AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 198 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
$117 on the egg for the 1600 is just insane value right now. So cheap it may be worth selling off my spare 8350 and well just going with that 1600. I kind of want the spare pc set up for gaming and the 8350 is kind of a sad excuse for that. Amazingly the AMD HD3000 onboard still has some use for youtube/streaming at 720p/1080p but with W7 support about ending, the current motherboard has issues with W10 and onboard video so a 1050ti will eventually land in that build with a W10 upgrade when my friends tower goes from a 1050ti to a 1070ti when i upgrade to perhaps a 1080ti or next gen $800 or so part. The 8350 build does have a cheap Dell oem psu atm so with a new gpu upgrade the CX750 is certainly being replaced and thus the CX430 in my friends tower will move on over to the 8350 and the 750 well to her tower. The circle of life if you wanna call it that. The 1070ti will max out what her i5 2500 can honestly handle at 1080p if its not already a bottleneck in about anything a i5 2500 and 8gb can officially handle.

The 16000 upgrade if i do for gaming should handily stomp the 8350 right? Most benchmarks show it compared to i5 8400/i7 8700 but the 8350 as a whole has been entirely left out of any benchmarks for quite some time now it seems. The 8350 i know certainly will bottleneck the 1070ti at 1080p on the 50'' tv when the 1070ti rotates over to the 8350. I did some 4k benchmarks and saw benchmarks with conservative settings already bottlenecking. Overwatch was the only title that saw no bottlenecks and delivered a 60fps+ experience.

Edit: Got the jump and decided its just time to replace the el cheapo CX750. I jumped on this beauty of a unit for $93 shipped out the door! https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-foc...x-650w/p/N82E16817151186?Item=N82E16817151186 The CX750 is hitting the 8350 set up. I got the CX750 just to power up the 1050ti and a i5 4460. Now to decide if a 1600 should replace the 8350 hmm.

Last edited:
Reactions: lightmanek

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Yeah, do it!

My little circle of life deal idea or plan as it were that i posted earlier fell on its face. My 1070ti actually crapped out this morning and well it very likely isn't covered by the warranty. Any funds for a 1600 type upgrade if i do it are now on hold. Actually if i get a 1080ti/2070super/5700xt its not even gonna happen till September so yay i got some options for like 4gb 960/cheap used 660 hold me over cards till then or i could punish myself with the HD630 which can't even do 4k 60hz.

Sadly just spent about $180 on a new motherboard and psu for the 8700 non k deal and here we go, no active gpu for my 4k monitor. At least i can play BF4 at 720p at 60fps avg on HD630! Between the gpu fail and the 6.4 earthquake today my day has been VERY eventful. Happy fourth if your american sir!

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
6.4 earthquake? Where?

Hope that you're OK!

Happened close to Ridgecrest Ca, about 90 miles from where i live. I think it has been the biggest since NorthRidge in 1994. I remember Northridge,i was a little kid and was woken up to that one. I was in the middle of a forum post when this one started, my monitor and desk started wobbling and well i froze. Walked away when it stopped. I waited for the after shocks then i came back to complete the post like maybe ten minutes later lol .

As far as being ok, oh yeah absolutely.

thigobr

Sep 4, 2016
South California... Here in the bay area we didn't feel.

Thinking about getting couple 32GB UDIMMs with Samsung M-Die chips to test with a new Ryzen CPU. Not patient enough to wait for the A-Die to reach the market...

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Bloody earthquakes, ruining people's GPUs etc.

@thigobr

Which DIMMS have the m-die in them again? Already got my RAM but still I'd like to see where it's being sold. Link?

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Bloody earthquakes, ruining people's GPUs etc.

@thigobr

Which DIMMS have the m-die in them again? Already got my RAM but still I'd like to see where it's being sold. Link?

The fail of my 1070ti happened little a bit before the quake lol. But in all seriousness if you got it secured like i did i doubt a quake can do that much damage. My monitor if anything is the only thing that came close to doing any kind of possible damage. It smacked a couple times against the tower but given the tight fit on my desk well i didn't exactly see the monitor ever doing that outside of extreme cases and well.

I don't think the fail of the 1070ti btw is funny. Your post kind of shrugs it off like a bad joke. You try and enjoy some HD630 loving on a 4k monitor but either are forced to run 1440p to get 60hz or deal with a migraine running it 4k at 30hz.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I don't think the fail of the 1070ti btw is funny. Your post kind of shrugs it off like a bad joke. You try and enjoy some HD630 loving on a 4k monitor but either are forced to run 1440p to get 60hz or deal with a migraine running it 4k at 30hz.

Oh fine. Sorry for your loss and all that. I HAVE used some janky graphics before and it's not all that bad. Look at the bright side, at least you had an Intel chip with a built-in iGPU. Had the used crappy 8800 Ultra I had on a previous machine decided to give up the ghost on my unlocked/overclocked x2-240 I ran about five years ago, I would have been completely screwed. I had no backup. Unless my 6800 NU was still kicking around somewhere but . . . I don't recall exactly where that is at the moment.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Oh fine. Sorry for your loss and all that. I HAVE used some janky graphics before and it's not all that bad.

True, i can play some Wizard101 at 1440p and pull dang close to 60fps but given its single core kind of nature like every other mmo/mmorpg you aren't getting 60fps on much of anything. BF4 i can play at a avg of 60 at 720p. Its certainly decent enough to hold me over till i decide what to replace it with. Given the nature of how i got the 1070ti and the addition of the Artic cooler, i see no way of honestly getting a honest warranty from Zotac.

