AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 200 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That lquid cooler won't cut it, not TR$ sized.
Just needs a mounting bracket.

Humm probably too small a contact area.

replaced with enermax TR4 II 360

Last edited:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Just needs a mounting bracket.

Humm probably too small a contact area.

replaced with enermax TR4 II 360
While full sized, I have had 4 of those . All failed in a year or less. The Noctua NH-U14s TR3 will do fine. It works on my 7742 EPYC and 7551 and 7601s and all my other TR's.

Here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074DX2SX7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Feb 4, 2009
While full sized, I have had 4 of those . All failed in a year or less. The Noctua NH-U14s TR3 will do fine. It works on my 7742 EPYC and 7551 and 7601s and all my other TR's.

Here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074DX2SX7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So glad I hesitated and didn’t buy this during a woot off last year. Price was awesome but I hesitated because people appear to hate the controller software (kracken cooler) by the time I decided to say f-it they were sold out.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
So glad I hesitated and didn’t buy this during a woot off last year. Price was awesome but I hesitated because people appear to hate the controller software (kracken cooler) by the time I decided to say f-it they were sold out.

I've been running one of NZXT's X52's, or its equivalent, for several years. Has worked flawlessly.....but the controlling software is horrid, as you have heard. And it's not the NZXT software that's especially bad but the monitoring software, which is open source and routinely locks up/starts using damned near all my available RAM, slowing my entire system down and necessating a reboot to get it working correctly again/etc., etc.

Wife has a Corsair 240 AIO unit and never screws up. So on my next build, the NZXT crap is getting thrown out.

Feb 4, 2009
I've been running one of NZXT's X52's, or its equivalent, for several years. Has worked flawlessly.....but the controlling software is horrid, as you have heard. And it's not the NZXT software that's especially bad but the monitoring software, which is open source and routinely locks up/starts using damned near all my available RAM, slowing my entire system down and necessating a reboot to get it working correctly again/etc., etc.

Wife has a Corsair 240 AIO unit and never screws up. So on my next build, the NZXT crap is getting thrown out.

as of now, zero problems with my Corsair h150i
controlling software is sort of weird to use but it works

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Is there any consensus as to how high temperatures Ryzen 3000 can be run at long term?

Not really. 95C is the supposed temp limit, but in my opinion, letting hotspots get that hot severely messes up the temp/clockspeed/voltage curve. You get much better clockspeed/voltage characteristics at lower temps.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
maybe look at TR3? 32 cores ought to do.

here is a silly build, just needs a PCIE4 nvme carrier card added to the mix

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/27mKsk

Heh, an 8000+ price tag is almost 10 times what I pay on average on a platform upgrade. Anywho, Linus just did a 64 core 3990 review and stated unless you specifically have software that can take advantage of so many cores, it's a waste of money. I personally don't. I do find my 7600K 4 cores pegged most of the time and probably could benefit from either a 9900X or 3900X at the most. Looking at benches, the 3900X is equal or slightly greater in perf. over the 9900X in anything up to 16 threads. 3900X takes off after that. But the 9900X is usually better for gaming (not that anybody would notice the difference. One question. How has the quality control been with AMD? Failure rate even a factor? I only ask because Intel has some pretty severe QA testing. I am not up to date.
Thanks.

Feb 4, 2009
Heh, an 8000+ price tag is almost 10 times what I pay on average on a platform upgrade. Anywho, Linus just did a 64 core 3990 review and stated unless you specifically have software that can take advantage of so many cores, it's a waste of money. I personally don't. I do find my 7600K 4 cores pegged most of the time and probably could benefit from either a 9900X or 3900X at the most. Looking at benches, the 3900X is equal or slightly greater in perf. over the 9900X in anything up to 16 threads. 3900X takes off after that. But the 9900X is usually better for gaming (not that anybody would notice the difference. One question. How has the quality control been with AMD? Failure rate even a factor? I only ask because Intel has some pretty severe QA testing. I am not up to date.
Thanks.

I’m only marginally qualified to answer this question so I’ll keep it brief.
On these forums I’ve yet to hear of a complete failure from a Ryzen chip. My asrock steel legend has been great which is totally different than a previous fx6300 system I built then rage quit upon.
I do have the weird Ryzen thing where the machine starts up slower than expected but slower means like 45 seconds.
Overall quality wise I’d say current ryzens & current motherboards B450 and beyond are about equal to Intel reliability wise.
Pre Ryzen amd boards from the FX days tended to be problematic, first gen Ryzen chips were picky about memory and such. Current gen Ryzen is not just put some effort into what motherboard & memory you choose.

Last edited:

Chicken76

Jun 10, 2013
Not really. 95C is the supposed temp limit, but in my opinion, letting hotspots get that hot severely messes up the temp/clockspeed/voltage curve. You get much better clockspeed/voltage characteristics at lower temps.

So running at low seventies for hours should be fine?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Thanks.
Keys, good to see you, I don't remember seeing you on here lately.

As for current AMD quality, I read the forums a lot and keep up with "what to buy and what to do" and since my firsy Ryzen 1700x (still going 24/7 by the way) I have not had one problem with any of my Ryzen systems. By my sig, you can tell I have just a few.

Reactions: JimKiler

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Keys, good to see you, I don't remember seeing you on here lately.

As for current AMD quality, I read the forums a lot and keep up with "what to buy and what to do" and since my firsy Ryzen 1700x (still going 24/7 by the way) I have not had one problem with any of my Ryzen systems. By my sig, you can tell I have just a few.
Hey Mark. Good seeing you as well. Thanks for the info. I'll likely wait til July and see what shakes out then.
And thanks Fanatical Meat for the info. It's funny you mention the FX days. That was primarily the reason I asked about AMD reliability/compatibility. Good to hear all seems to be well. I'm actually looking forward to my next rig. I really wasn't juiced moving to this 7600K when I did.

