand recognition, and the "by product" of ppl paying premium for your stuff? Need to advertise more and become a common name amongst gamers. If the guy loading up Black Ops II sees an AMD logo, its gonna stick even if not conciously, on a subconcious level. Gaming Evolve is going to pay back big time for AMD, IMO.

I'm not going to disagree that awareness doesn't help but to me, it's nVidia's pro-active nature that also helps define the brand name. Consumers are not going to pay a premium unless you offer differentiation or an improved experience for the premium, imho. For all the whining about nVidia is the reasons why they succeed. By spending extra resources on trying to improve gaming experiences for their customers.

You have to outwork nvidia with hardware and software.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
I'm not going to disagree that awareness doesn't help but to me, it's nVidia's pro-active nature that also helps define the brand name. Consumers are not going to pay a premium unless you offer differentiation or an improved experience for the premium, imho. For all the whining about nVidia is the reasons why they succeed. By spending extra resources on trying to improve gaming experiences for their customers.
Like I said before, I own a high end card from both vendors. For all your Nvidia marketing speak, in reality the actual experience is basically the same. Now I know my Radeon card is faster, but it is not a lot faster. Most people would never, ever notice the difference. What is comes down to is brand perception, not actual brand capability. Perhaps you actually think that the marketing buzzwords make your gaming experience better, obviously there are many people that share this sentiment.
Consumers are not going to pay a premium unless you offer differentiation..
Consumers will pay a premium is they THINK they are getting something better, not if they actually are. That is the differentiation that is important.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I'm seeing a lot of points above about what AMD should do. Problem is, if they were to do these things, it would be about 3-5 years too late. Maybe more.

And things people have been saying for nearly a decade. Yet AMD has failed to do any of the suggestions or did them poorly. AMD is where AMD is because of AMD. Not because of Intel, or Nvidia, or because the stars aligned poorly. And i dont expect AMD to do any of the suggestions with any level of competence in the future.

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
You notice most users who come to forums asking for advice on GPUs.. they say they want NV only because of Physx. As far as i can see, its still the only good feature that separates them.

Which is funny, because to me all the other things are so much better than PhysX. I've been sorely disappointed with PhysX aside from Batman AC due to bad bad performance. If at least there were like 10 games a year with it, but the current state is just sad. Other stuff like AO, downscaling and AA bits I use regularly, they provide a real benefit in my opinion. PhysX...not so much ;)

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
For me, I enjoy 3d vision flexibility, appreciated LightBoost, Control panel AA for titles like Diablo3, commitment of not offering optimizations that go behind the developers back, learning from the long and winding road of the past and a slippery slope, even though they may lose frame-rates, forced on ambient Occlusion, which I enjoy, AA bits with nV inspector, the ability to add different samples with super-sampled transparency -- for example with x16 CSAA + x4 TRSSAA is too much of a hit with Stereo3d in WoW but x16 CSAA + x2 TRSAA is fine. Have the flexibility for TRMSAA and TRSSAA -- the filtering has been impressive, while moving since the 8800GT. PhysX is a nice treat at times, adaptive V-sync and frame limiters are used daily. Now use the automatic and manual lod adjustments with SGSSAA. As a MMO player as well it is nice to see multi-GPU and stereo 3d in windowed mode.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Look back three years and everyone was 'gloom and doom' about NV. They were just kicked-out of the chipset business and they had AMD/ATI on one side and Intel on the other, who was just starting their focus on better iGPUs. They pushed aggressively into the professional graphics section with CUDA and have since then dominated workstation graphics as well.

Unfortunately, at the same time, AMD graphics has languished on the professional side (read: HUGE profits), was very sluggish with Brook+/openCL until recently, and has gotten less efficient while NV has gotten more efficient.

After reading this thread, I agree with a lot of what others have said. The products are good, but the support (professional drivers still lacking), marketing, and execution leave so much to be desired.