BF4/GTAV and Overwatch currently the newest things i play and idk whats going on with Overwatch, i pull over what 100 fps at 720p which it defaults for the HD630 but i get pinged out cpu usage and stutter on a 8700 non k. But i wouldn't know if that is a driver issue or cause of a update i got asked to do before i could play. Looking into that one later.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Worst part about it is that losing a vid card now sort of puts you - or really anyone - behind the 8-ball. Cards aren't getting any cheaper. eBay has 1070Tis for $280 fwiw. Assuming the warranty on your dead card is void.

I wouldn't want to be going into the Ryzen 3000 launch down $280.

Feb 4, 2009
Oh Microcenter such a tease.....

6OB6Ztn.png

Reactions: lightmanek

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Worst part about it is that losing a vid card now sort of puts you - or really anyone - behind the 8-ball. Cards aren't getting any cheaper. eBay has 1070Tis for $280 fwiw. Assuming the warranty on your dead card is void.

I wouldn't want to be going into the Ryzen 3000 launch down $280.

At least between Navi and the Super cards,i got a new exciting toy to play with. Downside is that its going to be a August or September purchase. Upside is that i got a little time for Navi to offer something that isn't a god awful blower. Even better if i so wish i could wait till September and even afford the $699 rumored 2080 Super without it really breaking me. Its a $400 budget in August or a $800 budget in September. I doubt i will be all over the 2080 given what rumors i have heard but we won't know nothing till i believe July 23rd?

As far as Ryzen 3000 i am glad some people have something new to upgrade too but for 4k on my 8700 non k, there isn't any appeal for me to make that upgrade. I doubt there will be a big difference in a cpu limited situation to make a Ryzen 3000 upgrade remotely worth it for me. Maybe if my build went backl to a 1080p 144hz route perhaps but the 8700 non kind of does that with what i currently play anyways.

Gpu wise this will be the first time since the 7970 that i have been ahead of the curve on a gpu upgrade.

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
At a price $50 less than expected, too. Thanks AMD! Sort of. Maybe.

Hate to continue derailing a Ryzen builders thread with a response but a $399 5700Xt is certainly going to be affordable for me in August. Just barely though. Exciting time for cpu+ gpu upgrades. Maybe not as exciting as C2D+ 8800 series but this one may be the closest thing to it.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Hello old Ryzen builders thread! What good is a builders thread without some posts about teardowns? I just got finished decommissioning my R7 1800x to make ready for R9 3900x. Not much to report here (other than the fact that I lost my box for my BPX NVMe SSD, grr) until I got to the CPU. I had considered leaving the HSF mounted so I could just pop board + CPU + HSF with a known-good mount into another case someday for a new build. Now I'm glad I didn't.

This setup has been up and running mostly-untouched (only hauled it out to the garage for dusting 2 times) since late March 2017 when I got my eBay Taichi for $317 (ouch). It was my first time using Conductonaut. I was familiar enough with the Noctua mounting system than installing the NH-d15 was mostly painless.

I was expecting greyish crust all over the CPU and HSF when I unmounted the HSF ala CLU. Oh no, that's not what Conductonaut does.

It stays liquid.

Well, mostly. There was a cloudy streak down the middle of the IHS where apparently there was maximum contact. Or something. I saw the same streak reflected on the HSF base. It was nickel->nickel contact (no lapped surfaces) so aside from the streak there was no particular adhesion to the nickel surfaces. In retrospect I should have lapped CPU + HSF to at least see if Conductonaut would "corrupt" copper (and stick to it better).

The other thing is does is pump out.

I saw several (at least three) large dollops of Condoctonaut that had vacated the space between IHS and HSF base that rolled down the side of the IHS and just . . . stayed there, on the edge of the CPU pcb. Only a tiny bit got onto the board in an irrelevant location. Thankfully. I managed to sort-of roll some of the excess back onto the IHS with a coffee filter before removing the CPU from its socket. A tiny bit almost got onto the CPU pins, but I rolled it away with another coffee filter. Another tiny bit got onto the edge of the socket . . . but not into any of the pinouts.

At least theoretically board + CPU should work for someone else.

Kinda makes me wonder if I should use Conductonaut again. The contact pattern it exhibited matches the two-screw retention mechanism for the Noctua well-enough that I guess I shouldn't be surprised it behaved as it did. I have Kryonaut handy if I need it. The funny thing is the Conductonaut mount cooled so well for over two years, and yet it certainly looks like I got only partial contact between IHS and HSF for who-knows-how-long.

Anyway, farewell 1800x. You were a revolution two years ago. Hopefully I'll find a good home for you. Think I got a nice one where you can run stock for who knows how many years, without those loud fans attached. You get to stay with that top-bin b-die RAM too, and in your old Taichi motherboard. And maybe even the BPX but we'll see.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Kinda makes me wonder if I should use Conductonaut again.
After watching various videos of that stuff, and seeing people talk about it on various forums over the years, I personally wouldn't touch that stuff with a 10 foot pole.

Give me some good paste, and a good cooler.

Reactions: Makaveli

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
After watching various videos of that stuff, and seeing people talk about it on various forums over the years, I personally wouldn't touch that stuff with a 10 foot pole.

As a post-post mortem, it looks like Conductonaut got on some CPU pins (I guess?) and shorted out/killed my board during a test run to see if I could flash the board to a newer UEFI to sell it to someone else. Woops. I think the moral of the story here is that you should have at least one copper surface to prevent Conductonaut from rolling around all over the place.

• Wow
Reactions: Ajay

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
As a post-post mortem, it looks like Conductonaut got on some CPU pins (I guess?) and shorted out/killed my board during a test run to see if I could flash the board to a newer UEFI to sell it to someone else. Woops. I think the moral of the story here is that you should have at least one copper surface to prevent Conductonaut from rolling around all over the place.
:( :( :( :(