AMD Ryzen (Summit Ridge) Benchmarks Thread (use new thread)

Page 101 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjt2

Sep 11, 2016
You are really misinformed here.

Do you know how IPC is increased?

Do you know the process of increasing IPC increases structure SIZE and POWER?

Do you really think +40% comes free?

Do you realize how adding so many transistors in a smaller area with higher work done per cycle creates huge thermal density problems?

And how they affect the chip?

ALL of these factors are interlinked.

Forget process for now (capacitance, Vth and wire delay).

You either aim for a high IPC/low clocks design or a low IPC/high clock design.

More work per logic COSTS size/power!

There is no such thing as both possible in science!

Even when you have an excellent balance, it is about the process, the yields, and the market. Process factors are so tricky, many do not have a known cause with errors. Just 'poor reliability'.

I questioned you about Vth, capacitance and the rest of GloFo PROCESS qualities as soon as you were 'developing' them, and they still remain unanswered to date.

Show me ONE x86 desktop/server MFG that released a new uarch with MUCH higher IPC + higher core count + higher clocks + much lower power from their previous chip, in the past 15 years.

Just one.

OMG.

You make all the worldd best, most intellectual researchers seem so backwards

More stages->less logic per stage=deeper pipeline=higher latencies=lower IPC=higher possible clocks

Have a read of some FO4/IPC basics because you're reasoning is non-sensical and scientifically impossible:
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/skeckler/pubs/isca00.pdf

Table 7 shows you exactly what I've described.

Intel has a far superior process for all intents and purposes. Why did they not see superstellar gains?

Show me where they doubled cores, increased clocks, doubled caches and structures (added much higher IPC) AND decreased power at the top of their line.

AMD never clarified anything about WHICH Core at WHAT MHz/Voltage during WHICH workload under WHAT conditions for WHICH part of the traditional curve has the same energy per cycle.

In other words, it can really be used for nothing.

Sent from HTC 10
(Opinions are own)

I surrend. You are right. Zen will clock at 2GHz with P4 IPC and 220W TDP...

I wrote many things, based on known data on process, FO4 and other related stuff. You throw away all only by saying "no one ever did that so AMD can't" (obviously no one is INTEL), without explaining why.

Tell me how come A12 9800 clock at 4.0/4.2 with 65W including GPU on the shitty 28nm BULK process with HDL libraries without melting down.
Tell me how come it overclock at 4.9GHz on air on this shitty process without melting down.
Tell me how a 19 stage integer pipeline processor of the same company can have an higher FO4 than a 15-20 stage processor, when they passed from a 4 way scheduler to 6 1 way scheduler, that is FASTER. They are crazy? Why simplify the scheduler if this costs IPC? It's to clock higher.
Tell me how come a speed daemon design on a better process should clock lower. Because has high IPC? Because high IPC means higher consumption? This is true at same process. But Zen it's on 2 nodes better and finfet vs bulk. AMD stated SAME ENERGY/CYCLE per core between XV and Zen. This means that 2 Zen cores draw THE VERY SAME POWER an XV module at same frequency. So a 4 Zen core at 4GHz draw same power that the cores of an A12 9800, a 65W part INCLUDING the GPU. A 4Ghz base 8c Zen at 95W should be feasible.

bjt2

Sep 11, 2016
SB had legendary OC ceiling though. Zen is also not an iterative design. We simply don't know.

Zen has a much simpler integer scheduler. This costs IPC. I don't think that they did that to save transistors. They did that to further lower the FO4 and furter increase clocks.

rtsurfer

Oct 14, 2013
Current Max stable clocks(suicide runs can be a teeny bit higher) for A0 ES Zen chips is around 4.3Ghz on ambient cooling. Take that as you will.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
While i dont think we will see much more then 3.2/3.5 for launch (if they can squeeze a couple extra 100mhz that would always be nice) but this are just nothing words, There is nothing inherently obvious from an architecture perspective that says Zen targets a lower clock range. It will all come down physical design choices of which we know nothing about and LPP performance.
SB had legendary OC ceiling though. Zen is also not an iterative design. We simply don't know.

Yeah, Sandy was nice. Interestingly, as IPC went up with Ivy and beyond, that OC ceiling came down. SKL began to reverse that trend, and KBL has a good chance of finally pushing ahead of what SNB was able to do.

Intel has a super high bar to clear with Ice Lake.

* There is a trade-off between IPC and frequency. The most extreme example of this is Apple A10, which has until A8 been on very low frequencies. Generally, a longer pipeline means lower IPC but higher frequency, and vice versa. (Source.)

* Clock speed is also impacted, of course, by the process node. FinFET is known to have slightly different IV characteristics than planar FETs. Particularly, FinFETs have a steeper sub-threshold slope, but lower post-threshold slope. This has caused 22nm Ivy Bridge, Haswell to reach lower frequencies than planar 32nm Sandy Bridge. (Source, article).

