• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 200 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
Good to know!

As I plan for a 3900X upgrade I'm wondering if I shouldn't go ahead and move to a Noctua tower cooler or even an AIO.

Also, man, there's Crucial Ballistix Elite BLE2K8G4D36BEEA 2x8GB 3600CL16 kit at MC for $120... or a Trident Z RGB Neo F4-3600C16D-16GTZNC same 3600CL16 open box for $91... I may be stopping by MC today.

Any recommendations? Was leaning Ballistix as I believe this is an E-die kit?
I have ballistics likely e-die. 3200 cas 16 with zero problems. I haven’t tried any other speeds.
Only problem I had was I couldn’t get 4 sticks of 16GB to work (total of 64GB)
Warning I want to give was second cheap set came from an amazon seller so maybe it’s older stock or something.

nOOky

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2004
b-die is awesome for what it is, though when you get the lower-speed bins like FlareX, it's a crapshoot as to how far you can push it . . . and on Pinnacle Ridge, it's not going to go faster than DDR4-3466 in most cases anyway (DDR4-3600 in edge cases). Micron e-die is a budget champion overclocker right now, routinely hitting DDR4-3600 CAS/CL16. You should be able to hit the same timings as the FlareX with e-die at DDR4-3200 pretty reliably. Just use Ryzen Memory Calculator and off you go.

Blender isn't as harsh as some of those DC workloads. That one that Larry had us run is . . . woof. Solid, non-stop AVX2 hammering your CPU from every angle. I can run Blender @ 4350 MHz with my 3900x, but I had to step back to something like 4150 MHz to run that PrimeGrid mess. And it still ran hotter.

Thanks. I just replaced everything tonight, and cloned in a new 970 EVO 500 gig drive. It's too bad she has a closed case, the stock Ryzen cooler is pretty. Not pretty enough to buy a new case or window for though. The memory isn't running at 3200 yet, but I'm going to do a fresh install of Windows this weekend etc. so I'll spend more time tuning things after that.

It does seem to boot slower than expected, my Intel system is lightening fast. I'll go through everything including the mobo manual when I have more time. So far it seems Windows stuff feels quicker anecdotally.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I'm actually looking at a Ryzen 3900X/ASUS X570 TUF/DDR43600 32GB setup. Actually beats out Intel 9900x in almost all metrics besides gaming (most of the time) and a good deal cheaper platform. Any tips? Or at this point should I just wait for Ryzen 4?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I'm actually looking at a Ryzen 3900X/ASUS X570 TUF/DDR43600 32GB setup. Actually beats out Intel 9900x in almost all metrics besides gaming (most of the time) and a good deal cheaper platform. Any tips? Or at this point should I just wait for Ryzen 4?
Ryzen4xxx (Vermeer) should be out in July. Unless you're dying for an upgrade right now, I'd wait the five months and let prices on Matisse products go down. Then make a decision after the first set of reviews.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Ryzen4xxx (Vermeer) should be out in July. Unless you're dying for an upgrade right now, I'd wait the five months and let prices on Matisse products go down. Then make a decision after the first set of reviews.
Thanks. July isn't so long to wait. I've been discouraged by the upgrade path the past several gens from Intel with abysmal improvements for an entire platform change. For example, this 7600K doesn't seem much faster than the Sandy 2500K I had prior. I'm hoping to see a large (like the old days) improvement over what I have now. I don't game that much anymore but I do use my PC for work and I want it eye popping quick.

amrnuke

Apr 24, 2019
Thanks. July isn't so long to wait. I've been discouraged by the upgrade path the past several gens from Intel with abysmal improvements for an entire platform change. For example, this 7600K doesn't seem much faster than the Sandy 2500K I had prior. I'm hoping to see a large (like the old days) improvement over what I have now. I don't game that much anymore but I do use my PC for work and I want it eye popping quick.
Be sure you're keeping in mind upgrade path for Ryzen 4000 series. It sounds like it may be the last on the AM4 chipset. However, the IPC gains on AM4 are much more than Intel have delivered on their LGA1151 socket.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
As to that, I'm kind of used to having to upgrade platforms every few years. As long as the performance is worth it and can provide noticeable improvements over what I had previously, I can live with that. Waiting for July will give us a better idea about AMD's plans I suppose. End of AM4 or not.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
As to that, I'm kind of used to having to upgrade platforms every few years. As long as the performance is worth it and can provide noticeable improvements over what I had previously, I can live with that. Waiting for July will give us a better idea about AMD's plans I suppose. End of AM4 or not.
maybe look at TR3? 32 cores ought to do.

here is a silly build, just needs a PCIE4 nvme carrier card added to the mix

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/27mKsk

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That lquid cooler won't cut it, not TR$ sized.
Just needs a mounting bracket.

Humm probably too small a contact area.

replaced with enermax TR4 II 360

Last edited:

Markfw

CPU Moderator, VC&G Moderator, Elite Member
Super Moderator
May 16, 2002
Just needs a mounting bracket.

Humm probably too small a contact area.

replaced with enermax TR4 II 360
While full sized, I have had 4 of those . All failed in a year or less. The Noctua NH-U14s TR3 will do fine. It works on my 7742 EPYC and 7551 and 7601s and all my other TR's.

Here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074DX2SX7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Feb 4, 2009
While full sized, I have had 4 of those . All failed in a year or less. The Noctua NH-U14s TR3 will do fine. It works on my 7742 EPYC and 7551 and 7601s and all my other TR's.

