AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 170 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
I'm running GSKill 3000 15-16-16 ram @ 3066 14-15-15 settings on my Prime B350 Asus mobo. Its on the Agesa 1.0.0.6 bios. AMD didn't joke when they said they would try to improve the possibility for ram clock-speed improvements. My ram chips are Hynix as well not Samsung B-Dice.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
How are the OC options on the K7? They aren't great on the K5 or at least weren't - I haven't looked at all the options on the latest BIOS update.

The latest UEFI update incorporating AGESA 1.0.0.6 finally brought the board to a reasonable state. Before that XMP was a crap shoot and there were odd glitches that required loading defaults/clearing CMOS/reflashing BIOS to fix.

funks

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2000
Just an UPDATE, Asrock just released P3.0 of the UEFI for the Taichi Board which comes with AGESA 1.0.0.6a. I can now run the DX12 AOTS-Singularity benchmark without it crashing to the desktop every time SMT is enabled. The previous UEFI was P2.4 which came with AGESA 1.0.0.6.

Ashes of Singularity - Escalation (v2.3 latest) - when SMT mode is enabled in the BIOS, the DX12 benchmark crashes to the desktop (after running for a bit), DX11 mode is unaffected. If I disable SMT mode on the BIOS, the DX12 benchmark completes just fine without issues.

System Configuration:

Motherboard: Asrock Taichi X370 (with V2.4 UEFI) - also happened on my Gigabyte AB350-GAMING 3. CPU: RYZEN 1700X Memory: 32GB DDR4 (2133 MT/s) GPU: EVGA GTX1080TI (also happens on GTX1070 FE) Driver: 384.76 OS: Windows 10 x64 (OS BUILD 15063.413) - running AMD Chipset 17.10 drivers and the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan

Steps to Reproduce:

1) Execute Ashes of Singularity - Escalation
2) In Video Settings, make sure it's using DX12 mode then Restart
3) Try running the built-in benchmark using "GPU Focus" Scenario. Make sure it says DX12 model, and that 16 logical processors are listed in the CPU section.
4) Run benchmark.

Expected Behavior:

Benchmark Completes

Actual Behavior:

Application Crashes to Desktop consistently when SMT is enabled.

Additional Observations:

Cleanly installed windows, ran Intel Burn Test, Memtest86, Prime95 stress test for 8 hours without any issues. Tried both Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3, and my current board (after clean reinstall) but the problem keeps occurring when SMT mode is enabled.

Any ideas?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I was afraid I'd have to go X370.

On the plus side, that Gigabyte X370 Gaming is really cheap. I don't know how much worse it is than the K5 though.

Newegg seems to have the Taichi on sale for $189.99 for a few more hours. Is that still regarded as the top AM4 board? How is it in terms of overclocking capabilities?

The Taichi is a very good board. I would not say it is the best for everyone. Some folks want/need the C6H. And a few people have said that they are more likely to hit DDR4-3600 on the K7 than they are the Taichi or C6H. The power delivery on the Taichi is the best, though. Absolutely top-notch.

Reactions: Drazick

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
Strix X370-F BIOS impressions.

It's clear that most BIOS makers haven't taken any classes on UI design. Asus is no exception. There is so much stuff crammed seemingly everywhere that for the uninitiated it could be daunting. It took me probably 20 minutes to get a handle on how they do overclocking and voltage and where to find everything I need. The onscreen explanations are about as useful as the GT7's chinglish.

AI Tweaker is where the OC settings are. Set the values to manual and then set the value. STandard stuff. There is however a lot of scrolling. Oh and nested menus for the lose.

RAM. This was actually the easiest setting to find and set. Set mode to DOCP if using RAM with XMP. It should grab the XMP profile automatically.

CPU OC Set CPU clock to manual and increase FID. The target clock is at the top left even though you are changing the value in the middle of the screen and the right side of the screen shows the saved values. The FID info is on the bottom left which is the formula for calculating the target value. Took me a minute to figure out what clockrate I was setting. This whole section could be vastly better.