One last related note is that the price cuts for 79xx and 78xx didn't hit until 3Q. They happened, if I recall correctly, at the end of July? 78xx followed in August. These probably helped 3Q reqults, but if they had been more aggressive and did these BEFORE the 6xx launch, you would see a 7970 in my signature. I wanted the best card I could get for ~$420..:)

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Like I said before, I own a high end card from both vendors. For all your Nvidia marketing speak, in reality the actual experience is basically the same. Now I know my Radeon card is faster, but it is not a lot faster. Most people would never, ever notice the difference. What is comes down to is brand perception, not actual brand capability. Perhaps you actually think that the marketing buzzwords make your gaming experience better, obviously there are many people that share this sentiment.

Consumers will pay a premium is they THINK they are getting something better, not if they actually are. That is the differentiation that is important.
Nailed it. Again, consumers are idiots. It's the same reason Apple (until recently) has done well as a company. My GPU literally makes me money, yet probably <1% of AMD GPU buyers actually mine bitcoins. There is literally no better perk when buying a GPU, yet so few take advantage of it. In the end people are sheep, they want to be told what to do and what to buy, and once they have bought in want to be told they're awesome for making the right choice and then join the circlejerk of fellow buyers so they can all feel good about themselves. Masterful marketing is the key to being a successful business.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Doom and gloom indeed! There was a quarter from nVidia where revenue fell off a cliff:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/119...end-1-25-2009-earnings-call-transcript?page=3

What did go through their collective minds here?

AMD has had several of these quarters though, and they have also had massive layoffs twice in the past 13 months. They are cash strapped and are facing shrinking shares in all the markets in which they compete. Nvidia was able to bounce back from that doom and gloom quarter, whereas AMD only significantly good quarter in the past two years was the one where Intel paid out a billion dollars to them.

Bobisuruncle54

Oct 19, 2011
It's due to stupid fanboys, they are everywhere, it's just that a lot of them are Nvidia loyalists.

Those that thought initial 28nm pricing was justified, are ignorant consumers.
Those that think the mid-range jumping up in price was fine, are ignorant consumers.

The list goes on and on and on, including some in this very thread such as MrK6 who are pretending as if they are objective consumers but follow marketing like sheep.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Yes of course. AMD's massive woes *must* be the fault of everyone else.

It could not be that it's a poorly managed company. Nope, never. Gotta be the "sheep".

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
It's due to stupid fanboys, they are everywhere, it's just that a lot of them are Nvidia loyalists.

Those that thought initial 28nm pricing was justified, are ignorant consumers.
Those that think the mid-range jumping up in price was fine, are ignorant consumers.

The list goes on and on and on, including some in this very thread such as MrK6 who are pretending as if they are objective consumers but follow marketing like sheep.
Umad, bro? Seems like you have an axe to grind against me. Must be because I was right almost a year ago. :)

And yes, I must follow marketing because bitcoin mining is so marketed. :rolleyes: This is another interesting phenomenon: when someone presents an objective analysis or an expanded view on the capabilities of hardware, many people whine and complain. I'm not sure if they simply lack the intelligence or understanding of hardware or are upset that they didn't think of it first or didn't take advantage of it. There was similar whining in initial threads when the 7970 was first released and people couldn't believe the overclocked performance early adopters were getting because the "pretty line graphs" from official reviews didn't show it. Again, ignorance and the lack of understanding of hardware in general betrayed them.

Like most walks in life, the people who are objective, insightful, and intelligent enough to think outside the box reap the benefits. I'm very much glad consumers are as ignorant as they are. If everyone bitcoin mined, difficulty would be absurd and it'd be very difficult to make a reasonable profit. I didn't say it was a bad thing that consumers are idiots, as it allows me to make money on things like bitcoining, I'm just stating that they are. :D

Last edited:

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Umm. When you're done tooting your intellectually superior horn, would you care to comment if you think AMD is the source of there own woes, or if the blame lies elsewhere?