Here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074DX2SX7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
So glad I hesitated and didn’t buy this during a woot off last year. Price was awesome but I hesitated because people appear to hate the controller software (kracken cooler) by the time I decided to say f-it they were sold out.

Meghan54

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2009
So glad I hesitated and didn’t buy this during a woot off last year. Price was awesome but I hesitated because people appear to hate the controller software (kracken cooler) by the time I decided to say f-it they were sold out.
I've been running one of NZXT's X52's, or its equivalent, for several years. Has worked flawlessly.....but the controlling software is horrid, as you have heard. And it's not the NZXT software that's especially bad but the monitoring software, which is open source and routinely locks up/starts using damned near all my available RAM, slowing my entire system down and necessating a reboot to get it working correctly again/etc., etc.

Wife has a Corsair 240 AIO unit and never screws up. So on my next build, the NZXT crap is getting thrown out.

Feb 4, 2009
I've been running one of NZXT's X52's, or its equivalent, for several years. Has worked flawlessly.....but the controlling software is horrid, as you have heard. And it's not the NZXT software that's especially bad but the monitoring software, which is open source and routinely locks up/starts using damned near all my available RAM, slowing my entire system down and necessating a reboot to get it working correctly again/etc., etc.

Wife has a Corsair 240 AIO unit and never screws up. So on my next build, the NZXT crap is getting thrown out.
as of now, zero problems with my Corsair h150i
controlling software is sort of weird to use but it works

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Is there any consensus as to how high temperatures Ryzen 3000 can be run at long term?
Not really. 95C is the supposed temp limit, but in my opinion, letting hotspots get that hot severely messes up the temp/clockspeed/voltage curve. You get much better clockspeed/voltage characteristics at lower temps.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
maybe look at TR3? 32 cores ought to do.

here is a silly build, just needs a PCIE4 nvme carrier card added to the mix

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/27mKsk
Heh, an 8000+ price tag is almost 10 times what I pay on average on a platform upgrade. Anywho, Linus just did a 64 core 3990 review and stated unless you specifically have software that can take advantage of so many cores, it's a waste of money. I personally don't. I do find my 7600K 4 cores pegged most of the time and probably could benefit from either a 9900X or 3900X at the most. Looking at benches, the 3900X is equal or slightly greater in perf. over the 9900X in anything up to 16 threads. 3900X takes off after that. But the 9900X is usually better for gaming (not that anybody would notice the difference. One question. How has the quality control been with AMD? Failure rate even a factor? I only ask because Intel has some pretty severe QA testing. I am not up to date.
Thanks.

Feb 4, 2009
Heh, an 8000+ price tag is almost 10 times what I pay on average on a platform upgrade. Anywho, Linus just did a 64 core 3990 review and stated unless you specifically have software that can take advantage of so many cores, it's a waste of money. I personally don't. I do find my 7600K 4 cores pegged most of the time and probably could benefit from either a 9900X or 3900X at the most. Looking at benches, the 3900X is equal or slightly greater in perf. over the 9900X in anything up to 16 threads. 3900X takes off after that. But the 9900X is usually better for gaming (not that anybody would notice the difference. One question. How has the quality control been with AMD? Failure rate even a factor? I only ask because Intel has some pretty severe QA testing. I am not up to date.
Thanks.
I’m only marginally qualified to answer this question so I’ll keep it brief.
On these forums I’ve yet to hear of a complete failure from a Ryzen chip. My asrock steel legend has been great which is totally different than a previous fx6300 system I built then rage quit upon.
I do have the weird Ryzen thing where the machine starts up slower than expected but slower means like 45 seconds.
Overall quality wise I’d say current ryzens & current motherboards B450 and beyond are about equal to Intel reliability wise.
Pre Ryzen amd boards from the FX days tended to be problematic, first gen Ryzen chips were picky about memory and such. Current gen Ryzen is not just put some effort into what motherboard & memory you choose.

Last edited:

Chicken76

Jun 10, 2013
Not really. 95C is the supposed temp limit, but in my opinion, letting hotspots get that hot severely messes up the temp/clockspeed/voltage curve. You get much better clockspeed/voltage characteristics at lower temps.
So running at low seventies for hours should be fine?

Markfw

CPU Moderator, VC&G Moderator, Elite Member
Super Moderator
May 16, 2002
Thanks.
Keys, good to see you, I don't remember seeing you on here lately.

As for current AMD quality, I read the forums a lot and keep up with "what to buy and what to do" and since my firsy Ryzen 1700x (still going 24/7 by the way) I have not had one problem with any of my Ryzen systems. By my sig, you can tell I have just a few.

Reactions: JimKiler

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Keys, good to see you, I don't remember seeing you on here lately.

As for current AMD quality, I read the forums a lot and keep up with "what to buy and what to do" and since my firsy Ryzen 1700x (still going 24/7 by the way) I have not had one problem with any of my Ryzen systems. By my sig, you can tell I have just a few.
Hey Mark. Good seeing you as well. Thanks for the info. I'll likely wait til July and see what shakes out then.
And thanks Fanatical Meat for the info. It's funny you mention the FX days. That was primarily the reason I asked about AMD reliability/compatibility. Good to hear all seems to be well. I'm actually looking forward to my next rig. I really wasn't juiced moving to this 7600K when I did.

ASK THE COMMUNITY