Feb 4, 2009
Hey Mark. Good seeing you as well. Thanks for the info. I'll likely wait til July and see what shakes out then.
And thanks Fanatical Meat for the info. It's funny you mention the FX days. That was primarily the reason I asked about AMD reliability/compatibility. Good to hear all seems to be well. I'm actually looking forward to my next rig. I really wasn't juiced moving to this 7600K when I did.

yup that’s exactly what I did before my amd build. I swore I wouldn’t buy amd again post my disastrous fx6300 with not one, not two, not three but four motherboard failures within 2 years.
I was going to go intel but now intel has regular security holes that need to be patched and each patch slows them down a little bit. No end in sight for the patches either.

MBrown

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
I just recently built my new Ryzen system (see sig). I had initially went to get a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max after doing some research on it, but the Microcenter salesman convinced me to get the Asus Prime X470 Pro. I quickly read the reviews online on my phone and saw that there were numerous issues with the Asus board, but I went against by judgement and bought the Asus anyway because it was an X470 and it happened to be cheaper than the MSI B450. The Asus board was nothing but issues and ended up frying my CPU. I had to replace my 3700X and returned the Asus for the MSI I was originally going to get in the first place. Smooth sailing from there.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
I just recently built my new Ryzen system (see sig). I had initially went to get a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max after doing some research on it, but the Microcenter salesman convinced me to get the Asus Prime X470 Pro. I quickly read the reviews online on my phone and saw that there were numerous issues with the Asus board, but I went against by judgement and bought the Asus anyway because it was an X470 and it happened to be cheaper than the MSI B450. The Asus board was nothing but issues and ended up frying my CPU. I had to replace my 3700X and returned the Asus for the MSI I was originally going to get in the first place. Smooth sailing from there.

I hope it was not too much of a hassle. I also got the Tomahawk for my secondary PC and while the BIOS is basic it works. MSi has the best B450 boards and I am an ASUS guy.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002

I remember building AMD Althon systems back in the day and then my network administrator friend who was not the neophyte i was finally built an AMD Althon but used that POS Soyo Dragon motherboard and never got it to run stable.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Just wrapped up my build today
Thermaltake S300 case (80 bucks)
3900x
Gigabyte Aorus Elite x570
32gb ram
Seaonic focus 650
Random SSD's I had lying around (860evo and a sandisk ultra.)

Thought I'd give the stock cooler a try to give it a fair shake.

Idle, and I use that term loosely with the bouncing around this chip does is around 30c to 42c. Blender benchmark had it hovering in the 70's and briefly hit 80, other wise under real world load it looks to be more lot to mid 60's.
Chipset seems to enjoy 56c-57c. I have yet to see it leave that 55c-60c area
Other temps tend to be in the 20's and 30s (VRM mos, system etc etc)
This is all on air with a single 140mm up front, a 120mm out back and big old 200mm up top. low to mid rpms.

Coming from my old 2700K which was whisper quiet no matter what the load was (25c idle and under load barely squeaked in the 50's - Room@18C). Used a simple CM212 plus with a pair of scythe silent fans from ages ago.

Going from that to the Wraith sucks. Sucks pretty bad. Spent some time to day fiddling with fan profiles but as soon as a load justifies its like someone is running a vacuum. Wraith cooler is doing its job and effectively keeping the proc at reasonable temps but the noise output of this thing is unacceptable to me.

No surprises during setup of the gigabyte other than instant regret loading up there app center crap and getting hit with Norton and f'n toolbars. Minor surprise seeing the old school caps on the audio chip. Otherwise, chipset fan doesn't even come on until it hits 60+. General layout is fine. Would have liked to see a fan header closer to the front of the board.

Until I nab a new cooler, I'm going to stick with the old 2700K for general use.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@pauldun170

You tried any undervolting yet? For my 24/7 settings, I run everything default, but I have LLC set to the lowest possible setting, and I use a negative voltage offset. Your UEFI should be the same as mine since we're both on Aorus boards. Give it a try.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
No surprises during setup of the gigabyte other than instant regret loading up there app center crap and getting hit with Norton and f'n toolbars.

PRO tip -> despite what they say in site, for example for BIOS flashing from windows, the crap center is not required, just install the @Bios tool.
Undervolting does indeed work, but You need to test both ST and MT performance. CB20 is good for MT, but takes too long for ST, so use CPU-Z test to get a quick estimate and see if there is no problems with ST performance.
I'd try each offset from -0.025 to -0.1V to see if some are decent.

But honestly this is $$$ problem - i can personally recommend Dark ROCK PRO 4, it is pricey, but easy to install on AM4. Aside from huge size and DRAM height limitations it is incredibly silent and performant.
And people from this forum will recommend myriad of water coolers, some nearly as cheap as 212.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Undervolting does indeed work, but You need to test both ST and MT performance. CB20 is good for MT, but takes too long for ST, so use CPU-Z test to get a quick estimate and see if there is no problems with ST performance.
I'd try each offset from -0.025 to -0.1V to see if some are decent.

I used SuperPi 1.5 mod XS since a run takes less than ten seconds at 1M, and clockspeed makes a big difference in performance. I admit my undervolt does cost me a little max ST speed (I think my max boost clock is 4525 MHz or 4550 MHz, which you never get except in very narrow use cases anyway). My MT scores went up drastically, and lightly-threaded applications stayed the same.