Digi+VRM menu. I know what this is, but maybe just "Power" would be better. This is where you find VCORE and LLC amongst other things.
-VCORE only has an override option. No adaptive. I don't believe this actually matters with Ryzen because even on the GT7, Ryzen's power saving always works with override or adaptive. You'd actually have to disable the power parts of SenseMI for it to function like a true override. This is OK by me.
-LLC. Steps 1-5. Low to high. This is not explained anywhere. In my testing it looks like step 5 = exact value you set VCORE to. Steps 1-4 allow varying degrees of vdroop. I don't really like this. It definitely needs to be explained in whatever way it works, but I can't think of any reason why you would want anything, but a little droop, exactly VCORE, or a little more voltage than VCORE. It is however safe the way these did it. I think Asrock goes high to low? Definitely don't want people blasting their chips with voltage if they don't know what they are doing.
-Other options. Asus has a bunch of options to change the way the VRM phases function. Straight up modes for your VRMs. This is really cool, but again zero information what it's actually doing and the pros and cons of one setting vs another.

Additional notes. This board runs a lot cooler on benchmark runs than the GT7. GT7 would heat up the CPU noticeably faster. This was part of my hypothesis that there is something not quite right on my particular GT7.

Asus is the Samsung of motherboards. Cram as much stuff and bloat into where ever there is space. The BIOS options are expansive, but it's a cluttered mess. I can't even imagine being new to PC overclocking and trying to figure the Asus BIOS out. The good is that so far everything just works. I haven't had to fight the board itself. Not having to go through the 5 failed POST reset sequence is much appreciated. Overall that is what is what is most important.

ScottAD

Jan 10, 2007
Asus is the Samsung of motherboards. Cram as much stuff and bloat into where ever there is space. The BIOS options are expansive, but it's a cluttered mess. I can't even imagine being new to PC overclocking and trying to figure the Asus BIOS out. The good is that so far everything just works. I haven't had to fight the board itself. Not having to go through the 5 failed POST reset sequence is much appreciated. Overall that is what is what is most important.

-Clipped for readability. I hate quoting longer posts, moar scroll plz.

Sounds promising. I do think they should work on UI design to improve UX for pretty much any UEFI. I haven't found a UEFI that I've been blown away with. May snatch this up after I get back from Myrtle beach, no sense in buying it now and spending beach time thinking about bench time...what a nerd I am.

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005
Just an UPDATE, Asrock just released P3.0 of the UEFI for the Taichi Board which comes with AGESA 1.0.0.6a. I can now run the DX12 AOTS-Singularity benchmark without it crashing to the desktop every time SMT is enabled. The previous UEFI was P2.4 which came with AGESA 1.0.0.6.

Thanks for the update. I'm excited to do an update tonight when I get home and play around with overclocking a bit more. I ended up having to go back to stock as it's been near 110F outside for the last week and a half. The 1700 at 3.9 was hitting nearly 75c which was too much for my taste.

Crumpet

Jan 15, 2017
So I came across this in a youtube comment section on Ryzen overclocking;

randomyoutubeguy said:
I had the SAME problem. Dimitry, disable the overtemp protection on your motherboard. I did so and it was stable 24/7 after. It's all about the incorrect temperature reading of the CPU. Your motherboard is thinking it's overheated when it's not. Hwinfo, HWmonitor, Aida64 all reported CPU temps of 60c when I'm at 3.9ghz, but using Cam (Nzxt x62 Kraken reported 109c. I realized it's the same temp that the Tctl was reporting; which was causing the crashes).

Now I'm wondering if disabling overtemp protection on my Crosshair Hero VI would allow me to make my overclock more stable.

Question is, is it 1) doable, 2) safe

I have adequate cooling, Kraken X62 280mm rad, and I can push 4.15ghz as gaming stable, but 4.2ghz isn't benchmark stable.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Speaking of AIOs, what do you guys recommend as the best 240 mm AIO to cool a Ryzen 1700x assuming 1.3-1.4 v and 4 Ghz? Yes, I know the top-end Noctuas give similar performance for lower cost, but I'm in a compact case and the available air coolers for this form factor just don't cut it IMO.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I wanted to thank everyone that has posted their experiences in this thread. Reading through it ensured my build went buttery smooth. Nothing fancy - 1500x, Asrock AB350 Gaming K4, 2x8GB Geil Super Luce DDR4 3000 (running@2933). No overclocking yet.

Keep the great info coming.