* Both high-level architectural as well as process choices can be mitigated by low-level, nitty gritty design choices and optmizations. A very stunning, telling example of this is Intel's 14nm (non-plus) Tick-Tock generation Broadwell and Skylake. Broadwell-C, which came from the very mobile focused Broadwell-Y lineage*, didn't reach high clock speeds, in a similar vein to how the 22nm generation had done, but the Skylake architecture has reversed that trend and has, at long last, equalled SB frequencies.

That last point about Skylake clock speed was actually predicted by AT forum member III-V, and is now being confirmed again by the Kaby Lake 14nm+ generation. So SKL/KBL frequncies are a combination of the 14nm process (and certainly the 14nm+ one) being better than planar on all levels because of the improved process and because the fin penalty was only a one-time tax, and because of the architectural focus on high performance.

small_Broadwell-Power-Reduction.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2006
Current Max stable clocks(suicide runs can be a teeny bit higher) for A0 ES Zen chips is around 4.3Ghz on ambient cooling. Take that as you will.

Interesting, can you share any details on your source?

rtsurfer

Oct 14, 2013
Interesting, can you share any details on your source?
Not without costing someone their job.
You can take my post as BS if you wanna. I won't mind.

But I saw all this freq discussion (been silently reading the thread for a few months now) and thought I'd pitch in.

Freq wise, it looks close* to BW-E, no word on performance though (IPC).

Reactions: dfk7677 and sirmo
Mar 10, 2006

But I saw all this freq discussion (been silently reading the thread for a few months now) and thought I'd pitch in.

I was more interested in your confidence in that source :)

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013

That Max stable frequency, is that common freq, or do you have to win the silicon lottery to get there?

rtsurfer

Oct 14, 2013
Max stable (benchmarking can be done a bit higher) & sample size wasn't that big. So I would say common, not ultra rare.

Edit:- To clarify. This was overclocked, but stable overclock, not suicide.

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
Max stable (benchmarking can be done a bit higher) & sample size wasn't that big. So I would say common, not ultra rare.

Okay, then I'd say 4.3GHz is pretty good actually. That sounds high enough to yield some decent clocking SKUs to be competitive with i5.

Tuna-Fish

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2011
That Max stable frequency, is that common freq, or do you have to win the silicon lottery to get there?

At this point, sources outside AMD typically only have a handful if not just single chip to test, so there's no way for them to know. AMD might have hand-picked the highest-clocking ones (for example, if they expect actual production chips to have higher clocks on average, and so want MB makers to test those), or they might have just sent the next 4 off the end of the line.

nismotigerwvu

Golden Member
May 13, 2004
Or they are just handing out whatever lot comes off the line. Point blank, we don't know what the retail chips will be like until they are in reliable hands.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Where are these things fabbed?

Mar 10, 2006
Broadwell was poor in this regard for Intel standards, HEDT and DT. Skylake-X should do much better.

Agree, Broadwell is frankly the worst architecture that Intel has fielded in YEARS from an enthusiast perspective. Negligible IPC gain from Haswell, clock regression. The 6950X was interesting because it gave us 10 cores, but the underlying core was a disappointment.

Reactions: KTE

rtsurfer

Oct 14, 2013
Where are these things fabbed?
I do not know.
I have never physically touched the chip or seen pics.

I was just provided the Overclocking numbers from someone who's job involves working with ES. Sadly no voltage info for the clocks either.

Edit:- Skl-E is too far away to make any Clock statements. Judging by the LGA 1151 variant, it should do pretty good. But too early to say anything.

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
I do not know.

I was just provided the Overclocking numbers from someone who's job involves working with ES. Sadly no voltage info for the clocks either.
Did that person also tell you to go post that information on the interwebz?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I do not know.

Thanks. I was thinking if it was glofo we could expect the process to improve over time(above 4.3), if it is tsmc it is allready mature and ~4.3 is about what we are gonna get.. :).

bjt2

Sep 11, 2016

It's interesting. Link?

bjt2

Sep 11, 2016
https://twitter.com/TMFChipFool/status/807508414733709312

Broadcom Vulcan CPU details. 32 CPU cores, TSMC 16FF+, 3GHz frequency, 600mm^2 die size, 8 channel DDR4, 56 PICe lanes, 32MB L3 cache.

How come 32 core at 3GHz?!?!?

32MB L3, like Naples, 600mmq, means area about like zen (150mmq for 8 core), TSMC instead of GF...
It's probabily a custom design with low FO4... Will it have also low IPC? Only bench will tell... Because low FO4 does not imply low IPC...

Status
Not open for further replies.