Bobisuruncle54

Oct 19, 2011
Umad, bro? Seems like you have an axe to grind against me. Must be because I was right almost a year ago. :)

And yes, I must follow marketing because bitcoin mining is so marketed. :rolleyes: This is another interesting phenomenon: when someone presents an objective analysis or an expanded view on the capabilities of hardware, many people whine and complain. I'm not sure if they simply lack the intelligence or understanding of hardware or are upset that they didn't think of it first or didn't take advantage of it. There was similar whining in initial threads when the 7970 was first released and people couldn't believe the overclocked performance early adopters were getting because the "pretty line graphs" from official reviews didn't show it. Again, ignorance and the lack of understanding of hardware in general betrayed them.

Like most walks in life, the people who are objective, insightful, and intelligent enough to think outside the box reap the benefits. I'm very much glad consumers are as ignorant as they are. If everyone bitcoin mined, difficulty would be absurd and it'd be very difficult to make a reasonable profit. I didn't say it was a bad thing that consumers are idiots, as it allows me to make money on things like bitcoining, I'm just stating that they are. :D

Way to go off topic, but never mind. Keep thinking your hot **** "bro".

You're arrogant to the point of delusional. The 7000 series was over priced. Every thing since its release has demonstrated this. You just enjoyed being able to show off your new shiny new silicon and "status" as if you are some kind of elite nerd.

Last edited:

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Umm. When you're done tooting your intellectually superior horn, would you care to comment if you think AMD is the source of there own woes, or if the blame lies elsewhere?
Already did, go re-read the thread. Except in extreme circumstances (e.g. natural disasters), companies have no one to blame for their failures except themselves. If consumers are idiots, better start making products for idiots, it's that simple.

Why, because your inept attempt at a personal attack went down in flames? Go troll elsewhere.
You're arrogant to the point of delusional. The 7000 series was over priced. Every thing since its release has demonstrated this. You just enjoyed being able to show off your new shiny new silicon and "status" as if you are some kind of elite nerd.
I don't think you understand what the word delusional means. Everything I said and proved a year ago is true today; therefore it's not much of a delusion, is it? A 7970 on release was $550, which was less than 6970 CF while providing similar performance, on a single GPU, with much less power consumption. Furthermore whatever surcharge I acquired by being an early adopter was easily negated by the head start I got on bitcoin mining. Again a little forethought and insight paid off well. In the end, if you have a problem start another thread as I don't want this one to go off topic. And you should probably avoid the personal attacks, that's not looked kindly on around here.

Last edited:

ICDP

Nov 15, 2012
The current AMD financial problem is in no way attributable to Nvidia vs AMD GPU marketshare. AMD's main source of revenue is their CPU division and they haven't been competitive for years.

The AMD GPU division accounts for maybe 6%-8% of their revenue. Even if the GPU market share was reversed and AMD had 60% of the market it would only increase their revenue by 3%-4%. That is a drop in the ocean compared to the CPU division losses.

AMD are failing due to nothing but bad management.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Just a reminder to some posters. Chill out, it's just hardware.

Hey everyone, thanks for keeping everything civil so far for the most part. Just a friendly reminder, continue to do so because
83950959.jpg

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Truth is, we don't know how yields were early on, it could be very well that AMD needed to price their flagship at $549 to make it worth while... its not a tiny chip and it was built on a new process. We just don't know. I paid the premium for my card, and I don't regret it at all, I paid the early adopter tax.

And talking overpriced, it could easily be argued that the GTX670/680 are priced too high compared to AMD's lineup.

Off topic: It is ok to disagree with someone, but I would suggest doing it respectfully. The tone of your post is not going to help this converstation, things will go south quickly. Let's all play nice. :)

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
AMD has had several of these quarters though, and they have also had massive layoffs twice in the past 13 months. They are cash strapped and are facing shrinking shares in all the markets in which they compete. Nvidia was able to bounce back from that doom and gloom quarter, whereas AMD only significantly good quarter in the past two years was the one where Intel paid out a billion dollars to them.

Rory Read has a lot of work to do and obstacles to overcome. Maybe a marketing, awareness campaign for BitCoins to help sell gaming cards? :)