Crumpet

Jan 15, 2017
Speaking of AIOs, what do you guys recommend as the best 240 mm AIO to cool a Ryzen 1700x assuming 1.3-1.4 v and 4 Ghz? Yes, I know the top-end Noctuas give similar performance for lower cost, but I'm in a compact case and the available air coolers for this form factor just don't cut it IMO.

Kraken X52 in my opinion, even though CAM software is still fairly rubbish and crashes most days.

Though you can't really go too far wrong with any of the Asatek supplied AIOs to be fair.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I wanted to thank everyone that has posted their experiences in this thread. Reading through it ensured my build went buttery smooth. Nothing fancy - 1500x, Asrock AB350 Gaming K4, 2x8GB Geil Super Luce DDR4 3000 (running@2933). No overclocking yet.

Keep the great info coming.

The 1500X is a great little CPU. I was running out of time and needed a second gaming system for a LAN party I hosted in May and I got a deal on a 1500X combo from Newegg. I'm now replacing that with a 1700X I got a deal on and will find another use for that 1500X. :)

Reactions: richierich1212

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Kraken X52 in my opinion, even though CAM software is still fairly rubbish and crashes most days.

Though you can't really go too far wrong with any of the Asatek supplied AIOs to be fair.

I looked heavily at the Kraken X52, but I saw a comment that the CAM software has to be running in order to maximize cooling. Is that true? Did it come with an AM4 bracket? Sorry for that last question, but I've reviewed so many AIOs the last couple of days that I don't remember which ones come with AM4 brackets or not. :)

EDIT: I'm assuming you can also mount fans on the other side of the radiator for a push-pull, correct?

Crumpet

Jan 15, 2017
I looked heavily at the Kraken X52, but I saw a comment that the CAM software has to be running in order to maximize cooling. Is that true? Did it come with an AM4 bracket? Sorry for that last question, but I've reviewed so many AIOs the last couple of days that I don't remember which ones come with AM4 brackets or not. :)

EDIT: I'm assuming you can also mount fans on the other side of the radiator for a push-pull, correct?

New ones might come with a bracket but I had to preorder mine from NZXT. I'd check with them.

CAM doesn't need to run to be running, you can run it once then ignore it forever once you have your set preferences, though like I said the software is buggy and it often forgets my lighting choices :/

And yes you can push pull, but um.. don't be like me and put screws straight through the rad. Even if it looks like they go straight through, and there's no resistance when you're screwing them in, turns out all your doing is going through metal fins. Yay me. (luckily I missed the water pipes by like.. a mm)

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
This is what I am currently thinking for my new build
CPU: Ryzen7 1700
MB: X370 Taichi
Ram: Team Dark Pro 8GBx2 DDR4 3000 CL14
Powersupply: Corsair CS750M
Case: Rosewill Stealth

from old computer
Storage: 512 GB SSD, and 5tb HDD
Video card: R9 290

Only real thing I am debating on is if I want to spend the extra money on the Taichi, when there are other options for around 110-130 that might work just fine.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
New BIOS for my board's out... but I think I'll actually skip it this time! Taichi should have a AGESA 1.0.0.6a update also

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
3.7-3.8 most likely

You can probably get away with B350 then. Sometimes you get insane VRM/mobo temps out of those. Try to keep vcore around 1.25v at the most and see what you can get out of it.

The Taichi is a great board, I just don't see that it will help you much in that range unless you specifically need it for some other feature, like the built-in wifi or . . . whatever.

New BIOS for my board's out... but I think I'll actually skip it this time! Taichi should have a AGESA 1.0.0.6a update also

It does have 1.0.0.6a in UEFI rev 3.0 . I haven't tried it yet, but I probably will in a short bit.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
You can probably get away with B350 then. Sometimes you get insane VRM/mobo temps out of those. Try to keep vcore around 1.25v at the most and see what you can get out of it.

The Taichi is a great board, I just don't see that it will help you much in that range unless you specifically need it for some other feature, like the built-in wifi or . . . whatever.

It does have 1.0.0.6a in UEFI rev 3.0 . I haven't tried it yet, but I probably will in a short bit.

Sounds like I should just look for ram compatibility, and features then.

ASRock X370 Gaming X for 110 after rebate
MSI X370 Gaming Carbon Pro for 160 after rebate
Gigabyte Gaming K5 150 after rebate

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005

I flashed it late last night. Set my stuff back for 3.9, and it's golden again. Memory hit 3200+ easily still.